rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Buying an entire wardrobe in Colombia: advice please

After reading some of the recent threads on fashion advice and hearing the opinions of various senior forum members (G, Mixx et al.), I've decided that I need a major wardrobe overhaul and could use some advice.

I'm currently in Bogota and in my barrio, I pass TONNES of tailors on a daily basis and after doing some research on-line, it seems Bogota would be a good place for me to do this (lots of options and tailors here make clothing for colder weather).

More about me; I'll admit that I don't have the greatest fashion sense, for various reasons. When I was younger, I just didn't have the money (excuse), I've spent most of my life in cities where most guys don't dress up that much, most of my friends don't (I'm hope to be moving in different circles when I go back home) and most importantly, I"m short and stocky and finding clothes off the rack that actually fit, has always been a nightmare!

I look forward to improving my style as part of an overall plan to better myself, which is the reason I"m on this current 4 month holiday, any advice you guys could give will be much appreciated.

My budget will be around $2500-4000 and I'd like to buy custom, tailor made:
-2 suits
-3-5 pairs of jeans
-3 pairs of slacks
-5 button down dress shirts
-3 polo shirts
-5 ties
-3 pairs of dress shoes
-2 sport coat/blazers

My physical appearance: White guy, 5'4, stocky (not fat, thick in chest), 32' waist, 27' in-seam. Also, I don't want anything too avant garde, I am a blue collar type guy and I live in a very blue collar town, I want to stand out from the rest of the pack, but nothing too crazy!

Am I missing anything?

Also, I'm traveling around a bit here in Colombia and there's no way I can haul all that clothing around, any suggestions for international shipping from Colombia to Canada?

Again, thanks guys!

Awsome Project Scotian :

Here are my 2 cents, build your wardrobe slowly, Don't just go out tomorrow and buy everything on you check list.

One more pointer : What ever u wear , have some thing on you that stands out, It could be Big noticeable Watch , Big Rodeo Style Belt Buckle, Pocket Square ( Make sure color is bright and noticeable), Try Differnet kinds of hats and other accessories as well......

On your List I will start with One nice Sports Coat and One cool pair of shoe . Go out and buy them now.........

Sports Coat : Try a different cloth like Velvet in a Dark Color (Navy Blue) or a colour that suits you....., Never go out without a Pocketsquare.

Nice clean Jeans , V neck shirt and a cool Blazer with nice shoes and you are set for both day and night Game.

Shoes: Absolute must , Look at Mark Nasons or something different like these Double Monk Strap Shoes (Pic attached)

Suits: If they are cheaper in Colombia, By all means have them tailroed , One light (Gray or light brown) and one Dark (Black, Navy Blue, Dark Brown)

Shirts: Without a question have a couple of them tailored in basic colors white black, Keep them higging close to your body with no loose cloth, Try Wide spread on the collar , and then if you like the fit of the shirts and I am sure you will go crazy with patterns like Gingham, Straight lines etc....

I just had a shirt tailored here in US that costs $ 200 and I do not think I will ever go back to buying a shirt of the rack, I just love how this tailored shirt fits me and I am a cheap mofo who likes the bargains and deals.

Dress Pants: Once again try diefferent cuts on your body and try to wear Slim fit ones and have them tailored if they are cheap in Colombia.

Jeans: Atleast One Dark Blue and One Black ...

Ties: and accessories Pocketsquares from

http://www.thetiebar.com/

Have fun building your wardrobe and it is a good excuse to be out shopping and hitting girls at malls asking them about there opinion on clothes look on you...........

Have another Idea for you [Image: idea.gif], Run an add in news paper for a female style consultant or ask random girls to be your style consultant for the day, possibilities are endless.......

Personally I like good stuff at a dirt cheap price (I want my cake and eat it too) for this you will have to do a ton of research online and or multiple trips to shopping malls..

There was a thread eariler where someone posted cheap sites for good clothing like Amazon, E-bay, Tie bar etc.....

Once you have your wardrobe built then comes the bitch of the problem to lugg them from one city to another, I will suggest investing in a nice suiter once you have suits........

Have fun building your wardrobe mi amigo.......

