rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

My two best outfits

My two best outfits

Quote: (07-10-2017 10:40 PM)Jagnum Wrote:  

A while ago on this forum, I read if you want to be in the top 5% of men for clothing (style) and the top 5% of men for body (gym), it’s easier to do it with your clothes. More men care about the gym then they care about their style.

Don’t get me wrong. Both are worthwhile investments. But I believe you can get to the top 5% faster with your clothes.

Rather than plugging a bunch of models from magazines and telling you to spend thousands of dollars on designer clothes, I’m going to outline my two best outfits, and share rules that could help you with your wardrobe.

This guide can show you where you might look to shop, what you should keep in mind when buying items, and provide tangible ideas for your style.

-------

Outfit 1:

- Blue square button down Bonobos, Slim/S, Nordstrom Rack $35
- Invisible undershirt jT-v (pack of 3), Collectedthreads.com $39
- White jeans Gap 1969, Skinny fit 30x30, Gap $60
- No show socks Ralph Lauren, one size (pack of 2), Nordstrom $15

[Image: t8TdyS2l.jpg]

The shoes:
- Converse All Star Low Tops White, Size 8.5, Nordstrom Rack $50

[Image: xFndeb0m.jpg]

I wear this outfit during the summer. I keep the top two buttons on the shirt unbuttoned and roll the sleeves up to my elbows.

I didn’t wake up one day and decide, “I’m going to buy this outfit.” I don’t recommend trying to assemble an entire outfit at once.

Last spring I was shopping for new button downs, keeping in mind the rule, “no more plaid”, and bought the blue square shirt, and one other Bonobos shirt. One of my female friends invited me to a “white party” early last summer, and I didn’t have white pants for it, so I went to the Gap and bought a pair of skinny white pants. The undershirts I’ve had for a while, and the accessories I accumulated at different times. So the outfit came together by buying each item separately.

I remember wearing this exact outfit late last summer and getting a long stare from a woman who walked by on the street. Not a girl’s usual shy glance and look away, but a long stare and a smile. After I passed her. I stopped to turn around and look at her. I saw she too had stopped to look back at me, and then she kept walking. I hesitated for five seconds, then ten seconds, then decided, I have to run after her.

It took me four blocks, but I caught up to her, I told her I thought she looked cute and we had a moment back there where we made eye contact. She was extremely happy I came up to talk to her. We exchanged numbers, went on the first date the very next day, and banged. It was the first time I had ever slept with a girl a mere one day after meeting her during the day. I suggested we meet up again over text, but she told me she had a boyfriend. Women…

Did clothes help? Of course. Also, a good haircut. I had a haircut at the time similar to the characters on “Peaky Blinders”. Did I still have to run after her and approach her and run tight first-date game? Yes.

Accessories

Here’s a close-up:
- Timex Weekender Watch with custom leather strap, Purchased at a local store, $95
- Bracelets I saw browsing on Pinterest for bracelet ideas, Guylook.com, $23
- Ring made out of a 90% silver quarter dollar, Kickstarter.com, $50

[Image: eeYtfBgm.jpg]

I saw some dude in a coffee shop wearing this watch and I went up to ask him, “Hey cool watch. Do you remember where you bought it?” He told me and I bought one a few weeks later. I wanted to buy some bracelets, so I looked on Pinterest for ideas for “men’s bracelets”, and found one I liked and bought it online. The ring I bought when I saw this Kickstarter project where a guy was turning state quarters into rings. Really cool. And it’s silver, most quarters are copper and nickel. Took me a year to get it, but very satisfied with the purchased.

-------

Outfit 2:

- Blazer with elbow patches in Italy, Size 36, Store in Naples ~$45
- White pocket square, Suit Supply $30
- White Traveler Shirt non-iron, 15/38, Suit Supply $90
- Invisible undershirt jT-v (pack of 3), Collectedthreads.com $39
- Dark blue slim jeans, Nudie 29x34, Crossroads Trading Co $38
- Wool socks mini cushion, Medium, Icebreaker.com $12

[Image: TlXF9EXl.jpg]

The shoes:
- Boots Johnston & Murphy Fulton Cap, Tan 8 M, Nordstrom $200

[Image: endgIFcm.jpg]

Like Outfit 1, each of these items were purchased at a different time. The new white button down dress shirt (staple for any guy) was because I needed a new one. I wanted a non-iron one, and found something I liked at Suit Supply. The jeans I got lucky finding in a local consignment store. The pocket square I bought years ago, and never used much. Now I always sport a pocket square when I wear a blazer. The blazer I bought when wandering around Naples, Italy a couple years ago. I wear a simple dark brown belt from J Crew (not pictured) a decade ago, and it’s still going strong. The boots I went searching for after reading HankMoody's post on this forum about anyone who could use extra height.

I wore this outfit to my friend of a friend’s holiday party last year. I banged two girls from that party. One was the same night, and one was later on in December after two dates. Both took a ton of game to seal deal. Did the outfit get the bang? No. Did the outfit help? Undoubtedly.

