rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Floyd Mayweather calls out Manny Pacquiao for May

Tweets:

Quote:Quote:

Floyd Mayweather
Manny Pacquiao I'm calling you out let's fight May 5th and give the world what they want to see.

Floyd Mayweather
My Jail Sentence was pushed back because the date was locked in. Step up Punk.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:7447389

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/744...ao-5-fight

I really like Pacquiao, but after that last fight with Marquez, I think he realistically stands little chance of beating Floyd, unless he gets lucky or taps into some super human will and determination.

If Pacquiao stops hiding behind his promoter and DEMANDS Arum make this fight, it will happen. Pac's legacy is as greatly harmed as Floyd's would be without this fight. It's always been business, not fear, that's prevented this fight. The PED posturing was all about Floyd fucking with Arum. But Arum is a promoter. He shouldn't be making fights. Floyd and Pac need to sit in a room and hash this out. Pac also needs to drop the silly defamation suit against Floyd over the PEDs nonsense.

"The best kind of pride is that which compels a man to do his best when no one is watching."

This could be one of the greatest fights ever, if it happens. Manny is quite good, but Mayweather is way ahead, but hey you never know, look what happened to the big bad Brock Lesnar.

Let's get it on!

I got a couple of homeboys on Wall Street who tell me that they are going mad for this up there. Cats have already "preempted" and booked flights to Vegas for the first week of May.

For those of us who don't live in Southern California (from where Vegas is just a few hours drive), it might be worthwhile to jump on planning now.

This is one of the few fights in years worth actually being in attendance for. Prices will go bonanza once/if this shit becomes confirmed.

Just a thought...

I'm putting my money on Mayweather. Hate him or love him, he's undefeated.

Quote: (01-10-2012 05:17 PM)Timoteo Wrote:  

If Pacquiao stops hiding behind his promoter and DEMANDS Arum make this fight, it will happen. Pac's legacy is as greatly harmed as Floyd's would be without this fight. It's always been business, not fear, that's prevented this fight. The PED posturing was all about Floyd fucking with Arum. But Arum is a promoter. He shouldn't be making fights. Floyd and Pac need to sit in a room and hash this out. Pac also needs to drop the silly defamation suit against Floyd over the PEDs nonsense.

This is BS. Floyd didn't want this fight for the past 3 years. He has an undefeated record and didn't want to risk it fighting Pacman. He prevented the fight by hiding behind PED testing and asking for too much money.

Now, that Manny is 3 years older and slower (on top of it, he's just plain older than Floyd), Floyd's conveniently ready to go. There is so much irony in Floyd calling out Pac.

Roy Jones Jr did the same shit to Bernard Hopkins a decade ago. Robbed us of the greatest rematch in the history of boxing. He didn't want to risk his status. Finally agreed to the fight after they were both over the hill just to get paid. Sad.

Floyd is the better boxer. Too bad this fight didn't happen a couple years ago when it would have been more exciting.

Btw. Floyd Mayweather is the dumbest athlete I've ever heard talk. Dude is a donkey.

Actually, Floyd isn't asking for too much money. Floyd actually pushed for parity in terms of purses. If you remember, Oscar DeLaHoya had a legal battle with Arum to free himself, and after that Oscar got every fight he wanted made. And HE made far more than his opponents. Hopkins has always been a tough fighter, but wasn't in Roy's class skill-wise. Admittedly, Roy would refuse any fight that didn't pay him what he wanted. He was jaded early on with the boxing game (partly by what happened to him in the Olympics), and wouldn't fight if everything wasn't to his liking. I actually think Pac is, and has always been tailor made for Floyd's style. I think Floyd would win a comfortable decision. The truth is Pac has never stood up and demanded this fight, because it isn't in his personality. Fighters in general are too quick to defer to their promoters and "people" to pick opponents, when that isn't a promoters job. Pac has enough juice to demand Arum get out of the way and get this made. See the bottom link with regards to why Arum doesn't want to deal with Floyd...

