rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Post your workout routine here

There are so many threads about workout routines, so I thought I'd start one where everyone posts what they are currently doing. Hopefully this can be used as a way to offer advice/get feedback.

Here is my current weight lifting routine:

day 1:
5x5 squats
5x5 flat bench
3x10 push press (an explosive form of shoulder press)
3 sets of 1 triceps exercise (skull crushers, rope pushdowns, etc)
abs

day 2:
5x5 deadlifts
5x5 barbell rows (has worked wonders with making my back thick)
3 sets of bicep curls
(kettlebells)
abs

day 3:
5x5 incline bench press
3 sets/6-8 reps Romanian deadlifts
3 sets/6-8 reps front squats
3-5sets/6-10reps pullups

I keep things very basic. Right now I am going for strength, not mass. I will probably join a new gym with kettlebells. With kettlebells I keep things metabolic, meaning that I go for high reps and low rest periods. Kettlebell exercises I do include: swings, high pulls, goblet squats, shoulder press, linear snatches, curvilinear snatches, cleans, front squats. I am obsessed with kettlebells. Just be carefull not to use kettlebells without proper coaching, or you can easily fuck your shit up.

day 1 -

Back
warm up with wide grip pull ups 4 sets 10-12 reps
tbar rows - 4 sets 10 reps
deadlifts - 4 sets 10 reps / some days I will skip and use a hammer strength back machine instead
dumbells (lawnmower pulls ) - 3 sets
smith machine shrugs - 4 sets in front and 3 sets behind
20 minute cardio fast walk on treadmill incline

Day 2

Legs
seated leg raises - 5 sets
lying leg curls - 5 sets
smith machine squats - 5 sets (3 plates aside max)
calf raises - 3 sets
Shoulders
clean/jerk - 4 sets
arnold press - 4 sets
flyes - 4 sets
cardio - 20-30 minute treadmill walk incline

Day 3

Chest
Incline press barbell - 4 sets (2 plates max) * this is my fave exercise because it makes your chest look incredible.
Incline dumbell press - 4 sets
Decline hammer strength machine - 4 sets
Flyes or cable crossover - 4 sets
Arms
Hammer curls - 3 sets
Cable pull downs - 3 sets
Concentration curls - 3 sets
Cardio - 20 -30 min treadmill fast walk incline

I don't do abs because I am lucky enough that they show, I concentrate alot of my diet which i think is more important.

1x a week I play indoor soccer in winter and outdoor in summer, incredible cardio workout.

Our New Blog:

http://www.repstylez.com

Rudebwoy- Is there a reason you do squats on the Smith machine? From everything I've heard, that's not a good idea as it's not really a normal movement since the bar is fixed on a plane.

Here's mine:

Monday: Legs
Squats
Lunges/Front squats
RDL (For hamstrings)
Calf raises
Abs

Tuesday: Chest
Bench press/dumbells
Incline press/dumbells
One arm dumbell press
Chest flys
Dips/Close grip bench/Skull crushers

Thursday: Back
Deadlifts
Pull ups
Bent over barbell rows
Lat pull downs/Cable rows
Abs

Friday: Shoulders
Overhead press (sometimes standing sometimes sitting)
Arnolds
Upright rows
Front/side raises
Shrugs

I do 3-4 sets of around 6-10 reps and as soon as I can get 3 sets of 10, I increase the weight. I got back into this routine about 6 weeks ago after not lifting for a year and I have literally gained 10 pounds of muscle since I started, as I haven't changed my diet at all. I also play pick up basketball a few times a week

Having some desirable results doing this Ectomorph training routine

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workout...orphs.html

3 X 3.5 mile run with 20 minutes press ups,sit ups ,squats,burpees,mountain climbers ,various stretches.All out in the open in Hyde Park ,London

Keeps me around 210 at 6ft 4",although I'm having to eat a bit more to keep the weight up

Quote: (01-10-2012 01:57 AM)Only One Man Wrote:  

Rudebwoy- Is there a reason you do squats on the Smith machine? From everything I've heard, that's not a good idea as it's not really a normal movement since the bar is fixed on a plane.

