rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Timor-leste or East Timor

Gents,

I'm typing this up for you in the spirit of completeness, since the forum does not contain a datasheet on East Timor.

What, Where, When
East Timor was the youngest country in the world until the secession of South-Sudan. It lies within the Indonesian archipelago, and exists because of the Christian majority in the country wished to separate themselves in the seventies from the newly independent muslim nation of Indonesia. This ended badly for them, with Indonesian troops invading, raping everyone and burning everything and subsequently occupying the country for about twenty years.

When the Australian army and the UN finally intervened in the early nineties, the Indonesians again proceeded to rape everyone and burn everything as they left. There were, in 2014 when I was there, still evidence of bulletholes and burnt buidlings.

Languages and currency
High-end government and business is conducted in Portuguese and where possible, Tetum. Bahasa Indonesia is widely spoken, but frowned upon. As for English- I did't struggle with shops/ hotels/ tourist attractions (which are run by expats).

Attractions
The capital city of the country, Dili, registers 200,000 citizens. There is a large, grand mall, but the shops and vendors inside selling cheap plastic goods and non-perishable food betray the extreme poverty of the country. Right next to the mall is a cock-fighting arena, which seems to be the main social gathering point (there are no women here).

I was put into the VIP box to watch my $20 bet cock win its fight, only to be angrily told that I had in fact bet on the losing cock. My interpreter advised me that it is not wise to argue with a man wielding a bloodied machete, whose language you do not speak. I took his advice on this matter.

East Timor is a fantastic diving destination. As it has never truly flourished as a tourist destination (Bali being nearby) the coral reefs are pristine and beautiful. The diving bar on the esplanade, second to the hotel terrace in the mall, is the main gathering point for expats.

Being a Portuguese, christian country, the East-Timorese thought it appropriate to erect a giant Christ statue, visible from the city. There are restaurants and bars nearby with tables on the beach, but they see little traffic.

The women

Most women are native Indonesians- although on the darker and shorter side. I did not see many that piqued my interest. They generally can not speak conversational English unless they work in the hotel/bar.

I did, however, see several portuguese/timorese hybrids at the university, They speak English and are probably the gentleman traveller's best bet. Such a gentleman would do well for himself to post up at the coffee bar across the university (Timorese coffee is fantastic, also their second largest export)

Finally, there is a surprisingly large gathering of expat women that work as teachers or other UN-oriented professions in Dili. They can be found on select evenings at the dive bar on the esplanade.

Conclusion
Not a prime or even tertiary game-destination for the travelling gentleman. If you live in Australia however, have an interest in diving and wish to experience an extremely slow pace of life for a week or so, I'd give it a thought.

hmm aside from Mark Zollo or "Naughty Nomad" you would be the second person who went to Timor-Leste officially.
Good info.

What's the visa situation like there for US, EU or Australian passport holders? Can you just turn up? I assume a flight from Darwin is the best route?

Dr Johnson rumbles with the RawGod. And lives to regret it.

Ye I flew in there from Darwin. Alternatives would be Singapore or Jakarta.
As for Visas I just pitched up. Paid $30 with my South African passport- its all very rudimentary.

Quote: (01-24-2019 12:18 PM)RawGod Wrote:  

What's the visa situation like there for US, EU or Australian passport holders? Can you just turn up? I assume a flight from Darwin is the best route?

Very easy visa on arrival with a cost of $30 for me (US). Just turn up and flash those dollars.

There are also multiple daily flights from Bali (DPS) - about a 2 hour trip. Expect turbulence.

Timor Leste is definitely off the beaten path; you'll feel like a badass explorer the whole time you're there. I recommend renting a motorbike (scooter) and going around the island. Absolutely get local intel on road conditions and have a map on you at all times - this ain't Austria. The route I did was Dili to Baucau and back.

The motorbike trip was definitely the highlight. A few photos: https://imgur.com/a/f6Ov1au Locals would wave me down at every village for a chat and a cigarette. I speak Portuguese and have very basic Bahasa and the locals seemed speak at least one of the two in addition to their creole.

Otherwise, OP is spot on. Expat chicks there were trash and from the local chicks maybe 3 in 10 were bangable. In short, don't go for the poon. I do recall some pretty decent street parties with cheap beer and pot. Avoid the packs of feral dogs roaming the streets in and around Dili. Had a few show-downs and swerved into a ditch due to those mofos.

In Dili I recommend D'City Hotel - $40 and basic and felt like a Ritz Carlton after the trash heap of a guesthouse I stayed at in Baucau.