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/743...ther-fight

http://www.examiner.com/filipino-sports-...eather-may

http://www.badlefthook.com/2012/1/6/2688...um-excuses

For those that truly believe Floyd Mayweather is stupid, read the story below. The stalled Mayweather/Pac fight is really about power and control behind the scenes with Arum, and always has been. Since it's easy to dislike Mayweather, and he does and says things that warrant that, it's easy to say he's a punk or afraid. I've never believed that, and still don't.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/17/sports...jr.&st=cse

"The best kind of pride is that which compels a man to do his best when no one is watching."

Quote: (01-10-2012 08:36 PM)Luckystar Wrote:  

This is BS. Floyd didn't want this fight for the past 3 years. He has an undefeated record and didn't want to risk it fighting Pacman. He prevented the fight by hiding behind PED testing and asking for too much money.

Now, that Manny is 3 years older and slower (on top of it, he's just plain older than Floyd), Floyd's conveniently ready to go. There is so much irony in Floyd calling out Pac.

Roy Jones Jr did the same shit to Bernard Hopkins a decade ago. Robbed us of the greatest rematch in the history of boxing. He didn't want to risk his status. Finally agreed to the fight after they were both over the hill just to get paid. Sad.

Floyd is the better boxer. Too bad this fight didn't happen a couple years ago when it would have been more exciting.

Btw. Floyd Mayweather is the dumbest athlete I've ever heard talk. Dude is a donkey.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, however incorrect they may be.

However, factual incorrections don't fly. Especially on boxing when I am in the ring.

Now, that Manny is 3 years older and slower (on top of it, he's just plain older than Floyd)

Floyd is 34 years old

Manny is 33 years old

That fact alone blows up your whole hair-brained "theory".

Floyd had this three years ago, and he has it now IMO. Pac is awesome, but he has trouble with counter punchers like JMM. Floyd is the KING of slick counter punchers and I think he embarrasses Manny. I've been sayin this for years and non boxing fans (I'm not a huge fan) look at me like I'm crazy and think Pac will knock him out. Just watch his fights with JMM and see what I mean.

Of course, I'm not the boxing fan that G is, so he might need to set me straight lol.

Quote: (01-10-2012 10:02 PM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

Quote: (01-10-2012 08:36 PM)Luckystar Wrote:  

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, however incorrect they may be.

However, factual incorrections don't fly. Especially on boxing when I am in the ring.

Now, that Manny is 3 years older and slower (on top of it, he's just plain older than Floyd)

Floyd is 34 years old

Manny is 33 years old

That fact alone blows up your whole hair-brained "theory".

Looks like you misunderstood the simple premise of my 'hair brained theory', G.

Yes, looks like I am incorrect about Manny's age, but do you really think a fight where 33-34 year old guys passed there prime is going to prove who the better fighter was? Was Manny a better fighter three years ago or today?

Exactly, those prime years are over. The fight just proves who's the better 34 yr old fighter. Awesome.

Quote: (01-10-2012 09:00 PM)Timoteo Wrote:  

Actually, Floyd isn't asking for too much money. Floyd actually pushed for parity in terms of purses. If you remember, Oscar DeLaHoya had a legal battle with Arum to free himself, and after that Oscar got every fight he wanted made. And HE made far more than his opponents. Hopkins has always been a tough fighter, but wasn't in Roy's class skill-wise. Admittedly, Roy would refuse any fight that didn't pay him what he wanted. He was jaded early on with the boxing game (partly by what happened to him in the Olympics), and wouldn't fight if everything wasn't to his liking. I actually think Pac is, and has always been tailor made for Floyd's style. I think Floyd would win a comfortable decision. The truth is Pac has never stood up and demanded this fight, because it isn't in his personality. Fighters in general are too quick to defer to their promoters and "people" to pick opponents, when that isn't a promoters job. Pac has enough juice to demand Arum get out of the way and get this made. See the bottom link with regards to why Arum doesn't want to deal with Floyd...

