rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The Soccer Thread

The Soccer Thread

Alot of people will name great players as their favourites of all time. But - which players are your cult favourites? They may not be the best players in the world - but they had something about them which was unique.

For me it would be Teddy Sheringham. His vision and ability to do the simple pass was wonderful. At his best he could play the game like he was watching the players on a computer game. Interestingly - Alan Shearer said he was the most intelligent striker he ever played with. And this was back at a time when England has never had so many great strikers competing for places.

Sheringham single handedly won the European Cup for Man Utd in 1999. He came on as substitue with 10 minutes to go. And he scored the equaliser - and then set up the winner. With both goals taking place in injury time.

Also - Sheringham was responsible for England's qualification for World Cup 2002 when England beat Greece. Again - he came on as a substitute. Scored the equaliser. And then won the free kick which David Beckham then converted with the best free kick I have ever seen him take:

Still - for me. The best thing about his game was his ability to draw defenders on to him - before releasing his strike partner with a simple throughball which would put them through on goal.

Just common sense really - yet so many players overcomplicate things or panic when they get near the opposition's goal. For me - this is the pass that sticks out in mind. It isn't the best pass of his career. But it is a good example of the simplicity of his thinking - and is from a game where Sheirngham and Shearer both scored twice to beat Holland 4-1.

Messages In This Thread