Roosh V Forum
The Soccer Thread - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Everything Else (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: The Soccer Thread (/thread-23589.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

The Soccer Thread - Teedub - 05-05-2013

OK, this is an American site, with a majority American membership, so no hate from anyone for calling it soccer.

We've had the 'Beckham earns more than" thread as our de facto football thread, but I thought I'd make a more conclusive one where it is just an open board, as not to further derail that thread's initial point.

I'll start with this:

Haha. I have to quote the top comment:

Quote:Quote:

Those laughs were fully deserved, that's the standard of football at a cup final?

The Soccer Thread - HeyPete - 05-05-2013

It actually looks exactly the same as the men. Without all the gay sing-alongs.

The Soccer Thread - Frontenac - 05-05-2013

Anyone sit through Liverpool-Everton and United-Chelsea this morning? Not sure I've seen two games in a row that were as bad as those two. Pretty lame of United just to piss away the rest of the season just because they've won the league.

Quote: (05-05-2013 01:46 PM)HeyPete Wrote:  

If you think that looks anything like the men's game at the same level of competition, you're either trolling or blind.

The Soccer Thread - La Familia - 05-05-2013

Quote: (05-05-2013 01:46 PM)Frontenac Wrote:  

Anyone sit through Liverpool-Everton and United-Chelsea this morning? Not sure I've seen two games in a row that were as bad as those two. Pretty lame of United just to piss away the rest of the season just because they've won the league.

Fergie is coasting the rest of the season while looking for further summer transfers. I've heard talks of selling Chicharito and bringing on Falcao--Falcao + RVP = next season is already won. That said, I'm looking forward to the developing Kagawa-RVP team. Hopefully Man U will progress further in the CL next year--would love to see Pep's Bayern vs SAF's Man Utd.

The Soccer Thread - j r - 05-05-2013

That clip is weird. There is crowd noise, but no one in the stands.

Question for soccer fans: do you feel like you're missing out with no playoffs? Or is the Champions League the playoffs?

Quote: (05-05-2013 02:16 PM)j r Wrote:  

Question for soccer fans: do you feel like you're missing out with no playoffs? Or is the Champions League the playoffs?

Haha that's the point, the women's game is so terrible nobody watches. To answer your other question, in the lower divisions, there is automatic promotion to the higher league for the top 2 or sometimes 3 teams. Then there is one final promotion awarded to the winner of a playoff between the next 4 or 5 teams. Out of league of sometimes 24 teams in the lower division, it's super competitive.

The Champions League is a group and knockout competition which features the top 3 or 4 teams from each national league. With 'smaller' countries like Romania or something it isn't the top 3 or whatever, it is just the 1, the champions of that national league. Spain, England, and Germany have their top 4 teams progress. The amount of teams eligible from each league depends on how successful teams from that league have done in previous years of the competition. If, for example, a team from Romania won the Champions League on a regular basis (basically impossible), then Romania's national league would be allowed the top 2 perhaps, rather than just the champions. Just re-read this and it sounds super complicated, but it isn't, it's just hard to explain without it sounding that way.

This is why people, when talking about the Premier League, refer to the 'Top 4' - as the top four final placed teams in the league will be eligible for the Champions League and all the riches that come from participating.

The Soccer Thread - LoveBug - 05-05-2013

Quote: (05-05-2013 02:29 PM)Teedub Wrote:  

Quote: (05-05-2013 02:16 PM)j r Wrote:  

Haha that's the point, the women's game is so terrible nobody watches. To answer your other question, in the lower divisions, there is automatic promotion to the higher league for the top 2 or sometimes 3 teams. Then there is one final promotion awarded to the winner of a playoff between the next 4 or 5 teams. Out of league of sometimes 24 teams in the lower division, it's super competitive.

