rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Gaming while looking scary, menacing, or imposing.

Gaming while looking scary, menacing, or imposing.

Quote: (03-16-2015 10:16 PM)MikeS Wrote:  

Quote: (03-16-2015 09:53 PM)Beyond Borders Wrote:  

Quote: (03-16-2015 12:19 PM)MikeS Wrote:  

Quote: (03-16-2015 11:05 AM)Beyond Borders Wrote:  

In foreign countries the shaved head and goatee look comes across as too menacing, especially if you're a big guy at all. You can get away with in the states because it's kind of pop culture to dress half-gangster, but I think women abroad associate it with thugs and hard-asses as portrayed in movies. I used to always have a shaved head and goatee when I was younger - it was kind of my signature look from 17 - 25. But I tried it a few times in Asia and I could definitely feel a difference in the way people treated me.

Foreign countries and abroad are rather comprehensive terms.

Sure they are. But can you name anywhere besides the states where the shaved head and goatee is widely embraced and doesn't give women the wrong idea about you? ...

Well, when it's a common look partially for fashion reasons (here in Bulgaria more the short buzz and facial stubble than shaved head with goatee) - and because a lot of guys, the majority of them probably not real life thugs at all, like that it gives them a tougher look - I don't really think it necessarily gives much of a negative impression, and certainly not among women in their teens, 20s and 30s.
Unless you couple it with other potential "thug indicators" like visible neck, face or hand tattoos.

I'm certain there are many locations around the world - most of Asia probably prime examples - where a shaved head and a goatee will make a negative, "scary" first impression, but I honestly don't believe it's the case in large parts of Europe.
But haircut and stubble/beards aside, facial features and other physical characteristics obviously also vary a lot between men. Some just look more naturally imposing than others.

In any case, to narrow the discussion back to specifically the shaven head and goatee look. Just taking off that goatee so both head and face are clean shaven is almost guaranteed to make most men look less intimidating. And a bit younger - when you're at an age where that might be desirable.

Not to be a dick but you just said you don't think that shaved head and goatee make a negative "scary" first impression and then went on to say that taking the goatee off makes most men less intimidating, even if they keep their head shaven.

I get your point that "abroad" is a very broad way to talk about outside America, but I'm not sure if this tangent is going to go anywhere. I was simply offering a why to the concept you seem to already subconsciously understand and agree with.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

Messages In This Thread