rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Dealing with Alcohol

Dealing with Alcohol

How do you guys deal with not getting too shitfaced? Nearly everytime I go out, last night being the most recent case, I end up running great game after I get about 6-8 beers in but after about 15 or so, I get to shitfaced and my game drops off drastically and I either end not hooking up with the any of the chicks I was talking too, or cavemanning one. I find that my the alcohol really does help my game since I am a bit reserved and it helps me open up with strangers etc. The problem is I can't ficgure out how to make myself stop drinking, especially if I roll solo. If anyone has dealt with this situation and has a few suggestions, I'd be grateful. Some things I have tried:

-Limiting the amount of money I take out... which ends with me spending the cab money on booze and paying the cabbie when I get home or ganking unsecured drinks from tables.

-Not drinking at all, which makes it much harder to spit game.

-Liquor/wine instead of beer... Utter failure as I drink it as fast as I do beer... just not good.

Also on a funny and confirming sidenote, one of the skeezers in the group I was talking to last night was probably a 4-5 and was getting chatted up by a dude who looked to be a legit 7... I said to her, "That guy seems like he's pretty legit." Her response you ask? "Yeah, but he doesn't have any game." To which I laughed. How do these bitches think that being a wildebeast entitles them to an alpha? Dizzy bitch.

Dealing with Alcohol

Quote: (01-16-2012 07:00 PM)CGS Wrote:  

How do these bitches think that being a wildebeast entitles them to an alpha?

Because it isn't too hard to find a drunk alpha who's willing to hook up with a marginal-looking chick for one night. Some guys are just pussy hounds (God bless them for being able to get a boner for some of these chicks). Then that girl thinks she should be able to "get" a high-status man for a relationship and raises her standards when the only thing anyone of that caliber would ever want from her is a quick pump and dump.

As for your question, either alternate water in between drinks or switch to water when you want to stop drinking. You can get a lime with it and say it's a vodka and water if people try to give you shit. This will help you with the hangover too since hangovers are mostly due to dehydration.

Dealing with Alcohol

I'm on the wagon completely for a while.

I'm 27 and have basically been tipsy or wasted in every social situation since I was 18. I've tried to cut back on my drinking before, but it never seems to work. Having only two or three drinks over the course of a night is more difficult to me then stopping completely, as its a slippery slope.

Maybe try going cold turkey for a month or two? My goals are acclimating to socializing better while stone cold sober and to drastically reduce my intake once I'm back off the wagon. Great side effects will include: lower tolerance, saving lots of $$$, drastically reducing bad calories, etc.

I've only gone a few weekends and I'll admit it can be difficult. In low key situations, bars, and get-togethers, where you can actually converse with people, its not very hard at all. Going to a bar with loud music/dancing however, its very very difficult for me. I've been dipping out of those venues quite early.

Dealing with Alcohol

Don't drink beer- its loaded with carb calories that'll just make you fatter; also I find hangovers are worse with beer.

Switch to liquior- its cheaper for the buzz you get, you don't get fat, you don't need to piss all the time, and you can limit yourself to a certain rate much more easily.... you don't "chug" quality liquior, its to be savored.

It can also be transported in a pocket flask if you're strapped for cash, you can refill your glass in the men's room.

I recommend Scotch or a Godfather.

Dealing with Alcohol

I was that guy for a while. From mid-college through age 25 or so, all I did was drink and get drunk. Then I pretty much stopped cold. Sometimes you just need to convince yourself that alcohol isn't the key to having a great night out. It's true that with "liquid confidence" your game seems to flow without you having to think. Liquor makes you simply not give a fuck, and that actually makes you more affable. But it isn't good for your long-term health. The hardest part of NOT drinking for me was everyone asking me why I wasn't drinking. That's their problem. I got back to being simply a social drinker - having just a couple during the night, and drinking some juice or something (no one knows it isn't a screwdriver or a vodka cranberry), and simply approach and talk to women as if you WERE drunk...HA HA! Get it into your mind that women really aren't special - there's no need to be stressed about what to say, and feel you need to lean on booze to get in the right frame of mind to talk to them. You'll find that it isn't that hard. I found I liked having my faculties, while those around me were drunk - it gave me the feeling that I was toying with them.

"The best kind of pride is that which compels a man to do his best when no one is watching."

Dealing with Alcohol

I do the same kind of shit, and I can't count the number of times I've cockblocked myself by over-drinking. I've even fucked-up nearly set-in-stone threesomes this way.

That said, I think that the better you get at game, the less you will feel the need to quell your approach anxiety with booze.

I'd stay away from hard liquor, high alcohol beers (like the Belgian Tripples), or anything that will rush you over the tipping point between buzzed and inebriated.

