rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Medellin spanish school

Medellin spanish school

What is a good Spanish school in Medellin?

Medellin spanish school

Get a private one-on-one teacher. It's better.

Medellin spanish school

The biggest universities offer group classes.

The most popular is E.A.F.I.T.: http://www.eafit.edu.co/EafitCn/Idiomas/...dellin.htm

There's also U.P.B.: http://convena.upb.edu.co/cdelenguas/ele.html

I took a class at UPB and my friend at EAFIT. The quality will depend on your instructor more than anything, as the programs are similar.

40 hours of instruction will run you about $250 if I remember correctly.

Medellin spanish school

Quote: (08-08-2009 08:39 AM)Lumiere Wrote:  

Get a private one-on-one teacher. It's better.

Great advice.

She might be beautiful as well.

- MPM
The Guide to Getting More out of Life
http://www.thegmanifesto.com

Medellin spanish school

Roosh,
Any comments from you or your friend on UPB or EAFIT? Are they located near decent
areas to stay?

Medellin spanish school

EAFIT people stay in Poblado generally
UPB is closer to Laurels and Belen, quieter with less nightlife options

All areas are very livable. I suggest you come here and check them out before deciding on a school

Medellin spanish school

How was it finding housing? What's the price range for a room/apartment?

Medellin spanish school

EAFIT today costs 796,000 COP (~$440) + US$50 registration for a 38 hour class. Seems kind of complicated to sign up, though because you need proof of health insurance and a student visa from Colombia. Apparently there's a 2-week turnaround on getting the visa and I believe the woman I spoke to said it costs 200,000 COP to hire a travel agency to get your student visa for you. And to get your student visa, you first need a certificate of registration from the class to show that you paid and for what dates the course runs.

I'd like to do a group course, but this seems way complicated and the total cost works out to like $15+/hr. I'm reluctant to sign up for a class that extends beyond my lease term because I'll probably move out of Poblado once my month is up in the apartment I'm renting.

If anyone has contacts for a private tutor in Medellin, please post or PM me.

Medellin spanish school

Quote: (05-23-2011 06:09 PM)Arobin Wrote:  

If anyone has contacts for a private tutor in Medellin, please post or PM me.

Go to Yadi at Black Sheep Hostel. 20.000 pesos per hour and she is awesome. She'll go to the EAFIT library if you wish to have the lesson at the University, or you can do it at the hostel. Or anywhere around there really. She is a high quality tutor.

Also: The fruit salads in Oviedo are awesome.

Medellin spanish school

Quote: (05-23-2011 11:37 PM)ForbiddenDonut Wrote:  

Go to Yadi at Black Sheep Hostel. 20.000 pesos per hour and she is awesome. She'll go to the EAFIT library if you wish to have the lesson at the University, or you can do it at the hostel. Or anywhere around there really. She is a high quality tutor.

Also: The fruit salads in Oviedo are awesome.

Cool, thanks. Just sent Black Sheep an e-mail. It'd be awesome if she'll show up to my apartment.

Medellin spanish school

Quote: (08-08-2009 11:36 AM)Roosh Wrote:  

The biggest universities offer group classes.

The most popular is E.A.F.I.T.: http://www.eafit.edu.co/EafitCn/Idiomas/...dellin.htm

There's also U.P.B.: http://convena.upb.edu.co/cdelenguas/ele.html

I took a class at UPB and my friend at EAFIT. The quality will depend on your instructor more than anything, as the programs are similar.

40 hours of instruction will run you about $250 if I remember correctly.

I went to visit UPB once, and when I went to a class to check out some local talent, the teacher was the hottest female of the entire class. Not only was she incredibly FINE AS FUCK, but she had the tightest pair of skin-tight pants a woman can put on...her pants were so tight, she had a severe case of camel-toe, which had me harder than a rock the entire class!!

Funny how women with Camel-toe is sooo normal in Colombia, that local men have become desensitized to it in Colombia, every guy I observed there was not even paying any mind to the teachers incredible camel-toe.

Then, she would sit on top of her desk, and ooooooh myyyy GGGGGG!!! What a body!!

Mixx

Medellin spanish school

I've started taking classes with Yadi from Black Sheep Hostel and I'll second the recommendation. She's a great teacher, speaks English better than any tutor I've had in South America, and she's pretty funny. My only complaint is that in arranging the classes, she was kind of slow to respond to e-mails. The rate she quoted me is COP 22,500 / hr.

In one of our classes, she said, "You know there's a book called like How to Get Laid in Medellin? One of my students told me about it! It's published in English." I'm guessing she was referring to Bang Colombia.

Medellin spanish school

I studied with Ruben Orozco (medellinspanish.com). He's a wonderful Spanish teacher. He's located in Laureles, near UPB. Cheers.

Medellin spanish school

This is Ruben Orozco´s website, if the OP is still interested in Spanish classes.

Medellin spanish school

Hey guys, I own three recommended books: Madrigal's Magical Key to Spanish, Practice Makes Perfect Complete Spanish Grammer and Practice Makes Perfect Spanish Verb Tenses. I've done Madrigal cover to cover and haven't started the other two yet. I leave for Medellin in a few days.

