rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Eulogy for Luke Perry

Eulogy for Luke Perry

First time caller, long time listener.

The actor Luke Perry has passed away at 52. By all accounts he was a good guy working in a vile place.

Even though I never knew him personally, I feel as if I did. Rather, his portrayal of Dylan McKay on the '90s teen series Beverly Hills 90210, showed me the kind of James Dean-esque type of game I wished all American "boys" to inherently have. His Dylan was so much of what I felt I was back at that time/age/place: broody, thoughtful, philosophical, laid back but with substance, a man of few but right kind of words. In the contemporary parlance, Dylan may have been the ultimate Sigma male. His reserved, mysterious "cool" was a chick-magnet. Especially apt for southern California. Dylan was necessary-edgy character in a saccharine-filled land. I know. Concurrently with the series original broadcasting, I have run the "Dylan game" on the southern California college campus with great success.

It's been said that with each death of the people we looked up in our past - a piece of that past goes out with them. With Luke's passing, a small, but formative piece of my youth has permanently broke off.

Thank you Luke.

Good bye Dylan.

Eulogy for Luke Perry

I knew him personally, but its been 8 years since I saw him last.

There was a time back in the early 2000's where he and a close friend of mine were constantly pranking each other. Some of the things they got up to were hilarious. I still have some of the relics of that time that I refuse to throw away because of the amazing stories behind them.

I heard he passed from a buddy who golfed a lot with him back in the day. Drank beers in dive bars and smoked that BC bud.

He was a great guy with a real sense of humor. He was man's man.

RIP Luke.

Eulogy for Luke Perry

It's unfortunate to hear of Luke Perry's passing too soon. RIP.

Quote:[url=https://twitter.com/iheartmindy/status/1102629485478723586][/url]

Eulogy for Luke Perry

Life is too short.

RIP Luke Perry.

Eulogy for Luke Perry

Did he have any existing medical condition like Diabetes that caused him to have the stroke? I find it difficult to believe that someone perfectly healthy and normal can just suddenly drop dead of a stroke.

Eulogy for Luke Perry

Quote: (03-04-2019 07:06 PM)Abelard Lindsey Wrote:  

Did he have any existing medical condition like Diabetes that caused him to have the stroke? I find it difficult to believe that someone perfectly healthy and normal can just suddenly drop dead of a stroke.

RIP Luke

He seemed a little frail and thin from the recent photos.
But I guess he was always thin in the 90210 days as well.
I do wonder if he was sufferring from anything else that might have weakened his body like pneumonia or flu.
They could have kept him alive longer on life support but it was probably not improving. I hope they were able to do a brain scan and figure out if there was alot of damage that was recoverable or if it was a heart issue.
I know with septsis it takes at least 5 days to see improvement.
Miracles can happen but I feel that doctors want to pull the plug to save money and tell the family that there is only a 1% chance of recovery.

I believe in Heaven and I know Luke is in a better place.
I don't see how anyone cannot believe in Heaven or the afterlife.
There is just too much evidence that there is a spiritual world out there.

Eulogy for Luke Perry

Apparently, he's been trying to stay healthy for the past few years, watching his diet, etc, and he's never had weight issues either:

Quote:Quote:

Luke Perry suffered a terrifying cancer scare four years ago which prompted him to toyally change his diet and embrace healthy living.

The Beverly Hills, 90210 actor passed away today at the age of 52 just days after suffering a massive stroke.

His shock death came four years after he was diagnosed with pre-cancerous growths following a routine colonoscopy.

Perry later thanked doctors for catching it in time, and he went on to became an advocate for early screening.

He also gave himself a health makeover, cutting out red meat and opting for much healthier meals.

In an interview with Fox News in 2017, he said: "I have significantly cut down on the amount of red meat I eat.

"I used to be a steak and potatoes kind of guy — now it’s just for special occasions.

"I eat a lot more fish, natural grains and fiber.”

I am seeing more of this happening these days, fairly healthy guys in their 40s and 50s coming down with strokes. I think there are some environmental factors and pollutants at play here that we just don't have a handle on...

“Nothing is more useful than to look upon the world as it really is.”

Eulogy for Luke Perry

Quote: (03-04-2019 07:51 PM)jcrew247 Wrote:  

A little? In the pic upthread he looks like he was rapidly transforming into Bryan Cranston. I think smoking is to blame.

Eulogy for Luke Perry

It's very easy for celebrities (or anyone) to have secret vices or habits (smoking, drugs, alcoholism, 4-a-day big mac addiction) and then say publicly that they're vegan/paleo/whatever. Then they die and we say "well I guess there's no point in being vegan/paleo/whatever". We just don't know the possible causes.

Dr Johnson rumbles with the RawGod. And lives to regret it.

Eulogy for Luke Perry

Funnily enough I read an interview with Jason priestly back in the 90's where he said "This is a crazy town. People will say, 'no.. no.. I can't eat that. Im on a strict macrobiotic diet and I'm teetotal. Oh yeah, Im still banging heroin.."

