Roosh V Forum
Donating to charity/feeling good about yourself - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Life (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Donating to charity/feeling good about yourself (/thread-27907.html)

Pages: 1 2

Donating to charity/feeling good about yourself - chyamor - 09-08-2013

So after a string of bad luck since I opened a bank account and transferred my yearly bonus last saturday (totaled card, locked out of house, issues at work every day) I have started giving to homeless yet I still feel depressed somewhat that I dont give enough. Lucky enough to have a job that pays well even though I'm miserable there. (But I am truly great full) Starting a side project with friend to see how that goes

I donated $500 last year to feed the children and now get tons of mail from them every damn week.

So fellow members what do you guys do to feel fulfilled and appreciate all that you truly have (roof, food, any money since its more than a homeless person, etc)

Also any way I can continue to donate to legit charity yet not get tons of mail?? Only a few where money truly goes to the cause not bs administration fee's salary.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl...laries.htm
http://dailycaller.com/2013/06/10/susan-...ses-funds/

once of the reasons why I first went with feed the children. Most goes to the cause...

Donating to charity/feeling good about yourself - loki - 09-09-2013

I try to pay it forward, not back!

Donating to charity/feeling good about yourself - Thomas the Rhymer - 09-09-2013

Maybe approach an old age home or home for disabled people and ask if there is anyone at risk of being evicted for not paying the monthly/annual fees, and then offer to sponsor. It's sad to see mental retarded adults stuck in an institution after their parents die, and then be in danger of eviction because the trust fund runs out.

Alternatively ask them for their wishlist and see where you can help out. You can do random visits to them to make sure that the stuff you got them is still actually in the home and wasn't 'borrowed' by staff members.

Sometimes it's also not about giving money. There's other ways of giving. It's amazing how lonely some people are in the worse-off old age homes. Some of these people were unfortunate enough to outlive all their family members, and they have literally no one. Just visiting people for an hour a week or so would mean the world to them.

Myself, I give random discounts at my medical practice to people who are struggling.

Donating to charity/feeling good about yourself - Hades - 09-09-2013

Quote: (09-09-2013 03:48 AM)Thomas the Rhymer Wrote:  

Alternatively ask them for their wishlist and see where you can help out. You can do random visits to them to make sure that the stuff you got them is still actually in the home and wasn't 'borrowed' by staff members.

This is a problem. I used to bring in small deliveries of homemade bread, pies, and pastries to grandparents in the nursing home but had to quit after a fashion because those fuckers in the kitchen were eating them.

Donating to charity/feeling good about yourself - Grizzly - 09-11-2013

My cousin and her late husband used to spend Thanksgiving working in a soup kitchen. He had grown up in the foster system, and was homeless for a little while after that. He did it because he was thankful that soup kitchens had helped him keep going when he was on the skids.

What I don't like about a lot of charities is that you really don't have any idea what they do with the money you give them, besides the fact that they skim a big percentage off every donation. I donate used objects to Goodwill and shop there. I like Goodwill because they help people improve their condition by giving them jobs and providing low-cost (and tax free!) shopping. You're better off using that $500 to buy a whole bunch of mens' clothing for donation. Goodwill will also give you a receipt so you can deduct it from your taxes. I also give to the BSA, although I question its direction over the last few years. I spent ten years in the Scouts, and those days are some of my happiest memories.

Donating to charity/feeling good about yourself - emuelle1 - 09-11-2013

I'd heard for years that regular giving is supposed to make you a better person, and somehow that things work out your way because of it. I give 10% of each paycheck away. I don't get much of a feeling out of it, if anything, but somehow things work out for me. I gave when I was on unemployment, and over the past summer when I lost 20% of my pay for 6 weeks in the middle of a divorce.

I believe since I give, somehow it comes back to me. Maybe not dollar for dollar. When my paycheck was due to drop 20%, I was freaking out. Somehow it worked out each paycheck that I had just enough to cover my obligations, and an emergency or two. Then people started paying me to help them with yard work and projects, so even though my paycheck was down, I always had cash in my pocket for beer and eating out.

But I get no feeling. I do it more for pragmatic reasons; because I believe it's the right thing to do.

