rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Peyton Manning most likely retiring!

I'm listening to an interview from some NFL inside scoop guy and he's saying that Peyton's neck isn't healing as fast as expected after the surgery he had 5 months ago and he's probably is not getting his contract extension in March. I'm not a colts fan but it's kinda sad to see such a great QB's career end due to injury.

Indeed.

Saw an interview with Eli during the Pro Bowl this evening, had a conversation with my father about the Manning family's football legacy... including their father, Archie Manning.

Quote: (02-16-2014 01:05 PM)jariel Wrote:  
Since chicks have decided they have the right to throw their pussies around like Joe Montana, I have the right to be Jerry Rice.

I've herd this also. It would be extremely messed up to see him go. He won't be a Colt that is for sure, but I can't see him walking away like this. Even though it would be awkward to see him in another uni if he has any edge or fire he will come back. Buuuuut if he does not then it would hammer in the thoughts I had of him not being super competitive like Brady or his brother.

Greats like Montana, Rice, Smith, and MJ in ball. You had to drag of the field, it was painful to see but you could tell their competitive edge was in the the stratosphere and was the reason for their career success.

I shouldn't be so harsh on the dude though, a neck is no joke if homie has kids I assume a nice 25m payday and chance to walk off would be enticing.

I'm starting to feel old now, I remember like it was last week his weird looking frame coming into the league. But if I think back to that Draft a lot of the notables are gone: Moss, Greg Ellis, Fred Taylor .. all them dudes have hung up the helmet.

Quote: (01-30-2012 01:04 AM)kosko Wrote:  

I've herd this also. It would be extremely messed up to see him go. He won't be a Colt that is for sure, but I can't see him walking away like this. Even though it would be awkward to see him in another uni if he has any edge or fire he will come back. Buuuuut if he does not then it would hammer in the thoughts I had of him not being super competitive like Brady or his brother.

I don't know if anyone can legitimately say that Peyton wasn't super competitive. The way he prepared and approached the game indicates a strong competitive spirit, at least from where I'm standing. The guy was clearly driven to completely and totally master the game, in a way that we don't see even from other elite QBs.
That's inherently competitive.

Now, one could argue that he wasn't as successful a competitor as, say, Brady or Montana (read: fewer rings), but that's another story.

Quote:Quote:

I'm starting to feel old now, I remember like it was last week his weird looking frame coming into the league. But if I think back to that Draft a lot of the notables are gone: Moss, Greg Ellis, Fred Taylor .. all them dudes have hung up the helmet.

Other notables from that year who have also managed to hang around with Peyton are: his center Jeff Saturday (undrafted), Matt Hasselback, Hines Ward, Charlie Batch, Charles Woodson, Phil Dawson (undrafted), London Fletcher (undrafted) and David Akers (also undrafted).

Lots of great undrafted rookies came out of that class.

Know your enemy and know yourself, find naught in fear for 100 battles. Know yourself but not your enemy, find level of loss and victory. Know thy enemy but not yourself, wallow in defeat every time.

Peyton was/is super competitive. You dont reach the level he's at w/o being super competitive. There is a difference between walking away, being injured, and having a neck injury. Neck/spinal cord issues are a whole different world. If his spine is injured and having trouble healing properly I dont care if he is the most competitive human ever, he'd be foolish to keep playing. He's done everything there is to do in the sport and he's got more money then he'll ever spend.

Peyton need only look at his older brother, Cooper, as an example of how devastating spinal/neck injuries can be. In high school, Peyton actually threw to Cooper, a wide receiver. He was outstanding - caught anything he could get a finger on. Late in his high school career, he started dropping balls here and there. As it turned out, he suffered from Spinal Stenosis, a congenital narrowing of the spinal column, that put pressure on the spinal cord in his neck. Slowly, he was losing strength, and the ability to squeeze in his hands. He was to play receiver at Ol' Miss (where dad starred, and Eli eventually followed), but before he could play a game the condition had worsed and he could never play again. It led to atrophy in his arms so severe that he could barely pick up his own children. Apparently the nerve in Peyton's neck that was affected has created issues in his right tricep, so he doesn't have full strength in his throwing arm. It isn't about Peyton's competitive spirit or desire...it's about him being able to actually play to the level he did before, and his ability to play with his kids when they're older. He's accomplished everything a QB can on the field, and it's stupid to be so competitive that you risk paralysis to continue. I think if the nerve regenerates and he can get strength back in his arm, he'll play somewhere. But if not, he should hang 'em up.

"The best kind of pride is that which compels a man to do his best when no one is watching."

I also can't see Peyton coming back spinal injuries are too serious to risk when he's already accomplished everything he could want in football (Super Bowl, Pro Bowls, etc.). Maybe now people will finally realize how good Tom Brady actually is now that he Rodgers and Eli are probably the last great Quarterbacks in the game today (and maybe Rothelisburger I guess).

Quote: (02-01-2012 03:00 PM)PROD3GY Wrote:  

I also can't see Peyton coming back spinal injuries are too serious to risk when he's already accomplished everything he could want in football (Super Bowl, Pro Bowls, etc.). Maybe now people will finally realize how good Tom Brady actually is now that he Rodgers and Eli are probably the last great Quarterbacks in the game today (and maybe Rothelisburger I guess).

[Image: 8283041-large.jpg]

Also, if you're gonna put Eli up there, you've got little reason not to include Phillip Rivers (2011 was a down year, but he's been elite in past 3 years, more dominant than even Eli) and Tony Romo (no championships, but just as skilled a player).

I'd consider watching Matt Stafford in coming years as well.

Know your enemy and know yourself, find naught in fear for 100 battles. Know yourself but not your enemy, find level of loss and victory. Know thy enemy but not yourself, wallow in defeat every time.

Quote: (02-01-2012 03:16 PM)Athlone McGinnis Wrote:  

Also, if you're gonna put Eli up there, you've got little reason not to include Phillip Rivers (2011 was a down year, but he's been elite in past 3 years, more dominant than even Eli) and Tony Romo (no championships, but just as skilled a player).

Your right I forgot Drew Brees, he's unreal. I agree with Stafford he could be something.

Also Cam Newton could do some pretty big things for the Panthers in the near future too.

[Image: 8283041-large.jpg]

Stafford got snubbed for the Pro Bowl. Dude threw for over 5000 (!) yards, had a better season than Eli by any rational measure, and then Cam Newton still got in ahead of him with a QB rating of 84. Newton's probably going to be an elite QB but you'd be insane to argue that his season was better than Stafford's.

Quote: (02-01-2012 03:40 PM)gringochileno Wrote:  

Stafford got snubbed for the Pro Bowl. Dude threw for over 5000 (!) yards, had a better season than Eli by any rational measure, and then Cam Newton still got in ahead of him with a QB rating of 84. Newton's probably going to be an elite QB but you'd be insane to argue that his season was better than Stafford's.

No question there, the Most Valuable Player is definitely a toss-up between Brees and Brady this season (Slight edge to Brady if he wins the Super Bowl).

Quote: (02-01-2012 03:46 PM)PROD3GY Wrote:  

Quote: (02-01-2012 03:40 PM)gringochileno Wrote:  

No question there, the Most Valuable Player is definitely a toss-up between Brees and Brady this season (Slight edge to Brady if he wins the Super Bowl).

No way. They both had great years but Aaron Rodgers had quite possibly the best season that any quarterback has ever had. There's the obvious statistical argument, and you could also see it in the 2 games the Packers lost when he turned in a sub-par performance and they were absolutely helpless.