rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

San Diego, Los Angeles or Miami

I've been to all three cities in the past. multiple times and occasionally for long periods, so I know them fairly intimately. In the case of Miami, I only know South Beach, but I need some intel on the mainland (I've only briefly explored the Brickell area and Coconut Grove). Work aside, which of these is the best city to post up in, taking into account women, ease of living (including getting laid), and general quality of life. I have some opportunities in the works where I might have the option of posting up in one of these spots later this year. I've lived on the West Coast (SF), but I'm fundamentally an East Coast guy (for the culture), and love the diversity of women in the Miami area. I think I'd do best down there. However, I'm open to varying opinions to help me decide, and I've put up a poll. Thanks.

Hencredible Casanova -

I know all three extremely "intimately" (so to speak) as well.

I have spent most of my life in all three (along with a year in Newport Beach, actually CDM), DC, Las Vegas, New Orleans and time abroad.

I basically broke down a hand to hand, round by round, line by line, rhyme by rhyme breakdown to the bone gristle here:

California Game VS Florida Game for International Playboys http://www.thegmanifesto.com/2011/08/cal...yboys.html

I don't have a heck of a lot to add, as I said my piece there on this controversial match up of American heavyweights of The International Playboy set for the ages.

Keep in mind though that Southern California simply no longer "stimulates" me anymore, so that plays hugely into my opinion.

A guy that has spent a ton on time in Miami and not much in Southern California would probably see things the opposite of me.

However, I really feel that no matter one's opinion, South Florida has some huge undeniable advantages:

Geographic Location
More Freedom
More Diversity
Better Nightlife
Lax Laws for Smoking, Drinking, Jaywalking, really everything
Cheaper Real estate (although I am not in the market for that)

And drops the BOMB:

No State income tax

I am happy to debate this with anyone, anywhere. Nationwide. I will take all comers (so to speak).

However, I probably not going to say too much more.

No need to hype South Florida.

I welcome anyone to go to California.

Quote: (01-11-2012 01:51 AM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

Hencredible Casanova -

I have spent most of my life in all three (along with a year in Newport Beach, actually CDM), DC, Las Vegas, New Orleans and time abroad.

I basically broke down a hand to hand, round by round, line by line, rhyme by rhyme breakdown to the bone gristle here:

California Game VS Florida Game for International Playboys http://www.thegmanifesto.com/2011/08/cal...yboys.html

I don't have a heck of a lot to add, as I said my piece there on this controversial match up of American heavyweights of The International Playboy set for the ages.

Keep in mind though that Southern California simply no longer "stimulates" me anymore, so that plays hugely into my opinion.

A guy that has spent a ton on time in Miami and not much in Southern California would probably see things the opposite of me.

However, I really feel that no matter one's opinion, South Florida has some huge undeniable advantages:

Geographic Location
More Freedom
More Diversity
Better Nightlife

And drops the BOMB:

No State income tax

I am happy to debate this with anyone, anywhere. Nationwide. I will take all comers (so to speak).

Thanks for your perspective G--always appreciated. You've made a convincing case on behalf of SoFlo, and I agree with your reasoning. I can understand the frustration you have against your home state and seeing how it's progressed--or regressed--over the years. Many people can feel that way about where they're from and come to a point where they want to move on to greener pastures. However, in spite of that pattern, you dropped some solid objective facts to support your position.

With that said, you seem to have spent most of your time in MIA on the South Beach scene, understandably. Do you have any insights on the mainland Miami scene?

Man, this is tough. I've been to all three cities and live in one. Miami(Miami Beach specifically) is best for quality of girls. But even in my limited time spent there, I can really see Miami getting old quick. If the job is only for a year and your main emphasis is hotties, than Miami takes the cake. If it's for longer term, than I think Socal becomes a better option. Between LA and SD, I'd probably go with SD. I think both have plenty of good looking women. What I get sick of with LA is having a one hour round-trip on the freeway minimum if you want to do ANYTHING. Even just to meet a friend for lunch. Sometimes I just want to say fuck it all, sell my shit, and move to a "real" city.

Thing is, Florida sucks shit as a state. Other than Miami Beach, what else is there? Disneyworld? California is just a really cool state overall, almost a country within a country. Which I'm sure you know if you lived here.

So...if your gig is less than a year or two, Miami. If longer, San Diego. I think San Diego(and maybe even LA) is harder to get sick of over time than Miami.

