rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Master thread for my book Lady

Reviewers are getting their copy today. Thoughts and reviews of the book can go here.

Didn't realize you were writing this and Game simultaneously. Well done sir.

two scoops
two genders
two terms

What do you think the target age range would be for the reader? I have some nieces ranging from 12 - 20.

I would think its' an adult book, but at the same time kids grow up fast these days.

“Where the danger is, so grows the saving element.” ~ German poet Hoelderlin

Quote: (01-05-2019 08:08 PM)NoMoreTO Wrote:  

What do you think the target age range would be for the reader? I have some nieces ranging from 12 - 20.

I would think its' an adult book, but at the same time kids grow up fast these days.

I would say 15-40. It has advice on how to approach university, so girls in high school can get value from that. It can help women 30-35, but after 35, it's only useful for women who already found a man.

Quote: (01-05-2019 07:31 PM)NomadofEU Wrote:  

Didn't realize you were writing this and Game simultaneously. Well done sir.

I wrote Lady while taking a break from editing drafts of Game. I take a break from writing by writing. [Image: lol.gif]

Damn. This will be the book to launch a thousand REEEs.

I'm about a quarter in and I'm loving the book, but some of the things you've said are SO REAL and so antithetical to the mainstream narrative that I can already imagine the outrage it'll cause.

The thing is, I don't even think your intention is to cause outrage. There's a ton of great 'common sense' advice in here for both men & women and I found myself nodding my head often.

I especially like the "What would your grandmother do?" test of appropriate feminine behaviour because it's easy to remember and a lot of people will intuitively know the answer.

On the flip side, a lot of the things you say will be shocking to a mainstream Western audience because they are so use to hearing the opposite.

It's easy to imagine anyone politically left of your typical university girl violently flinging this book across their room and then going to eat a tub of Ben & Jerry's to 'de-stress.'
-

Regarding the age question above, I think younger girls ages 15-20 will get the most value out of this book. Even though they might not have the life experiences to understand it at the time, if they keep the ideas in the back of their head, they'll hopefully avoid a lot of damaging mistakes.

For girls ages 20 to around 27 (ballpark), the danger is that they're at the height of their beauty and power and will be very tempted to think they are the 'exception to the rule.' This is similar to when Jesus said, "it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God." In general, it's really hard for people to give up materialism, fun, and attention, especially when those things are just given to you. It's even harder when these temptations are disguised & normalized by society and can be really hard to see as mistakes without a lot of guidance. Nobody's perfect.

Lastly, for women 27+ and especially 30+, a lot of their life decisions will already have been made. They can sense the attention & willingness from men to commit decreasing with each passing year. While women can still do things to improve their situation such as growing their hair longer, learning homemaking skills, or being emotionally supportive, it is unfortunate for them that youth itself is so important to men. This book will do an excellent job of explaining why things went wrong + preventing further mistakes, but in the end no one can really turn back the clock.

Women in this last age group can certainly improve their marriage prospects if they act quickly, but we have to remember that, for a big chunk of them, the blow to their ego may be too big and they'll be apt to double down on their negative behaviours.

As such, I see this book as a warning to women. While it can improve a woman's relationship life at nearly any age, it'll have the most impact if she reads it early on.

Quote:Quote:

Damn. This will be the book to launch a thousand REEEs.

I'm about a quarter in and I'm loving the book, but some of the things you've said are SO REAL and so antithetical to the mainstream narrative that I can already imagine the outrage it'll cause.

The thing is, I don't even think your intention is to cause outrage. There's a ton of great 'common sense' advice in here for both men & women and I found myself nodding my head often.

I'm definitely not trying to cause outrage with this book. I'd like to go just a few months without getting shut down in some way.

Prediction:

A feminist will read this and accuse Roosh of grooming her.

“The greatest burden a child must bear is the unlived life of its parents.”

Carl Jung

Are you familiar with "What Makes Us Girls" by Brittany Pettibone? Sounds like there may be some overlap.

A couple days ago I got a review copy of Lady. I didn't listen to the audio version yet, but these are my thoughts after reading the mobi version.

The book is divided into three parts: You (i.e., the woman), Men, Relationships.

The first part talks about how women's minds work and how modern society is compromising a woman's biology by compelling her to waste her fertile years on things that cannot lead to happiness. There are good recommendations, like avoiding career and university.

Everything this part says is true, but it might be too logical for women. An explanation of masculine-feminine polarity, ideological programming of the university environment, etc. is deep and some might lose interest at this point. The first part was a bit of a slog for me to read through.

It gets back to Earth when Roosh introduces the idea of the angel and devil sitting on the shoulders to represent the good and bad sides of a woman's nature. Everyone can relate to that, as well as the idea of when a man meets a woman he puts her in a "wife" box or "promiscuous" box. I also liked the shortcut of seeing whether a man is interested in her career as a screening tool.

The second part is about how men are primarily driven by sex, but will eventually get to a point where they'll want to settle down. There's a good explanation of a man's five needs and some essentials on how to be physically attractive (long hair and intermittent fasting FTW!).

