rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Glengarry Glen Ross headed to Broadway - all female cast.

David Mamet's modern classic of real estate salesmen is about to be given the SJW treatment. I predict an abject failure of this idiotic iteration of co-opting male stories.

Quote:Quote:

Two-time Tony nominee Amy Morton (August: Osage County, Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?) will direct a Broadway revival of David Mamet's Pulitzer Prize-winning Glengarry Glen Ross, featuring an all-female cast.

Performances will begin on Broadway in May 2019. Exact dates, the full design team, theatre, and casting will be announced at a later date.

Glengarry Glen Ross is set in a cutthroat Chicago real estate office where four salespeople (EDIT - four salesMEN) compete to sell mostly worthless properties to unwitting customers. Whoever sells the most wins a car (EDIT - a Cadillac Eldorado!); whoever sells the least is out of a job.

Morton is an actor, director, and ensemble member of Steppenwolf Theatre Company in Chicago. Her most recent New York directing credit was Guards at the Taj at the Atlantic Theater Company in 2015. Directing credits at Steppenwolf include The Way West, Penelope, Clybourne Park, and American Buffalo (also at McCarter Theatre), as well as Glengarry Glen Ross (which she also helmed in Dublin and Toronto).

As an actor, she has appeared in more than 30 productions at Steppenwolf and earned Tony and Drama Desk nominations for her performances in Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? and August: Osage County on Broadway.

The producing team is headed by Jeffrey Richards, Will Trice, Rebecca Gold, and Steve Traxler.

Glengarry Glen Ross debuted on Broadway in 1984, winning the Pulitzer Prize for Drama. The play was most recently revived on Broadway in 2012 with a cast headed by Al Pacino and Bobby Cannavale. Check out photos from the revival below:

Glengary Glen Ross is one of the most quintessentially masculine American plays (later adapted to film) ever performed in the recent past. It simply cannot function as a convincing female plot or script without major re-writes to the point of becoming unrecognizable.

The point here, ladies, is that it worked BECAUSE it was all male. Take away that and you might as well swap out the shark in Jaws with a goldfish.

Even in leftist NYC, I can't imagine this turd having a very long run on Broadway.

Weak. GGR is awesome and the movie is one of my favorites. This scene was not in the original play but it's legendary. Don't think they'll add it to the play, because it would be a travesty and a complete joke for a women to try to emulate Baldwin's alphaness here.

David Mamet himself kinda pussed out in 2005 when they last brought it to Broadway, getting rid of the "offensive" language Al Paccino used when ranting about an Indian prospective customer.

You can be sure there will be so many cuts to the script as to make it the equivalent of the Vagina Monologues.

entire cast getting only steak knives

"The whole point of being alpha, is doing what the fuck you want.
That's why you see real life alphas without chicks. He's doing him.

Real alphas don't tend to have game. They don't tend to care about the emotional lives of the people around them."

-WIA

What a joke. Are they going to replace all utterances of "faggot" with "breeder"?

Mamet's come out as a right-winger recently, this has to be their way of getting back at him.

I used to be a SJW....it's a tough racket.

Well, at least this is a really original idea for a play.

What is the female version of Alec Baldwin gonna hold up instead of brass balls? A roast beef sandwich?

You want to know the only thing you can assume about a broken down old man? It's that he's a survivor.

These people have no ideas of their own...the only point of this is taking a quintessentially masculine story and saying "nyah, women can do that too."

Dr Johnson rumbles with the RawGod. And lives to regret it.

Maybe it will be well done and not SJW trash. Who knows! Anything is possible.

I am betting they will not be saleswomen but an HR department in Silicon Valley.

It would be a good idea if they brought in Alec Baldwin for the tear down or a supporting role.

We could write this better than them. 2nd price is a dildo, 3rd prize is youre packaged out.

“Where the danger is, so grows the saving element.” ~ German poet Hoelderlin

Female Glengarry Glen Ross was already made.

[Image: 41ibf%2BR5VKL.jpg]

So it's not that women don't have pecking orders and don't compete. It's just in a different context.

I really like Devil Wears Prada, NOT because I like fashion, but because it's easy to see the parallels between competing in a female dominated profession and a male one and translate in my head. At a fundamental level it's not that different.

Quote: (08-10-2018 11:07 PM)renotime Wrote:  

What is the female version of Alec Baldwin gonna hold up instead of brass balls? A roast beef sandwich?

More likely a pastrami bagel............