Would it be worth it to take these books to Colombia with me? Are they used by Spanish teachers down there, or would I need to buy different books after I arrive? I plan to use private tutors rather than university classes on this trip, and I'm interested in lessons at the Black Sheep and maybe with Ruben as well. I'm planning to stay in Medellin for six weeks then maybe 10 days in Bogota. Thank you.

Medellin spanish school

Quote: (06-29-2015 07:10 AM)Early Retiree Wrote:  

Hey guys, I own three of Roosh's recommended books: Madrigal's Magical Key to Spanish, Practice Makes Perfect Complete Spanish Grammer and Practice Makes Perfect Spanish Verb Tenses. I've done Madrigal cover to cover and haven't started the other two yet. I leave for Medellin in a few days.

Would it be worth it to take these books to Colombia with me? Are they used by Spanish teachers down there, or would I need to buy different books after I arrive? I plan to use private tutors rather than university classes on this trip, and I'm interested in lessons at the Black Sheep and maybe with Ruben as well. I'm planning to stay in Medellin for six weeks then maybe 10 days in Bogota. Thank you.

The school I studied at in Bogota had their own books, my private teacher in Cali used the second book you listed, its pretty good. Just ask the tutor which book he uses and see if you can get a copy in the US before you leave, if not, you can do what I did, take the teacher's books to a local internet tienda where they have printers/scanner and someone there will photocopy the entire book, hole punch it and bind it for you, the cost shouldn't be more than $15-20 per book.

Medellin spanish school

Quote: (06-29-2015 07:10 AM)Early Retiree Wrote:  

Hey guys, I own three of Roosh's recommended books: Madrigal's Magical Key to Spanish, Practice Makes Perfect Complete Spanish Grammer and Practice Makes Perfect Spanish Verb Tenses. I've done Madrigal cover to cover and haven't started the other two yet. I leave for Medellin in a few days.

You familiar with Pimsleur? I used that audio course to bring myself to conversational level.

Medellin spanish school

Quote: (06-29-2015 01:02 PM)scotian Wrote:  

The school I studied at in Bogota had their own books, my private teacher in Cali used the second book you listed, its pretty good. Just ask the tutor which book he uses and see if you can get a copy in the US before you leave, if not, you can do what I did, take the teacher's books to a local internet tienda where they have printers/scanner and someone there will photocopy the entire book, hole punch it and bind it for you, the cost shouldn't be more than $15-20 per book.

Cool, thank you for the tip.

Medellin spanish school

Quote: (06-29-2015 01:35 PM)Nascimento Wrote:  

You familiar with Pimsleur? I used that audio course to bring myself to conversational level.

Yes, I did the Pimsleur series last year before a trip to Costa Rica. It was a short vacation and a lot of people in the tourist areas there speak English, so I didn't use much Spanish.

I think I need to plop myself down somewhere where no one speaks English and I have to learn Spanish. This is one reason why I chose Medellin and to stay for several weeks.

Medellin spanish school

The way I learned Spanish was very different than most people as I can never stay put in a classroom.

1. Switch all music to Spanish
-You go into my ipod all you will see is reggeaton, salsa, merengue and other Spanish music

2. Watch Spanish Soap Operas. Even if you don't understand them keep watching them until it sinks into your brain. Watch the ones about Narcos and hot chicks to make it go by easier. A lot of good slang and get to hear how people actually talk.
-El Cartel de Los Sapos
-Munecas de La Mafia
-El Senor de los Cielos
-Tiro de Gracia(watching this now)

3. Volunteer in a school program or something with kids. I advise againest teaching English as its going to be a jungle.

-When I was in Colombia I joined this volunteer program to help a school in Soacha (super poor) and helped rebuild a playground, renovate classrooms and just play with the kids for around 30-60 mins at lunchtime.

The kids loved asking questions and practicing there English where I learned Spanish in return and got a very good inside scoop in Colombian culture. Note: If you do this try not to hang around the other volunteers too much, those guys/gals are jokers/squares and you won't learn much at least with the group I had.

As for grammar and reading....I totally suck but I do text pretty well in Spanish for dating apps and what not

I

Medellin spanish school

I can vouch for what donnie said. He recommended the soap operas to me and going through one season I noticed a big difference.. You pick up on the little bits of slang and you notice yourself saying things you didn't know you knew.

Medellin spanish school

If anyone knows if it is possible to get copies, this was the best Colombian telenovela of all times.

[Image: attachment.jpg26980]   

Rico... Sauve....

Medellin spanish school

I do Spanish classes.. 25mil/hour.. live near the UPB/Laureles area [Image: wink.gif] PM for more info

Medellin spanish school

Quote: (07-02-2015 01:37 AM)Sherman Wrote:  

If anyone knows if it is possible to get copies, this was the best Colombian telenovela of all times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqdltnuk...BDD5556755

Personally I prefer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQtZaGh2fY4