-------

What else do I wear?

- Men’s Bomber Jacket, Zara S, Crossroads Trading Co. $40

[Image: rRbZ38jm.jpg]

This is a mostly waterproof, all-around jacket. I can wear with anything and it goes well with a simple black long-sleeve underneath.

- Jogger pants, Publish size 30, Crossroads Trading Co. $30

[Image: eo0UMQLm.jpg]

Joggers are pants that don’t fall all the way to the shoes. I wore these pants with the boots and approached a cute 20-year old near the park, and I told her I thought she was cute. She immediately turned the compliment on me and told me that she liked my boots, and the bracelets I was wearing. I took her to yoga for our first date and the rest was history.

Also, a pair of black jeans goes with anything. Get black jeans.

- Italian medium blue blazer with patterned florals, 36R, Yoox.com $70
- Navy silk pocket square with white edge, J. Crew $50

[Image: JvjdYI6m.jpg]

This blazer gets compliments from strangers, men and women, when I walk down the street. More than the other one.

-------

Where to shop:

You might be saying, Jagnum, I’m not going to Italy. Where can I find a good blazer?

Well, you’re in luck. Italy can come to you. This is the greatest collection of blazers I’ve found anywhere.

www.yoox.com

I found this website on Black Friday last year, and bought five different blazers. My intent was to keep one or two. It took a few weeks to arrive. When they came, three of the blazers fit, and I kept two. I returned the rest. No cost for return shipping. It’s helpful to have a color in mind, and a price range to filter down your results.

Another good site for buying basics is Asos. White and black tees and basic pants.

www.asos.com

The same thing. You can buy as much as you want, and return shipping is free. I bought a great white short-sleeve “muscle” t-shirt there last year as well.

I purchased five or six items on both sites, tried everything on, kept two items from each site, and returned the rest.

As you can see, I shop at mostly at consignment stores. Go to one in the cool neighborhood near where you live. Nordstrom Rack is a discount store, and and another good option.

Zara, Topman, are all places I’ve bought things before.

For shoes and boots, I’ll usually pay full price, but other than hiking boots, the two pairs of shoes above are the only two I own. I have no qualms buying shoes at full price, but only if I can conceivably wear them everyday.

I’ll often go to these stores without finding anything that fits my style, but that’s why I make a list of things I’d like to eventually buy. Right now I’m looking to add black dress shoes with a buckle. Some days I get lucky, other days I get nothing. Kind of like game.

Then when you have time you’ll find yourself popping into a store after work, browsing around, and you might find something. I’ve slowly built a wardrobe checking items off my list when I need it. Then after six months to a year, I’ll find I've collected everything on my list. Then, I'll make a new list.

-------

Rules for clothes:

Rule #1 – If you’re not getting compliments on the item, you need to change it. Buy something edgier.
The blue large square shirt, I’ve had people pass by me on the street and say “nice shirt”. The joggers with boots, I’ve had people do the same. The white short sleeve tight shirt (not pictured), I’ve had tremendous success with girls I meet while wearing that in day and night. The boots I’ve gotten compliments. Anything that I don’t get compliments on, I try to cycle out of the wardrobe, putting it in a black trash bag stashed in my closet.

Rule #2 – Don’t wear something that 90% of other guys are wearing.
In most large cities in the U.S., the plaid or small square button down is what 90% of guys are wearing when you go out. Don’t wear what everyone else is wearing. I bought the large blue square shirt, because I wanted to get something different than plaid. I have a solid black designer button down I got at Nordstrom Rack, again, not plaid. I wear a blazer when I go out, because 90% of guys aren’t wearing blazers.

Rule #3 – Fit comes first.
If it doesn’t fit, it might be able to be tailored. I’ve tailored and hemmed pants. I’ve never done it for a shirt, although guys do that too. But I’ve found if it doesn’t fit great when I first put it on, tailoring can help, but it won’t breathe life into something that is only okay when you try it on.

-------

Pour conclure: Conclusion:

I’m not the best-dressed, nor do I claim to be. There are some cats on this forum who are much more fly. Exhibit A: Laner. But in the world of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. Most men wear the same boring things. If you are tall, extremely jacked, or have a face carved out of marble, you can get away with wearing ordinary clothes. However, if you are one of those things AND you dress well, you will DESTROY. Regardless of what you look like, interesting clothes and accessories, plus a good haircut that you can keep styled, is going to help.

Game comes first. I did just fine when I was less fit and less well-dressed, but extremely motivated upon reading “Day Bang” to talk to girls with the intent of dating and getting bangs. And extremely motivated upon reading “Bang” to do the same with girls at bars and clubs. The reason I’m putting two of my outfits out there, is that clothes are a part of your vibe. It takes time to improve your style. Hopefully this short guide helps.

Picture of you with clothes on to see if the length is spot on, if you don't mind. I believe that length and fit is key even if you wear a white tee and jeans.

Messages In This Thread