L:219  F:29  V:9  A:6  3S:1

"Water, water, everywhere, nor any drop to drink"

Quote: (08-11-2018 12:44 AM)NoMoreTO Wrote:  

Maybe it will be well done and not SJW trash. Who knows! Anything is possible.

I am betting they will not be saleswomen but an HR department in Silicon Valley.

It would be a good idea if they brought in Alec Baldwin for the tear down or a supporting role.

We could write this better than them. 2nd price is a dildo, 3rd prize is youre packaged out.

This idea has legs. They bring in Zooey Quinn or someone to do Alec Baldwin's monologue. "We've given you all leads, people blatantly guilty of Thoughtcrime somewhere in this company. Diversity is crucial, so I expect you to each bring in at least 10 white male scalps or you're FIRED. And the person that brings in the most white male scalps gets a weekend in Paris".

HR Lady #1 - "But the leads are weak. One is just a video of somebody making eye contact with a secretary and saying hello on the way in every morning."

Zooey Quinn - "The leads aren't weak, YOU are weak! I've destroyed 20 year careers of high performers for less than that. People that dedicated their entire lives to the company! They had families to support and I made guys that had known them for decades turn their backs on them and kick them to the curb. Do you know what it takes to do this job? [This is the scene where Alec Baldwin pulls out the Brass Balls, and Zooey Quinn pulls out a Pussy Hat and puts it on her head]. We're no longer in an era when it takes balls to be successful, in the new corporate landscape, it's about being a complete pussy and bowing scraping to whatever new dogma comes on from down high."

HR woman #2 - "But some of these guys have crucial skills for the company, won't taking out that many destroy the company that we all work for?"

Zooey Quinn kicks over a trash can and screams - "Diversity is out strength, the only thing that matters! Its benefits are so great no amount of experience or competence can compare! You aren't even getting the leads, they're wasted on lumps like you? Nice person? Who gives a fuck? Good mom? Go home and play with your kids. I want cat people! I need people that can do Diversity and get me White Male scalps! And you're going to have to get those scalps without the leads, without any evidence of any kind!".

There are RVFers with better writing than me, who can help me flesh out this scene?

Quote: (08-11-2018 10:55 AM)Sandstorm Wrote:  

Quote: (08-10-2018 11:07 PM)renotime Wrote:  

More likely a pastrami bagel............

Brass Ben Wa balls.

"The woman most eager to jump out of her petticoat to assert her rights is the first to jump back into it when threatened with a switching for misusing them,"
-Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

And of course it is out of the question to write their own play.

There is a female version of this story just waiting to be told.

Mary Kay Cosmetics anyone?

Mary Kay Cosmetics is a all female insane multi level marketing scam that is very similar to the guys in this play, except with a facade of female lovey dovey bullshit.

Like if you sell a certain amount, you get a free pink cadillac.

I am totally serious here. If there were a play that was an expose about the backstage shenanigans of this dumbshit company, I would totally go see it.

[Image: mary-kay-loser.jpg]

Back when I was waiting tables, a couple of the waitresses where I worked were Mary Kay reps, and those girls were absolute, cutthroat savages.

One of the customers where I worked was this thing, Tammy Faye Bakker, who was a popular Christian evangelist at the time.

[Image: tammyfaye_thumb.jpg]

The two waitresses always fought to be her waitress, and they were competing to get their Mary Kay cosmetic hooks into the beast. Imagine being the person responsible for giving old Tammy Faye a makeover.

For a Mary Kay rep, this would be their Everest.

The point here is that these Broadway types are ninnies. There are plenty of stories about women out there that would be absolutely fascinating, and would go for the same issues as Glengarry Glen Ross, but from a female perspective.

There is even a website out there run by ex Mary Kay girls that purports to take the organization down:

Pink Truth Dot Com

You wouldn't even have to do any real research to write a play like this, the information has all been published on the web and organized for you. For any playwright, it would be a piece of cake. You could even borrow the structure of GGR, people it with female equivalents of the male archetypes, and you would be on your way.

And know what? It took me, a man, about two seconds to come up with this idea. It is a way better idea than ruining an amazing play by putting masculine words into feminine mouths.

A project like this retread of GGR is basically an open admission that women can't think or speak for themselves and when it comes to being creative, they just let the men do all the heavy lifting and ride their coattails.

I am sure this Broadway admission of abject failure will be lauded in the press as some sort of blow for equal rights and empowerment, but I think that deep down in their hearts these broads know that they are being big babies, wasting other people's time and money, and that their little show is just a cry for help.

The most annoying thing about it is that there are some great plays about women, covering the same issues as this play, that are out there, just waiting to be written, and it would never occur to these twats to do anything like that.

