rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The Atlantic: New way to force "diversity" on your kids

[Rant Mode 'On']

This topic is personal to me since I am a new dad and I live in an area with a school system that I won't send me kid to (which I pay a fortune in taxes to support).

The majority of parents in my position move to a neighborhood they can barely afford and is far from their job; requiring a killer daily commute. The also endure years long waiting lists for private daycare / nursery schools.

My own parents did the same back in the late '60s. My Mom loved her home and the neighborhood, but my grade school age sister was being "enriched" daily by being beaten and robbed by a group of thugs. My Mom was able to get the attacks to stop for a while, by physically assaulting (lifting the thugs by their throats and slamming against the wall), when the useless principal walked out of her office for a moment. Multiple meetings with the principal and the thugs had been done by my Mom in hope of stopping the attacks. My Mom also had another kid on the way (me).

There was no school choice, private schools were basically Catholic or non-affordable, so my Dad bought a home (which my Mom hated... for good reasons), in a town with "good schools", paid killer property taxes, and did a four hour round trip commute five days a week.

The Cultural-Marxist Left has taken notice that with school choice / private schools and families making themselves mobile, there is still the crime being committed of children not experiencing diversity. Hence, the latest proposal detailed in The Atlantic:

https://www.theatlantic.com/education/ar...on/560930/

And thus Scott-Railton’s idea was born: to take demographics of schools into account in college admissions—giving priority to applicants who attended schools with a certain threshold of low-income students (say, above 40 percent). In other words, admissions officers would look favorably on students who attended an economically integrated school, much as they do those who have had unusual travel experiences or outstanding extracurricular achievements.

In a nutshell, he argues, this idea would drive integration in three ways: It would create an incentive for middle class and wealthy parents to enroll their students in socioeconomically integrated schools, it would create countervailing considerations for white parents considering leaving currently integrated school districts, and it would provide an incentive for private schools to enroll more low-income students. Middle-class students would likely benefit more from Scott-Railton’s idea than low-income students, since his proposal doesn’t inherently change the financial barriers to attending college. But millions more would benefit from the increased K–12 integration, which decades of research show improves public schooling.

The diversity push is now being done on the charter schools in my area (also paid for by my tax $$$). Charter school admissions are done by lottery (the one I was interested in had over 1,000 applicants for less than 40 spots). The standards were kept and kids that couldn't keep up academically or were discipline problems were removed. In the end, you got a group of kids who were on the same page intelligence and discipline wise. These kids went on to magnet high schools and eventually onto STEM careers.

This however, the weeding out of the student body meant the resulting school demographics did not please the Progressive / SJW crowd. So the push is now to "diversify" the charters, which of course has resulted in issues like kids bringing in handguns to school (the resulting lock-down and evacuation were not covered by the press). There is no way to ensure equal outcomes without relaxing academic and disciplinary standards.

If you live near a large urban area, most of the highest scoring/rated schools in the suburbs will have high Asian demographics, so that should satisfy this "diversity" initiative if your kids go to one of those schools.

Since you are a new dad sounds like you have time to save up for a private education for your kid.

Only other option you have is moving to a country with a better education system.

Don't know the mother situation tough.

Quote: (05-31-2018 10:33 AM)C-Note Wrote:  

If you live near a large urban area, most of the highest scoring/rated schools in the suburbs will have high Asian demographics, so that should satisfy this "diversity" initiative if your kids go to one of those schools.

Asians don't count (being serious) as being "diverse". Here in the magnet schools and other special programs, you have a harder time getting in as 'Asian' than as 'White'.

The Indians (we have a big Hindi community here) gamed the system by putting categorizing their kids as 'other'. That worked for a while until the classes again became majority Asian / Indian with whites being the next most represented group.

Quote: (05-31-2018 10:34 AM)nola Wrote:  

Since you are a new dad sounds like you have time to save up for a private education for your kid.

Putting $5k a year into a 529 plan (Trump administration made it usable for PK-12 private education now.. not just college), plus additional savings. Private school right now is about $15 - $25k per year. The local Catholic school is much cheaper at about $8k per year.

I wish they would stop with the "low-income" and "middle-income" phrasing and just say what they really mean.

