rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

What to make of the Iran deal?

What to make of the Iran deal?

Quote: (04-05-2015 07:03 PM)Old Fritz Wrote:  

Quote: (04-05-2015 06:50 PM)Paracelsus Wrote:  

Quote: (04-05-2015 05:47 PM)Old Fritz Wrote:  

Quote: (04-05-2015 05:41 PM)Orion Wrote:  

Quote: (04-05-2015 05:52 AM)ElJefe Wrote:  

I don't know what to make of the Iran deal.

On the one hand, the Iranians/Persian are a far more natural ally than the Arabs, who lie, cheat and backstab. Had we any sense, we would've annihilated their bedouin asses long ago.

On the other hand, it is not clear where the sympathies of those who have real power in Iran lie. The Iranians attacked the embassy in 1979 (an act of war), they support Hezbollah (mortal enemy), hate Israel (the Jews are the only really trustworthy allies of the West in the Near East). The Revolutionary Guard supported militias that attacked American forces in Iraq and Afghanistan. In general, we should've toppled the regime in Tehran long ago.

For the West, it seems, as horrible as it sounds, that it is to all our advantage that the Arabs, Turks and Persians keep each other busy slaughtering each other. Compartmentalizing their conflicts prevents them from directing their aggression towards us.

But can we effectively monitor the Iranians if those calling the shots in Tehran renege on the deal?

If they do renege, what is our insurance policy? Is the missile shield fully operational yet?

Yes, Israel is very valuable American ally, it took part in 0 wars waged by US

Why would Israel participate in any of the US wars?

For the same reason countries like Australia and the UK participate in the US's wars: because the US indirectly subsidises your defence spending by being a major ally with nuclear weapons such that you don't have to develop or stockpile your own.

We didn't give Israel any of our troops in their wars. At least I don't recall. Besides, Israeli troops in a place like Iraq or Afghanistan? That would be a potential diplomatic incident.

"I cannot recall a time during my public life when our two countries have had a closer defense relationship. The U.S. and Israel are cooperating closely in areas such as missile defense technology, the Joint Strike Fighter, and in training exercises such as Juniper Stallion...our bilateral relationship and this dialogue is so critical because Israel lives at the focal point of some of the biggest security challenges facing the free world: violent extremism, the proliferation of nuclear technologies, and the dilemmas posed by adversarial and failed states. And I think it important, especially at a time of such dramatic change in the region, to reaffirm once more America’s unshakable commitment to Israel’s security."
--Robert Gates, Obama's defence secretary.

Notice I said indirect subsidisation. The threat of US entry into a regional war is enough to spook off most regional powers.

Remissas, discite, vivet.
God save us from people who mean well. -storm

Messages In This Thread