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/743...ther-fight

http://www.examiner.com/filipino-sports-...eather-may

http://www.badlefthook.com/2012/1/6/2688...um-excuses

For those that truly believe Floyd Mayweather is stupid, read the story below. The stalled Mayweather/Pac fight is really about power and control behind the scenes with Arum, and always has been. Since it's easy to dislike Mayweather, and he does and says things that warrant that, it's easy to say he's a punk or afraid. I've never believed that, and still don't.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/17/sports...jr.&st=cse

Floyd didn't need to ask for PED testing. I don't know of another fighter that has stalled a fight over this. If he really wanted to fight, this wouldn't have been an issue. The purse was less of an issue, true. Floyd was asking for more before, but he didn't need to take a hard stance because he was leaning on the PEDs issue.

Hopkins-Jones: Hopkins peaked after fighting the first Jones fight and then Jones didn't want to put his record on the line after that. I agree Jones was always the better fighter, much like Floyd in this case.

Floyd really isn't an old 34. None of the things that age fighters applies to Floyd. He's never been in any wars. He's never taken a beating, let alone a few beatings. He's barely been hit at all. He's not a high volume puncher, so he hasn't shot his wad. Guys that fight like Manny burn out a lot quicker. Also, Floyd doesn't balloon up in between fights, then struggle to make weight. This also ages fighters. Floyd, even when not fighting, is always in the gym. He's completely solid and natural at his weight. His age isn't a factor. He's the youngest 34 you'll find in the fight game.

I remember the two sides actually settling the PEDs issue, but yet the fight still didn't get made. And Manny's reasons for not submitting in the first place were pretty flimsy (superstition? Getting blood draw too close to the fight woud drain him?). Filing a defamation suit? But really...Arum has always been the problem here. And I don't think Manny was so much hiding behind him as allowing his promoter to run things. Manny has never stood up and said he wanted the fight, however I do recall him saying in a live interview that he DIDN'T feel he needed it. He was nonchalant about it. I'm not saying anyone is scared, but I think he needs to exercise power that he may not even realize he has. Regardless of all the foolishness that's happened up until now, if many TELLS Arum he wants this, it'll happen. Both fighters will enjoy a bonanza. Arum's just mad he won't get as much out of this as he wants.

Quote: (01-10-2012 11:41 PM)Timoteo Wrote:  

Floyd really isn't an old 34. None of the things that age fighters applies to Floyd. He's never been in any wars. He's never taken a beating, let alone a few beatings. He's barely been hit at all. He's not a high volume puncher, so he hasn't shot his wad. Guys that fight like Manny burn out a lot quicker. Also, Floyd doesn't balloon up in between fights, then struggle to make weight. This also ages fighters. Floyd, even when not fighting, is always in the gym. He's completely solid and natural at his weight. His age isn't a factor. He's the youngest 34 you'll find in the fight game.

I remember the two sides actually settling the PEDs issue, but yet the fight still didn't get made. And Manny's reasons for not submitting in the first place were pretty flimsy (superstition? Getting blood draw too close to the fight woud drain him?). Filing a defamation suit? But really...Arum has always been the problem here. And I don't think Manny was so much hiding behind him as allowing his promoter to run things. Manny has never stood up and said he wanted the fight, however I do recall him saying in a live interview that he DIDN'T feel he needed it. He was nonchalant about it. I'm not saying anyone is scared, but I think he needs to exercise power that he may not even realize he has. Regardless of all the foolishness that's happened up until now, if many TELLS Arum he wants this, it'll happen. Both fighters will enjoy a bonanza. Arum's just mad he won't get as much out of this as he wants.

Floyd is in incredible shape for a 34 yr old, but again, that isn't my point. Manny is older and less dangerous now (he definitely did not look good in the last fight). I think we all should be able to agree on this.

I'm not disagreeing about Arum. I think both Arum and Floyd prevented the fight and Manny stood out of the way. Floyd, being one of the fighters, has to take more responsibility because he was representing himself (from what I understand). The PED issue is insulting - Floyd deserved a legal headache for the BS he was spewing. Manny hasn't been proven anything but clean. He doesn't have to jump for Floyd over this BS.

I wouldn't mind watching Mayweather get knocked out

Manny's problem with Marquez is more about style than him slipping. Marquez simply has a difficult style for him to look good against. It's the same thing with the common opponents of Floyd and Pac. Pac's style is much more aggressive/offensive, so he'll get guys out quicker and maybe bust them up more. Floyd sits back and counters, then steps it up late one guys have punched themselves out. Many use the common opponents as some kind of indication that Pac will destroy Floyd. I think real fight fans know styles make fights and dictate results.