Anyway, I believe that going to college nowadays is a huge mistake. The reasons for this have been beaten to death on this forum so I won't go into that now, but this type of proposal will only make college degrees even more worthless. This is basically affirmative action by association. I wouldn't be too upset about this proposal hurting your kid's college admission chances because by the time they're 18 college will probably be completely worthless.

It's very clear to me that education in America is declining at a rapid pace, even at the levels below college. Common core is a disaster used to dumb down education for everyone and stunt the growth of overachievers. The abundance of female teachers and the SJW mindset also makes schools a terrible environment for young people (especially men).

I would use this opportunity to teach your kids the value of independent thought. Help turn them into thinkers instead of letting them become mindless sheep pumped out of the education system. Homeschool them if you must.

There's plenty of ways to make a very good living without a college degree nowadays - even in very traditional ways. For example, one can teach themselves how to program computers, write a couple open-source projects, and use that portfolio to land a software engineering gig. I've hired software engineers and never even looked at their education. If they showed that they could deliver results, they had a spot on my team.

When the rest of their peers are a bunch of mindless drones trying to figure out where on the gender spectrum they land, your kids will have a huge leg up on the competition if they adopt the right mindset.

I'm not a parent. Just my $0.02.

Only other option you have is moving to a country with a better education system.

Believe it or not, technology has made home schooling a thousand times more practical than it used to be. You're in a virtual classroom with a live teacher and group of their peers they still have some way interacting with. You do risk some social skills, but most states have laws that require them to to allow you to pick a school within a certain radius so you can play sports and do other extra-curriculars.

The more I read about American education, the more I don't think home schooling is a bad idea. I grew up as a white guy in the states. I went to catholic school for the last half of my grade school education. My other relatives did catholic school the entire ride. I did not grow up in the best town, it's diverse racially, but there's a massive drug problem in the area with the goal being to grow up to leave the town if you're young (only the less successful or more settled stick around, if you stay there in your 20's it's not usually good).

Anyway, what I realized was that I still got opportunities even having the most minimum college education. I do believe community college and trade schools will be the future. I did the CC route then two years for a Bachelor's and don't regret it for a second. It was the best financial decision for my family to avoid debt. I'm a believer in not putting yourself in more debt for an uncertain chance at a "career job". I know too many people taking 15-20 years to pay off student loans while I got out debt free.

My point is, don't stress education too much. I think street smarts are just as important as someone that has a Bachelor's degree. The US school system (including university college) is like a bubble to see how game you are to follow PC thought and integrate in society. I'm not saying go be a criminal and break laws (that seems to be the advantage of systematic education) but the disadvantage is it does not really encourage independent thought.

I had to keep the "student thought" and "office culture" at arms length when I was in it. I see office culture turn out to be exactly like high school and I get disgusted by it. I remember quitting a job after two days because I thought the office culture was too much like high school. I can't say exactly where I'll end up in life, but I don't think I'll be on the streets or in jail, I'll put it that way.

I think my point is don't stress about school too much. Hell, with more remote jobs popping up, home school or remote work is becoming a bigger and bigger option. There are ways out. But at the same time, I'm not a parent.

As far back as I could remember, I always wanted to be a player.

2018 New Orleans Datasheet
New Jersey State Datasheet

Always watch the doubletalk from SJWs, to them, diversity has nothing to so with "true diversity" - diversity of thought etc., it's about breaking down stable systems by exposing your kids to losers. Asian kids from hard working families won't trigger the "low income" clause of that system.

Sometimes I hear stuff like this and I wonder where all this American freedom is that I keep hearing so much about.

This sounds like something straight out of the USSR.

You could live in a crap-shack two doors down from your work and literally homeschool your kids yourself in the time you saved commuting.

The public will judge a man by what he lifts, but those close to him will judge him by what he carries.

Quote: (05-31-2018 11:13 AM)DarkTriad Wrote:  

Believe it or not, technology has made home schooling a thousand times more practical than it used to be. You're in a virtual classroom with a live teacher and group of their peers they still have some way interacting with. You do risk some social skills, but most states have laws that require them to to allow you to pick a school within a certain radius so you can play sports and do other extra-curriculars.

I would really worry about the social skills aspect even if you socialize them with other kids the other local kids are still going to treat them as a outcast.

I'm not arguing kids can't get a good education through home schooling and I'm sure unequivocally better than any current public school but success in the real world is 9/10ths social skills and network.

"American freedom" is a myth.

