rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Fiancé left me won’t return engagement ring

Fiancé left me won’t return engagement ring

Quote: (07-06-2018 09:42 AM)Jetset Wrote:  

The old custom, usually recognized by law, is that the ring is collateral against the slut-shame damages of being rejected after publicly announcing your engagement and having to find another man as damaged goods.

Some states have changed things around, and I don't know what state you're in, but make sure you have a clear chain of evidence that "here is how I am proving how much this ring is worth, here is how I am proving that this is why I gave it to her, and here is how I am proving that she is keeping it". Bring the relevant statute or a printout of the controlling case in case the judge isn't familiar with it, although they should be. You want a receipt, some evidence of the engagement afterwards (emails, SMS, even an announcement in the family newsletter, whatever), and her refusal to return it with an implicit admission that she has it.

She'll probably try to claim it was an unconditional gift so showing the intent to marry may be important. Small claims usually cannot do anything but award money, and won't be able to give you the ring back.

I think the scenario your talking about is if the guy left the woman. It sounds like OP was left and I believe rings are conditional of marriage so if marriage doesn't happen legally she should return the ring. Not a laywer here nor do I play one on tv, but I do sometimes smoke pot and watch judge mathis on occasion.

Messages In This Thread