rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Donating to charity/feeling good about yourself

Donating to charity/feeling good about yourself

I don't want to hijack this thread, but OP mentioned that he was interested in the psychic benefits of giving, so I think one should really look at donating one's time, not one's money. There is nothing wrong with donating money - it can be more effective for the recipient, but donating your time will have a more profound effect on you.

I gave a brief speech to some boy scouts about the benefits of community service. When you do this, you put yourself in the shoes of the recipient. You understand their values and challenges. It humbles you. It give you new perspectives. It connects you to a broader community.

Now, this doesn't have to be a soup kitchen. Volunteer to referee or help a youth sports league. There is someone who opens and closes the field. There is usually a team that needs an extra assistant coach. Tucker Max in his book Mate volunteered at an animal shelter as a strategy to get laid because its mostly women there. My father, when he became a widower, visited other from his church who were also mourning and it helped my father get over HIS loss.

Just donating money is a shortcut and you miss most of these benefits.

Messages In This Thread