rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Death

After watching Enter The Void, I started thinking about what happens when its your time. I looked up some theories, took a few trips to the library going through books and had a nice conversation with a good associate over a fat joint.

I've never been a religious person so I don't know if I believe that there's a heaven and hell. Maybe there is. Maybe our life is one long dream and we wake up to something else when we die...or maybe it ends up like a never ending dream once your heart stops. I just think its interesting to think about this shit. Some people even believe psychadelics were put on Earth to help us get closer to someone or something else. Sounds stupid but if you've ever tripped, it doesn't sound to crazy. What do y'all think happens when your life stops?

Death

Quote: (12-14-2011 04:33 PM)houston Wrote:  

After watching Enter The Void, I started thinking about what happens when its your time. I looked up some theories, took a few trips to the library going through books and had a nice conversation with a good associate over a fat joint.

I've never been a religious person so I don't know if I believe that there's a heaven and hell. Maybe there is. Maybe our life is one long dream and we wake up to something else when we die...or maybe it ends up like a never ending dream once your heart stops. I just think its interesting to think about this shit. Some people even believe psychadelics were put on Earth to help us get closer to someone or something else. Sounds stupid but if you've ever tripped, it doesn't sound to crazy. What do y'all think happens when your life stops?

I worked as an EMT for almost a year in 2002, and I saw a lot of people die, in some pretty horrible ways.
You die, and then there's nothing. You go into shock, blood pressure drops, your breathing becomes faster and your heart beats more rapidly to try and compensate...once this no longer works, you are in decompensating shock, and your time is close. Then you shit yourself, and your muscles and body tissues rapidly begin to degrade.

An infinite amount of time passed before your birth and you did not perceive it, an infinite amount will pass after your death and you will not perceive it.

We are apes with big brains. None of this matters. Accept it, move on, live without fear.

Go forth and spread your seed into comely young lasses in all the lands of the earth.

Death

You wake up.

DUN DUN DUN

I HOPE there's something else, it'd be kind of a bummer if thats just it. I do admit, even though I've coped with the inevitability the fact will hit me every few months, usually late at night, that eventually this will all be over and it freaks me out.

Chef In Jeans
A culinary website for men

Death

Quote: (12-14-2011 04:52 PM)Chad Daring Wrote:  

You wake up.

DUN DUN DUN

I HOPE there's something else, it'd be kind of a bummer if thats just it. I do admit, even though I've coped with the inevitability the fact will hit me every few months, usually late at night, that eventually this will all be over and it freaks me out.

It freaks everyone out. Especially when your life is so fucking cool!!

I feel sorry for A-list celebs, I mean to think that one day all the pussy, money, fame and attention will be gone! That sucks!

If you live in poverty, and struggling your whole life without a right arm, or deformed face with a casual fuck from a below average crackhead girl..then death does not seem that scary I would think.

Mixx

Death

If there is a hell, I feel sorry for the peeps that end up there. I dont think there is anything remotely close to matching it in prolong suffering ect.

Death

Countless people that have been clinically dead, but brought back talk about "the light" and following it, looking down on their own bodies and even seeing and talking to relatives that had died years before. I'm not religious either, but you have to wonder what happens to us after we die because so many people talk about the same post-death experiences.

"The best kind of pride is that which compels a man to do his best when no one is watching."

Death

I don't think anything happens. The delicate bio-electrical dance that represents our brain stops dead in its tracks, misfires a bit randomly and then is still forever. We don't feel ourselves or anything anymore, and that's it. You're not going to be trapped in some void for a million years, you simply cease to exist or think.

I would really love for any vision of the afterlife to be true. I'm sure God (if it existed) would recognize that, despite not being a believer, I was a good person and lived my life kindly. But I don't count on that. It would be like a bonus life in a videogame, great but you can't count on it ever.

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

Death

How was the movie? I heard it did a good job of capturing the debauchery of Tokyo's Kabuki-cho.

Death

Quote: (12-14-2011 05:27 PM)Timoteo Wrote:  

Countless people that have been clinically dead, but brought back talk about "the light" and following it, looking down on their own bodies and even seeing and talking to relatives that had died years before. I'm not religious either, but you have to wonder what happens to us after we die because so many people talk about the same post-death experiences.

they were not dead.

you dont die instantly once your heart stops.

Death

Quote: (12-14-2011 05:31 PM)Dash Global Wrote:  

they were not dead.

you dont die instantly once your heart stops.

Understood - the brain is still functioning even after you've flat-lined. That still doesn't explain the similar experiences. Perhaps something that is somehow programmed into the human brain?

"The best kind of pride is that which compels a man to do his best when no one is watching."

Death

Oblivion. The brain is the seat of consciousness so I find it hard to believe that our mental life can continue once it ceases functioning. An afterlife would be nice, but what we'd like to be true and what is true are often two different things.

Death

I am a believer in a higher power and the significance of human existence (and perhaps that of other creatures as well).

If some form of afterlife does exist, humans will not be able to of conceive of it. This is not something that humanity will ever be able to logically explain, break down and prepare for. That, I believe, is by design.

Know your enemy and know yourself, find naught in fear for 100 battles. Know yourself but not your enemy, find level of loss and victory. Know thy enemy but not yourself, wallow in defeat every time.

