Roosh V Forum
On the importance of leg day - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Life (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-5.html)
+---- Forum: Fitness (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-6.html)
+---- Thread: On the importance of leg day (/thread-32353.html)

Pages: 1 2

On the importance of leg day - The Beast1 - 01-22-2014

I loathe going to the gym on leg day. It's true. Tuesday is leg day for me which hilariously is the worst day of the week. Tuesdays suck hard. And to make matters worse, it's the longest set of movements between squats and deadlifts so i'm in the gym for at least an hour twenty.

I know a lot of guys neglect their legs for arms and chest. I want to explain the number 1 reason why I continue to do squats and deadlifts.

Posture, strut, and gait.

These three things are by far the most important part of leg exercises. When I walk back to my office after leg day I feel like god. I walk around like I have a million dollars. It shows too. Walking when your legs are sore gives you this strange "dignitary" walk. I feel like Putin walking in on the scared little Obama.

So while you may neglect legs and get a swole upper body, you can add significantly to your appearance by getting a walk that adds dignity and presence to your being. And you get a nice butt too. [Image: banana.gif]

On the importance of leg day - Isaac Jordan - 01-22-2014

Couldn't agree more. It amazes me how many regulars I consistently see at my gym NEVER doing any leg exercises.

Another important point that should be made is that leg exercises don't just benefit your lower body. Muscle-building requires large amounts of anabolic hormones, like testosterone and growth hormone, and one of the best ways to encourage production of these is to engage in heavy, compound lifts that work large amounts of muscles at once, like squats, deadlifts, and lunges.

I'm no doctor, but I'd venture that by forgoing leg exercises, a guy is probably only producing about half the T and other hormones needed to promote muscle growth. So theoretically, a good set of squats could do more for your biceps than a set of curls.

On the importance of leg day - Doctor - 01-22-2014

Pretty much and free weight leg exercise works your core and back. My 600+ squat and deadlift has given me a back that is all business. So business it could run it's own meeting at the oval office. You are not a bad mofo until you have a serious back and you won't get there without training legs.

On the importance of leg day - Remington - 01-22-2014

Isaac is on point. You have a much larger testosterone output when you squat and deadlift compared to working upper body.

Don't forget to put some work in on your hamstrings. Single leg curls with three second negatives will make that muscle blow up.

On the importance of leg day - Mage - 01-22-2014

For me legs and back take somewhere 70% of my training. I actually like squatting and training legs. I also find mucled legs aesthetically pleasing so I have no issues with leg training.

I beleive the "leg day" paradigm is what actually stagnates most people from doing enough leg work to learn to like it. I do not have leg days or any other isolation days. I squat at start of every training and then I do an additional leg exercise (cycle calves and hamstrings) every training. After this I proceed at training back and chest (cycle lower back, higher back and chest) and then in the end it is time for some minimal arm or shoulder work.

My arms are still big. They grow with minimal arm work from the testosterone released by leg and back work.

On the importance of leg day - hoops330 - 01-22-2014

I always had trouble gaining weight... and then I started squatting. Problem solved

On the importance of leg day - Remington - 01-22-2014

Quote: (01-22-2014 04:01 PM)Mage Wrote:  

For me legs and back take somewhere 70% of my training. I actually like squatting and training legs. I also find mucled legs aesthetically pleasing so I have no issues with leg training.

I beleive the "leg day" paradigm is what actually stagnates most people from doing enough leg work to learn to like it. I do not have leg days or any other isolation days. I squat at start of every training and then I do an additional leg exercise (cycle calves and hamstrings) every training. After this I proceed at training back and chest (cycle lower back, higher back and chest) and then in the end it is time for some minimal arm or shoulder work.

My arms are still big. They grow with minimal arm work from the testosterone released by leg and back work.

If I was you, I wouldn't squat every time you work out. Your knees can only take some much stress ever so often. Be careful with what you do or you can really screw yourself up.

On the importance of leg day - Statsi - 01-22-2014

Us stronglifts guys are beasting our legs 3 days a week, the worst part is walking down stairs right after.