Floyd does represent himself, and he didn't want to give an inch against Arum. Arum had difficulties with DeLaHoya early in his career also. As a fighter, if you've gained certain power, you SHOULDN'T give an inch. You're the guy that goes in there and gets hit. Too many fighters end up old, punch drunk and broke. If a fighter gets to the point where he's getting paid off of EVERY aspect of the promotion, he shouldn't give that up to a crooked promoter. Arum hated Don King because King was a bigger crook than him and actually ran Jose Sulaiman and the WBC. He was triple-dipping (promoters can't be managers, but had his son Carl installed as manager, and even had a daughter involved with fighters running fan clubs too if I recall). Arum has used his position, and Floyd's poor public image to dispense disinformation about the reasons this fight isn't getting made. I think we're seeing that more and more. Pac's own people blame Arum. Roach and others might talk shit about Floyd, but they know the deal.

Lucky -

I didn't mean to come off harsh. No love lost.

Anyone on here knows, when the subject of boxing is brought up on here, I am going to check people.

I do it all day long in the real world and I can't help myself here.

I don't know of another fighter that has stalled a fight over this.

Learn your boxing history. I don't mean this in a bad way.

Sugar Ray Leornard did the same thing to Marvelous Marvin Hagler. It happens all the time in boxing.

What it comes down to is who will win the fight. Mayweather is a boxing genius and not just in the ring. He is a straight genius all the way.

He beats fighters before they step into the ring. Like Ali. Like Sugar Ray.

Yes, looks like I am incorrect about Manny's age, but do you really think a fight where 33-34 year old guys passed there prime is going to prove who the better fighter was? Was Manny a better fighter three years ago or today?

I like that you admitted that you were wrong. I respect that.

As far as your question, who knows?

One year ago or so when Manny destroyed Margarito, people thought that was his best performance ever. And he was only getting better.

Now that most people (correctly) think he lost to Marquez, everyone thinks he is past his prime.

Again, who knows? He arguably lost to Marquez three times. Marquez has his number. I don't personally think Manny has faded too much if at all.

Timoteo -

But really...Arum has always been the problem here. And I don't think Manny was so much hiding behind him as allowing his promoter to run things.

This is dead on. The promoters are always the biggest problems.

I am not throwing out an official prediction till before the fight, but I do take issue with people saying "Maweather is scared of Manny" (or vice versa even though that is said to a less extent).

Mayweather "scared" of Manny? Come on.

The kid was born in a ring with gloves on his hands.

Neither of these guys are scared of anything, boxing-wise.

Quote: (01-11-2012 12:00 AM)Timoteo Wrote:  

Manny's problem with Marquez is more about style than him slipping. Marquez simply has a difficult style for him to look good against. It's the same thing with the common opponents of Floyd and Pac. Pac's style is much more aggressive/offensive, so he'll get guys out quicker and maybe bust them up more. Floyd sits back and counters, then steps it up late one guys have punched themselves out. Many use the common opponents as some kind of indication that Pac will destroy Floyd. I think real fight fans know styles make fights and dictate results.

Floyd does represent himself, and he didn't want to give an inch against Arum. Arum had difficulties with DeLaHoya early in his career also. As a fighter, if you've gained certain power, you SHOULDN'T give an inch. You're the guy that goes in there and gets hit. Too many fighters end up old, punch drunk and broke. If a fighter gets to the point where he's getting paid off of EVERY aspect of the promotion, he shouldn't give that up to a crooked promoter. Arum hated Don King because King was a bigger crook than him and actually ran Jose Sulaiman and the WBC. He was triple-dipping (promoters can't be managers, but had his son Carl installed as manager, and even had a daughter involved with fighters running fan clubs too if I recall). Arum has used his position, and Floyd's poor public image to dispense disinformation about the reasons this fight isn't getting made. I think we're seeing that more and more. Pac's own people blame Arum. Roach and others might talk shit about Floyd, but they know the deal.