Death

Scientists believe that that is due to the lack of oxygen in the brain, which makes people see 'the light' and then the rest are so called near death experiences where people's lives flash before them (so they say).

Death

I had a spiritual epiphany on life and death after hearing from Bill Hicks on this video:

Death

I actually think about death a lot. More than a young person should be. Every day that goes by I think about how precious time is and how limited it is. One day I'm going to see my final sunset, eat my last meal, there will be a last conversation with my parents at some point. Life whizzes by, and it seems to accelerate every year. I'm reminded every time I look in the mirror and see a new grey hair popping up. The cosmos is 14 billion years yet most of us will only see 75 years of it. By cosmic standards, our lives flash by in a nanosecond. It's really sobering. It's hard to walk around with a big ego when you realize just how insignificant you are in the grand scheme of things. Death is the ultimate equalizer.

I'm totally agnostic about whether something comes after death. Since all I know is existence and consciousness, it's hard to imagine what it's like to not exist. Just as I can't envision any consciousness prior to 3 years old, I can't imagine past death. It's just like falling into a black hole of non-existence and it boggles the mind the more you think about it. That's when it becomes scary. On the other hand, I've heard so many accounts of near-death experiences where someone reported floating above their body looking down at the scene in the emergency room. Some people have even described in detail things going on in the room that there was no way they could've known about since they were unconscious, so that gives me hope that consciousness can exist outside of the physical body. People have also reported seeing apparitions for nearly as long as humanity itself, so if even one of these people were telling the truth, then there is something after death. But until I see something paranormal myself to confirm it, I can't believe it 100%, thus I remain agnostic.

Death

"There is no death. Only a change of worlds.” - Chief Seattle [Seatlh], Suquamish Chief

There is this idea in spirituality that life is only "life" because out of habit and tradition we label it as such, and that the opposition between life and death is in fact illusory, a trick of our minds created by a forgetfulness/"unconsciousness" of our "true" condition, where life and death are just two poles, two sides of a same coin, a same continumm, the same immortal consciousness that is behind the phenomenal world.

Spiritual practice, in that sense, would be a means to directly experience, and live with the constant experience, of this immortal reality that underlies everything.

I like that.

Death

Do any of you guys believe that babies know the difference between right and wrong, ? Is it instinct,(hardwired) or, learned behavior? If so,what is the purpose of reasoning at such an age ? I only ask this because there would be no reason to have this capability if there are no consequences, at some point.

Death

I basically just don't worry about it. I don't know what happens, I can't know what happens, I'll find out when I do, and until then I've got more than enough trouble making this life as good as possible to worry about what happens afterwards.

Death

Quote: (12-14-2011 05:30 PM)Lemmo Wrote:  

How was the movie? I heard it did a good job of capturing the debauchery of Tokyo's Kabuki-cho.
I liked it. It stretches out at the end but it's good.

This book looks interesting. Anyone ever researched reincarnation?
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0...eathcom-20

Death

Quote: (12-15-2011 10:08 PM)houston Wrote:  

Quote: (12-14-2011 05:30 PM)Lemmo Wrote:  

I liked it. It stretches out at the end but it's good.

This book looks interesting. Anyone ever researched reincarnation?
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0...eathcom-20

I've read this work and others like it and have, based on the evidence, come to believe that reincarnation is probable.

In a way it's depressing that though his work is amazing Ian Stevenson's project will never gain any kind of traction. Reincarnation is not the kind of afterlife people in America or Europe are looking for.

Death

Dluhzin - yeah man its crazy. I want to get some books on reincarnation now. There's a bunch listed on that amazon link. Do you have any other recommendations?

Death

Right now is "your time." We are all on death's bed in a way. A lot of people would like to pretend that we aren't. Life is short. What happens after is not relevant. It's like the really high keys on the piano that you can't even hear.

To me, real death is not when your heart stops and your body starts to decompose. Real death is the absence of meaning. This is worse than death, because to experience the absence of meaning is infinitely more painful.

Living a meaningful life is the best you can do. It is the opposite of death. What is important to you?

My dick tells me what to do most of the time.

Death

Countless people that have been clinically dead, but brought back talk about "the light" and following it

Get someone to choke you out. Seriously.

That is exactly what it looks/feel like. Your field of vision gets narrower and narrower until you are blacked out. Looks kinda like a street of light, easy to be misinterpreted by a religious person.

Death

Religion has always been glorified human ignorance. Before the last 2000 years when science started to get a grip on why everything happened there was a "god" for every phenomenon. "Why" and "Death" are the only two great mysteries left, we cant explain them, yet, so we for now we still have the idea of God.

Chef In Jeans
A culinary website for men

Death

Quote: (12-17-2011 04:55 PM)houston Wrote:  

Dluhzin - yeah man its crazy. I want to get some books on reincarnation now. There's a bunch listed on that amazon link. Do you have any other recommendations?

I haven't looked much into it, but Ian Stevenson and his heir Jim Tucker are the only ones I trusted to be meticulous and thorough enough to be credible. I haven't looked into other paranormal researchers who are, perhaps, driven more by their desire to be hippie fame-whores than the aforementioned two, who are simply following up on the leads without much of an agenda, or much reward for that matter.

I can recommend Twenty Cases and Life Before Life. Stevenson has a bunch of others but they tend to be rather rare and expensive. A good, brief introductory interview with Jim Tucker can be seen here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLKT5UsKoqM