It's all about pacing. Over the course of a night, I can def get up around 11 beers, whixh is alreadt too much, but 15 in one night seems a little excessive if you are trying pick-up girls. Unless you're Andre the Giant, that's like going on a bender.

Throughout the night, do what you can to remind yourself: I'm going out to run game, not to get drunk.

For me, "Pre-game" drinking at home has almost always been detrimental.

Another thing: try to not hit the place up until later in the night. If you get there sober at midnight and the place closes at 4am, you'll be less likely to pound 15 beers than if you had arrived at 9.

Dealing with Alcohol

Alcohol is a crutch that a lot of guys that are new to game rely on to get over approach anxiety. I was there once, but it's pretty easy to overcome.

Just repeat to yourself in your head, or out loud at home before you go out, that you don't need any help from booze to pick up a girl. Make it a challenge to prove it to yourself. Still have a couple drinks, but obviously don't go overboard.

The other key is to remind yourself that your focus when you're out is to pick up girls, not get wasted.

Bottom line, it's all about staying in control.

Dealing with Alcohol

Quote: (01-17-2012 12:05 AM)soup Wrote:  

Another thing: try to not hit the place up until later in the night. If you get there sober at midnight and the place closes at 4am, you'll be less likely to pound 15 beers than if you had arrived at 9.

Eh... I don't necessarily like this idea for two reasons. One, a guy that likes to drink a lot will only start drinking faster or doing shots to "catch up." Again, I've been there before. Two, depending on where you are, by midnight the bitch shields are stronger and your prospects may dwindle. Getting to a venue early gives you way more options.

Dig the Andre reference though.

Dealing with Alcohol

Yeah- I avoid doing shots. I stick to beer, and then a cup of water after every other beer to re-hydrate and slow down. For me, having a beer is almost a token act. Just something to do so the bartenders don't get pissed at me for taking up space (I was thrown out of a bar for just drinking water once, supposedly).

I'd be curious to know if those beers are spread out across a long night, or if he's pounding them all at in a few hours.

Where I go, I've found that later in the night the chicks are more drunk which makes them more open to crazy behavior, which makes it easier for me to SNL them.

Dealing with Alcohol

The counselors I know who have seen thousands of patients all pretty much agree:

Some people cannot drink. At all. They can't stop, and once they start drinking they KEEP drinking until they fuck something up.

While working in prison, I met at least two doing life for killing someone on the highway driving drunk after a prior DUI.
One in particular was a high-functioning contractor outside of his drinking. House, car, wife, kids, boat.
He'll never go out in a boat again, or fuck a chick.

Imagine minding your own business sitting at a stop light coming home from the grocery store and some arrogant idiot rear-ends you going 70. I met the guy that did it.

In California, if you kill someone driving drunk after getting a DUI so you should fucking know better, That's murder as in NOT manslaughter, not negligent homicide, but like gang-banger moron murder.

Both whined how unfair it was.

The dead people weren't around to whine.

Dealing with Alcohol

sounds like you're one of those people that can't control the drinking - sucks to hear but it's probably true. you're gonna have to cut it completely. if you can do this, trust me, you're game will get crazy in a couple months if you go out and push yourself.

one reason why the average guy never really improves his skills even when he goes out a lot is that he's always drinking when he meets women. alcohol prevents you from learning. so just going out sober and talking to girls will over time greatly improve your skills - just like playing golf or any other skill. if you tried to get good at golf but you were always drunk, you'd never improve.

the problem is your mind tricks you in two ways: 1. you get a rush of feel-good chemicals in your brain when you drink, basically addicting you to it. 2. you OCCASIONALLY have success because you were more loose. but you could get those same effects if you just push yourself for a couple months.

Ive always been a drinker, but the way I got really good with approaching women, way back like 6-ish years ago was I went out for 6 months, regularly and didn't drink. I was also doing a ton of reading, thinking, and talking to mentors (naturals) but forcing myself to approach, with sexual intent, dead sober, to snotty college girls who were waiting for the chance to diss a guy to feel cool, made me grow a pair of balls.

Now when I go out solo, I'm very careful to moderate - partially because being alone and drunk in the city late at night is fucking dangerous, but also because I'm trying to learn and accomplish a goal (meet some hot, cool girls).

When I go out with my boys that I grew up with, it always turns into a shitshow because we are all anchors for each other and we regress to like 18 years old lol.

You know what you have to do man - cold turkey for a few months. pull the reigns in, and develop your confidence. then when you go back you will have more self control, and you won't feel like you need it as much.