On the importance of leg day - Bacchus - 01-22-2014

[Image: legday.jpg]

On the importance of leg day - TigerMandingo - 01-22-2014

Would you guys say leg presses are a decent substitute for squats? I know squats are king but I was just wondering if heavy leg presses will get the job done in terms of building quads. To be honest, every time I do squats, it feels out of whack, correct form and all. I'm willing to sacrifice the gains offered by doing squats in favor of something safer.

On the importance of leg day - Doctor - 01-22-2014

Quote: (01-22-2014 06:15 PM)Cunnilinguist Wrote:  

Would you guys say leg presses are a decent substitute for squats? I know squats are king but I was just wondering if heavy leg presses will get the job done in terms of building quads. To be honest, every time I do squats, it feels out of whack, correct form and all. I'm willing to sacrifice the gains offered by doing squats in favor of something safer.

There is no such thing as an unsafe exercise, there is only an unsafe way to perform them.

If it feels weird,
-check and recheck your form
-have someone else (knowledgable) check and re check your form
-Ab work
-shoes. I prefer oly lifting shoes. You can use wrestling shoes, chuck tailors, barefoot, etc. Your feet are your base and you need to make them as solid as possible.
-Ab work
-Flexibility and mobility
-Ab work
-Any and all supporting muscles (i.e. hamstrings as they are weak on everyone.)

That should be a start. Leg press is best used as a supplemental exercise, not a main movement.

On the importance of leg day - cool - 01-22-2014

Quote: (01-22-2014 06:15 PM)Cunnilinguist Wrote:  

Yes, leg press builds up your quads.

Another option is to do front squats if you want to hit your quads and still have a squatting movement in your routine.

On the importance of leg day - Only One Man - 01-22-2014

Agreed, although I don't ever do squats and deads on the same day.

On the importance of leg day - theking - 01-22-2014

while leg day is important (tomorrow shucks), lets not forget that if you are lifting for appearance, legs are probably the least important muscle group. To the people talking about the 'extra' testosterone that doing squats and deadlifts produces, this increase is most likely negligible in the greater picture of things. Of course having a large upper body and a smaller lower can look ridiculous at times, but lets face it, most women simply can't appreciate a good set of legs while wearing clothing.

Now that being said, nothing beats a long workout filled with heavy squats and or deadlifts to make one feel pretty bad ass. And while these are probably the best leg exercises in general (well at least squats), lets not forget that many advanced bodybuilders simply do leg raises and the leg press etc. for the majority of their lower body training.

On the importance of leg day - CaP7 - 01-22-2014

I start my lifting week with legs on tues. After two full days of rest. It's by far the most challenging day and I mentally get up for it like nothing else. To me, it serves as my competitive outlet.

I finally starting gaining weight again by straight up increasing my fat intake. Don't trim the ribeye steak, don't drain the hamburger fat, and by thigh meat chicken instead of breast. Plus side of it is that food tastes better.

Leg press works better if you learn proper squat form and flexibility first. My 2c.

On the importance of leg day - Rotisserie - 01-23-2014

Has anyone had their abs become more pronounced thanks to squats specifically? I feel they've made a difference, on par with sprinting.

The other benefit is my legs have gotten A LOT heavier/bigger in the past 2 months, and I tried doing ab ripper x for the first time in about 6 months. I used to be able to crank out 2 sessions of that video in a row, but when I tried Sunday, my hip flexors and lower abs simply could not cope. My pelvic V became a lot more pronounced. Unfortunately, my hip flexors are STILL sore from just ONE (lackadaisical) ab ripper x session… can't wait till I can do squats and try the video again.

On the importance of leg day - Only One Man - 01-23-2014

Quote: (01-22-2014 10:20 PM)theking Wrote:  

while leg day is important (tomorrow shucks), lets not forget that if you are lifting for appearance, legs are probably the least important muscle group. To the people talking about the 'extra' testosterone that doing squats and deadlifts produces, this increase is most likely negligible in the greater picture of things. Of course having a large upper body and a smaller lower can look ridiculous at times, but lets face it, most women simply can't appreciate a good set of legs while wearing clothing.