"You can not fake good kids" - Mike Pence

Excellent advice Lothario, +1!!!

Its quite a daunting task building up a wardrobe from scratch, but I figure that its best that I do it now in Colombia where I can get some decent deals!

I'm also trying to figure out what styles would suit me best since I am vertically challenged, I've heard than vertical stripes are the way to go, and don't wear long over coats because they'll make my legs look shorter than they already are!

Another other short guys have tips on what to wear, or especially what NOT to wear?

thanks!

I work in a tailoring shop, so I feel qualified to comment on at least a few bits here...

1. Dump the polo shirts. Unless you're of moderately average height and classically fit, they're not physically complimentary. Most guys look like shit in polo shirts.

2. If you're buying two suits, dump the slacks. I'm assuming you mean dress pants of some sort. Stick with the jeans and a sportcoat look when not suited down. Also, if you're going to own just two suits, most guys just get one gray, and one navy.

3. One pair of brown shoes and one pair of black will get you by.

4. Purchase neckties and shirts that you can mix and match with one another, for greater variety.

5. Buy a pair of cuff-links.

Quote: (02-16-2014 01:05 PM)jariel Wrote:  
Since chicks have decided they have the right to throw their pussies around like Joe Montana, I have the right to be Jerry Rice.

You've got a good general idea. And since you're seeking advice.....

I'll second the recommendation of the gentleman who told you to dump the polos and buy more tailored collared shirts. Much like me, you're on the shorter side and a polo will only make you look like a squatty office drone on casual Friday.

If you're truly wanting an overhaul, I noticed some things missing.

-Light Casual Fitted Outerwear Coat
-Mid/Heavy Fitted Outerwear Coat (like a peacoat but go for single breasted)
-Scarf (adds a nice touch to the coats)
-Fitted Sweaters with V-Neck. (to wear with gray undershirt or collared shirt.)
-Cardigan (nice layering touch, can dress up or down)
-Proper socks. (You don't want to be wearing mid-rise whities ever.)
-Boxer briefs.
-Cool, tasteful sneakers for casual wear. Can't go wrong with the classics
http://www.onitsukatiger.com/es-es/colle...HL202-0146
or
http://www.schuh.co.uk/mens-white-conver...401361070/
(if you're into the converse make sure you get the slim)

And a note on the dress shoes: Not to start shit with the other poster but I would stay away from the Mark Nasons unless you're trying to swing the Ed Hardy look. You likely know this already, but you're going to have to spend good money for good quality. Think north of $300. If you want to look sharp, you need leather fabric, lining, and soles. An example: http://www.bonobos.com/tom-burnt-pine. If you're buying 3, I'd get 2 lace-ups and one Italian loafer in this style: shop.nordstrom.com/S/bruno-magli-rigen-loafer/3189969?origin=category&resultback=320.

When you mind your wardrobe and grooming, the game changes dramatically.

Quote: (01-22-2012 03:56 PM)scotian Wrote:  

Excellent advice Lothario, +1!!!

Its quite a daunting task building up a wardrobe from scratch, but I figure that its best that I do it now in Colombia where I can get some decent deals!

Thanks for acknowledgement Scotian .....

You got it, take your time building the wardrobe , however do get in on the deals that you can get in Colombia

Quote:Quote:

I'm also trying to figure out what styles would suit me best since I am vertically challenged, I've heard than vertical stripes are the way to go, and don't wear long over coats because they'll make my legs look shorter than they already are!

Another other short guys have tips on what to wear, or especially what NOT to wear?

thanks!

Wear slim fit clothes, Suits, Sports coats, shirts and you will have a slight taller impression. One of the reasons I suggested Mark Nasons was they have a heel 1.5 - 2 Inches.... I am not suggesting shoelifts but 1.5 - 2 inches increase in height wearing Cowboy boots can have some Impact..... You can do the same wearing Justins, Ariat but Nason is another class, Seriously ......

Part of your wardrobe building project should also be bodysculpting, I assume you are hitting the GYM ? Your clothes will fit so much better with a toned body.

Quote:Quote:

arafat scarf

And a note on the dress shoes: Not to start shit with the other poster but I would stay away from the Mark Nasons unless you're trying to swing the Ed Hardy look. You likely know this already, but you're going to have to spend good money for good quality. Think north of $300.

