rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Healthy Masculinity Week at Vanderbilt

Healthy Masculinity Week at Vanderbilt

Quote: (09-06-2015 10:16 PM)Sombro Wrote:  

Quote: (09-06-2015 09:59 PM)CRR Wrote:  

Just a few weeks ago it must've been anti-bullying week, and two women that I went to HS with (mediocrely attractive) posted rants against bullying, how their kids are now bullied. When we we were in HS, they were both constantly fucked by a couple of guys who constantly bullied smaller kids. Funny thing is, it was a friend who messaged me and pointed this out.

Do fathers no longer teach their sons the basics in self-defense?
I can remember being 9 or 10 and my dad showing me some basic boxing/blocking moves and basic wrestling holds (he wrestled in college). Every rambunctious boy loves to learn that shit at that age.
I got taunted probably an average amount in school, which I just did my best to stoically ignore, but the minute it got physical, I *always* ended it then and there, to be thenceforth left alone.
"You have a right to self-defense," my dad used to say. (r.i.p.)
Can't argue with Natural Law.

When I hear mothers nowadays complain about "bullies" I just have to shake my head and wonder if there's a father in the picture.

An ineffectual father who is present is actually sadder than an absentee father.

---

Mothers raise boys.
Fathers raise men.

I agree with what you are saying, and I was always able to defend myself, and was never picked on. I was always of average size, moderate athletic ability, and since I played sports was friends with bigger kids.

However I think there are a lot of boys who are smaller (or hit puberty later) and are much more inclined to get picked on. All the self defense in the world won't help them against an aggressive bigger kid who knows how to fight.

One of my proudest moments in HS was punching a few kids who were picking on a smaller kid. The smaller kid had done nothing wrong except for being a smaller human, and being a quiet introvert.

Point being is that not every man is capable of being "Alpha", which would negate the term anyway (just like how every woman is supposedly beautiful negates the term itself). Some men are going to be smaller, some are going to be more reserved. Sure, it is important to learn self defense, but it is also important to focus on working with the cards one has been dealt with, focusing on one's strengths, and improving weaknesses with realistic expectations depending on the individual.

In fact, I'd say it's "Alpha" to protect those kids who are physically weaker, invite them to the gym, and in return see if they'll help you with your computer science project.

Messages In This Thread