rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Travel Hate

Travel Hate

I disagree with the notion that people are jealous haters. I'd argue that they can't comprehend that their notions about life in different parts of the world can be fun and prosperous.

Most people from 1st world countries live under the belief that they have everything they want in life and that everywhere else on Earth is one step away from being on a late night infomercial where a washed up celebrity begs for money to sponsor Charity X. It must be dangerous because they once heard about something bad happening in that country, or that country is a former communist country, or they heard everyone in that country lives in a shack.

They can't get past the idea that their life is perfect and anything contrary to that idea puts their entire paradigm at risk. If life isn't perfect in the US, then maybe capitalism isn't the answer to the meaning of life, maybe democracies aren't perfect, maybe it actually is hard to learn a second language, maybe they don't need 20 guns to protect their house in the suburbs when people get by in places much more dangerous, maybe they could use a smaller car like people in those countries...

People usually bend towards paradigm paralysis or confirmation bias - they only accept that which reinforces their world view.

"I believe life in China under Communist rule would be a nightmare."
"I saw a story on CNN about terrible pollution in Beijing. This confirms my worst suspicions."

"Other countries are dangerous places, little better than the wild west."
"I saw on the news some people were shot in another country, this proves that other countries are dangerous."

"Candy is healthy."
"This candy is apple flavored. Apples are a fruit. It's healthy to eat fruits. This candy must be healthy."

These are some dumb examples, but hopefully I got the point across. People aren't jealous of our travels, they straight up do not understand why you and I would travel in the first place.

If you are going to impose your will on the world, you must have control over what you believe.

Data Sheet Minneapolis / Data Sheet St. Paul / Data Sheet Northern MN/BWCA / Data Sheet Duluth

Messages In This Thread