rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Film Review: "A Star is Born"

This review is a bit late-coming but having had low expectations for top contenders at the Oscars, I can tell you that this film is worthy of a look. I have not watched other prime candidates this season, but damn, does this film have me happy about the fact that Hollywood can still make good films.

I have not kept up with the output in Hollywood recently. Hollywood still does a fantastic job telling good stories if you just look just a bit harder than the average person. I'm not even aware of all the films that were contenders this year for awards. That said, I think "A Star is Born" is a fantastic film and worthy of you spending 2 hours of your time watching it, rather than say, turning on Netflix and watching a binge-worthy TV show. Highlights: first film directed by Bradley Cooper (think he did a fantastic job, and I would have never guessed he directed, he did top-notch work), Lady Gaga again demonstrates her acting chops (although this is the first role I've seen her acting in anything), stunning cinematography which was unexpected, and a plot that is unflinchingly honest about the struggles of fame in the entertainment industry (namely, the issue of "selling out", authenticity, and drugs and alcohol). I had no clue about the story arc (never bothered to watch a trailer) this film was going to take, but I say, "wow". A bit dark, but props to Cooper et al for such an honest film. And surprisingly a remake-- which was well-done unlike many others in Hollywood.

Let's start with the elephant in the room: Lady Gaga is acting. Again. She was perfect for this role, even though you wouldn’t think she had any business being in a serious Hollywood film. Although Cooper plays an alcoholic country/ roots icon (I picture some mix of Willie Nelson, Tom Waits, Jimmy Buffett, and maybe Randy Travis), Gaga is able to connect with him even though they have massive differences. Other reviews have mentioned their chemistry, and I have to agree with them. Cooper and Gaga make a perfect duo, despite their obvious differences. On screen, they are the perfect match for characters that have come from such different places. In the film, they couldn't be more different: alcoholic country super-star, and urban muse who sings Edith Piaf at the drag-bar while holding down a waiter job in LA. I'm shaking my head saying, "how the hell did they make this work?" But they did, somehow.

The scenes depicting drug abuse, that are so prevalent in the music industry, had me holding my breath. They are on point. The alcohol to numb the pain, and the cocaine to wake you up from the inevitable downer track that you are on—some weed thrown in to calm you down after the coke. They reflect so much of what I’ve seen in the industry. It’s worthy of pity, it really is, but this is how the industry functions. I cannot count the number of times I’ve seen musicians pull out cocaine to level themselves out… I am reminded of my time spent partying with musicians, with incredible impromptu shows performed on a whim, despite the fact they are high as hell on your choice of substances.

I want to dispense from a plot summary, but I will give a brief one: washed-out, but nonetheless famous country star meets a promising singer in a dive bar, who he has a crush on, and proceeds to take her on the ride of her life. They get married, and maybe, maybe, this is celebrity game in action.

Speaking of celebrities, Dave Chappelle takes a supporting role in the film. First, I say, “is this a gimmick?” But Dave is actually given a role that is natural for him. So, both him, and Gaga, are unexpected in the film, but deliver in terms of performances.

The only way I would consider watching this movie is when it’s on hbo that I already pay for. Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga are such leftist, SJWs I won’t “pay” beyond my current cable package to watch it. Even then, I still probably won’t see it. The only way to kill the Hollywood beast is to starve it of money.

Quote: (03-10-2019 03:02 AM)porscheguy Wrote:  

The only way I would consider watching this movie is when it’s on hbo that I already pay for. Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga are such leftist, SJWs I won’t “pay” beyond my current cable package to watch it. Even then, I still probably won’t see it. The only way to kill the Hollywood beast is to starve it of money.

My policy is to watch for free. I pay an internet bill and don't pay for tv or any service. Don't go to theaters unless it's unmissable. The last film I paid for was the New Blade Runner in Theaters in Romania. It was worth it for the 3d. That was like almost two years ago.

I don't play their game. I've never paid for cable, netflix or any of those services. I manage about one film a year in theaters and that's it.

Why do you pay for TV though? I've given Hollywood and media the equivalent of about 5 dollars or so in total in the past two years. And all things considered it was worth it. Sure, they're degenerates. But you should probably get rid of HBO man-- that's next level Illuminati shit.

