rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

On the importance of leg day

On the importance of leg day

It will help you guys to think of the squat as less of a "leg day" thing and more as a fundamental human body movement, which requires frequent practice. I've fixed many people's chronic back and knee issues with squatting, then transformed their strength and fitness afterwards.

Your legs won't necessarily get too huge from squatting. If they do, you're doing too many reps per sets, you're getting fat or you're just imagining it. I've been doing daily squatting John Broz style (look it up) for 4 months now and my legs actually have gone down a tiny bit in size (-1cm) although they look thicker and more defined. The trick is heavy weights (my 1RM is 2.5xBW, and I frequently train with about 2xBW), low reps (usually 2-3) and a zillion sets.

I'm an easy gainer, I put on muscles (and fat) relatively easily, and even I don't get ridiculously huge legs just because I squat a lot. Some of my lifting partners (I do powerlifting) are skinnier guys who squat even more weights, and if you look at them (they're athletic and fit, but slim) you wouldn't believe it. You're not in any danger of becoming Hulk-legged by squatting a few times a week. Just don't do the stupid bodybuilding squat till your legs burn and pump, but think practicing the squat movement for strength and movement quality instead.

Leg press is not a substitute because it's a very unnatural (and rather useless) movement: knee extension without hip extension, also it doesn't have any requirement for balance.

Messages In This Thread