At this point the book has really hit its stride and the dos and don'ts on creating a good first impression are top notch. Roosh suggests going very slow, waiting two dates before kissing and nine dates before sex (making sure to underline for the modern thot that anal and blowjobs count as sex). The idea of the two-ninths policy is that most guys will give up before nine dates, but if a guy perseveres he's a keeper.

The only piece of advice missing is some practical guidelines on the cost/benefit of poorer younger guy vs affluent older guy. I know there is specific advice for the over-30 women to go after guys 5-10 years older, but there's nothing wrong with younger woman/older guy pairings (I guess you can tell which age group I'm in).

The third part is about relationships and there's a blueprint for a woman to follow for the timeline to get to marriage, the six qualities for a healthy relationship, as well as the common pitfalls to look out for and how to troubleshoot them (there's even a Patrice O'Neal shout-out).

There's a brief conclusion and that's it.

Criticisms/Suggestions:
-not sure the point of the prologue, the last paragraph by itself makes a short and sweet prologue that compels the reader forward, but people usually skip those so maybe it doesn't matter
-could use more discussion on importance of religion and cultural compatability; religion seems shoehorned into the end of the book
-should there be practical tips for what constitutes appropriate social media use?

I agree with what Tactician wrote above about this book having the most impact if she reads it early on in her life.

Quote: (01-06-2019 02:29 AM)Roosh Wrote:  

I'm definitely not trying to cause outrage with this book. I'd like to go just a few months without getting shut down in some way.

We are all hoping for the best for you. But I am afraid I wouldn't count on this book being treated much differently. I would expect more "Roosh man bad" stuff. You could have the cure for cancer and they would throw it away rather than give it a fair shake just because of your name.

If they do go ballistic about this book, may I suggest you write your next book in a very non offensive topic like organic gardening or finger painting just to test the limits of their craziness. Then you could turn around and write a real book about all the various folks who have been censored and include your own examples with it.

I think a book like this is best hidden behind a pseudonym ala JK Rowling.

Here are my thoughts from reading the review copy:

The advice Roosh is giving women is correct. The core of it really isn't anything that would be surprising to anyone familiar with this part of the manosphere: don't get fat, don't be a slut, don't be a bitch, and don't lie. Frankly, the only men I could see disagreeing with this advice in principle would be male feminists trying to score virtue signal points.

The most significant suggestion Roosh makes is for women to not lie. He makes the case that female deception gets found out eventually and seriously undermines the trust which forms the basis of a stable relationship. In my own experience with women, they seem to think that all men are stupid or oblivious and don't notice the inconsistencies between their words and behavior, or that they outright contradict themselves in their backstories. This attitude is reinforced by the constant media portrayal of delta males in relationships as moronic doofuses that are so stupid they can't even get the right brand of fabric softener without hurting themselves. The problem of female lying and societal tolerance of it is also a behavior which I see as common across the political spectrum, including the target demographic of this book.

Speaking of target demographics, this brings up a point of criticism I have. Namely, who is this book for? I initially expected the book to be an "I told you so" meant for the future AI Chinese Sexbots picking through the ruins of human civilization to find that shows at least some of us saw what was happening. In actuality it is targeting conservative leaning women who want to have a stable LTR. Left-leaning or feminist women reading the book won't even get far enough into it to read the actual advice: I could picture women I know arguing against just the foundational premises of reality upon which Roosh bases his logic. ("What do you mean men want prettier women? All women are beautiful.") The problem is that I suspect conservative or religious women also have a largely negative opinion of Roosh as a sinful fornicator, as well as being just as badly conditioned by modern churcianity to not accept male authority figures as liberal women. The book might have more reach if Roosh just wrote under the pseudonym of "Pastor Beardman".

The one group I can see buying the book are internet-familiar tradthots, but that's not a large group compared to the Bang and Game audiences.

Another criticism I have of the book is the advice to hold out on sex in order to screen out players. Not that this isn't a good idea, but I think Roosh should emphasize more that the girl needs to still make sure the guy knows that she's romantically interested in him. I wouldn't drop a girl just for holding out on sex, but I definitely drop them if I get the sense that they don't find me attractive and see the dates as just something to do in the evening or are hoping to make me an emotional tampon.

The final criticism I have is that the delta males that Roosh is advocating are still portrayed in a subtly negative light. They're boring, they sweat profusely when they try to talk to girls, they get excited and blow up your phone before the first date, etc. It's hard to speak positively of doofuses when you're game-aware since you can so clearly see the cringey things they do and say, but it isn't good to remind women of the things they don't like about these guys. Play up the chivalry, loyalty, family-orientation, and all that gay shit.

Overall I think the book works quite well as a relationship guide for traditionally-minded women. If they take the advice they'll be well on their way to the sort of stable LTRs that are so uncharacteristic of our modern Western society. Going through my 30s in my social circle I'm seeing a progression of divorcing couples who I had previously assumed happy together, usually without producing children in the woman's fertile years; clearly there is a problem with relationships these days that isn't only limited to screwballs or the underclass, and if we keep going the way we're going it will be the sexbots who inherit the Earth.

I wanted to start by thanking Roosh for allowing me the privilege of reviewing an advance copy of his work, "Lady."