Here's mine:

Squats
Lunges/Front squats
RDL (For hamstrings)
Calf raises
Abs

Bench press/dumbells
Incline press/dumbells
One arm dumbell press
Chest flys

Deadlifts
Pull ups
Bent over barbell rows
Abs

Arnolds
Upright rows
Front/side raises
Shrugs

I do 3-4 sets of around 6-10 reps and as soon as I can get 3 sets of 10, I increase the weight. I got back into this routine about 6 weeks ago after not lifting for a year and I have literally gained 10 pounds of muscle since I started, as I haven't changed my diet at all. I also play pick up basketball a few times a week

I do squats on the smith machine because I have been at this for 15 years and I train my body not ego. I use to do it the traditonal way but my poor knees suffered and I had a scare once with my lower back.
On the smith machine I work up to 3 plates of 45llbs aside which is a killer workout and my back is perfectly straight.

Your workout looks pretty good, how do you find upright rows?
They kill my shoulders so I have had to eliminate the exercise altogether.

Our New Blog:

I don't really lift weights anymore.

1 hour of boxing training, 6 minuets of jump rope, 50 pushups, 50 situps, 50 jump squats and whatever else the coach has us do. Afterwords i eat something nutritious and smoke a Recovery ciggarette. I do this Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. I just weighed myself and I'm a nimble 185 pounds.

Quote: (01-10-2012 11:43 PM)rudebwoy Wrote:  

I do squats on the smith machine because I have been at this for 15 years and I train my body not ego. I use to do it the traditonal way but my poor knees suffered and I had a scare once with my lower back.
On the smith machine I work up to 3 plates of 45llbs aside which is a killer workout and my back is perfectly straight.

If you are concerned about your knees and back then the smith machine is the last place you want to squat. You absolutely can not squat with proper form on the smith machine and it is much worse on your knees and back than doing a proper, free weight squat. This isn't my opinion, it is fact that you can research yourself. Pick up a copy of Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe if you want to learn how to squat properly, and improve the health of your knees.

Telling someone to squat in the smith machine so they can have proper form and not risk injury is like telling someone they should buy girls roses and take them to expensive dinners and tell them how much you like them to get laid. Most people believe it to be true, but it is actually very far from the truth.

The book above is recommenced highly by many respected strength coaches, body builders, workout enthusiasts, etc. in the know. I encourage you to research it yourself and make your decision.

Workout routines are easy to come up with, hard to maintain.

I'd be more interested in what some of the serious lifters are using as a diet plan. Besides the typical, "eat everything" nonsense. I'm talking specifics here, to keep you from getting bored with chicken every day.

Quote: (01-10-2012 01:57 AM)Only One Man Wrote:  

Here's mine:

Squats
Lunges/Front squats
RDL (For hamstrings)
Calf raises
Abs

Bench press/dumbells
Incline press/dumbells
One arm dumbell press
Chest flys

Deadlifts
Pull ups
Bent over barbell rows
Abs

Arnolds
Upright rows
Front/side raises
Shrugs

I don't really see how the Smith Machine is easier on your knees and back. It forces you to do an unnatural movement and if you are squatting for good weight like you said, I would think you're going to just fuck them up worse. If I were you, I would just go back to regular squats, make sure your form is immaculate, and don't put on more than 225. Obviously you can do whatever the fuck you want.

I like upright rows a lot as my shoulders feel mad built when I do them, but yea, I've heard they can really mess up your shoulders. Apparently bone rubs bone when you get to the top of the lift or something like that. I haven't had any problems yet, but I'm only 24 and haven't lifted on a consistent basis for more than a few months since high school. I'm probably gonna try to find something else to do instead of upright rows.

Here´s my Brasilian buddy and my workout routine...hahaha!