He's right, though and has some solid points. "Asians" aren't considered diversity, so let's be honest on who we are talking about here who qualify as "diverse." It's not even important that you are the very definition of the word "diverse," you have to be a particular kind of diverse.

You can see where this is going. Typical SJW bullshit.

The Atlantic is much better if you ignore everything published for their daily online content and only read the articles intended for print - which actually have editorial standards.

Reading the stuff meant for .com is like reading YouTube comments.

Hidey-ho, RVFerinos!

Quote: (05-31-2018 10:44 AM)Hell_Is_Like_Newark Wrote:  

Asians don't count (being serious) as being "diverse". Here in the magnet schools and other special programs, you have a harder time getting in as 'Asian' than as 'White'.

The Indians (we have a big Hindi community here) gamed the system by putting categorizing their kids as 'other'. That worked for a while until the classes again became majority Asian / Indian with whites being the next most represented group.

I forgot that the identity hustlers make it "lower income diversity", not just "diversity."

An easier way to get around that nonsense is to send your children to the local community college after they graduate high school for the first two years of their college education. Most community colleges have a guaranteed transfer admission agreement with all the public universities in your state, i.e. if they have good grades and complete their associates degree, Big State U HAS to accept them as a transfer student. That will save you money because community college is much cheaper and you can avoid the SJWs who work in college admission offices.

Quote: (05-31-2018 12:36 PM)Jetset Wrote:  

The Atlantic is much better if you ignore everything published for their daily online content and only read the articles intended for print - which actually have editorial standards.

Reading the stuff meant for .com is like reading YouTube comments.

If it was just an editorial, I would have ignored it. However, I have noticed over the past year this forced diversity push has been more and more evident. Two examples are the newly elected progressive mayors attacking the charter schools system as 'not diverse enough' and the other is the website Greatschools.org.

Greatschools.org in the past has been a good resource for reviewing public and private education options in your area. A few months ago I notices that previously highly rated schools had suddenly dropped dramatically. Greatschools explained that they had implemented a diversity quotient as part of their rating system, instead of just relying on silly stuff like graduation rates, test results, crime, etc....

The Greatschool people really drank the coolaid

It's clear social engineering. "Diversity" only means one thing. Asians don't qualify. Indians don't qualify. Latinos don't qualify. Any brown or white person under the sun does not qualify. If we can't make you do some thing you don't agree with morally, then we will force you legally.

We fucking went through this already... All the inner city schools became shit, so people moved to the suburbs. The "diversity" couldn't move so they stayed. Then the schools went to utter-ridiculous shit and people started bitching about why schools couldn't hire better teachers or afford equipment... Bloody nonsense. No one who is qualified wants to work there. It's a downward spiral.

Quote: (05-31-2018 11:42 AM)nola Wrote:  

I would really worry about the social skills aspect even if you socialize them with other kids the other local kids are still going to treat them as a outcast.

I'm not arguing kids can't get a good education through home schooling and I'm sure unequivocally better than any current public school but success in the real world is 9/10ths social skills and network.

Socialization is just a bogeyman used by homeschooling opponents.

The solution is simple: have them hang out with other homeschooled kids. Build a network of homeschoolers in your local community.

Or just find them ways to socialize through interactions with adults in the real world. Like how kids have socialized for 95% of history. The school system is a bubble that doesn't reflect the real world anyway.

Quote: (05-31-2018 02:00 PM)BlueMark Wrote:  

Socialization is just a bogeyman used by homeschooling opponents.

The solution is simple: have them hang out with other homeschooled kids. Build a network of homeschoolers in your local community.

Or just find them ways to socialize through interactions with adults in the real world. Like how kids have socialized for 95% of history. The school system is a bubble that doesn't reflect the real world anyway.

THANK YOU. I've been saying this for ages. It's like people that say the only way to make friends is to get along with co-workers in an office. Fucking bullshit. I have three jobs, all of them are solo work, yet I still find myself having almost free weekend day getting taken up by going out with friends because I either held onto them from past schooling or took advantage of alternative networking. We have the internet. It's not all evil. It's easier than ever to network, which is one of its biggest advantages.

Quote: (05-31-2018 01:12 PM)C-Note Wrote:  

Quote: (05-31-2018 10:44 AM)Hell_Is_Like_Newark Wrote:  

I forgot that the identity hustlers make it "lower income diversity", not just "diversity."