It is a good movie. It is a well made movie.
That said, it is just a very modern take on a standard romance story.

A bit too modern in some ways actually. Did Bradley Cooper really need to include some Tranny's in the first act?
Or was that part of some quota / SJW checklist type thing?

Anyway.
I'm simply disappointed Bradley Cooper didn't replicate the big award ceremony scene from the film at this years Oscars... [Image: Upside-smile.png]

I hate that I really like the song, but both people who performed probably hate me and everything I stand for.

G

Quote: (03-10-2019 03:31 AM)CynicalContrarian Wrote:  

It is a good movie. It is a well made movie.
That said, it is just a very modern take on a standard romance story.

A bit too modern in some ways actually. Did Bradley Cooper really need to include some Tranny's in the first act?
Or was that part of some quota / SJW checklist type thing?

Anyway.
I'm simply disappointed Bradley Cooper didn't replicate the big award ceremony scene from the film at this years Oscars... [Image: Upside-smile.png]

Yes, I didn't mention that, but a part of the diversity quota I guess.

Isn’t this a remake?

Of a remake?

Of a 1937 movie?

“As long as you are going to be thinking anyway, think big.” - Donald J. Trump

"I don't get all the women I want, I get all the women who want me." - David Lee Roth

I'd rather have a hot needle shoved up my dick than watch this BS

And the predictability of peeps jerking off furiously over Gaga's acting performance "OMG she should win the Oscar !!!"
fuck.....

Quote: (03-10-2019 07:37 AM)hedonist Wrote:  

I'd rather have a hot needle shoved up my dick than watch this BS

And the predictability of peeps jerking off furiously over Gaga's acting performance "OMG she should win the Oscar !!!"
fuck.....

I saved you the trouble of watching it.

Never said she deserved an Oscar.

Do you see lady Gaza's tits in this film?

Aloha!

Quote: (03-10-2019 03:46 PM)Kona Wrote:  

Do you see lady Gaza's tits in this film?

Yes. It's a very 1970s art-house cinema sort of treatment of sexuality/nudity though, meaning not that hot.

What's really missing from this review is any sort of red-pill analysis.

What I noticed the most from this movie is the power differential of Cooper's character acting as a svengali/mentor and how this flies in the face of #MeToo. The initial proposition he gives her is for all intents and purposes a #MeToo moment. He has enormous leverage over her. It's just that the leverage is applied through the package of something more appealing than Harvey Weinstein. But the attraction she has to him is in some ways...mercenary. There's no getting around that the promise of him opening doors for her makes her want to open her legs. So is it really love or a business transaction? On the flipside, when she starts outshining him and he embarasses her, the degree to which she still tries to prop him up is unrealistic. Hypergamy would dictate she would kick him to the curb and monkeybranch to a new lover.

It was a good watch, if only for Bradley Cooper and some of the music. Supporting cast is great, Dave Chappelle, Sam Neil, Andrew Dice Clay, some others. Good stuff between him and his brother, well written.

Gaga is ugly as fuck and her character in this movie was pretty cunty at times. Sure, she can sing but damn.

Then of course at about 65% it becomes all about her descent into mediocre pop-stardom, and at the very end what a horribly sad victim she is.

I just watched this on a JetBlue flight. Props to Dice.

In terms of a red pill analysis, this movie fits right in with making the woman the hero and the masculine man the villain. In the end, Copper's character is a villain for committing a selfish and cowardly act. Woman = strong/overcomes obstacles
Alpha Male = Weak/Coward/Avoidance of adversity

I also though the crescendo of the movie and what happened at the grammys was a bit contrived and not realistic.

Plot Spoiler question:
I couldn't tell from all the times the movie was paused when the pilot spoke, but it appeared Cooper's character never disclosed his hearing problem to Gaga, and she was not aware of it. is that correct?? I though Gaga was better than Cooper in the movie.

It was a long movie. Kindof predictable. Gaga isn't very attractive. Was weird that Cooper went to rehab in the movie then decides that he can't continue with life any more. It would have been much more realistic if he got into a high speed car accident than premedidated death. First hour was good but then it becomes cliched.