Dealing with Alcohol

Quote: (01-17-2012 01:00 AM)soup Wrote:  

I'd be curious to know if those beers are spread out across a long night, or if he's pounding them all at in a few hours.

On Saturday might I drank 5 pitchers of Sam Adams and did 3 shots with friends over about a 4-5 hour period.

Quote: (01-17-2012 04:30 AM)iknowexactly Wrote:  

Some people cannot drink. At all. They can't stop, and once they start drinking they KEEP drinking until they fuck something up.

I think this might be my case... I don't drive drunk, but I cant stop drinking once I begin. 1 sip of alcohol and I'm going to get shitfaced.

Quote: (01-17-2012 05:23 AM)Iceinthewater Wrote:  

sounds like you're one of those people that can't control the drinking - sucks to hear but it's probably true. you're gonna have to cut it completely. if you can do this, trust me, you're game will get crazy in a couple months if you go out and push yourself.

one reason why the average guy never really improves his skills even when he goes out a lot is that he's always drinking when he meets women. alcohol prevents you from learning. so just going out sober and talking to girls will over time greatly improve your skills - just like playing golf or any other skill. if you tried to get good at golf but you were always drunk, you'd never improve.

the problem is your mind tricks you in two ways: 1. you get a rush of feel-good chemicals in your brain when you drink, basically addicting you to it. 2. you OCCASIONALLY have success because you were more loose. but you could get those same effects if you just push yourself for a couple months.

Ive always been a drinker, but the way I got really good with approaching women, way back like 6-ish years ago was I went out for 6 months, regularly and didn't drink. I was also doing a ton of reading, thinking, and talking to mentors (naturals) but forcing myself to approach, with sexual intent, dead sober, to snotty college girls who were waiting for the chance to diss a guy to feel cool, made me grow a pair of balls.

Now when I go out solo, I'm very careful to moderate - partially because being alone and drunk in the city late at night is fucking dangerous, but also because I'm trying to learn and accomplish a goal (meet some hot, cool girls).

When I go out with my boys that I grew up with, it always turns into a shitshow because we are all anchors for each other and we regress to like 18 years old lol.

You know what you have to do man - cold turkey for a few months. pull the reigns in, and develop your confidence. then when you go back you will have more self control, and you won't feel like you need it as much.

Yeah, I've been avoiding night game because of this... At $100+ a night and poor success rates, I've been running day game much more often and with better success rates... Just don't have much time during the week.

Dealing with Alcohol

You might want to try day game or getting girls online. Alcohol doesn't need to be involved.

Dealing with Alcohol

Quote: (01-17-2012 04:30 AM)iknowexactly Wrote:  

The counselors I know who have seen thousands of patients all pretty much agree:

While working in prison, I met at least two doing life for killing someone on the highway driving drunk after a prior DUI.
One in particular was a high-functioning contractor outside of his drinking. House, car, wife, kids, boat.
He'll never go out in a boat again, or fuck a chick.

Imagine minding your own business sitting at a stop light coming home from the grocery store and some arrogant idiot rear-ends you going 70. I met the guy that did it.

In California, if you kill someone driving drunk after getting a DUI so you should fucking know better, That's murder as in NOT manslaughter, not negligent homicide, but like gang-banger moron murder.

Both whined how unfair it was.

The dead people weren't around to whine.

Bolded for truth. I handle my alcohol very well and I am glad that I can. However, I have some friends who just can not fucking drink. They still do it, but it's just a fucking shit show every time. Sometimes it's hilarious, but sometimes its just baaaadddd.

My advice to you is to stop drinking completely if you are one of these people. It sucks because it's fun to go out, have a few drinks with friends, and chase tail. However, you can still have fun. It will probably just take some getting use to.

One tactic to try if you are not as bad as some of my friends is to write something on the top of your hand that you hold drinks in. Maybe "DFD" with a sharpie, which stands for "DON'T FUCKING DRINK!". A reminder to not get too blasted that you will see each time you get a drink. Of course, if you get too drunk, you will not notice it lol. Come up with something clever and playful to tell a girl if she asks what it means.

Dealing with Alcohol

It is hard to refrain from drinking too much. What I do is set a limit before hand. I'll tell myself that I am only allowed to drink three whiskey cokes, or four vodka soda/cranburys. I only drink beer when it is cheap as fuck and I am with my friends watching a game. Other than that I stick to liqueur.

Three shots to the brain is my perfect number.