They are just like the little girl at the next desk in third grade copying your picture during art class, and then running outside at recess to say you *stole* her idea.

That is where we are at. Arrested development trying to pass itself off as social progress.

Not sad at all.

David Mamet is a great playwright because he reveals the behind the scenes world of a man's life and brings it to life with an amazing imagining of the rhythms of male speech. In order to do that he had to be observant and honest about the male character.

And that is why no woman will write the female version. For a chick, introspection is Kryptonite.

“The greatest burden a child must bear is the unlived life of its parents.”

Carl Jung

The dumb thing is, that scene with the "it takes brass balls to sell real estate" line isn't even about success -sure it's motivating, but in the film, it's really Alec Baldwin's shark character giving a room of sad-sacks their notice. It's about FAILURE and DESPERATION, and so is the whole play. Nobody comes out ahead in Glengarry Glen Ross (and Jonathan Pryce's character would be a real irony, since in the film, his wife tells him to cancel the purchase he made from Roma/Pacino's character, so this time, her husband would be down on her for wasting money? Maybe I'm thinking too hard about it; when I had a sales job, my manager dropped a quote from that scene every hour, and he even fired someone with "hit the bricks, pal and beat it 'cause you are going out". Almost any remake of a classic movie deserves to be ignored to death and this one isn't bucking the trend.

"The woman most eager to jump out of her petticoat to assert her rights is the first to jump back into it when threatened with a switching for misusing them,"
-Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

The speech at the beginning will be shit and Roma's 'Have a nice trip' scene at the end will be shit.

As will 'Who told you that you could work with...women?'

Mind you, I'm not sure any showing of the play could compare to the masterpiece that was the film.

"The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilised community, against his will, is to prevent harm to others...in the part which merely concerns himself, his independence is, of right, absolute." - John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

It's easy. All they have to do is use MTF trannies in the cast. Problem solved. Christ, most of them still have their balls anyway.
Also, playwrights have a lot of control over the production of a play. NFW are they going to make any script changes unless Mamet approves them.

A B C

A always
B be
C copying

Always be copying.

I hate "female" remakes, but if done correctly, this could work.

I've worked with dozens of female sales reps and the intra-office intensity is no less than GGR.

Probably have to rewrite the characters though.

That said, not holding my breath.

/shrug

Quote: (08-11-2018 10:14 AM)questor70 Wrote:  

Female Glengarry Glen Ross was already made.

[Image: 41ibf%2BR5VKL.jpg]

So it's not that women don't have pecking orders and don't compete. It's just in a different context.

I really like Devil Wears Prada, NOT because I like fashion, but because it's easy to see the parallels between competing in a female dominated profession and a male one and translate in my head. At a fundamental level it's not that different.

I have't seen this film but I certainly agree with you that what is great about GGR is how its a study of male interactions and hierarchies. Females interact with each and self-organize very differently are arguable less effectively. The Alaways be Closing Speach would never fly. Another female would never sit there. One would leave, one would start crying hysterically, and one would attack the alpha and start pulling her hair. The fourth one would sleep with her boss or pull some behind the scenes sabotage.

If that's what Devil Wears Prada is about, I need to watch it!

The thing with DWP is they deal with the fact that in order for a woman to rise to the top of the business world she pretty much has to forfeit any sort of love-life. This, because MEN are success objects, not women. So the status of moving up provides no real benefit to women, and if anything, makes them less desirable due to the bitch-factor.

I know people here hate Meryl Streep's guts but this film pulls no punches in showing the downside of women following an aggressive career track.

So GGR is about men feeling pressured to be the provider and DWP is about women moving across the grain of cultural expectations to be ambitious.

For Anne Hathaway's character, the net effect is she winds up breaking up with her significant other, mostly due to the above dynamic, where the guy can no longer compete on her level and so the chemistry breaks down, really on both sides, and by the end of the movie, she quits.

This film has a rep for being a "chick flick" but it's very watchable and slinging truths if you look beyond the surface details.

I have worked in sales for a long time, the original movie has always been like a blueprint on how to sell.

Women generally don't work sales, unless it is something easy and they can show off their faces.

This play will flop like all the other female re-productions.

Our New Blog:

http://www.repstylez.com

I've been in the automotive and marine sales business for a decade now and this movie does itself justice to the general malaise that plagues sales people.

Very few women are worth dealing with in this industry unless they are truly strong (and I don't mean OMG SHEZ SOOO INDUHPENDENT) or are pretty faces for trade shows.