The Champions League is a group and knockout competition which features the top 3 or 4 teams from each national league. With 'smaller' countries like Romania or something it isn't the top 3 or whatever, it is just the 1, the champions of that national league. Spain, England, and Germany have their top 4 teams progress. The amount of teams eligible from each league depends on how successful teams from that league have done in previous years of the competition. If, for example, a team from Romania won the Champions League on a regular basis (basically impossible), then Romania's nation league would be allowed the top 2 perhaps, rather than just the champions. Just re-read this and it sounds super complicated, but it isn't, it's just hard to explain without it sounding that way.

This is why people, when talking about the Premier League, refer to the 'Top 4' - as the top four final placed teams in the league will be eligible for the Champions League and all the riches that come from participating.

Not for American football fans... See its a little different when you have the dominant team of the world, it becomes a little more fun to watch

Quote: (05-05-2013 02:03 PM)Teedub Wrote:  

If you think that looks anything like the men's game at the same level of competition, you're either trolling or blind.

Not trolling. Not blind. It's soccer. I worked in sports media for many years, the only thing detested as much as soccer was wrestling.

The Soccer Thread - j r - 05-05-2013

I roughly understand how the Champions League works. I was just wondering if anyone feels like the PL or La Liga are lacking because there's no playoffs. I was in Barcelona on 2011 when they beat Man U, incredible scene.

Also, I think American sports leagues would benefit from moving to a relegation system. MLB and the NBA especially have been watered down due to expansion.

Quote: (05-05-2013 02:38 PM)HeyPete Wrote:  

Not trolling. Not blind. It's soccer. I worked in sports media for many years, the only thing detested as much as soccer was wrestling.

In America perhaps, but nowhere else!

Quote: (05-05-2013 02:07 PM)La Familia Wrote:  

Quote: (05-05-2013 01:46 PM)Frontenac Wrote:  

Fergie is coasting the rest of the season while looking for further summer transfers. I've heard talks of selling Chicharito and bringing on Falcao--Falcao + RVP = next season is already won. That said, I'm looking forward to the developing Kagawa-RVP team. Hopefully Man U will progress further in the CL next year--would love to see Pep's Bayern vs SAF's Man Utd.

I'd much rather Ronnie back, but Falcao would be alright! Either way, I'd probably push Rooney into midfield, or sell him.

Quote: (05-05-2013 02:43 PM)Teedub Wrote:  

In America perhaps, but nowhere else!

Sorry man, It's where I reside.
For many, you outgrow soccer by age seven and eight and move on to more challenging, interesting sports.

Although I have noticed soccer catching on with the SWPL crowd.

Quote: (05-05-2013 02:50 PM)HeyPete Wrote:  

For many, you outgrow soccer by age seven and eight and move on to what Americans perceive as more challenging, interesting sports.

Fixed that for you!

The Soccer Thread - Excelsior - 05-05-2013

I played soccer as a little kid, but got a bit too big for it as I entered my teenage years. I wanted to be more violent than the game allowed me, so I began playing American football. Managed to get to the NCAA's first division before leaving that game a couple of years back.

I began paying more attention to soccer then (I'm more inclined to call it football now, but I'll stick with soccer for the sake of differentiation). This began through my observation of my national team (Jamaica), and spread from there as I began following my team's players and their club careers across the world. I also started following Jamaican-descendants, which has led me to keep a close eye on England players and their club careers (there are dozens of players with Jamaican heritage involved in England's system from youth to senior levels, and up to 9 at the senior level right now).

International football is my favorite brand of football. While I appreciate club football across the world (Champions leagues and all that), I'm mainly sort of a nationalist fan-my interest in the game is usually tied to how many Jamaicans are involved in it, and I tend to primarily follow the teams that include Jamaicans. This year, that meant my EPL club was Reading (3 Jamaican nationals, 5 total Jamaican descendants) and my MLS clubs have been Colorado and Portland (each with 2 Jamaicans). I also keep a close eye on Norway's league to see how Aalesund (3 Jamaicans) is doing, and my eye is always trained closely on the English Championship (especially Watford, Huddersfield and Birmingham City this year). We've got some guys in Finland, Malaysia, Turkey and Sweden that I also keep an eye on.

