rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

University Sucks!

University Sucks!

I'm about 4 months away from having a BBA in computerized management of information systems. And I know shit. Yeah I know how to program and some stuff. But right know I have a course where the instructor gave me fuckin' 50 out of 200 just because I didn't do the fuckin' assignment 100% as she wanted it. I still wrote about 25 pages and she just sent me some fuckin' comment sayin' I didn't follow the damn instructions. I hate having to answer to uni teachers as if they were my fucking boss paying my salary.

I'm fucking pissed off. I'm paying for the damn college to teach me and all they do is make me do meaningless essays which teach me nothing. I'm on the verge of saying "fuck uni" and just dropping. I don't really want a college degree, I'm just fucking doing it for my family and myself. If I drop they will probably remove all the monetary support they give me and they're always telling me how they want me to make them proud by graduating with a bachelors. I'm starting a business, but I'm not yet where I could go and live by myself, not enough money yet. But every day that passes I feel more sure that I don't want a fucking degree that I ain't going to use. This shit puts me through too much stress. I'm thinking dropping and go and live a few months with my savings which could be enough for a few months or a year.

Sorry for my rant. I just needed to get this all out.

Has anyone here been in this situation? Can someone give me a bit of advice?

Thanks

University Sucks!

When I was in culinary school, and yes thats culinary as in cooking, I had to take a psych course. State requirement. Rather then gear the course to fit the program, as in what colors make people want to eat and spend money, how lighting effects mood and spending, how the appearance of people influences the mood and spending habits of people, ect, psychological things that would impact us directly in the field, they taught us a balls on psych course, the kind you would take if you were majoring in the study.

I boycotted the class, got about half the students to join me. When they were on the verge of failing half the class, most of us the top students in the kitchen, I went to the director of the school and explained why it is that we were about to fail. They made me and a few other whos grades were crazy low re-take the course, but the curriculum was SEVERELY changed.

Failed the course, technically, but got it changed for all future students.

Chef In Jeans
A culinary website for men

University Sucks!

I was ready to drop out of college several times. I majored in exercise.. turns out that most of the classes were just bullshit pre-med science classes. My major completely sucked. I pushed through it and got my degree. It's nice to have that piece of paper. Sure, I could have used that time and money for better things, but I learned a ton (things such as preserverence). Just tough it out..it will be worth it when all is said and done.

What's your backup plan if your business fails? I'm all for figuring out how to make money online, start my own business, etc, but until I'm successful at that, I need a way to make money (easier to get a job with a degree)

University Sucks!

I'm finding this too, I'm not really learning anything useful unless I go into a specific subject. Even at that I'm in my third year and the course materials are pretty much the same as those I've taken the previous two years.

University Sucks!

Quote: (10-05-2011 06:59 PM)Pete Wrote:  

I'm about 4 months away from having a BBA in computerized management of information systems

Why would you want to quit with only 4 months left? How smart is that? Push through!

But right know I have a course where the instructor gave me fuckin' 50 out of 200 just because I didn't do the fuckin' assignment 100% as she wanted it

Follow instructions. In business, people are fired all the time for not following a directive

This shit puts me through too much stress. I'm thinking dropping and go and live a few months with my savings which could be enough for a few months or a year

Running your own business will cause you stress as well. Is depleting your savings really a smart business move?

Man up and push through! Don't give up on minor set backs.

University Sucks!

I felt similarly with my last semester too, although it didn't really have anything to do with bureaucratic drone teachers. Your going to have to deal with bureaucrats everywhere in your life. Learn how to deal with them efficiently and quickly. I would keep on for work visas alone. If you want work visas in many worthwhile countries in the world, a degree is a mandatory requirement, most of the time it's any sort of degree too. You might have some job offer in a foreign country and it falls through because you don't have the degree for the visa, and having to re-gear your life, move, to go back to school for 4 months, etc will cost you dearly. In business, your going to have to get shit done, work long hours and do shit you don't like and deal with gobs of bureaucratic accounting, labor and maybe immigration bullshit. Robotic teachers are predictable. It's hard when your surrounded by similarly unmotivated peers, while in business you can move to somewhere where the environment is saying 'you can do better' can do gobs for your ambition motivation.

University Sucks!

Get the degree. University wasn't fun for me either unfortunately but I'm glad I got my degree because it has opened many doors.

University Sucks!

Think ahead five years. Now look back. What do you think you'll regret more - bending over for four months so you could finish up, get your degree and move on to whatever you like with family support? Or having left college, been cut off financially and have to fend for yourself without a college degree?

Choose accordingly.

In the grand scheme of things four months is not a long time. Sure a lot of what they make you do is bullshit. Think of it this way: they have certain boxes to tick before they let you graduate. Most of them probably don't really care about you. Most of the boxes may be pointless. You can a) refuse to let them tick those boxes, making everyone's life harder, or b) figure out how you can allow them to tick those boxes and get on with you life, with a degree to fall back on.

If you ever need to apply for a job, having that degree is a box that has to be ticked before HR calls you in for an interview. Without it your options will be much more limited.

Businesses are hard to build. I speak from experience. You'll need all the support you can get.

"A flower can not remain in bloom for years, but a garden can be cultivated to bloom throughout seasons and years." - xsplat

University Sucks!

You're in your last semester. IF you wanted to drop out you should have done it in your first year. It would be a waste to not get your degree now that you've spent so much time on it. Stick through the four months.