Quote: (01-11-2012 03:14 AM)speakeasy Wrote:  

Man, this is tough. I've been to all three cities and live in one. Miami(Miami Beach specifically) is best for quality of girls. But even in my limited time spent there, I can really see Miami getting old quick. If the job is only for a year and your main emphasis is hotties, than Miami takes the cake. If it's for longer term, than I think Socal becomes a better option. Between LA and SD, I'd probably go with SD. I think both have plenty of good looking women. What I get sick of with LA is having a one hour round-trip on the freeway minimum if you want to do ANYTHING. Even just to meet a friend for lunch. Sometimes I just want to say fuck it all, sell my shit, and move to a "real" city.

Thing is, Florida sucks shit as a state. Other than Miami Beach, what else is there? Disneyworld? California is just a really cool state overall, almost a country within a country. Which I'm sure you know if you lived here.

So...if your gig is less than a year or two, Miami. If longer, San Diego. I think San Diego(and maybe even LA) is harder to get sick of over time than Miami.

Nice. You presented the flip side to that coin like De Niro did Pacino during that infamous restaurant scene in the movie Heat.

No state in the union comes close to being as cool as California, not by a long shot. The Golden State is in a league of its own.

I also agree with what you've said about Miami getting old. That's the impression I'm left with every time I've spent a few days there. I mean, what's there to do besides party? That's what makes it unattractive as a long-term move. A year is doable, but you'll probably get jaded spending any more time beyond that. I couldn't see myself there long-term the way I could in SoCal. I also have more contacts on the West Coast.

You're also right about LA. I don't think I could live there. I only like the nightlife there more than SD, which is pretty wack btw (i.e. Gaslamp). It's also much more diverse than SD. But aside from that, I give SD the edge, though I wish it was less conservative and more liberal like LA and SF.

It's a tough call. Really would come down to Miami and SD.

Quote: (01-11-2012 02:02 AM)Hencredible Casanova Wrote:  

Quote: (01-11-2012 01:51 AM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

Hencredible Casanova -

Geographic Location
More Freedom
More Diversity
Better Nightlife

And drops the BOMB:

No State income tax

Thanks for your perspective G--always appreciated. You've made a convincing case on behalf of SoFlo, and I agree with your reasoning. I can understand the frustration you have against your home state and seeing how it's progressed--or regressed--over the years. Many people can feel that way about where they're from and come to a point where they want to move on to greener pastures. However, in spite of that pattern, you dropped some solid objective facts to support your position.

With that said, you seem to have spent most of your time in MIA on the South Beach scene, understandably. Do you have any insights on the mainland Miami scene?

When it comes down to it, no city in America is perfect.

I really like my "two cities" theory on this thing: http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-9436.html

But don't discount the No State Income Tax in Florida.

Even if one of the West Coast cities was straight up equal with Miami (which in my opinion they are not for reasons mentioned above) the no tax thing pushes Miami over the edge.

Trust me, when I write my tax check this year, I will be almost suicidal.

I can't in good conscience stay in California.

Financially, you can't live in California. They want 10% of my money?

F*ck them.

For what? So they can tell me I can't smoke? So they can tell me I can't get a drink after 1:30am? So I can look at girls in Ugg boots? So they can tell me I can't walk across the street when the light is red? To live in a place where restaurants close at 10pm? So I can have cops on every corner? So bars close when a night should be beginning? So they can tell me I can't have a glass bottle on the boardwalk? So I can't smoke or drink on the beach? So I can't light up a cigarette with a beautiful girl in a park? So I can't smoke at all (you know its coming)?

So I can live around people that are so institutionalized that I am the literally the only person that questions any of these things?

No thanks.

That being said, your tripping if you think I will spend summer in Miami.

Hence, my "two cities" theory.

You know where I will be spending my summer homeboy!

Also, a good combo would be 8 months in Miami, 4 in Southern California.

But for me, I am like f*ck that place.

California is a Police State, and they will never get another dime of mine.

Quote:Quote:

Ha, makes me think of my neighbors who pay 50% income tax. I am sure they would trade their European home for a small studio in California.

Miami ..
For a few months if you're young and single and looking to bang and not much else.Or a few years if you have a job.
Summers are unpleasantly humid for at least 4-5 months...you'll want to be away for those if you can.

LA...
If you're an aspiring actor /musician or in the movie business.I can't think of any other reason if you haven't got family/history there.

