rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet

I thought I would share this good question via PM related to Dominick Cruz's head movement looking weird when he dodges punches.

Quote:TravelerKai Wrote:

at the 0.33 is a good example.

That head movement is not weird. That goes back to what I spoke about with his boxing background. No doubt he probably likes Mayweather and other elusive fighters like Silva, and adapted that aspect of boxing to his game.

Let me break it down.

There are a few philosophies on slipping punches like that.

1. You use your own head as bait. You want a person to punch where your head was last seen at. If they take the bait, you side step and counterpunch/kick. (Silva is notorious for this)

2. Demoralize an opponent and frustrate them. This is 100% mental game. A frustrated opponent will make a much bigger mistake once they have gotten mad. (Mayweather is notorious for that)

3. Part of being defensively responsible. You do not take hit's that are relatively easy to evade, by being in a position to counter.

4. Entices the opponent to drop their guard lower and lower (due to frustration or constant chasing)

5. These types of slips are good for defending against Aggressive Counter Punchers, Peekaboo fighters (Mike Tyson or Sean Sherk), or other variations of high pace fighters. You have to use your reach (especially if you have that advantage), and use alot of straights/crosses to keep the opponent at bay.

There are downsides to these defense styles. Obviously you risk getting hit alot higher depending upon your skill, speed, and hand-eye-coordination. Like number 1 for example, what if the opponent misses where your head was, and hits you flush in the face on accident? What if they use a hook, that you misjudge the full arc on?

There might be a few more an expert boxing coach might know that I did not think about. If some of you guys know any I missed, please share with the group.

Dating Guide for Mainland China Datasheet
TravelerKai's Martial Arts Datasheet
1 John 4:20 - If anyone says, I love God, and hates (detests, abominates) his brother [in Christ], he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, Whom he has not seen.

Messages In This Thread