rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

How successful have you been at Travel Hacking?

I just started reading Nicholas Kralev's book "Decoding Air Travel" and this shit blows my mind.

Do you guys have experiential data regarding travel hacking? Save a shit-load of money or something?

I'm trying to snag some tickets to Tokyo within the next 2 years for free-ish, gonna start mining points [Image: tard.gif]

"started reading Nicholas Kralev's book "Decoding Air Travel" and this shit blows my mind."

What has blown your mind so far?

Share the wealth.

I bought that book on Vicious' recommendation (thanks Vicious) and can't recommend that book enough. Kralev breaks down how to decipher airfare codes and how to use websites like expertflyer.com to get airfares cheaper than what you can find on Kayak and other travel aggregator sites.

As far as travel hacking is concerned, I flew first class to Stockholm this summer and I plan to fly to Tokyo this summer no lower than business class solely using frequent flier miles.

@G: The airline codes and data that he discusses is just overwhelming and involved. That's what is blowing my mind.

@Pilk: Did you do anything special to pull all those miles or do you just fly often?

Yeah, that book is cash. Cash as in huge savings reaped. If you have any frequent flyer points sitting around in an account you owe it to yourself to get this book. His blog is also a must to follow.

Travel hackers have been doing this for years but the info has never been collected this well earlier. His entire process is gold, which is why it's not easily disassembled and summarised in a forum post. You simply have to get his book to see the entire picture.

As for the op question. I never fly in economy anymore (unless it's on company dime). I just buy US airways or bmi miles and book business/first award seats with them.

Fair enough.

Any examples of how much you have saved using his moves?

I have been meaning to buy this book for a while, however reading it and spending time on it seems to be a daunting task.

"His blog is also a must to follow."

Which is his blog?

Well for example I'm flying to Singapore, Bali and Thailand for a 3 week roundtrip in Thai and Singapore airlines business class this january. Thai is on of the worlds top 3 airlines, Singapore is in the top 3. I paid $1400 for this. The listed price in economy is $1700. The listed price in business class is $2400.

Yes the book IS demanding but it is also unlike all the get-rich-quick horseshit on the market.

Quote: (10-06-2011 09:36 AM)Vicious Wrote:  

Well for example I'm flying to Singapore, Bali and Thailand for a 3 week roundtrip in Thai and Singapore airlines business class this january. I paid $1400 for this.

Where are you flying out from? Id love to spend a few weeks in SE asia, my starting point would be Mexico City.

Docter,
That's a great recommendation, I'm going to get it and will report how it goes.
Thanks for sharing it.
Vicious, that's a sick deal 1400 first class on Thai and Singapore Airlines, 2 of the best airlines in the world who put to shame anything North American airlines has to offer.

Quote: (10-19-2011 07:06 PM)germanico Wrote:  

[quote='Vicious' pid='101890' dateline='1317911780']
Where are you flying out from? Id love to spend a few weeks in SE asia, my starting point would be Mexico City.

From Sweden. Though that's irrelevant as award tickets are "priced" by continent. Going from NA Asia would cost you more points but Brazil/Columbia/Chile would in return be cheaper.

what is travel hacking?

(i just use FF miles)
((i pay all my business expenses with a starwood amex))

Quote: (10-19-2011 09:10 PM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  

Docter,
That's a great recommendation, I'm going to get it and will report how it goes.
Thanks for sharing it.
Vicious, that's a sick deal 1400 first class on Thai and Singapore Airlines, 2 of the best airlines in the world who put to shame anything North American airlines has to offer.

any updated on this? [Image: smile.gif] sounds great!

A man from Portugal, impersonating a Hungarian police officer joins the forum to bump half a decade old threads?

I am the cock carousel