1. Climb a Big Wall over several days
2. Dont die!
3. Party
4. At least 4 reps per year
5. Switch up mountain ranges for variety

Max-OT style (4-6 reps with maximum load)

Chest Shoulder &Trcieps
Incline Bench x 3
Dips x 2
Overhead press x 3
Side laterals x 1
Close grip Bench x 2
Pulldown x 1

Back & Biceps
Wide pullups x3
narrow pullups x2
barbell rows x 3
t-bar rows x 2
barbell curl x2

Legs
Squats x 3
Leg press x 2
Stiff legged deadlift x3

I do the same routine, three days a week. I find it pretty easy to maintain, definitely open for criticism. Keep in mind that I'm barely 17 if you have anything to change about it

Squats on power rack 3X10
Bench Press 3X10
Deadlifts 3 sets
Chest press machine 3X10
Cable Row 3X10
Lat Pull Down 3X10
Bicep curl 3X10 then drop the weight and go till I can maintain proper form
Tricep curl 3X10

Cardio: After I finish with my weights I walk for half an hour at 6.5 km/h. Every five minutes I raise the gradient by 0.5% so by the end of the half hour I've done 5 minutes at 2.5%

Monday: Chest
Bench press
Incline press
Close grip bench press
Skull crushers

Tuesday: Back
Deadlifts
Bent Over Rows targets mid back
Rows with Bench targeting upperback
Bicep curls

Thursday: Shoulders
Overhead Press Sitting
Upright rows
Shrugs

Friday: Legs
Squats
Stiff Leg Deadlifts
Calf raises

If am in a time crunch I will add my Shoulders to my Leg day. I also skip rope almost everyday now.

If the squat rack is full, and you can't wait, what exercise do you guys do instead?

I lift weights 4 days a week.

Day 1- Chest, Biceps (haters gon' hate)
Day 2- Legs
Day 3- Shoulders, Triceps
Day 4- Back

Legs and Back are hard enough to get trained on their own. Shoulder and chest can be grouped with a smaller muscle group, in my case biceps and triceps.

I'm going to be cleaning up my eating, and trying to lean down a bit and want to change my routine to compliment it more so I'm thinking of going either two ways:

1) An even more split workout, maybe 5 or 6 days where one of them would be an arm day. I would make sure to be more active than normal, and just focus on eating a cleaner, higher protein diet.

2) A full body split 3 days a week, with cardio on another two days. I'd cycle carbs and calories so that on the days when I don't life weights I'd have a lower caloric intake with lower consumption of carbs.

Quote: (01-12-2012 12:56 PM)WestIndianArchie Wrote:  

If the squat rack is full, and you can't wait, what exercise do you guys do instead?

Nothing will really replace the squat, but depending on your goals a lot of exercises could do well enough.

If you're just after building big quadriceps, leg press or hack squats would work.

But if you're looking for a good overall lower body exercise, snatch grip deadlifts are the best replacement in my opinion. Those and a single leg exercise like lunges or split squats could do the trick.

I am getting back on StrongLifts 5x5. I also took the diet advice to drink a gallon (4Litres) of milk a day (or at least try to) as well as eat lots of pasta, eggs and whatever meats I could get.

day A
squat 5x5
bench press 5x5
barbell rows 5x5

day b
squat 5x5
overhead press 5x5
dead lift 1x5

You alternate between the two, three workouts a week (ABA or BAB).

I gained some strength and weight, which is amazing for an ectomorph like myself.

I took a break and pretty much lost my gains, now i'm slowly gaining strength again.

I usually exercise every other day. I probably could every day, but since my homelife has been really hectic, and I don't have any equipment at my apartment (have to do pushups on my beds around my cats), I've kinda settled for "whenever I can".

"On Day": Ride exercise bike 30min-1hr, 4x 20 pushups, 4x 30 situps, 4x reps heaviest weight I can doing curls, a few pull ups and curl ups. Sometimes I add more stuff on a whim, but this is the core of it.
"Off Day": light 10-min jog, 1x 20 pushups, 1x 30 situps.