I agree with Grizzly. Most charities are crap. They either have too much overhead, invest in things that aren't even relevant to the giver (like Komen gives a lot of money to Planned Parenthood, which has NOTHING to do with breast cancer). Some charities are dubious, and you have no idea how your money will actually help anybody. I had someone ask if I wanted to donate to Children's Hospital. I started asking about the business structure. He couldn't answer. If Children's Hospital is a for profit, why do they need my donation?

Donating to charity/feeling good about yourself - Courage Reborn - 09-11-2013

Great thread.

I believe that becoming a giver is the highest level a man, or any human being for that matter can achieve. Personally, I am far from this ideal. Have been selfish all my life. Something in my nature I would like to change.

I really have no excuses anymore. How did you guys get started on becoming a more giving person? Or were you just born that way?

Donating to charity/feeling good about yourself - WestCoast - 09-11-2013

Donate anonymously.

You can do this online, link up to bogus email accounts. Done and done. You just save the receipt come tax time

The truth is the only real donation that matters is your time helping someone change their life. But that takes actual work so most people say "fuck it".

Donating to charity/feeling good about yourself - emuelle1 - 09-11-2013

Quote: (09-11-2013 06:02 PM)Courage Reborn Wrote:  

Great thread.

I believe that becoming a giver is the highest level a man, or any human being for that matter can achieve. Personally, I am far from this ideal. Have been selfish all my life. Something in my nature I would like to change.

I really have no excuses anymore. How did you guys get started on becoming a more giving person? Or were you just born that way?

The best thing is to just start. Some people seem to be more naturally inclined toward giving than others. My ex-wife will back me up on the claim that I am NOT a giving person naturally. But like most other things, once you get started and keep at it, you can build on it.

Donating to charity/feeling good about yourself - paninaro - 09-12-2013

Yeah I gave $20 to one charity a few years ago, and they've spent at least that much sending me a mailing every month asking for more $$. Never donating to them again -- check into places to see how much is spent on admin and fundraising.

To me, I'd say focus on direct impact. For example, food banks take donations of money or food. Some use all your $$ to buy food (labor is volunteers). Or just go to your local grocery store, stock up, then drop it off at the food bank. You're making a big and direct impact, and 100% is going to those who need it.

Also just ask around for people in your extended circle to see if anyone needs help. Go buy clothes or toys for a kid, etc.

Once you get to the higher level of donations to certain charities, they'll no longer solicit you with mailings all the time. I donate a good amount to one nonprofit and they have a person who I communicate with directly and meet with, and that's the only time donations will be brought up. No phone calls during dinner, etc.

Remember small things can make a difference too. Tip well, for example.

Donating to charity/feeling good about yourself - emuelle1 - 09-12-2013

Fundraising annoys me. I could never work in the non-profit sector because I won't beg for money. I earn it. I would rather run a for profit business and then give some of the proceeds to charity or to people who need it.

There are places you can check. Charity Navigator is one. It will at least give you an idea of how efficient the charity is and if the money actually goes to the cause or gets eaten up in overhead or benefits to heavy donors.

I used to listen to Dave Ramsey. He said when he gives to a charity, he will inspect their offices and tear through their books to make sure they're not wasting the money.

I used to work for a company that was big on United Way. I usually used United Way days as an excuse to eat lunch out. One year they brought some guy to talk to us about United Way. He came from the fucking tennis court, still carrying his racket and wearing his tennis clothes to talk about how great it was. I tuned him out. Could not identify with him at all as a cubicle wage slave. And United Way lost a lot of points in my mind for him being there.

Donating to charity/feeling good about yourself - Andy_B - 09-15-2013

I donated $5 to Return Of Kings.

Donating to charity/feeling good about yourself - emuelle1 - 09-15-2013

Quote: (09-15-2013 07:59 AM)Andy_B Wrote:  

I donated $5 to Return Of Kings.

It's a worthy cause. There are a couple other websites I've thought about donating to, especially since they information they provide benefits me.

Donating to charity/feeling good about yourself - OSL - 09-18-2013

-

http://www.kiva.org/

Don't give out for free. Make an investment in someone with a vision.