No you are not starting shit , you expressed your point of view politely and that's the right way to do it as you have the right to an Opinion albiet a Wrong one , I will also disagree with your opinion politely.

Wearing Nasons does not make you look like an ed-Hardy wearing fool by any means

Ed- Hardy and Mark Nason do not fit together in the same sentence, I know people who wear Nasons and I also know few who wear Ed- Hardy but I do not know any one who does both.

MiXX hates Ed-hardy and he wears Nasons. Ali can also attest to the power of Nasons, Ali you listening to what arafat said ........

Mark Nason is Masculine, have a presence, First time I saw some one wearing them I had to stop and ask them about the make of the shoes.....

http://www.marknason.com/

Back to Scotian ...... Agree with others to ditch the Polos and Embrace the V-Neck.

Happy Hunting.......

"You can not fake good kids" - Mike Pence

I'm up in the air about the Nasons Doc..I would like to see them at a store around here but can't find them.
[attachment=4272]

An important note about Mark Nason, don't buy the "Lounge" series. There is a reason it's half the price or cheaper.

I've got some nice Nason boots that I paid $300 for on sale. They're hand crafted and made in Italy.

I bought some Lounge series shoes and you can tell its a lower quality. They are made in China.

K so you are going to spending a good amount of money on clothes.
I'll put in my advice right here:
Find a hot girl who dresses well and open her (Hopefully, you are a master at opening colombian girls by now; shouldn't be too hard. If you haven't, one that works well for me in the DR goes something like this: "Hola. Como estas? Dominicana?" wing it from there. Never tell them where you're from. Eventually, she should ask you. Tell her "De donde crees?" If she says USA, that is BAD lol. This means you're not rolling your R's.!)
If you think she might be down with you:
" En mi pais, nos vestimos diferente. Come que voy a vivir aqui para unas 4 meses, he realizado que me tengo a vestirme diferente. (I do this at all stores I go too and the girls always laugh) Espero a vestirme como una colombiano. He dado cuenta que te vistes muy bien. me encantaria si una chica que se viste con buen moda, como ti, me ayuda."

Plus, when you go buy your clothes, i imagine there will be girls working there. I think the girl working there will be more attracted to you when she sees you with a hot colombian girl (Maybe come out of there with another number).

Latin girls are very nice. I would assume she says yes. When she says yes, you have a date with a hot colombian chick. Plus you can even be DHV by dropping cash. Most latin girls get wet when they see guys drop cash. She might be a golddigger. Even if she is, you shouldn't give her any "gold" until you fuck. Then you can stop picking up her calls.

Quote: (01-22-2012 03:58 PM)MSW2007 Wrote:  

I work in a tailoring shop, so I feel qualified to comment on at least a few bits here...

1. Dump the polo shirts. Unless you're of moderately average height and classically fit, they're not physically complimentary. Most guys look like shit in polo shirts.

2. If you're buying two suits, dump the slacks. I'm assuming you mean dress pants of some sort. Stick with the jeans and a sportcoat look when not suited down. Also, if you're going to own just two suits, most guys just get one gray, and one navy.

4. Purchase neckties and shirts that you can mix and match with one another, for greater variety.

I've never been to a tailor before, or had custom clothing made. Is it up to me to go into the shop and tell him exactly what I want (fitting, lengths,etc), or does the tailor decide what fits properly on you?

Thanks again for the advice guys

Tom Ford's List

[Image: attachment.jpg4274]   

Quote: (01-23-2012 12:06 AM)Intl_Rasta Wrote:  

Tom Ford List

Sounds wayyyyy too boring to me. That list reads like it was from the 1950s.

Quote: (01-23-2012 12:01 AM)scotian Wrote:  

Quote: (01-22-2012 03:58 PM)MSW2007 Wrote:  

I've never been to a tailor before, or had custom clothing made. Is it up to me to go into the shop and tell him exactly what I want (fitting, lengths,etc), or does the tailor decide what fits properly on you?