Originally I was going to take the PDF version, but since I had a couple of longer business trips in the last couple of days, I grabbed the audio versions.

Roosh,

Most guys on the forum are going to spend a lot of time nodding their heads as you lay out what seems like common sense. In fact, it sounds exactly like the advice our grandmothers would give, which you point out in the first chapter.

The advice given throughout the book, is solid. Boiled down:

- Respect the feminine and masculine roles
- Be the feminine woman that nature intended you to be.
- Find a quality man who is prepared to commit.
- Grow in love and create a strong family together.

Those are all solid, but I echo BortimusPrime's point. Who the heck is this going to be marketed to? You said, 15-40 year olds. But is that who you think will buy this? Considering the entirely unjustified hatred than has been lavished on you (and by proxy the Manosphere in general) what women do you see buying this after a quick Google search of who this "Roosh guy" is?

Any woman who has had any contact with feminist thinking, will instantly burst into flames the moment her eyes see the print.

And women who are unscathed by the disease of feminism have little need for the advice.

Of course I do not know if you happen to have a marketable number of female followers on your various social media platforms, so perhaps my concern is misplaced.

I also wanted to mention that while you have a tonally pleasing voice and your enunciation is good, your "reading flow" sounds strained. You sound more like someone who is reading something they've never seen before rather than work they created. You very often - I'd say 85% of the book - read. the. words. like. this. or "Read this sentence" now "read this sentence."

The book is written in a conversational style, but you frequently read it a little like you're reciting numbers from a ledger. It should sound more like your podcasts. Very smooth, and natural.

A couple of other minor points.

1. It's "venomous snakes" not "poisonous snakes."
2. You only work out 6 times a MONTH?
3. Probably not really the sort of thing that's a concern, but you cite numerous studies in the book. I looked at the PDF and there are no citations. I guess a book for women doesn't need them, but I like to see them when referenced.

Thank you again for allowing me to participate in the review process.

I'm not worried about the marketability. I'm confident that Lady will be a top 10 bestseller... all 10 of my female readers will buy it!

I hired a female designer to create the cover.

[Image: GPubsfg.jpg]

I told my "main" chick (Hungarian) about this book and that I knew it was going to be legit (and she knows and admits I have a very good understanding of the "sexual market" or whatever we choose to call it).

She told some of her closest friends who are single about the book too. Her friends have sometimes messaged me for advice on guys they're dating and they became really interested. I've said some harsh truths to them and surprisingly they responded well to it.

Anyway, my girl said it would probably be a great thing to give to her single friends as a birthday present.

Quote: (01-09-2019 04:18 PM)Roosh Wrote:  

I'm not worried about the marketability. I'm confident that Lady will be a top 10 bestseller... all 10 of my female readers will buy it!

Don't sell yourself short Roosh. I believe this book is going to be a secret bestseller courtesy of the female hamster which since the dawn of time leads women across the planet to say one thing and do the exact opposite. ESPECIALLY if they read all those lies about Roosh in the mainstream media. Instant tingles and it's the alpha male catnip they simply won't be able to refuse.

They'll buy it or perhaps share it among each other (under the guise of outrage) and if accused of supporting Roosh they probably claim they simply wanted to collect intel on how terribly wrong and misguided he truly is. Plus some of the ones who read it and consciously reject the message will most likely subconsciously adjust their behavior without realizing it.

Because that's exactly how the feminine mind operates, it's a labyrinth of emotional twists and turns and the only way to punch through it is with a twelve gauge of concentrated no shits given testosterone.

Everyone wins ;-)

"The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."
– Lt. Col. Dave Grossman

Quote: (01-10-2019 07:40 PM)Roosh Wrote:  

I would have preferred a Glock pointing upward in place of the L with the rose in the barrel ;-)

"The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."
– Lt. Col. Dave Grossman

Quote: (01-10-2019 07:40 PM)Roosh Wrote:  

Typography is crap. Looks like it's written LACLY. Get an easier to read typeface. Both for the title and probably for author.

I think the book should have a subtitle to describe the book since your can't have an idea by looking at the cover. Something like "how to succeed", "how to find the man of your dreams", etc.

You should've hired a man to do the design. GAME cover was quite good. See if he can do this one.

Quote: (01-09-2019 04:18 PM)Roosh Wrote:  

It will probably do better than you think due to the Streisand effect.

I agree. Font could be clearer and a sub headline would help.

If your target audience is women, have women critique the design, not us.

Quote: (01-11-2019 02:05 PM)Zep Wrote:  

Yes. Having men critique a book that isn't meant for them is not going in the direction I was hoping for. [Image: lol.gif]

Exactly. A pink flower (the font too) will appeal more to women.

Its a good cover to me.

@Roosh: Since women are the target audience, why not have some trusted females review your book? Its more important to get feedback from them, than guys on this forum. Give some free paperback copies to young women in college (18-24) and young female professionals (25-40)?

But that would be like asking women for game advice when you should take advice from players, right?
No instead, you look at the book cover of guys who have successfully sold multiple copies to women like Dr. Oz and Dr. Phil.

So it should be something like this

[Image: n12neu.jpg]