rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Wardrobe advice

Wardrobe advice

Okay, so having now lost about 25 pounds (now solidly under 170!) and gained a fair amount of muscle mass since the last time I bought clothes, I'm long overdue to upgrade my wardrobe. I mean, let's get real, I look like a moron wearing an XL tshirt now, and half my jeans/shorts are in the "about to fall off" category. Looking for pointers on what to get.

I've historically been just plain old "fashion clueless", but in general, if I have a style, it's "clean cut all-American Midwestern guy". But, honestly, whatever works -- I don't care. Though, I'd prefer to stay away from "flavor of the week" stuff that might be uncool next year.

I'm not quite at a "screw it, let's just show off my hot 6-pack and big chest" build just yet. Maybe some day.

I know Roosh says in his book that he likes "funny" tshirts that grab attention. What sort of funny are we talking here? I mean, I have a friend who has this tshirt (or a similar one): http://www.collegegear.com/sf/stores/185...4526.shtml Or another one implying that a woman's proper position is on her knees in front of you. On the other hand I have some like "Hippies Smell" and (with a picture of Stewie Griffin from Family Guy) "When the world is mine, your death shall be quick and painless." In general I get the idea that these kinds of shirts appeal more to guys than to women, and don't tend to wear them going out. Am I wrong?

That generally tends to leave me as the "stereotypical guy wearing a striped button-down shirt" that some of y'all love to make fun of. Is that really such a bad thing?

Wardrobe advice

I love this topic. I'm generally a flashy dresser with a wardrobe filled with Kenneth Cole and "7" jeans. However, I also have Ecko gear and an array of t-shirts so it's somewhat eclectic. It's not so much about what you wear but how you wear it. And in addition to that it's presentable.

The button down shirt is fine, but don't tuck it into your pants. Perhaps even wear a t-shirt under it or possibly a mock turtle neck during the fall and winter months. Even if you don't, give off the illusion that you have some sense of style and comfortable with what you're wearing. T-shirts are great too so long as they're stain free and in decent shape. I generally tend to stay away from printed tees that are too controversial. I wouldn't walk around wearing a tee that says "Abortion is good" unless there was some joke to it like if there was a photo of George W. underneath it.

You can never really go wrong with jeans and a t-shirt and stray away from the clean cut look. You can still be clean cut, but you also want to look comfortable, casual, and relaxed. Just don't let your heans hang down by your knees, unless if you're looking for a very specific type of woman to attract. I would also suggest taking a look at your hair as well. Do you look like Tofer from 'That 70's Show'? If you do you might want to change it up a bit.

Once you've decided on your ensemble walk up to a girl and ask her "What do you think about this. Does it show my ass off too much?"

Women love to comment on the clothes and how a guy looks in them. If you have good physical assets don't be afraid to showcase them because women like to watch just as much as men. Just don't go overboard strutting around town in a beefcake t-shirt.

Wardrobe advice

1) For the cut guys, this look is very popular

http://content.nordstrom.com/ImageGaller...607440.jpg

Screen T-Shirt + some Japanese Denim.

2) The typical hipster t-shirt with funny/ironic slogan or old band like Journey - extra points if it's vintage/thrift

http://friendofbillw.com/ebay7/f070859.jpg

3) Western

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj189...Medium.jpg

4) The typical club shirt - English Laundry for ex.

http://stores.moduscouture.com/-strse-13...Detail.bok

Wardrobe advice

Nice selection. #4 is more my style when I'm going out and looks good.

Wardrobe advice

Quote: (09-04-2008 10:32 AM)Trotter Wrote:  

Nice selection. #4 is more my style when I'm going out and looks good.

I keep wanting to pull the trigger on it, but if I spend that much on a shirt, it's for my professional wardrobe.

Wardrobe advice

I always looked at it as an investment into myself when I was working on picking up girls. You should always have one nice set for rare occassions and it's something that you could wear for a couple of years perhaps.

Wardrobe advice

Quote: (09-04-2008 10:48 AM)Trotter Wrote:  

I always looked at it as an investment into myself when I was working on picking up girls. You should always have one nice set for rare occassions and it's something that you could wear for a couple of years perhaps.

Ahh, the "clothing as investment" argument. Works when i'm looking @ a suit. I've bought dress shirts for tha tmuch, but I don't like to think of young ladies as clients..(although the idea of screwing a chick out of her money does have lot of appeal, lol)

Wardrobe advice

Meh, it is what it is. Be prepared is what I say.

Wardrobe advice

I'm approaching 30 now so the funny t-shirts doesn't match as well.

For your look, try plaid. It's really hard to go wrong with a any type of shirt, dark jeans, and black casual shoes (puma, adidas, gola, etc.)

Wardrobe advice

Zorgon,

Go to Nordstroms, find the cutest, most stylish salesgirl in the men's department and ask her to pick out a couple outfits for you.

Wardrobe advice

Quote: (09-04-2008 06:25 PM)Bernie Wrote:  

Zorgon,

Go to Nordstroms, find the cutest, most stylish salesgirl in the men's department and ask her to pick out a couple outfits for you.

That's giving them back the power!

Learn to shop for yourself!

Wardrobe advice

Go to express. Buy a nice, inexpensive pair of jeans, a couple cool t-shirts, and then get shoes from zappos.com.

Focus on key pieces, not outfits that you only wear once a week. You only need one pair of jeans, then get the t-shirts, and one pair of shoes. No one cares if you wear the same shoes and jeans.

Wardrobe advice

A good salesperson would do all that for him Roosh.