Thanks again for the advice guys

The tailor can and will guide you but you ought to go in with an idea of what you want. You would be wise to bring some pictures from magazines of suit styles that you like and you should be looking only at men who have your build. In your case, consider emulating someone like E from Entourage rather than someone like Vinny Chase. You may not like the style of either but you get the idea.

Any tailor worth his salt and your money will provide 3 fittings for custom suits. In the first fitting, you will request the style of suit and the fabric and the tailor will take measurements of your arms, legs, chest, torso, and neck. In the second fitting, the tailor will have the garment half prepared and will subsequently make further alterations to the garment based on how the clothes fit and look. This is the time to ask for big changes if you want them. In the coat, for example, you may want to alter: the width of the lapel, the amount of waist suppression, armhole height and circumference, button positioning, the length of the jacket, or the style of shoulder padding. In the pants: the rise in the crotch, the fit in the legs and seat, or the break of the cuff at the shoes. In the final fitting, the garment should be fully ready, and only minor alterations will be possible.

Usually a good tailor has it right by this point and you'll feel fresh in your new clothing.

And once again: don't skimp on the shoes and make sure they fit your foot like a glove. Many Italian dress shoes run a bit large, so if you normally wear a 9 you may find that an 8 fits or even a 7.5.

Good luck!

Quote: (01-23-2012 12:12 AM)RioNomad Wrote:  

Quote: (01-23-2012 12:06 AM)Intl_Rasta Wrote:  

Tom Ford List

Sounds wayyyyy too boring to me. That list reads like it was from the 1950s.

that's the foundation to a great wardrobe...

what's it missing?

and I so wanna speak up on the Nason conversation but I got a slap on the wrist for speaking against them before but I agree completely with you arafat.

I will be in Bogota soon and I am looking to drop some cash on either some custom-made clothing or at least tailoring of high-quality items.

I'm wondering if you went ahead with your plans Scotian and if you have any recommendations? Or, does anyone else have tailor recommendations for Bogota?

I plan on at least getting:

2 Sport Jackets
4-6 Button Down Shirts
1 Suit (maybe 2 depending on price)
2 dress shoes (maybe more affordable in US?)

Quote: (05-28-2014 02:42 AM)newgame Wrote:  

I will be in Bogota soon and I am looking to drop some cash on either some custom-made clothing or at least tailoring of high-quality items.

I'm wondering if you went ahead with your plans Scotian and if you have any recommendations? Or, does anyone else have tailor recommendations for Bogota?

2 Sport Jackets
4-6 Button Down Shirts

Take heed of Lothario's excellent advice.

Quote: (01-22-2012 03:10 PM)Lothario Wrote:  

Here are my 2 cents, build your wardrobe slowly, Don't just go out tomorrow and buy everything on you check list.

Don't go buying too much too quickly, give yourself time to settle into your new clothes. If you go and buy all of what you listed at once you're going to feel like you're wearing a costume with all this new shit on that you haven't grown accustom to yet.

Clothing in CO is pricey.

2 Sport Jackets
4-6 Button Down Shirts

I bought a few things down there but didn't go all out as I had originally planned, I picked up two custom suits and four tailored dress shirts, I also bought a couple pairs of leather shoes, here's the break down:

Suits and shirts: Got all of these at a tailor called uillermo Ortiz, another member went there previously so I took his recommendation and was pleased with the results. They have a bunch of different types of materials and colours to choose from, I got two suits made of the most expensive wool (Chilean I think) and they each ran me 700.000 Peso, about $365 USD at today's rate, so not exactly cheap but the quality seems pretty good and they do have other, cheaper material to choose from. The shirts were 100K a pop and they are great, I must say, since I have a hard time finding shirts that fit me well off the rack back home, that I really like the shirts and get good use out of them.

Shoes are a decent bargain, leather and made in Colombia can be had for $40-150 USD.

Quote: (05-28-2014 04:15 AM)Deluge Wrote:  

2 Sport Jackets
4-6 Button Down Shirts

Take heed of Lothario's excellent advice.

Quote: (01-22-2012 03:10 PM)Lothario Wrote:  

Don't go buying too much too quickly, give yourself time to settle into your new clothes. If you go and buy all of what you listed at once you're going to feel like you're wearing a costume with all this new shit on that you haven't grown accustom to yet.