As you can guess, I'm also a diehard fan of my national team. I pretty much live to see the Reggae Boyz play. We've got a friendly against Tottenham on May 23 (less than 20 days!) and commence another set of world cup qualifiers in June (Mexico and the USA at home, followed by Honduras away). I'm pumped for all of this.

Anyway, I'm glad to have this thread since I've found that, as an American, there are not a lot of people to talk soccer with. The American attitude towards the game kind of annoys me-it is too dismissive and often ignorant, and few bother paying much attention to the game. It gets quite annoying after a while.

For many, you outgrow soccer by age seven and eight and move on to more challenging, interesting sports.

Although I have noticed soccer catching on with the SWPL crowd.

When I spoke in my last post about the American attitude to the game and how it bugged me, this is what I was talking about.

Quote: (05-05-2013 02:52 PM)Teedub Wrote:  

For many, you outgrow soccer by age seven and eight and move on to what Americans KNOW are more challenging, interesting sports.

Fixed that for you!

Re-fixed.

I'm just messing with you man. I can handle a little women's soccer -- if they are hot. Nothing like nice soccer legs.

The Soccer Thread - LoveBug - 05-05-2013

Quote: (05-05-2013 02:57 PM)Athlone McGinnis Wrote:  

I played soccer as a little kid, but got a bit too big for it as I entered my teenage years. I wanted to be more violent than the game allowed me, so I began playing American football. Managed to get to the NCAA's first division before leaving that game a couple of years back.

I began paying more attention to soccer then (I'm more inclined to call it football now, but I'll stick with soccer for the sake of differentiation). This began through my observation of my national team (Jamaica), and spread from there as I began following my team's players and their club careers across the world. I also started following Jamaican-descendants, which has led me to keep a close eye on England players and their club careers (there are dozens of players with Jamaican heritage involved in England's system from youth to senior levels, and up to 9 at the senior level right now).

International football is my favorite brand of football. While I appreciate club football across the world (Champions leagues and all that), I'm mainly sort of a nationalist fan-my interest in the game is usually tied to how many Jamaicans are involved in it, and I tend to primarily follow the teams that include Jamaicans. This year, that meant my EPL club was Reading (3 Jamaican nationals, 5 total Jamaican descendants) and my MLS clubs have been Colorado and Portland (each with 2 Jamaicans). I also keep a close eye on Norway's league to see how Aalesund (3 Jamaicans) is doing, and my eye is always trained closely on the English Championship (especially Watford, Huddersfield and Birmingham City this year). We've got some guys in Finland, Malaysia, Turkey and Sweden that I also keep an eye on.

As you can guess, I'm also a diehard fan of my national team. I pretty much live to see the Reggae Boyz play. We've got a friendly against Tottenham on May 23 (less than 20 days!) and commence another set of world cup qualifiers in June (Mexico and the USA at home, followed by Honduras away). I'm pumped for all of this.

Anyway, I'm glad to have this thread since I've found that, as an American, there are not a lot of people to talk soccer with. The American attitude towards the game kind of annoys me-it is too dismissive and often ignorant, and few bother paying much attention to the game. It gets quite annoying after a while.

Your a true fan Athlone, because the Reggea Boyz will be penciled in at 6 in the hex. It's not their fault, I like their spirit, and they give their all of a nation that size..

The Soccer Thread - Kingsley Davis - 05-05-2013

Cricket vs baseball thread. IRT for 6 (cricket term).
[Image: attachment.jpg11829]   

Quote: (05-05-2013 03:20 PM)LoveBug Wrote:  

Your a true fan Athlone, because the Reggea Boyz will be penciled in at 6 in the hex. It's not their fault, I like their spirit, and they give their all of a nation that size..