Dealing with Alcohol

just stop dude, seriously, i've been a drinker on and off my whole life and i've always hung with a wild crowd who used to say thing like "if you remember it you weren't drunk." just stop cold turkey. you nee to get out of the cycle of drinking. at first it will be incredibly difficult because you have been doing it so long. but it gets much easier. i used to go out hard 2 or 3 times a week in my 20's but around 30 i slowed down a lot. it may not seem like it at first but its much easier to game chicks when you are sober and your head is on straight. here's another key - order someting like a tonic water or soda water w/a lime. dont order straight water or diet coke because you will drink it too fast. order something you dont really like the taste of so that you sip it, and it will feel like alcohol. if you are going to wild and crazy bars where everyone is shitfaced stop and go to more upscale places where you can sit and chill instead of getting bumped into by drunks. dont kid yourself w/the "i'll just have a couple" BS because that is how you get into trouble. its a slippery slope and you'll end up hammered. 2 becomes 3, your decision making ability is reduced, and it becomes four then five and you are hammered. if you feel uncomfortable w/people asking you why you aren't drinking just say that you drove or you have too much to do tomorrow. if they give you a hard time F them. most are jealous they cant control their own drinking.

Dealing with Alcohol

This is all good info and seems to be directly in line with what I'm currently doing. Totally, totally, agree with going to upscale or laid back venues while on the wagon. Once you've been out 10 or so times completely sober, hopefully it can put your mind more at ease and quell social anxiety when you're back to drinking.

I've reined in my drinking a bit since college, and luckily I don't drive so DUIs and murder charges aren't on the plate for me. But its the same... If I drink two or three, its basically automatically going to be 10 over the night.

The advice to drink liquor, particularly a liquor you don't exactly like (or at least has a strong taste) sounds golden to me. Beer, even strong 8% beer, I guzzle.

Dealing with Alcohol

I'm in the same boat as the OP, 1 is too many and 20 isn't enough!

I don't consider myself to be an alcoholic, but rather a problem drinker. I don't wake up craving alcohol and can go days or sometimes a week or two without, but once I get on the booze hard, I do some REALLY dumb shit that actually puts my safety in jeopardy.

Also, I can't drink beer like I used to, it really upsets my stomach and I spend the following day on the can, other alcohol is no better, the hangovers get a lot worse as you age, trust me!

I've come to realize that I'm probably going to have to give up drinking altogether, I'm not sure I'll go full AA and NEVER have another drink, but waking up feeling like shit and regretting my actions every weekend is getting a bit old!

Dealing with Alcohol

Also has a lot to do with the people you hang with. If your friends are lining up pitchers and shots, it's going to be tough to take it slow. (Not to mention the general factors that come into group behavioral dynamics.)

Dealing with Alcohol

I am kind of in the same boats since usually when I go out I end up drinking a lot and my game is almost always better when I'm drunk. I am pretty new to this whole thing, though, so my game isn't all that good even when I've got a great drunk going. Yea, I find it hard to approach girls when I'm stone cold sober and I know I need to work on that, probably more than almost anything else, but it's really hard to do when I have so much fun drinking. I can definitely handle my booze when I drink (I usually stick to weekends now, with a weekday thrown in a few times a month) and I feel like booze brings out the best in me. I have plenty of friends who get into trouble and/or act like total fucking idiots when they get drunk, but I am almost always on the level. For me, I feel like booze makes me cooler, funnier, more witty, obviously more confident, and I honestly feel like I can read body language better and make connections to people easier. I rarely lose my composure even when I am shitfaced, so I really don't have regrets after a night of heavy drinking aside from spending a lot of money at the bars.

The problem is that when I do snag a girl at a bar/party and it comes time to get some puss, I find myself having whiskey dick a good percentage of the time. Now I think the main reason for this is that I watch porn and jerk off a lot, but the vast majority of the time I've been unable to perform, I've been drunk. To me, the problems that come from alcohol relate to the sex itself as opposed to the gaming.

Dealing with Alcohol

How do you guys deal with not getting too shitfaced?

I grow up.

A year from now you'll wish you started today

Dealing with Alcohol

Quote: (01-18-2012 04:06 AM)ElJefe Wrote:  

How do you guys deal with not getting too shitfaced?

I grow up.

Sucks to hear, but yeah. Otherwise, it might help to talk to a therapist or someone who will except you as a Lothario with a drinking problem. Make sure that they are cool with the fact that you are a player and not some beta guy though.

If you have a woman therapist, you can probably bang her.

Dealing with Alcohol

I quit drinking - problem solved.

Dealing with Alcohol

My thing that controlled my drinking habits is that I gained a healthy appreciation for been,as in enjoying the flavor and different styles that are available. When I started to appreciate it, I realized that my ability to enjoy it decreased as I got sloppier and that the better option for me was to savor my beer instead of downing it as quickly as I could. Beer Advocate is a nice place to start if you're interested in developing a beer palate.