Bikram acknowledged that with his yoga school. Actors especially wanted something to detox their various (mainly drug) habits and still give them the illusion of health.

Don't know of the relevance for Luke Perry. I seriously disliked his character when I was a kid as he was always causing trouble for the nice female characters (in my beta view). Sign of a good actor.

RIP.

Eulogy for Luke Perry

If he was a cigarette smoker for any length of time, no surprise he had a stroke and precancerous growths. No amount of fish, grains, fiber and abandoning red meat will make up for a horrible habit like smoking.

Eulogy for Luke Perry

Quote: (03-04-2019 07:52 PM)911 Wrote:  

Apparently, he's been trying to stay healthy for the past few years, watching his diet, etc, and he's never had weight issues either:

Luke Perry suffered a terrifying cancer scare four years ago which prompted him to toyally change his diet and embrace healthy living.

The Beverly Hills, 90210 actor passed away today at the age of 52 just days after suffering a massive stroke.

His shock death came four years after he was diagnosed with pre-cancerous growths following a routine colonoscopy.

Perry later thanked doctors for catching it in time, and he went on to became an advocate for early screening.

He also gave himself a health makeover, cutting out red meat and opting for much healthier meals.

In an interview with Fox News in 2017, he said: "I have significantly cut down on the amount of red meat I eat.

"I used to be a steak and potatoes kind of guy — now it’s just for special occasions.

"I eat a lot more fish, natural grains and fiber.”

I am seeing more of this happening these days, fairly healthy guys in their 40s and 50s coming down with strokes. I think there are some environmental factors and pollutants at play here that we just don't have a handle on...

You're right about this. Strokes are occurring at much younger ages in my greater region. The regional ICU recently had two 20-something stroke victims in their ward at the same time and it left everyone scratching their heads. It's something people are starting to talk about seriously behind closed doors.

The public will judge a man by what he lifts, but those close to him will judge him by what he carries.

Eulogy for Luke Perry

I liked his performance on 90210, but never gave him much thought. Came across this article and wow he really touched a lot of lives. As an aside, Molly Ringwald may be pregnant.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article...e-man.html

[Image: 10567520-6770275-Onscreen_wife_Molly_pla...445172.jpg]

Eulogy for Luke Perry

Quote: (03-04-2019 09:10 PM)questor70 Wrote:  

Quote: (03-04-2019 07:51 PM)jcrew247 Wrote:  

A little? In the pic upthread he looks like he was rapidly transforming into Bryan Cranston. I think smoking is to blame.

His castmate Shannon Doherty was such a heavy smoker that an Entertainment Weekly article from about 1993 noted her habit was already discoloring her teeth and making them yellow. She was 22 then. In 2015, she was diagnosed with breast cancer.

Eulogy for Luke Perry

Most actors, musicians, models, etc are heavy smokers - former child actors have been that way since 12-14. That Harry Potter kid can barely make it through a 10 minute TV interview without smoking. Throw in an 80s-style coke binge to celebrate a 90210 reboot and you're asking for problems.

EDIT: I've noticed lately in interviews - Jeff Bridges, at only 69, gets out of breath just walking to the couch for an interview. He got winded standing up for 30 seconds.

Eulogy for Luke Perry

When I saw his recent photos, I almost didn't recognize him. He looked way older than 52.

Eulogy for Luke Perry

Quote: (03-04-2019 07:52 PM)911 Wrote:  

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/66/wr/mm6635e1.htm

[Image: mm6635e1f1.gif]

Quote: (03-05-2019 11:24 AM)Panther Wrote:  

When I saw his recent photos, I almost didn't recognize him. He looked way older than 52.

I thought the same thing.

“Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate.”

Eulogy for Luke Perry

Heavy, mortality rates from heart strokes are going down because angioplasty is now a common, relatively benign procedure (compared to open heart/bypass surgeries). However, stroke rates have been rising for young people, that much is undeniable.

In other words, heart disease among young people is rising, but mortality rates for older people have been declining.

Stroke rates have been declining in older people over the past 20 years — but have sharply increased in those under 55.

Researchers at Rutgers University used data from the New Jersey Department of Health on more than 227,000 hospitalizations for stroke from 1995 through 2014, calculating incidence by age over five-year periods. The findings appeared in the Journal of the American Heart Association.

Compared with the 1995-99 period, the rate of stroke in 2010-14 increased by 147 percent in people 35 to 39, by 101 percent in people 40 to 44, by 68 percent in those 45 to 49, and by 23 percent in the 50 to 54 group.

Stroke is still far more common in older people. But the rate decreased by 11 percent in those 55 to 59, by 22 percent in the 60 to 64 group, and by 18 percent in people 65 to 69. The reasons are unclear, but the lead author, Joel N. Swerdel, now an epidemiologist with Janssen Pharmaceuticals, said that increasing obesity and diabetes in younger people are probably involved.