All true, Tim. But it still doesn't justify the PED fiasco. If Floyd was heavying me about PED testing I'd tell him to fuck off. Plain and simple.

You are SO right about Leonard/Hagler. Hagler lost that fight in negotiations. Leonard, who was coming out of retirement to fight one of the greatest midldleweights EVER, knew he didn't stand a chance straight up. So he negotiated away all of Marvin's advantages. Ray knew he couldn't withstand the shots with 8 ounce gloves, so he negotiated for 10 ounce pillows. He knew he couldn't go 15 rounds, so he negotiated it down to 12. He didn't want Marvin to corner him in a smaller ring, so he negotiated for a larger one that would allow him to dance away from trouble. Marvin said yes, yes, yes, because he badly wanted the fight, and didn't think any of those things would prevent him from beating Ray. Ray fought masterfully...for the last 30 seconds of each round, selling most of the judges. I watched the fight on closed circuit in a movie theater in Astoria, Queens. At the end of the fight, I had a strong feeling it would go to Leonard, though I know he didn't BEAT Hagler.

Quote: (01-11-2012 12:02 AM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

Lucky -

I didn't mean to come off harsh. No love lost.

Anyone on here knows, when the subject of boxing is brought up on here, I am going to check people.

I do it all day long in the real world and I can't help myself here.

I don't know of another fighter that has stalled a fight over this.

Learn your boxing history. I don't mean this in a bad way.

Sugar Ray Leornard did the same thing to Marvelous Marvin Hagler. It happens all the time in boxing.

What it comes down to is who will win the fight. Mayweather is a boxing genius and not just in the ring. He is a straight genius all the way.

He beats fighters before they step into the ring. Like Ali. Like Sugar Ray.

I like that you admitted that you were wrong. I respect that.

As far as your question, who knows?

One year ago or so when Manny destroyed Margarito, people thought that was his best performance ever. And he was only getting better.

Now that most people (correctly) think he lost to Marquez, everyone thinks he is past his prime.

Again, who knows? He arguably lost to Marquez three times. Marquez has his number. I don't personally think Manny has faded too much if at all.

You're right, G. Mayweather is a great fighter, no question. Let's hope Manny will rise to the occasion and makes it a good fight. We've all been waiting forever.

Quote: (01-11-2012 12:10 AM)Luckystar Wrote:  

Quote: (01-11-2012 12:00 AM)Timoteo Wrote:  

All true, Tim. But it still doesn't justify the PED fiasco. If Floyd was heavying me about PED testing I'd tell him to fuck off. Plain and simple.

But remember...Shane Mosley's name came up in the BALCO mess. Shane may very well have been on it for the Margarito fight, when he shockingly destroyed the destroyer. We have to acknowledge Pac's surprising rise through all of those divisions, maintaining size and speed throughout. I'm not making accusations, but those would be the signs of a guy using. It really isn't a big deal to have a tube of blood drawn. Pac's response was about pride, feeling his character was being attacked. Fair enough. But that didn't hold the fight up much in the grand scheme of things. You can't put it past any athlete in any sport to use something if they know they won't get tested for it.

Quote: (01-11-2012 12:12 AM)Timoteo Wrote:  

You are SO right about Leonard/Hagler. Hagler lost that fight in negotiations. Leonard, who was coming out of retirement to fight one of the greatest midldleweights EVER, knew he didn't stand a chance straight up. So he negotiated away all of Marvin's advantages. Ray knew he couldn't withstand the shots with 8 ounce gloves, so he negotiated for 10 ounce pillows. He knew he couldn't go 15 rounds, so he negotiated it down to 12. He didn't want Marvin to corner him in a smaller ring, so he negotiated for a larger one that would allow him to dance away from trouble. Marvin said yes, yes, yes, because he badly wanted the fight, and didn't think any of those things would prevent him from beating Ray. Ray fought masterfully...for the last 30 seconds of each round, selling most of the judges. I watched the fight on closed circuit in a movie theater in Astoria, Queens. At the end of the fight, I had a strong feeling it would go to Leonard, though I know he didn't BEAT Hagler.

You definitely know your boxing history.

Yeah, those advantages (ring size, gloves, and especially 12 round distance back when 15 rounds was still commonplace) were huge for Sugar Ray.