Now that being said, nothing beats a long workout filled with heavy squats and or deadlifts to make one feel pretty bad ass. And while these are probably the best leg exercises in general (well at least squats), lets not forget that many advanced bodybuilders simply do leg raises and the leg press etc. for the majority of their lower body training.

Unless you have some sort of injury preventing you from being able to do them safely, squats, deads, and variations of squats and deads need to be in your lifting routine to have a well balanced, functional and athletic body.

If you don't really lift heavy and mostly do bodyweight type stuff, you should still be doing bodyweight squats, box jumps, sprints, ect.

There is no way around it.

On the importance of leg day - Only One Man - 01-23-2014

Quote: (01-23-2014 12:11 AM)Rotisserie Wrote:  

Has anyone had their abs become more pronounced thanks to squats specifically? I feel they've made a difference, on par with sprinting.

The other benefit is my legs have gotten A LOT heavier/bigger in the past 2 months, and I tried doing ab ripper x for the first time in about 6 months. I used to be able to crank out 2 sessions of that video in a row, but when I tried Sunday, my hip flexors and lower abs simply could not cope. My pelvic V became a lot more pronounced. Unfortunately, my hip flexors are STILL sore from just ONE (lackadaisical) ab ripper x session… can't wait till I can do squats and try the video again.

Absolutely dude. If you are doing squats, deadlifts, cleans, overhead press, pullups, dips, ect, consistently and with good form, you will get most of the ab work you need from those. Any other ab work you do on top is like adding a few drops of hot sauce to a huge burrito smothered in spicy green chile.

On the importance of leg day - Vroom - 01-23-2014

More than 1 shiela has told me that the first thing they check out on a guy is his butt. I know, I know - don't listen to what they say - but it does make sense.

If male attractiveness is related to strength, his butt should be a good indicator of strength since the glutes are the strongest muscle in the human body, with other leg muscles close behind. With this in mind, you neglect deadlifts and squats at your own peril.

It was deadlift day 2 days ago - my whole skeleton hurts, but I feel powerful. And when you feel powerful, you are powerful.

On the importance of leg day - Mage - 01-23-2014

Quote: (01-22-2014 05:36 PM)Remington Wrote:  

Quote: (01-22-2014 04:01 PM)Mage Wrote:  

If I was you, I wouldn't squat every time you work out. Your knees can only take some much stress ever so often. Be careful with what you do or you can really screw yourself up.

I am always careful but my knees show no signs of weariness. It is important to squat below parallel, so that knees are not exposed to constant and uninterrupted stress that happens when you only do partial squats like many guys do.

On the importance of leg day - zatara - 01-23-2014

The vast majority of men would be far better off using their time dedicated to leg day to do upper body workouts instead. Unless you're playing a sport leg workouts are pretty much useless.

The increase in testosterone is very temporary and is almost equalled by doing big compound movements for your upper body - deadlift, bench etc. Doing 4 upper body days instead of 3 upper body days has far more of an effect on your upper body muscle mass than the miniscule benefit from doing squats does.

Chances are the only time a woman is going to see your upper thighs is after you've fucked her: until that time you've got pants, swim shorts, boxers etc on.

Until you reach a stage where you're 100% happy with your upper body, and find yourself having excess free gym time, I wouldn't bother.

full disclosure: I've gone through periods of doing heavy leg work when working out while playing college level rugby, and I've gone through periods of just working out for myself/girls and only working my upper body. Yes, I was a better all-round athlete when I was doing a leg day. No, this didn't help me pull in the slightest. In fact, when I was able to drop leg day and add more upper body exercises it made me look in even better shape and score higher quality girls at the beach / in bars.

On the importance of leg day - Horus - 01-23-2014

Quote: (01-23-2014 06:23 AM)zatara Wrote:  

The vast majority of men would be far better off using their time dedicated to leg day to do upper body workouts instead. Unless you're playing a sport leg workouts are pretty much useless.

