rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Any of y'all believe that eating kimchi can lead to stomach cancer

The idea came up randomly as I was searching online. What is your opinion on it?

Quote: (08-19-2018 01:10 PM)Mr.GoodThread Wrote:  

The idea came up randomly as I was searching online. What is your opinion on it?

Would you cite your sources for this claiming ?
I ate kimchi twice and it was spicy, good but spicy but from there to stomac cancer without no additives ? I doubt so.

Now if we talk about some "doubtful korean traditions" added to your kimchi yes we can say that cancer might be the worst of your problems

Tell them too much, they wouldn't understand; tell them what they know, they would yawn.
They have to move up by responding to challenges, not too easy not too hard, until they paused at what they always think is the end of the road for all time instead of a momentary break in an endless upward spiral

Doubt it. I thought kimchi was meant to be good for your gut, like all fermented foods?

Maybe Google stomach cancer rates in South Korea?

After some googling, its more salt then fermented thats gonna cause cancer. Kimchi has very high sodium so that might explain some people saying it will cause cancer.

Quote: (04-21-2014 04:47 AM)WestIndianArchie Wrote:  
On the cool, she probably had at least one too many tortiillas, but the tetas was mas gorda, comprenede?

If anything, the opposite. Kimchi contains indole-3-carbinol which is known to be protective against cancer.

Koreans smoke like chimneys yet few get cancer, word on the street is it's their kimchi consumption..

Kim chi itself, no.

The historical absence of refrigeration in Korean (and Japanese) cultures, leading to gastric cancer predisposition? Now you're gettin somewhere.

Depends on the quality of the product I would say, but generally fermented foods are a net positive for the gastrointestinal system, from what I`ve read. Maybe more so related to gut dysbiosis/gut permeability and autoimmunity etc. rather than cancer though.

Epithelium cell cancers (the most common cancers except for lung cancer) are a consequence of increased (more than what is normal) cell proliferation and oxidative stress/inflammation mostly. And sometimes pathogens, chemicals in the environment, radiation etc. play a role. Anything that causes mutations. Mutations is the cause of cancer.

Very simplified, you want to avoid excess oxidative stress, accelerated telomere shortening and anything else that can cause mutations in general. So this would generally be;

-Sugars (Including excess fructose and lactose)

-Grains
(Mostly due to excess blood sugar>insulin>IGF-1>increased mTor translocation>increased cell division>short telomeres>mutations>cancer. The same goes for sugars.)

-Seed oils (cause inflammation)

-Alcohol (oxidative stress, blood sugar elevations)

-Tobacco (oxidative stress)

-Caffeine
(A huge subject I know, but the caffeine molecule itself is an irretant, and can contribute towards mutations, also caffeine promotes DHT, although not black tea though. DHT is implicated in BPH/prostate cancer. Coffee specifically accelerates skin ageing, which can mean increased risk of skin cancer. It might have a protective via the polyphenols on other cancers, but you`re only as strong as your weakest link. Better drink green and black tea, and maybe mostly decaf also. Hot water or CO2 decaffeination method)

-Excess salt (Particularly refined salts. Just avoid processed foods and you`re pretty much fine.)

-Chemicals like BPA, parabens, pesticides, heavy metals. A long list of things here. Do you best to avoid them, without totally getting paranoid.

Well that`s not even the 101 on the cause of cancer, but I wouldn`t worry at all about Kimchi and fermented foods in general, as long as they don`t contain excess salt, or unfermented sugars. I would guess that Kimchi is also fairly high in anti-oxidants, that of course has a protective, anti carcinogenic effect.

We will stomp to the top with the wind in our teeth.

George L. Mallory

Thanks for breaking it down.

Sinota, that's an interesting point of view as far as the refrigeration, or lack thereof, is concerned.

I had always heard about it being really good for you, that's why I was surprised at those Googled sources claiming that it would most likely lead to stomach cancer