I remember as a little kid, I was hoping Hagler would win so bad (I usually back the villain).

However, every time I watch that fight it seems closer and closer (I have it on DVD).

Sugar Ray put on an amazing performance. He did "steal" rounds with flurries the last 30 seconds of each round. A tactic that is easier said than done.

He hit Hagler low. He hit Hagler after the bell.

He threw something like a 14 punch combo at one point.

This all being coupled with a detached retina.

Seriously, before that fight, more people thought he would go blind than win the fight.

You can't take anything away from either man.

Hagler got my respect also when he walked away from the ring, never to return.

Moved to Italy and dabbled in acting there. That's G.

And he made some of that easy commercial paper. No one deserves that "easy money" more than a boxer.

Classic Hagler commercial:

Hagler always seemed to be fighting more than his opponent throughout his career. When he was coming up, guys ducked him because he was a southpaw and so good. He couldn't get a title shot forever. When he finally got in with Vito Antoufermo and shredded him, the called it a draw (he famously wouldn't marry Bertha until he was champ, but he married her after that fight because he KNEW he won and should have been champ). He had to go to England to get the title from Alan Minter, and he destroyed him in 5, leaving his face a sheet of blood. But he couldn't enjoy it, because full beer bottles got hurled into the ring. The Petronellis and other handlers had to have him kneel in the ring so they could cover him until the bobbies could get him out. He felt the Leonard loss was the final indignity, and he just couldn't stomach having his title taken that way. So yeah, he walked away. He did what most fighters can't - he stayed away. He starred in "Sgt. Iron" movies over in Italy. It's like how Jim Brown and Barry Sanders walked away in football. Marvin was my favorite fighter for a long time. I loved how there was no feeling out process for him - he stepped in and went to work on cats. He was the ultimate boxer/slugger. However you wanted to get down, he brought it harder than you.

I think people put too much stock into Manny's last fight against Marquez. I think most people seem to overlook that Marquez himself is an all time great fighter, and are quick to say that Pacquiao's performance showed he's on the decline. Marquez is probably just that good. Having said that, I think Manny would lose to Floyd.

It pains be to say this, because I love Manny and don't really like Floyd, but Mayweather simply has shown too much skill. The way to neutralize Floyd is with an authoritative jab (as Oscar showed for the first half of their fight in 2007) which Manny lacks. I think the only way Pacquiao could win is if he were to stun Floyd with a punch from an odd angle, which isn't out of the question, then pounces on Floyd to force the stoppage. I don't see Manny winning a decision here.

This fight kind of reminds me of Pernell Whitaker against Chavez, a defensive wizard counterpuncher against a hard charging brawler. Whitaker dominated and was given a draw which was ridiculous, but it's the same principle. Very hard to beat someone who's defense is that hard to get through, because you can't really land clean shots. I hope the fight happens though, and if it does I'll be there.

The only thing I don't like about this calling out is the timing...where was this cry out from Floyd when Pac and him are undisputed top of their game a few years ago...saying we're the best let's go do this...best man win...nope he waits till Pac looks to have regressed...looks like the ring miles have caught up...he's not as hungry...other side interests are looming huge in his life...when he was focused on nothing but boxing where was Floyd then? Situation hasn't changed, Arum didn't want to risk his cash cow then or now...but it would've held more water if Floyd were chasing Pac for years not waiting till it looked like the edge had slid over to him...Arum might well have been shutting this fight down at every step but it seemed like Pac was saying give me Floyd while Floyd seemed to have no interest...he'd say the cursory sure if this and this and this happens, make it appear like he wasn't dodging but he wasn't actively looking for this fight...not out of fear of Manny as a person but fear of tarnishing his legacy...best p4p of all time, undefeated...all things he can boast or is in the conversation of... did he wanna chance Manny in his prime and risk that 1 in the loss column? if anybody stood a shot it was Manny then...just seems like Money now believes Pacs shots gone and this is when we start hearing all this...

I don't blame Floyd alone for this fight not having happened, Arum played a monsterous part but my gut feeling if Arum was 100% behind this, this whole time...we'd still not have seen this fight yet...