rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

What's your favourite novel?

Post Office by Charles Bukowski

The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky (and The Tell of Genji by Lady Murasaki Shikibu)

Catch 22 by Joseph Heller

The Stanger by Albert Camus

'I blew most of my money on fast cars, booze and women. The rest I squandered' - George Best

For Whom the Bell Tolls
Hemingway

Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh

The Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger

the only book I read over and over again, like rewinding a movie

I wouldn't necessarily say it's my favorite, but The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck is the best book I've ever read.

DUNE by Frank Herbert

Looking For Alaska by John Green. Even though the main character is a big time beta male who falls for and pedestalizes a trashy slut.

The Fountainhead ~ Ayn Rand

Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy

Quote: (01-11-2012 05:37 PM)mofo Wrote:  

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

I'm reading The Pilgrimage by Coelho now which is great. The Alchemist is next on my list.

Detective Rust Cohle: "All the dick swagger you roll, you can't spot crazy pussy?"

Der Steppenwolf by Hermann Hesse. It is a novel way, way ahead of its time. Its time is still to come, amazing.

Quote: (01-11-2012 06:31 PM)G.L.Piggy Wrote:  

Post Office by Charles Bukowski

can you explain why? i just finished reading this book the other day and thought it was overrated. a few good laughs in the beginning chapters but pretty forgettable after that.

1984 has to be my favorite novel. read it in high school and finished it in 3 days. have been rereading it every year since then.

Empresas y Tribulaciones de Maqroll el Gaviero by Álvaro Mutis

"A flower can not remain in bloom for years, but a garden can be cultivated to bloom throughout seasons and years." - xsplat

Quote: (01-12-2012 05:18 AM)Caligula Wrote:  

Looks awesome...think I'll set a goal to be able to read in spanish.

Quote: (01-12-2012 05:51 AM)Iceinthewater Wrote:  

Quote: (01-12-2012 05:18 AM)Caligula Wrote:  

Looks awesome...think I'll set a goal to be able to read in spanish.

Otherwise this is a great translation - http://www.amazon.com/Adventures-Misadve...0940322919

"A flower can not remain in bloom for years, but a garden can be cultivated to bloom throughout seasons and years." - xsplat

Explosion in a Cathedral (Alejo Carpentier).

Currently reading The Death Ship by B. Traven and I think it's going to be a draw between it and Carpentier's book...

don't understand the crazy behind "the alchemist" either. there were so many reviews i read prior to reading the book and they all stated that the novel was life changing. i like the messages behind the book and i think people can learn from it. but for the most part i thought the writing was underwhelming. i understand how it's intended to be written in a parable style so the prose was really simple... but shit, this was just a mediocre book that didn't really excite me whatsoever. after a while all of the philosophical jargon just got to be incredibly pretentious.

Elementary Particles

http://www.amazon.com/Elementary-Particl...952&sr=1-1

Covers a lot of what we talk about here on the forum.

Quote: (01-12-2012 05:41 PM)wolf Wrote:  

Elementary Particles

http://www.amazon.com/Elementary-Particl...952&sr=1-1

Covers a lot of what we talk about here on the forum.

This is a close second for me. Really excellent. Houellebecq's "Whatever" has a sharp view of the new realities of the sexual market. He's extremely pessimistic about the sexual revolution, the rise of feminism and multiculturalism. Unsurprising as he was abandoned as a kid by his hippie mother who went off to live on a commune.

One of the greatest and most clear-sighted writers alive today.

Agree on THE ELEMENTARY PARTICLES being important, but I like THE PLATFORM better. THE POSSIBILITY OF AN ISLAND was a good attempt at going in the right direction, just blew a tire toward the end. Couldn't make sense of the movie version, but I don't speak a word of French.

Sorry but for me Coelho is a mediocre writer.

La Fiesta del Chivo by Vargas Llosa

100 años de Soledad by Gabo Márquez

Rayuela by Cortázar

Harry Potter 3, 6 and 7