And broken, getting help is not a cop out. It's how he can avoid making purchasing mistakes while he's learning to shop for himself. You sound almost paranoid.

Wardrobe advice

Go check out http://www.styleforum.net

There is more info on Style forum than you could ever possibly need about clothing and dressing well. I have been reading it for a long time and it is a quality online community.

Wardrobe advice

All my fashion advice has come from women I know. They know what they like.

its something they are good at. One area where you should listen IMHO [Image: idea.gif]

"For the true meaning of victory ask the defeated warrior"

Wardrobe advice

Thanks guys, I think I have some material to work with here.

I think there is definitely something to be said for getting a salesperson to help out in my case. Certainly, the last people I need to be getting advice from are my dorky friends. [Image: smile.gif]

Wardrobe advice

Skip Express and goto H&M and Zara instead.

Express is played out and shows you have no taste.

Wardrobe advice

Quote: (09-11-2008 06:10 AM)spaceman Wrote:  

Skip Express and goto H&M and Zara instead.

Express is played out and shows you have no taste.

All of those mall stores Banana, Abercrombie, The Buckle, H&M, Zara, Express for Men (remember when it was structure) show you have no "taste".

Taste is something you develop. If you know what you're doing, you can make Wal-Mart, Kohl's, and JC Penny, and Target work for you.

But if you need someone to think for you, I mean if he's in the DMV, he should go to the Denim Bar, or at least the men's section @ Nordstrom's.

Wardrobe advice

broken [Image: lol.gif]

I agree with you but until he finds his style it won't hurt to go with something "mainstream" so at least his wardrobe doesn't rule him out off the bat with girls he approaches. my favorite shirt i bought on sale from jc penny. [Image: banana.gif]

Wardrobe advice

H&M and Zara have very fashion forward styles/cuts that you can get at nordstrom/barneys etc for much cheaper prices.
In DC, if you want to drop cash on good shit, goto the denim bar, Barneys Co-Op, Filenes basement, Nordstrom rack, or nordstrom, Urban outfitters is cool but overpriced,
stussy, and commonwealth (if your into the hipster/skater scene)

i can go on and on. but to start h&M and zara are my best bets.

the real key is: developing your personal style is key but until then copy someone else who looks good. or buy a bunch of shit and try it all out till you find what fits you.
me personally, i like a t shirt with a cool/unique/stand out design and a park of dark slim/skinny jeans with some chucks/vans. but thats me, i grew out of the super dressy phase.
clothes dont mean shit anyways, if you look presentable, your gonna get chicks. or if you have a style and are confident in it. thats all that matters. fuck what anyone else thinks.

Wardrobe advice

That comment about Nordstroms reminds me of an old story. Years ago I decided I needed some new duds when I was serious about developing game. I was a complete mess I walked into Nord wearing ripped up, baggy, jeans, speckled with stains of all types; a pair of shoes that were so tattered and worn that the seams were letting loose and it looked like I was sporting a pair of footballs on my feet; and a shirt that well... it wasn't good.

I'm walking around Nords looking at stuff. I'm not looking for anything extravagant. However, none of the sales guys would help me they were peering at me from half way across the store as if I'm about to rob the place. Okay, so I do have to give them that I looked like a bumb and possibly someone interested in shop lifting. But it peeved me so I decided to sort of take advantage of the situation.

I walk up into the face of one of the guys and he's looking a little weird. He's probably thinking I'm about to do something weird, but I just tell him I need help finding a few things. So he helps me pick out some shirts and pants and I go to the dressing room. Of course, they're keeping an eagle eye on me while I'm in there. So this guy that's helping me find stuff I send him on this wild goose chase just looking for all kinds of stuff. I had the guy running around the store bringing me shirts upon shirts, and pants upon pants, until the poor guy looked like he was about to drop dead from exhaustion. I think I might have taken up about 2 hours of the guy's time.

I would tell him to fetch me like a certain type of pants and just tell him to put it back by just inspecting it. Anyhow, I figured I tortured the guy enough and finished up my shopping. Now I'm not a complete ass and I do accept that I didn't exactly look like the model customer, so I ended up purchasing about $800 worth of stuff. And wouldn't you know when he's ringing this stuff up he's finally calling me "sir" and offering his personal services. He even gives me one of his cards and tells me to call him if I'm ever going to need anything else from Nord. I just hope to God he wasn't gay.

Wardrobe advice

From a woman.... I'm 49. So this is from a woman's point of view at 49. When I was younger, I like the suit kinda man.... I also like some facial hair; a mustache and/or close shaven beard. Hair; medium in length. Crew cuts and bald are ok on some men. I like a man in either dockers or nice fitting blue jeans. No sneakers; shoes or nice boots.... To date a man; I don't like men with t-shirts; that's NOT a turn-on for a woman dating; after it gets more personal, yes. I would suggest, seeing it's getting cool out; a nice long sleeved polo shirt.... TRY THIS.... http://www.macys.com/catalog/product/ind...tUxdGQ.... I would also invest in a leather jacket. Leather can be dressed up or dressed down and fits any occasion. DEFINITELY INVEST IN A LEATHER JACKET. If you're feeling extra "spendy".... A nice gold chain always looks sexy on a man....

Wardrobe advice

H&M clothes lasts a year for me and then it literally falls apart

Wardrobe advice

omg is this happening...men discussing fashion.

Wardrobe advice

Get some nice jeans. Nice shoes. regular tops. Nothing too crazy. Stay away from glitter, pink, strips, sleeveless, or tops too short.

Smell nice. Don't gel your hair.

Don't shape your eyebrows. No beards, no mustache.

Depends what you want to attract though...