-

Donating to charity/feeling good about yourself - chyamor - 09-18-2013

ok so more luck is getting worse
in past 4 days vancouver turned out to be nothing but dense fog, bus ride from vancouver to seattle ended up being 7 hours. Missed flight back from seattle and spent whole day flying around U.S to get home and today I almost got fired at work. This is not counting me totaling my car, getting locked out of house, etc past 2 weeks. I am closing that bank account tomorrow.

I need some serious good karma suggestions. Looking to use $500 that will bring the most good

Donating to charity/feeling good about yourself - Dr. Howard - 09-20-2013

Quote: (09-18-2013 08:30 PM)chyamor Wrote:  

ok so more luck is getting worse
in past 4 days vancouver turned out to be nothing but dense fog, bus ride from vancouver to seattle ended up being 7 hours. Missed flight back from seattle and spent whole day flying around U.S to get home and today I almost got fired at work. This is not counting me totaling my car, getting locked out of house, etc past 2 weeks. I am closing that bank account tomorrow.

I need some serious good karma suggestions. Looking to use $500 that will bring the most good

My good Karma suggestion is to stop cursing yourself and change your outlook. People who say things like "well it'll be just my luck that something will go wrong" etc. tend to be the people that it all goes wrong for.

Try this parable.

Quote:Quote:

There is a Taoist story of an old farmer who had worked his crops for many years. One day his horse ran away. Upon hearing the news, his neighbors came to visit. "Such bad luck," they said sympathetically. "May be," the farmer replied. The next morning the horse returned, bringing with it three other wild horses. "How wonderful," the neighbors exclaimed. "May be," replied the old man. The following day, his son tried to ride one of the untamed horses, was thrown, and broke his leg. The neighbors again came to offer their sympathy on his misfortune. "May be," answered the farmer. The day after, military officials came to the village to draft young men into the army. Seeing that the son's leg was broken, they passed him by. The neighbors congratulated the farmer on how well things had turned out. "May be," said the farmer.

Then donate to a Buddhist monastery that is local to you, as thanks that they come up with great stories like the above and get a blessing in return to really stamp out your bad luck/karma.

Donating to charity/feeling good about yourself - The Beast1 - 09-20-2013

I don't donate my money. I donate my time. I help a lot at my church and that makes me happy.

I've actually wanted to join a mentoring thing and mentor inner city youth. A lot of those big brother, big sister programs lack a lot of good dudes. I'll have to do some research into it.

Donating to charity/feeling good about yourself - OSL - 09-20-2013

Donating to charity/feeling good about yourself - Architekt - 09-20-2013

I'd rather donate my time than my money - then I know that my good will is going where it was intended

Donating to charity/feeling good about yourself - chyamor - 09-25-2013

I decided to go with kiva, Thanks youngmobileglobal

Donating to charity/feeling good about yourself - Gunner - 09-25-2013

I donate to UNICEF.

Donating to charity/feeling good about yourself - chyamor - 09-26-2013

Keep these facts in mind when "donating". As you open your pockets for yet another natural disaster, keep the following facts in mind; we have listed them from the highest (worse paid offender) to the lowest (least paid offender).

The worst offender was yet again for the 11th year in a row is, UNICEF - CEO, receives $1,200,000 per year, (plus use of a Royal Royce for his exclusive use where ever he goes, and an expense account that is rumoured to be well over $150,000.) Only pennies from the actual donations goes to the UNICEF cause (less than $0.14 per dollar of income).

Dated 2010 so not sure if that is still true

Donating to charity/feeling good about yourself - Parlay44 - 09-26-2013

I thought this was going to be a thread about working in a soup kitchen and banging homeless chicks [Image: dodgy.gif]

Donating to charity/feeling good about yourself - easternwomenrule - 05-06-2017

Any Red Pill donations?

I've donated to ROK more than once and Voiceformen years ago! Getting my tax return back next month so I wouldn't mind donating to a Red Pill cause!

Donating to charity/feeling good about yourself - hoops330 - 05-06-2017

To quote Tony Robbins loosely, donating your money creates a mindset of abundance so it will change your outlook on material possessions. If you're telling yourself that you have spare money to give, this will help to prioritize things in your life.