An easier way to get around that nonsense is to send your children to the local community college after they graduate high school for the first two years of their college education. Most community colleges have a guaranteed transfer admission agreement with all the public universities in your state, i.e. if they have good grades and complete their associates degree, Big State U HAS to accept them as a transfer student. That will save you money because community college is much cheaper and you can avoid the SJWs who work in college admission offices.

Also accurate and the exact route I took. I could've gotten into private and more expensive colleges if I wanted to, but again, the risk of debt was not worth it in my eyes. There's still some SJW's at these colleges, but I don't feel like there's as much influence. More of a mixed bag type of deal in views (at least where I ended up).

As far back as I could remember, I always wanted to be a player.

2018 New Orleans Datasheet
New Jersey State Datasheet

I'm curious about why you think homeschooling necessarily leads to poor social skills? Do you have studies to back it up, because I don't think it has any scientific backing. The opposite seems to be the case.

There are some basic social skills such as empathy and being part of a group, that are necessary, but a lot of other stuff is entirely context dependent. One typical argument made for these "diverse" public schools is that you need to learn to engage people of different classes and backgrounds. I think that is bs. It's wasted time and development on people you are not going to socialize with as an adult. It is much better to be around your social class, so that when you grow up, you fit right in and know all the social codes. That is how the upper classes do it. If it was really such a benefit to grow up "diverse", then rich people wouldn't send their kids to exclusive boarding shools.

Children are not biologically determined to be socialized in a modern institutional factory. Kids have grown up and become normal adults in much smaller settings such as villages and farms.

I think most people who homeschool would seek out other homeschoolers and have them get together frequently.

On the other hand, if your child is a minority ethnically, culturally or language wise, there is a huge risk of being bullied in public schools. Bullying is probably the single most predictive factor in poor self esteem and social skills as an adult.

Home schooling seems far more attractive to me in the current climate. I also have met several parents who homeschool and it's a much different group than you'd have thought. Maybe in the past, it was mostly marxists and strict christians, but those I have met are more likely to be well adjusted, well off, slightly conservative (if not politically).

IMHO, home-schooling is a gateway drug towards escaping to some intentional community ala the Amish. You can't shield kids from society forever.

^^^ no but you can try to shield them from leftist SJW brainwashing.

"Women however should get a spanking at least once a week by their husbands and boyfriends - that should be mandated by law" - Zelcorpion

Quote: (05-31-2018 02:25 PM)nomadbrah Wrote:  

I'm curious about why you think homeschooling necessarily leads to poor social skills? Do you have studies to back it up, because I don't think it has any scientific backing. The opposite seems to be the case.

There are some basic social skills such as empathy and being part of a group, that are necessary, but a lot of other stuff is entirely context dependent. One typical argument made for these "diverse" public schools is that you need to learn to engage people of different classes and backgrounds. I think that is bs. It's wasted time and development on people you are not going to socialize with as an adult. It is much better to be around your social class, so that when you grow up, you fit right in and know all the social codes. That is how the upper classes do it. If it was really such a benefit to grow up "diverse", then rich people wouldn't send their kids to exclusive boarding shools.

Children are not biologically determined to be socialized in a modern institutional factory. Kids have grown up and become normal adults in much smaller settings such as villages and farms.

I think most people who homeschool would seek out other homeschoolers and have them get together frequently.

On the other hand, if your child is a minority ethnically, culturally or language wise, there is a huge risk of being bullied in public schools. Bullying is probably the single most predictive factor in poor self esteem and social skills as an adult.

Home schooling seems far more attractive to me in the current climate. I also have met several parents who homeschool and it's a much different group than you'd have thought. Maybe in the past, it was mostly marxists and strict christians, but those I have met are more likely to be well adjusted, well off, slightly conservative (if not politically).

I have no kids so I've not done any research to back my thoughts on the matter.

I went to a private military boarding school from middle school through high school.

One thing I do know is the majority of people I went to college with, went to trade school with, served in the military with and have done business with were not home schooled.

I did know a few home schooled kids growing up and I can tell you they were not treated by the neighborhood kids very well. They were always considered weird especially these two brothers that were raised by christian evangelicals.

There are a lot of things you learn going to school with other kids that does not involve teachers, administrators or curriculum.

One major thing is learning how to manage relationships with other peers, social negotiations, overcoming other kids throwing bullshit at you, how to recover from making an ass of yourself in front of your peers the list goes on.