“For a person 30 to 50, the good news is you ain’t dead yet,” he said. “With behavioral changes, changing diet, increasing exercise, there’s still hope for you. Behavioral change is hard, but this study is an early warning sign.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/29/well/...eople.html

Mary G. George, M.D., lead author of the JAMA Neurology study and senior medical officer and deputy associate director for science with the Division for Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said experts don’t understand why the increase is happening. The uptick is “really concerning” because up to 80 percent of strokes are preventable, she said.

The study did offer some possible clues. From 2004-2012, there was an increase in the number of people between 18 and 64 who were at high risk in three or more of five common stroke risk factors: high blood pressure, obesity, diabetes, high cholesterol and tobacco.

Carolyn Brockington, M.D., director of the Stroke Center at Mount Sinai, St. Luke’s & Mount Sinai West Hospital in New York City, notes hormones may lead to abnormal blood clotting in some women during pregnancy, after delivery, or in those taking hormone supplements, thus raising some women’s risk of stroke.

Still, a lot is not known when it comes to young people because much previous research concentrated on older people, said Ralph L. Sacco, M.D., professor and Olemberg Chair of Neurology at the Miller School of Medicine at the University of Miami in Florida.

“More focused research on the causes of this alarming rise in the rates of stroke in younger ages is greatly needed,” said Sacco, president of the American Academy of Neurology and a past president of the American Heart Association.

From anecdotal evidence, the younger people who got strokes weren't particularly fat or sedentary. I think there are some environmental factors that the medical establishment is slow to pick up on. Young people are smoking a whole lot less, and not necessarily eating worse than 10-20 years ago...

“Nothing is more useful than to look upon the world as it really is.”

Eulogy for Luke Perry

Wow. RIP.

Any medical guys that can offer and insight?

52 isn't old in this modern age. I keep thinking he may of had a underlying drug problem that weakened him as this seems very sudden and bizzare.

Eulogy for Luke Perry

Quote: (03-06-2019 12:43 AM)kosko Wrote:  

Wow. RIP.

52 isn't old in this modern age. I keep thinking he may of had a underlying drug problem that weakened him as this seems very sudden and bizzare.

Probably because he married that bitch Brenda. (j/k)

I hate to generalize, but drugs, cigarettes, alcohol, etc. are common in Hollywood.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if he lied about his age. I enjoyed his performance on 90210 but he never looked like he was in high school. Occassionly you hear about South American baseball players doing the same thing because they can achieve a professional advantage as rookies. A 20-year old prospect who hits 275 is a lot different than a 28 year journeyman who hits 275

Eulogy for Luke Perry

Quote: (03-06-2019 06:01 AM)Hypno Wrote:  

Wow. RIP.

I hate to generalize, but drugs, cigarettes, alcohol, etc. are common in Hollywood.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if he lied about his age. I enjoyed his performance on 90210 but he never looked like he was in high school. Occassionly you hear about South American baseball players doing the same thing because they can achieve a professional advantage as rookies. A 20-year old prospect who hits 275 is a lot different than a 28 year journeyman who hits 275

In regards to age this may be true. It is important to note that it is common to cast much older for teen roles in TV and film. Anywhere from 18-22 can be casted for HS roles and even older if you have a younger look.

Eulogy for Luke Perry

Quote: (03-05-2019 10:40 AM)Captainstabbin Wrote:  

Most actors, musicians, models, etc are heavy smokers - former child actors have been that way since 12-14. That Harry Potter kid can barely make it through a 10 minute TV interview without smoking. Throw in an 80s-style coke binge to celebrate a 90210 reboot and you're asking for problems.

EDIT: I've noticed lately in interviews - Jeff Bridges, at only 69, gets out of breath just walking to the couch for an interview. He got winded standing up for 30 seconds.

Having worked in the movie business I can attest to this. Every actor I was around smoked-- a lot. Even ones that were in good shape.

I have also noticed quite a change in Jeff Bridges voice. Not just the normal change with aging. He sounds like there's something wrong with his throat or that he constantly has a cold.

Eulogy for Luke Perry

Quote: (03-06-2019 07:13 AM)kosko Wrote:  

Quote: (03-06-2019 06:01 AM)Hypno Wrote:  

Wow. RIP.

In regards to age this may be true. It is important to note that it is common to cast much older for teen roles in TV and film. Anywhere from 18-22 can be casted for HS roles and even older if you have a younger look.

I remember an early 90s Simpson’s episode making fun of Luke Perry for looking too old to be a high school student.

[Image: 6ef4a8d95e3a2a315a04abb1cb454e54.jpg]

Take care of those titties for me.

Eulogy for Luke Perry

His 90210 castmate Gabrielle Carteris was 30 when the series first began.

Eulogy for Luke Perry

Quote: (03-06-2019 01:41 PM)griffinmill Wrote:  

His 90210 castmate Gabrielle Carteris was 30 when the series first began.

....and Luke was 24 playing a 16yr old