rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The Soccer Thread

The Soccer Thread

Quote: (05-06-2013 12:04 AM)Athlone McGinnis Wrote:  

Quote: (05-05-2013 09:49 PM)Chunnel Wrote:  

I've grown to appreciate soccer (football) much more in the past five years.

My only quip with the National Leagues is the discrepancy in revenue sharing. My beloved Pescara makes Serie A for the first time since the 90s and gets relegated immediately after 1 season [Image: angry.gif] with a budget that Juventus probably had in 1975....

I don't know how it would be done, but I'd love to see soccer (specifically Serie A, cause I know PL has a slightly better system) adopt a revenue sharing system similar to that of the NFL and MLB where cash is more fairly split.

I agree, this is also one of my major complaints with the game across the globe. I understand that there should be some inequality (bigger teams draw more and probably should get more in fairness), but some of the inequalities in the game are ridiculous. It is becoming too difficult for non-powerhouse clubs to gain promotion to top leagues without becoming total financial basketcases, and that is a problem when leagues are running promotion/relegation systems. That, and the leagues are getting entirely too predictable.

La Liga is the perfect example of the worst problems with this inequality. Madrid and Barca take home nearly all the money thanks to the individualized TV rights system, and most of the other clubs in the league are bankrupt or close to it. The La Liga champions are almost a foregone conclusion every season.

The other big leagues are, for the most part, only somewhat better off. Most of the EPL clubs are comically unprofitable. Hopefully some reforms can change all of this soon.

It was worse with the SPL before the Rangers were relegated. I'm hoping the Bundesliga doesn't become a two horse race, but it'll be hard to overcome Dortmund-Bayern dominance now that Pep is taking over next season and the amount of cash they have to spend.

On another note, Wenger has some cash to spend to boost his Arsenal squad. I'm looking forward to see what he'll do in the summer.

Messages In This Thread