In addition all days I walk to nearby stores rather than drive, and I eat very light usually. I get around 700 calories a day, and on weekends have a day of 2000 calories and a day of ~1500. I should probably add supplements or something, but I'm just trying right now to kind of get my body back into decent shape, I'm gonna hit things harder and hit the gym when spring comes.

Quote: (01-11-2012 12:52 AM)RioNomad Wrote:  

If you are concerned about your knees and back then the smith machine is the last place you want to squat. You absolutely can not squat with proper form on the smith machine and it is much worse on your knees and back than doing a proper, free weight squat. This isn't my opinion, it is fact that you can research yourself. Pick up a copy of Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe if you want to learn how to squat properly, and improve the health of your knees.

Telling someone to squat in the smith machine so they can have proper form and not risk injury is like telling someone they should buy girls roses and take them to expensive dinners and tell them how much you like them to get laid. Most people believe it to be true, but it is actually very far from the truth.

The book above is recommenced highly by many respected strength coaches, body builders, workout enthusiasts, etc. in the know. I encourage you to research it yourself and make your decision.

I have been at it for many years and tried different routines. I am maintaining what I have because I am very happy with my physique. Yes, I am aware that proper squats are done with the barbell bar and are much better than the smith machine.
When i do squats my legs are out in front with my torso completely straight, basically I drop my ass onto a bench below so my upper legs and lower legs are at a 90 degree angle. I get a good workout from it and my thighs are pretty big.
I will gladly post my pics one day!!!

Our New Blog:

Right now I am working on building strength. Around April 1st I will begin working on definistion and size so the sets/reps will be more along the lines of 3x10-12.

Mon:
AM -- 6x 100m dash, 6x 30 yard high knees, 6x lateral running 20m, 6x backpeedling 20m then sprint 20m, 6x stadiums(or steps)

PM -- Chest/Tris
4x6 Bench Press
4x6 Dips
4x6 Dumbell Inclines
4x6 Skull Crushers
4x6 Dumbell Flys

Tues:
AM--6 Mile Run with lots of stretching afterwards
PM -- Back/Bis
4x6 Deadlifts
4x6 Chin-ups (Hands Close together)
4x6 Dumbell Rows
4x6 Pull Downs (Wide Grip)
4x6 Seated Rows
4x6 Curls
Wed:
AM -- Off
PM -- Legs
4x6 Squats
4x6 Leg Extensions
4x6 Barbell Lunges
4x6 Calf Raises
4x6 Leg Curls

Thursday:
AM -- Off
PM -- Shoulders/Abs
4x6 Shoulder Press
4x6 Barbell Shrugs
4x6 Dumbell Raises
3x20 Weighted Situps on the decline bench
3x20 hanging leg raises
Fri:
AM -- 5 Mile Interval Run (There are light/phone poles on my route that I sprint the distance between 2 and then jog the next 3 for the whole run)
PM -- Off
Sat:
8 mile JOG to loosen the legs and then stretch with some abs in the AM. If something fun is going on like pickup football or skiing etc I go do this during the day too (or instead of the jog.)
Sun: OFF -- Maybe some stretching.

I follow stronglifts 5x5 and have been for the past few months.

Day A:
5x5 squats
5x5 bench
5x5 row

Day B:
5x5 squats
5x5 press
5x1 deadlift

I alternate the days and do some cardio afterwards.
I've been thinking of adding a few more back/shoulder exercises and some ab work but I dont want it to tire me out too much.

Pushups

Quote: (01-11-2012 12:41 AM)kickboxer Wrote:  

I don't really lift weights anymore.

1 hour of boxing training, 6 minuets of jump rope, 50 pushups, 50 situps, 50 jump squats and whatever else the coach has us do. Afterwords i eat something nutritious and smoke a Recovery ciggarette. I do this Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. I just weighed myself and I'm a nimble 185 pounds.

Interesting

Quote: (01-13-2012 07:48 PM)mofo Wrote:  

Pushups

I did push ups for quite a while. Then I switched to bench press on a smith machine, now just regular bench press. It's far far more effective.