San Diego ..
If you want to live in one of America's most pleasant cities with perfect climate year round .You have a job here and want to bring up family. 5 beaches ,world class parks and zoo.
I don't know much about state taxes I'll bow to others expertise on this,but I do know a friend of my uncle that worked in Cal all his life nearly ,and when he retired he moved to Florida cause of taxes ,so I guess Cal must be more expensive.

It's not a poll option, but from recommendations on the forum I'd shoot for the Tampa Bay region or Broward County instead.

Quote: (01-11-2012 06:05 AM)Donald Duck Wrote:  

Ha, makes me think of my neighbors who pay 50% income tax. I am sure they would trade their European home for a small studio in California.

Not sure if I was clear.

That 10% number I was quoting is just California state taxes.

I pay something like 40% all together.

So yeah, I am like a European, only without the topless beaches, better food and lax smoking and nightlife laws.

Don't tell your European neighbors to pack their bags yet.

@G

Can't you base your ventures out of Florida and still live part-time in CA without paying state income tax?

Part of the reason state income tax may be high is because of prop 13 where people that bought homes decades ago are paying extremely low property tax rates relative to the value of the property, depriving the state of revenue. Does Florida have such laws?

I can only speak about LA.

If you're making your hustle in entertainment (and other things) like I am, it's one of 2 cities in the US that's perfect for it. The other is NY.

Girl-wise, we have diversity here. Lots of immigrants from all over the world, lots of pretty girls coming here to try their luck in entertainment, lots of pretty girls all around period.

In terms of activity, depends on what you like and what you can make happen. I would say it's bustling if you know what sources to tap. I've just started to gallery openings/showings/closings and there's a ton of chicks there. I photograph noob and semi-pro models, actors, and other artists left and right and make contacts and friends with them. Tons of shows to go to, tons of places to chill and eat, farmer's market galore, sunny weather, overall chill atmosphere with nice people, tons of places to day game, etc.

But because I've traveled and have experienced other cultures and women, I wouldn't settle here if I were to raise a family or live long term or base my business here for some of the reasons that G-Man states. I don't like being taxed period. I don't like the car culture--the only advantage is transport everything else about owning and maintaining a car is more money to be ripped off of you, more dirty air, more stress, and more road congestion. I don't like how people live to work and think that's how life is. I don't like stuck up and stupid girls constantly on their phones. I don't like the sexual harassment laws. I don't like stupid people voting for government's hand to intervene in organic/eco-friendly foods, education, and business. The list goes on and I really need a change of surroundings.

Despite all of the things above corny and cliched as it sounds: I try to make the best out my surroundings.

Quote: (01-11-2012 02:14 PM)speakeasy Wrote:  

@G

Can't you base your ventures out of Florida and still live part-time in CA without paying state income tax?

Part of the reason state income tax may be high is because of prop 13 where people that bought homes decades ago are paying extremely low property tax rates relative to the value of the property, depriving the state of revenue. Does Florida have such laws?

Speak -

Yeah, I technically could. Which might be an option, however, I think summer will be in Canada or Europe for me.

You are right about the property taxes in California.

Florida hoses you on property taxes, which is where they make it up.

This is how I understand it anyway.

I don't plan to buy a property in Florida, so, problem solved.

Don't take this as tax advice, contact your tax attorney.

I like Brickel for nightlife more than South Beach.

Midtown seems dope, only been there a few times.

Coral Gables is pretty fresh.

Coconut Grove seemed to be a cakewalk.

Ft. Lauderdale is like an opponent with a weak chin and its hands down.

Palm Beach is like a slow opponent that cuts easy.

I have been in Miami Beach for the past 6 years. I agree with much of what G has to say. I don't like main land Miami... it's a fucking zoo if you ask me. We all know there are hot women and beautiful beaches in SoFlo. It is also true that Cali trumps Florida in all around things to do. That being said there are some great places to play poker in SoFlo and you can pick up and shoot at a range in minutes with a mire driver's license.

But thing that trumps it for me is the closeness to NYC, and if you get bored... hop a flight to the Caribbean or South America. That should get you out of the doldrums. Anyway good luck in whichever you choose.

Thanks for the comments.

I think when talking about California, it's important to distinguish Southern Cal from the Bay Area. Those two regions are worlds apart. I actually feel like SF has much more in common with NYC than it does with LA. It has true character and identity and mad hoods with different stories. Also, the way the Bay is laid out with bridges and tunnels is similar to NYC. Even the weather in the winter gives it a vibe that's reminds of the East in some ways.