The increase in testosterone is very temporary and is almost equalled by doing big compound movements for your upper body - deadlift, bench etc. Doing 4 upper body days instead of 3 upper body days has far more of an effect on your upper body muscle mass than the miniscule benefit from doing squats does.

Chances are the only time a woman is going to see your upper thighs is after you've fucked her: until that time you've got pants, swim shorts, boxers etc on.

Until you reach a stage where you're 100% happy with your upper body, and find yourself having excess free gym time, I wouldn't bother.

full disclosure: I've gone through periods of doing heavy leg work when working out while playing college level rugby, and I've gone through periods of just working out for myself/girls and only working my upper body. Yes, I was a better all-round athlete when I was doing a leg day. No, this didn't help me pull in the slightest. In fact, when I was able to drop leg day and add more upper body exercises it made me look in even better shape and score higher quality girls at the beach / in bars.

In my opinion, if you're working out with the sole intention of getting girls, you're getting it all wrong. I realise that everyone has different goals and reasons for working out. However for me, I chose to get strong as a goal in itself - not to get pussy, not to gain confidence.... just to get strong. The result is that I am stronger, get more pussy and have a lot more confidence. My goal is to be strong all-round, and that includes lots of deadlifts and squats, but of course also includes bench press, shoulder press, weighted dips, cleans and pullups. If you can bench press more than you can squat like some guys at my gym, I think there's something wrong there.

Being a man why would anyone be NOT playing sports or doing some other challenging physical activity? Or at least why not have some spare functional strength to be always ready to perform physical tasks if there comes a need?

In fact, when I was able to drop leg day and add more upper body exercises it made me look in even better shape and score higher quality girls at the beach / in bars.

It could all have been in your mind. You like upper body hypertrophy -> you get impressed of yourself looking in mirror -> you get more confidence -> you get more girls.

I like my muscled legs - from my perspective girls like my legs too.

In reality girls like biceps, quads, chest, glutes - everything adds a little to your SMV.

On the importance of leg day - zatara - 01-23-2014

Quote: (01-23-2014 06:39 AM)Horus Wrote:  

In my opinion, if you're working out with the sole intention of getting girls, you're getting it all wrong. I realise that everyone has different goals and reasons for working out. However for me, I chose to get strong as a goal in itself - not to get pussy, not to gain confidence.... just to get strong. The result is that I am stronger, get more pussy and have a lot more confidence. My goal is to be strong all-round, and that includes lots of deadlifts and squats, but of course also includes bench press, shoulder press, weighted dips, cleans and pullups. If you can bench press more than you can squat like some guys at my gym, I think there's something wrong there.

I spent 6 years of my life working out with the sole intention of athleticism/strength - didnt work out all for looks, only for functionality. Once I dropped the rugby I dropped the leg day and got to do 33% extra work on my upper body, and also to focus more on certain muscles for looks than function.

I much prefer the upper body exercise / bodybuilding focused workout. It gets me more attention from women, more respect from guys, and to be honest I enjoy doing it more. Functionally, it makes no negative difference to my life - being able to squat 2x my bodyweight was absolutely useless on a day to day basis outside of sports.

Basically, if you're playing a sport at a decent level I think you absolutely, 100% need to do leg day, its mandatory. But if you're working out for aesthetics/yourself/girls (like 90% of guys on here) its a waste of time that could be better spent on your upper body.

Quote: (01-23-2014 06:53 AM)zatara Wrote:  

Basically, if you're playing a sport at a decent level I think you absolutely, 100% need to do leg day, its mandatory. But if you're working out for aesthetics/yourself/girls (like 90% of guys on here) its a waste of time that could be better spent on your upper body.

Training for yourself is not to be put on the same self as training for aesthetics and girls and involves training legs.

In my gym there is a regular guy who seems to train only arms. He has impressive arms, but his legs are about as thick as his arms even seem to be thinner. Looks very disproportional. And his girlfriend is a fatty. I bet he could get a thinner one if he did some squats.

I believe you probably have thick legs from your rugby days and they remain in proportion even if you work just upper body. At least I have noticed that ex-rugby guys have huge legs. But for most of guys legs work is necessity even if they don't want it.