rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

8,760 Hours: How to get the most out of next year
,760 Hours: How to get the most out of next year
Hey,

for many years already I've been using this pdf called 8,760 Hours: How to get the most out of next year to review / plan my next year. Maybe its useful for you too!
Thanks mate that is a great share.
How've you used it and how has it helped?
Thanks for sharing! This looks like a powerful tool.
I am highly analytical and goal-driven so this appeals to me, and the time of year to perform such an exercise is perfect.

2018 was a massive success for me, having achieved a number of large personal goals. In the wake of doing so it's left a bit of a void. Buoyed by success I have left a period to really reflect and assess what I want to achieve from life in the coming year (and several following years) and make sure that goals are appropriate and that my actions line up with achieving them.
By focussing on a couple of large goals in the past year I may have also neglected one or two areas so this will be great to review holistically and reset.

The 12 Life Areas it uses as categories are powerful and provide some great perspective.
(I've tried to discuss these with friends/colleagues and most people don't seem to have the same direction or willingness to assess or discuss their life?) I couldn't help but feel like I might be missing an area.
The questions as tools are good. The review process is solid too.

Good luck to everyone in 2019!
How about I do one better, here's how I chart the weeks left until I hit 80, every square is a week and every line is a year, every week since birth has been blacked out.

I've been keeping this chart for a few years......the Memento Mori chart, all the links I used for for a pdf download of it are dead.

Seeing the wall of black behind you irreplacable, is deeply unsettling.

[Image: memento-mori-pic.jpg]

[Image: 100_0035.JPG]

The origin:

http://stevoreed.blogspot.com/2011/04/memento-mori.html

http://livingmyselftodeath.blogspot.com/...aning.html

https://scrawnytobrawny.com/28251

http://www.anthonyjyeung.com/memento-mori-life/

This guy will send you a copy in Excel:

https://www.genyfinanceguy.com/2014/11/0...mortality/
Memento Mori acknowledges one's mortatility but provides no framework, strategies or measurement for the future.
In that regard, I see it as far less helpful.
Though I Consider this 8,760 Hours guide nicely formatted and structured, I think just out of sheer decision, almost no one is able to keep up with a complex guide throughout the full year. Just looking at general human behaviour, changing a lot of things at once, having a vast plan unifying many aspects our lives won't (necessarily) lead to results in the long term.
I just spent two hours completing this, and I highly recommend others to take some time to do the same. Thank you OP for sharing this. I now have an enormous mind map committed to paper, which objectively analyzes every aspect of my life. Some areas, such as health, finances, career were very easy to complete, as I have previously given them a lot of thought and I know exactly what needs to be done. Other areas, such as emotional well being, social life and character were more difficult, as they are areas which I have known for a long time needed to be addressed, but I shied away from doing so, so this was a good opportunity to force myself to face them. Then there were other areas - specifically values and purpose - which I simply didn't know how to answer. This is extremely troubling to me since these should be the most basic, fundamental of building blocks for a person's life, yet I realise that I've given this almost no thought. And although it's humbling to realise this, I don't think I'm alone - I'm sure a lot of people would have trouble answering a question as basic as "What are your values?"

I don't see this as a means for making a bunch of resolutions, as that would end in failure. But I think it's valuable in that I now have a comprehensive overview of my life, and I can start to zero in on the aspects of my life which need work.
Looks interesting thx!

I did this last year:

https://yearcompass.com/

YearCompass is a booklet that helps close your year and plan the next one. In the routine of everyday life it's easy to lose sight of your true goals and aspirations. And even though we all have dreams, only a few of us plan for them. Effectively, at least. YearCompass works simply. Using questions and exercises rooted in psychology it takes you through the past year, then helps you turn your dreams into achievable goals.
First, I like any idea that works for people to make them more productive.

I've shared this in various forms in different posts over the past few years. I'm not terribly goal-oriented. I don't say that as a good or bad thing, it's just that I know myself when I set a goal or someone suggests a goal for me.

I went through a post-divorce period late 20s where I didn't really accomplish or work at anything, even working out regularly. Rather than setting a goal, I started simply marking on my google calendar when I would work out or play basketball. This way, not only do I get the endorphins of working out, but I when I pull up my calendar after a good few days or good week, I "built something" on my calendar that I can be proud of...4 days of lifting (or something like that)...and it's there, I can see it.

So for me, simply documenting on my calendar got me into going to the gym regularly, which eventually led me to jujitsu. Even after I'd been doing BJJ regularly, it still took discipline to go (anyone can tell you, the first year you just get beat up every day). So I never judged myself for not going, I simply wasn't able to document it on my calendar. For me this eliminated the judgment of "not reaching a goal" but left the good feeling of "if you go it's documented".

Now, two years later, BJJ is just a thing I do, a habit. I don't really get much positive feeling out of documenting it, since (1) it's just habitual, and (2) I get plenty of positive feelings from doing the sport and socializing with my gym friends.

It took me a while, but I need to change up career a bit, so recently I started calendar documenting when I applied for jobs or worked on resume, etc.

Again for me, simply observing a good/bad activity removes the judgment of failure but maintains the positive feelings of accomplishment. It's probably my own psychoanalytical daddy issues, but that's how I work.

I suspect it's a higher order to be a goal setter and goal accomplisher, but I also suspect most people aren't great at it with the things they really need to do but don't want to do.

“Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate.”
Exactly what I needed. Thanks for the share!
I am interested in how OP applied this (if it wasnt said already) but yeah i think the questions are useful seems like it would be overwhelming to track/have goals in 12 different areas
I carried out this process first week in the year, took 6 hours!

It really brought some things into focus and gave me a solid actionable list to guide my priorities.

I found the approach well thought out and effective, but I did merge a few of the areas into one single categories.

I recommend others do this project. People just aren't good at strategic planning, sop this process is a great aid.