I think this difference is especially important when speaking about the so-called police state in CA. I can see that description being very true for SoCal, which has a lion's share of the state's population, serious environmental concerns, and many rules as a result. However, wrt the Bay, I don't find it to be true at all. I can't really remember seeing cops in SF when I used to live there. I've seen cats smoke weed right in front of cops, having a conversation and everything. It's truly free out there. I think it's as free as you're going to find among American cities.

I just wish the girls were hot. Hipsters ruined it.

Quote: (01-11-2012 08:45 PM)Hencredible Casanova Wrote:  

Thanks for the comments.

I think when talking about California, it's important to distinguish Southern Cal from the Bay Area. Those two regions are worlds apart. I actually feel like SF has much more in common with NYC than it does with LA. It has true character and identity and mad hoods with different stories. Also, the way the Bay is laid out with bridges and tunnels is similar to NYC. Even the weather in the winter gives it a vibe that's reminds of the East in some ways.

I think this difference is especially important when speaking about the so-called police state in CA. I can see that description being very true for SoCal, which has a lion's share of the state's population, serious environmental concerns, and many rules as a result. However, wrt the Bay, I don't find it to be true at all. I can't really remember seeing cops in SF when I used to live there. I've seen cats smoke weed right in front of cops, having a conversation and everything. It's truly free out there. I think it's as free as you're going to find among American cities.

Agreed 100.

Northern California is not the object of my scathing indictment.

For purposes of this thread, any time I refer to "California" I am referring to the Southern California Metro-Plex: Los Angeles, Orange County and San Diego.

The Bay is not included.

Miami does have high quality, but the girls aren't very friendly. Cali has plenty of good looking girls. If you're into latinas because you like the way they act, don't count on Miami being anything like Colombia or Brazil when it comes to Latinas. They are just as bad if not worse than any other American girls around.There's really nothing to do in Miami but get fucked up and party, which is fun for a little while, but at some point you need something else in your life. If you like the outdoors, Cali hands down. I hardly go to the beach because there are no waves to surf here in FL. I really wish I would have moved to cali, where I could snowboard and surf in the same day if I really wanted to. Miami really does get old fast. But if you got a big cash flow, look real good, and have ins, Miami might just be your spot.

i've spent some time in all of those areas. if i was single and had to chose i'd probably chose San Diego. they all have their pros and cons. Miami is great in the winter and you are close to other east coast cities, but there isnt much to do in Miami other then go to the beach, hang out on a boat, and drink. most of the people i met there are incredibly shallow, superficial, and flaky. its basically an extension of South America. LA would be fun for a little while provided you can structure your life in a way that avoids having to drive too much. There are definitely nice parts, like Santa Monica and Manhattan Beach. there are also 3rd world dumps. far more to do there then the others. SD is cool - chill, not overly crowded very laid back. but if you are from the east coast you will probably go batshit crazy trying to hold an intelligent conversation w/the stoned out surfer types. SD just sucks the drive out of people and makes them chill and lazy. LA has more of a driven, career oriented feel, although its all geared around the entertainment industry. Stay out of Orange County - there are some places like Newport Beach and Laguna that are beautiful but if you are single you will get get bored out of your mind very quickly.

Quote: (01-12-2012 12:21 AM)InternationPlayboy Wrote:  

Miami does have high quality, but the girls aren't very friendly. Cali has plenty of good looking girls. If you're into latinas because you like the way they act, don't count on Miami being anything like Colombia or Brazil when it comes to Latinas. They are just as bad if not worse than any other American girls around.There's really nothing to do in Miami but get fucked up and party, which is fun for a little while, but at some point you need something else in your life. If you like the outdoors, Cali hands down. I hardly go to the beach because there are no waves to surf here in FL. I really wish I would have moved to cali, where I could snowboard and surf in the same day if I really wanted to. Miami really does get old fast. But if you got a big cash flow, look real good, and have ins, Miami might just be your spot.

What I like about Cali is that the dudes out there don't give an F about their chicks. Real player mentality out there, and I think that's part of the reason why the chicks in CA are usually cool. I think dudes in Miami are real thirsty. Chicks from all over love going down there because it gives them an ego boost. They get hollered at left and right, even the ugly ones. I think that's what ruins it for us who want to go down there and scoop a nice South American chick. Even though Spanish is the dominant language and the culture is Latin, the game is too American down there. If you got a dope chick in Miami, mad dudes are going to holler at her ALL THE TIME.