By the way I'm a conservative I still have to maintain relationships and negotiate with people that don't think like I do. Fuck one of my business partners is a bleeding heart liberal and I have to see him every fucking day and communicate with him. He pulls his weight and is smart in ways I'm not and willing to do things I'm not willing to do. I need him in my business and I very much appreciate his contribution to the company and my sanity.

By the way I'm in no way defending public schools I think they are fucked in every way.

I think a good compromise to home schooling if a father can't afford private schools is putting in the effort to teach their kids that their teachers are not heroes or intellectual gods. The father can introduce their kid to all kinds of ideas and literature after school. And if a Teacher tries to get in the way of that he can remind her she is a public servant and can fuck off at the local PTA meeting.

We can't all live in a echo chamber of like minded people. That's a very limiting place to attempt to live and likely won't result in anything good.

Also this is how the radical left and radical right think.

I never understood why parents are so scared to tell teachers that try to embed crazy shit in their kids heads to fuck off.

The Atlantic’s idea would backfire horribly.

It would give admissions preferences to those white people (affirmative action isn’t going anywhere) who have the most real world experience with other races and low income disfunction (they are the hardest and least likely to brainwash with SJW lies taught in college).

In addition, enlightened liberal Department of Education policy for the past 50 years has been to pack poor and minority students into white schools, with busing and magnet/charter school schemes. But, with a graduating class that is already well below 50% white, there aren’t enough white kids to go around.

Those white kids place into advanced placement and don’t interact with their classmates most of the day, like the way those Parkland kids who attended Holocaust class barely interacted with the Mexican rest of the school.

So the Atlantic’s proposal amounts to a preference for public school whites, even including rich public school whites who still don’t interact with diversity, over private school whites.

Quote: (05-31-2018 03:23 PM)nola Wrote:  

I did know a few home schooled kids growing up and I can tell you they were not treated by the neighborhood kids very well. They were always considered weird especially these two brothers that were raised by christian evangelicals.

There are a lot of things you learn going to school with other kids that does not involve teachers, administrators or curriculum.

That's because of content, not structure. Homeschooling itself isn't what made them weird. It's the fact that they were homeschooled by parents who made them weird.

Quote:Quote:

One major thing is learning how to manage relationships with other peers, social negotiations, overcoming other kids throwing bullshit at you, how to recover from making an ass of yourself in front of your peers the list goes on.

I never learned that. I was completely socially inept in grade school, and I was bullied too. Nobody taught me that it was okay to stand up for myself. Not parents, not teachers, not peers.

I think a good compromise to home schooling if a father can't afford private schools is putting in the effort to teach their kids that their teachers are not heroes or intellectual gods. The father can introduce their kid to all kinds of ideas and literature after school. And if a Teacher tries to get in the way of that he can remind her she is a public servant and can fuck off at the local PTA meeting.

We can't all live in a echo chamber of like minded people. That's a very limiting place to attempt to live and likely won't result in anything good.

Also this is how the radical left and radical right think.

I've been through elite academic institutions and they are some of the biggest echo chambers on the planet. I have such a visceral disdain for them that I don't think most people on this forum will ever have, because they have never been through that experience of disillusionment after studying your ass off to get in.

I think it's actually fine to send your kids to public school, provided that both you and your kids understand that you're going into hostile territory and act accordingly. Of course, I doubt that will last very long in today's climate. You'd probably have child protection services called on you for teaching your kids to be disobedient to authorities.

I never understood why parents are so scared to tell teachers that try to embed crazy shit in their kids heads to fuck off.

Because most parents, even (or especially) the most conservative, law-abiding ones, have been taught to just defer to the authorities. How many parents have the mindset to override the school's judgment on their kids' behaviors? I got in trouble during elementary because I was playing too close to a play area that was filled with water after rainfall. A supervising teacher told me not to go there, but I didn't listen to the warning and got a citation for it. My parents weren't too happy about it and gave me shit for getting in trouble, rather than giving the school shit for being so retarded.

BlueMark I went to an elite private school for a year and a half because I was a beast in football and my parents encouraged me to take the scholarship. I have disdain for those places as well it was the only time in my life I've really experienced classism. I made sure to get expelled year 2.

I hated the rich for over a decade before realizing my problem was with elitists.