Yes, I agree to Lothario's advice, don't buy too much

Quote: (05-28-2014 09:47 AM)Pete Wrote:  

Clothing in CO is pricey.

Yes and no, custom suits, shirts and shoes are cheaper, but if you're shopping in malls for brand name things like Levi jeans, then you're better off buying in the USA, that's what I usually do, I stock up on gear when I'm down in Florida.

Other considerations: Really do your homework when it comes to picking which style you want, I just walked into the place and didn't really know what I wanted and settled on what the tailor recommended "classic" style suits, they're not bad but the next one I pick up will be a more stylish cut. Also, make sure your Spanish is good so you can fully explain what you want because the tailors most likely won't speak any English. If you want, I can link you up with some bilingual Colombia-American guys in Bogota who will take you to a tailor for probably 50K pesos, PM me for their #s.

Shoes are difficult to find if you are size 12 (46) or more.

Thanks for the info Scotian and others.

My spanish should be good enough to get by.

Good advice on taking it slow.

I'll probably get 1 sport jacket, 1 pair of shoes, and several button down shirts to start. If I like them, I'll get some more stuff on my departure from Bogota.

I bought an Arturo Calle suit 100% wool for less than half of what I would be in the US. Arturo Calle is known as the best Colombian brand, anything better would be Italian. The store include tailoring for the price so you can change the sleeve length, pant length, waist, and even leg width.

After checking out 5 stores, I was able to find a perfect fit and had only the pant length adjusted the next day. Although the quality is still not great, as some stitching looks loose on the suit. The pockets are stitched shut so be sure to request opening of the chest pocket for handkerchief/pocket square placement.

Bro what part of Bogota are you in? Restrepo has some amazing deals on good leather shoes. Ive gotten stuff there in the 80-120 mil range that really looks amazing. Go there and have a walk around, right off the transmi stop.

Sorry for reviving this thread.
I'm heading to Bogota for 12 nights and want to buy some custom made suits and shirts.

Do you guys have any recommendations where to go and what price to expect?

Quote: (05-03-2016 03:44 PM)semibaron Wrote:  

I'm heading to Bogota for 12 nights and want to buy some custom made suits and shirts.

I got a hookup on a suit, but you better go the first day you get there. They take their time on the custom mades.
I think i paid something in between 130-160 dollars, high quality fabric.
Send me a pm if interested.

I also bought a shirt at the previous mentioned guiellermo ortiz, 130k pesos, but the suits at his shop were much more expensive than the guy i found.

Also, i see some guys mentioning restrepo for leather, it is definitely the spot for it, but if you dont want to go down south (the place has a reputation for being a bit rough) there is a small area in chapinero north that got 8-9 stores with leather jackets on the same street. Bought one for about 100 dollars.
I forgot the adress, but if you walk up avenida carrera 24 from around 63-64 and upwards you will start seeing about 200 shops with sports gear. Right after all those is the leather spot, on the right side of the street.
The stores will customize the jacket for you if you give them a couple of days..

Quote: (05-03-2016 04:12 PM)RiskIt4Biscuit Wrote:  

Quote: (05-03-2016 03:44 PM)semibaron Wrote:  

I got a hookup on a suit, but you better go the first day you get there. They take their time on the custom mades.
I think i paid something in between 130-160 dollars, high quality fabric.
Send me a pm if interested.

I also bought a shirt at the previous mentioned guiellermo ortiz, 130k pesos, but the suits at his shop were much more expensive than the guy i found.

Also, i see some guys mentioning restrepo for leather, it is definitely the spot for it, but if you dont want to go down south (the place has a reputation for being a bit rough) there is a small area in chapinero north that got 8-9 stores with leather jackets on the same street. Bought one for about 100 dollars.
I forgot the adress, but if you walk up avenida carrera 24 from around 63-64 and upwards you will start seeing about 200 shops with sports gear. Right after all those is the leather spot, on the right side of the street.
The stores will customize the jacket for you if you give them a couple of days..

Yeah, 130-160 USD sounds good. Much better than the 360 USD mentioned earlier. Sent you a PM.