We could finish 6th. We could finish 3rd. We could finish 4th. We're 6th right now after 3 games, a point behind the Mexicans.

Being a Jamaica fan is made easier by the fact that we're not actually as bad as people think we are. This team is good enough on talent to finish 3rd or 4th in this Hex (New Zealand does not scare me at all). We managed to make the world cup in 1998, and our current team is better than the one we had then (significantly larger number of actual professionals in our squad now). Any team capable of going into the Azteca and getting a result is capable of doing better than last in this hex.

The things most likely to stand in our way are of tactical and financial origins. Jamaica's biggest obstacle in this hex is Jamaica.

These June games are going to be crucial. We have beaten both the USA and Mexico at home before (we've not lost a competitive home match in years now). We need to do it again. Anything less than 4 points out of these next 3 games and I think we're sunk.

The Soccer Thread - pants - 05-05-2013

I like British language better than american. Am I free to call it football?

Origin of american football "Fuck this shit, so hard controlling the ball with my feet. I am just gonna pick that mother fucker up! Damn, this round ball is so hard carrying around. Let's make it in a shape more easy to carry!"

Quote: (05-05-2013 03:34 PM)pants Wrote:  

I like British language better than american. Am I free to call it football?

Origin of american football "Fuck this shit, so hard controlling the ball with my feet. I am just gonna pick that mother fucker up! Damn, this round ball is so hard carrying around. Let's make it in a shape more easy to carry!"

American football's roots come from the post civil war era, resulting from efforts by the sons of civil war generals to create a game that approximated the combat they were interested in. Rugby is the direct base for American football, not soccer, though rugby itself is a descendant of soccer. American football can only be called an indirect descendant of soccer, so it is unlikely that the difficulty of foot-control and ball-shape played a role in the game. If that argument ever happened, then it happened in England with the invention of Rugby.

On a side note, the Canadians took rugby and did something similar at around the same time (perhaps a year or two earlier), which is where we get Canadian football from.

Gary Neville has become the best football pundit I've ever read. Yet another exquisite article from him, this time about how English footie can learn from the German model. Athlone, you'll be interested as I know you admire the German model.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footbal...^headlines

Yet again, the Daily Mail has all things manosphere contained inside!

Quote: (05-05-2013 04:00 PM)Teedub Wrote:  

Gary Neville has become the best football pundit I've ever read. Yet another exquisite article from him, this time about how English footie can learn from the German model. Athlone, you'll be interested as I know you admire the German model.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footbal...^headlines

Excellent read. Frankly I think Jamaica could stand to learn a thing or two from the Germans as well. If we ever do start to look for a new technical director and coaching staff in the future (hopefully we do well enough this cycle not to need to do this too soon), I'm hoping that we start in Germany.

The Soccer Thread - Kingsley Davis - 05-05-2013

More ammo for the haters, SAFE SOCCER.

"Yes, Spring is here. Time to get your cleats on! We play a game of safer soccer each weekend. You're welcome to join us. The "safer" is because we play with a foam ball that doesn't hurt when you accidentally get hit by our ball or kick using your toe. Many players initially played with us just due to our location. But once you get accidentally hit in the face with the foam ball you'll never want to use a 5 again, especially if you care about the long-term health of your brain and hate wearing a cup. Most of our players have become "switchers," who prefer our ball.
We accept all skill levels. The ball allows anyone, even people who don't know what a toe-ball is, to play. Some players were newbies to soccer, though by now many of them are pretty good.

Most people find our game more fun than regular soccer because when players withstand fast hits to the ball without any pain it liberates them. They don't need to avoid the ball's "future potential trajectory zone" due to the fear of getting hit in the face. Instead, they can focus more on having fun, and not care about 100 mph fastballs. Ironically, they can be a little more intense, and get a better workout, because our ball can't ever be like a weapon. Also, because our ball is lighter and does not even need to be kicked with the side of the foot, there is less torque/stress going to the knee of the kicking leg."

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/a...73936.html