Guys who go down there expecting to find Colombia or Brazil will be very disappointed. You're better off "cutting out the middleman" and flying straight to the source.

Quote: (01-12-2012 01:01 AM)Brian Wrote:  

LA would be fun for a little while provided you can structure your life in a way that avoids having to drive too much. There are definitely nice parts, like Santa Monica and Manhattan Beach. there are also 3rd world dumps. far more to do there then the others. SD is cool - chill, not overly crowded very laid back. but if you are from the east coast you will probably go batshit crazy trying to hold an intelligent conversation w/the stoned out surfer types. SD just sucks the drive out of people and makes them chill and lazy. LA has more of a driven, career oriented feel, although its all geared around the entertainment industry. Stay out of Orange County - there are some places like Newport Beach and Laguna that are beautiful but if you are single you will get get bored out of your mind very quickly.

Great assessment about SoCal. I totally agree. I also think the "nice parts of LA" can hold their own against most other spots. I could totally get with Santa Monica, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, and even Long Beach. There's mad nice areas along and near the coast. I just can't do "urban LA." I'd rather be in a "real city" in that case (NYC, Chi, SF, etc).

Quote: (01-12-2012 12:03 AM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

Quote: (01-11-2012 08:45 PM)Hencredible Casanova Wrote:  

Thanks for the comments.

Agreed 100.

Northern California is not the object of my scathing indictment.

For purposes of this thread, any time I refer to "California" I am referring to the Southern California Metro-Plex: Los Angeles, Orange County and San Diego.

The Bay is not included.

[quote] (01-11-2012 03:50 AM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

[quote='Hencredible Casanova' pid='142165' dateline='1326265364']
[quote='thegmanifesto' pid='142162' dateline='1326264704']

When it comes down to it, no city in America is perfect.

I really like my "two cities" theory on this thing: http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-9436.html

But don't discount the No State Income Tax in Florida.

Even if one of the West Coast cities was straight up equal with Miami (which in my opinion they are not for reasons mentioned above) the no tax thing pushes Miami over the edge.

Trust me, when I write my tax check this year, I will be almost suicidal.

I can't in good conscience stay in California.

F*ck them.

For what? So they can tell me I can't smoke? So they can tell me I can't get a drink after 1:30am? So I can look at girls in Ugg boots? So they can tell me I can't walk across the street when the light is red? To live in a place where restaurants close at 10pm? So I can have cops on every corner? So bars close when a night should be beginning? So they can tell me I can't have a glass bottle on the boardwalk? So I can't smoke or drink on the beach? So I can't light up a cigarette with a beautiful girl in a park? So I can't smoke at all (you know its coming)?

So I can live around people that are so institutionalized that I am the literally the only person that questions any of these things?

No thanks.

That being said, your tripping if you think I will spend summer in Miami.

Hence, my "two cities" theory.[/quote]

The two cities theory IS the solution to the no-perfect city dilemma. It takes an airtight game plan and strategy to pull off long-term. That's true playboy lifestyle!

Now, fellas, with that being the goal, how do we pull it off into perpetuity? The question remains...

Quote: (01-12-2012 02:10 AM)Hencredible Casanova Wrote:  

Quote: (01-12-2012 12:21 AM)InternationPlayboy Wrote:  

What I like about Cali is that the dudes out there don't give an F about their chicks. Real player mentality out there, and I think that's part of the reason why the chicks in CA are usually cool. I think dudes in Miami are real thirsty. Chicks from all over love going down there because it gives them an ego boost. They get hollered at left and right, even the ugly ones. I think that's what ruins it for us who want to go down there and scoop a nice South American chick. Even though Spanish is the dominant language and the culture is Latin, the game is too American down there. If you got a dope chick in Miami, mad dudes are going to holler at her ALL THE TIME.

Guys who go down there expecting to find Colombia or Brazil will be very disappointed. You're better off "cutting out the middleman" and flying straight to the source.

You're 100% right. I always say, Miami is just about the worst latin america has to offer, in reguards to hooking up at least. The quality's there, it's just missing the ease that latin america has. But that said, it still has a lot of other things going for it as far as being an american city. The dudes out here are thirsty and the competition is fierce. I also agree that in Cali the guys don't seems as hungry, at least from what I've encountered.

Quote: (01-12-2012 02:10 AM)Hencredible Casanova Wrote:  

What I like about Cali is that the dudes out there don't give an F about their chicks. Real player mentality out there

Something for you mean green Cali players..