rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The Star Wars thread

The Star Wars thread

Back in the day, Lucas and Kasdan having a conversation on Return of the Jedi (Episode VI), look what didn't happen in this one, because Lucas vetoed it, versus what Mr. Edgy (((Kasdan))) & Son and Rian Roundhead Johnson wanted and years later got because they're unoriginal and can't imagine for shit. Even then they were trying to edge it in:

The entirety of whats going wrong with messages in entertainment today can be summed in this dialogue.

Fascinating look into their minds:

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWars/commen...iscussion/

Quote:Quote:

Kasdan: I think you should kill Luke and have Leia take over.

Lucas: You don’t want to kill Luke.

Kasdan: Okay, then kill Yoda.

Lucas: I don’t want to kill Yoda. You don’t have to kill people. You’re a product of the 1980s. You don’t go around killing people. It’s not nice.

Kasdan: No, I’m not. I’m trying to give the story some kind of an edge to it.

Lucas: I know you’re trying to make it more realistic, which is what I tried to do when I killed Ben—but I managed to take the edge off of it—and it’s what I tried to do when I froze Han. But this is the end of the trilogy and we’ve already established that there are real dangers. I don’t think we have to kill anyone to prove it.

Kasdan: No one has been hurt.

Lucas: Ben and Han, they’ve both—Luke got his hand cut off.

Kasdan: Ben and Han are fine. Luke got a new hand two cuts later.

Lucas: By killing somebody, I think you alienate the audience.

Kasdan: I’m saying that the movie has more emotional weight if someone you love is lost along the way; the journey has more impact.

Lucas: I don’t like that and I don’t believe that.

Kasdan: Well, that’s all right.

Lucas: I have always hated that in movies, when you go along and one of the main characters gets killed. This is a fairytale. You want everybody to live happily ever after and nothing bad happens to anybody.

Kasdan: I hate it when characters get killed, too.

Lucas: Oh, you do.

Kasdan: I do.

Lucas: I resent it and I resented it when I was a little kid. I would watch and there would be these five guys and one of them would be the funny clown and halfway through, one of them gets killed. Why did they kill the lead? He was the best character.

Marquand: I felt that about Ben the first time I saw Star Wars.

Kasdan: But that one worked like crazy.

Lucas: Yes, I know. But we’ve done that. The same thing with Han. The biggest reaction we got was when people asked, “How can you leave the movie half finished?” Well, the main thrust of this one is that it has to be fun.

Kasdan: All of our material here is not fun.

Lucas: Well, I know we’ve got the serious side.

Kasdan: We have a lot of grim stuff here.

Lucas: Well, that’s why we have to concentrate on the fun.

Kasdan: There isn’t much fun stuff. There is the Jabba stuff.

Lucas: That’s fun.

Kasdan: And the Ewok stuff and that’s it.

Lucas: There are three parts to the movie: Jabba, the Ewoks, and Luke and the Emperor. Luke and the Emperor are not fun and the other two are. I think that we can roll along with the fun parts and still have this undercurrent of a fairly serious study of father and son, and good and evil. The whole concept of the original film is that Luke redeems his father, which is the classic fairytale: a good father/bad father who the good son will turn back into the good father. We can have a serious line and still have a fairly light film.

The whole point of the film, the whole emotion that I am trying to get at the end of this film, is for you to be real uplifted, emotionally and spiritually, and feel absolutely good about life. That is the greatest thing that we could possibly ever do.

REVENGE OF THE JEDI STORY CONFERENCE TRANSCRIPT, JULY 13 TO JULY 17, 1981 from The Making of Return of the Jedi book by J.W. Rinzler.

The man had a social conscience (I hate that word) and not in the SJW sense, more hippie like. Funny I heard Mel Gibson saying that when he is making films he sticks to a mantra: Entertain, Educate, and then finally Elevate (if your lucky) in that order.

The new films are less fantasy and heroic aspiration and more sullen psychoananlysis to reflect a darker time, but the 70's were incredibly dark, not only in film but in the USA and further afield, and Star Wars was an antidote to that which is half the reason it had its insane success! They went with reimagined Battlestar Galactica and not what made it successful in the first place which wasn't the bloody physical sets they autistically go about....it was the story and the escapism and the serial nature of it. 1940's style.

Look what Marvel is, all humour and people flock to it because precisely because its not dreary front facing existential Oscar bait.

Messages In This Thread