rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

New Orleans mini-datasheet 2018

I lived in New Orleans for a long stint. My last visit was December 2017 for a week so I figured I'd throw up a mini-datasheet.

Quick overview:

New Orleans a drug infested, crime ridden city but if you're a 7 days a week party type or have less than a few days to stay I would highly recommend it.

It’s a obvious gem for people wanting to go on a insane drug induced or alcohol fueled bender on the cheap with few law enforcement consequences if you can keep your shit together.

It also has a totally unique culture/history in the USA, with a great live music scene and some of the best bar culture you could ever ask for.

Also, it's easy to get lost in the city because of how it's laid out along the river and old streets. Ask directions or flag down a cab / Uber if you get really turned around.

Taxis:

Uber is available. At the airport will be a $4 - $6 surge pricing.
Regular Taxis are cheap as well, you'll get in a line outside the airport and expect a $25 - $30 cab ride into the city.

Once in the City you can pretty much get anywhere worthwhile for under $5 - $10

If you end up out late at night, get a cab or Uber back to your hotel or apartment.
The city is dangerous and you can/will get robbed if you walk down the wrong street.

How to find Lodging:

AirBnB is good for a few days but usually overpriced for what you can get other ways.

Hotels are cheap in the city except during convention season which starts around October. It's still cheaper than many cities but there is a price surge around this time. I recommend you go during some major conference as it'll be ONS/SNL heaven.

Craigslist is a easy hit as there is weekly lodging for service people. Just tell the home owner you're moving there to work in service and you'll pay $175 - $250 for one week. You're pretty much living in a boarding house but you'll have your own private room/key with a shared bathroom. The conditions of the places range from dilapidated to fully renovated like 3 - 4 star hotel rooms.

Day-game:

Frenchman and the Quarter. There is no special method. Literally just talk to girls and open sets. Most of them will be drunk or open to party. I lived in the Quarter and Treme for a long time and I would get stopped at least 1 - 2 times a week walking to and from my office by girls. (usually drunk and looking for someone to hangout with)

Bars:

Everywhere in NOLA is hit or miss any day of the week but the good news is where you go there will be at least 10 - 15 options nearby within walking distance that will be happening. Aside from Duval Street Key West the Quarter is one of the most condensed watering holes in the USA some might say dirty 6th in Austin is comparable but they never spent anytime in NOLA. (I also lived in Austin) Dirty 6th in Austin is good for guys under 35, but NOLA is still many times easier.

Bourbon Street is worth taking a walk down and getting one drink someplace just to say you've done it, but don't make a night of it. The drinks are seriously overpriced, and most places cater to the tourist. turn left or right off of Bourbon and you'll find something you like.

Check out Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop Bar if you want someplace to start out.

Frenchman Street is a good place for a little more laid-back vibe and some live music.

Restaurants:

The notable famous places are Coops, Commander's Palace, Cafe du Monde ect...

There is a saying in NOLA that if a gas station sold bad food they would be closed down. My favorite fried chicken I'd buy at a shell station so I can confirm this. Locals take huge pride in their food, and you'll literally never have quite the same experience eating a meal after you leave NOLA.

The best food in NOLA by far are the after hours street vendors. If you venture on to Saint Bernard and into Treme or Frenchman you will be in after hours food heaven.

My friend says he had the best grilled sausage of his life from someone on the street with a bbq trailer and pickup truck.

Danger

New Orleans is VERY DANGEROUS CITY FOR RETARDED PEOPLE. I have had several friends murdered there. I have one living friend that was shot and paralyzed for life and another shot in the face and permanently disfigured. While I love all of them.... both dead and alive every single on of them went full retard at the time of their plights.

Don't fuck around New Orleans! just because you see a bunch of weak hipsters or SJW's. They do not venture into the 7th and 9th Wards, Central City and New Orleans East.

I open and concealed carried (legally) at almost all times there. In my first few months living in the 7th Ward I had to draw my weapon twice on thugs.

Most people are very nice (including criminals) and visitors should be fine. But ask a local how to get where you're going before you walk there. Most people get robbed walking between the Quarter and Frenchmen drunk.

Don't go into the grave yards after dark. Many wannabe gang banger's hang out drinking and smoking weed or crack behind the graves and are armed. They will try to fuck with you.

St. Roch which is becoming a popular spot especially now since the street car installation but is still dangerous for visiting drunks after hours. It will take a few more years for the gentrification to set in. St. Roch Market is great during the day.

Drugs:

I'm not a advocate of doing drugs but if you're going to do it stay inside the venue or buy them from a service person.

Come on man, use the search function. I just made one for this year about a month ago....

thread-67933.html

Nevertheless, I agree with much of your thoughts based on my observations. I walked solo in NOLA at night a few times so I definitely feel the sentiment about getting jumped if you go down the wrong block. I stayed heavily aware of this when I walked solo at night. Even Bourbon gets sketchy after 4 a.m. to be honest, especially on weekdays. I felt like NOLA was more dangerous during the week walking around at night then the weekend, curious if you would agree with that.

It seems like if you stay in the city center, safety isn't as bad. The area I was at didn't seem that bad compared to other parts of NOLA. Totally agree with your analysis on Frenchman too. Great laid back live music spot. All the hipsters seem contained over there too. As for food, how do you not mention the fried alligator?!

Drugs are a problem for sure here. Pretty much every local I met in a non-working fashion offered me coke, and that's just what they're upfront about. A younger me might've taken them up on it, but I've been down that rabbit hole with people like that to know it can end badly. Personally I agree about keeping certain locals at arms length, plenty of sketchy/poor/desperate people because of the local economy. Hell I hear a lot of local girls end up stripping or becoming prostitutes.

The vibe I got from NOLA is that it's a great party and hook-up city, may be good for living for a few months if you stay in the right area, but I don't think it'd be a city I'd want to stay in permanently or get a LTR girl from.

As far back as I could remember, I always wanted to be a player.

2018 New Orleans Datasheet
New Jersey State Datasheet

NOLA, i restrain myself from commenting on your posts because they are always so incredible. But you've done another great post, so i have to comment...( you're on a roll man).

New orleans is an incredible place, but also really messed up-- but you may get a kick out of this: https://youtu.be/4gN9vMF-AwA?t=6m49s .

edit 2: video starts at 0, but skip to 6:49 if you can for the lols. It's not funny of course, it's horrible in fact. But the teacher (who reminds me of Erin from "The Office") is either having a relationship with one of the students, or thinking that she can be "cool" and save some of the students--because she is going to parties.

Teacher, is maybe hanging out with students: "she will save them from their ways." --So to speak.

edit: been to New Orleans a few times, and it's def. messed up. But one of these cities that is fascinating if you can wrap your head around it. That's hard, lol.

edit 3: when I was in band, we played a show in the Superdome, it was one of the most sobering-experiences I've ever had in my life--definitely in the top 5. The Superdome had been re-done post-Katrina, and we were playing a show there. Depending on your viewpoint, this is a place where people had died due to negligence of the American Federal Government/ Louisiana Government/ City Government, etc. I felt really bad being there. Given the body count. I almost vomited before I got there...

edit 4: I know forum members don't really do empathy, but I was at Majdanek Concentration Camp (in Lublin, Poland) on Christmas Day a few years ago, and I was just sobbing for an hour with nothing stopping me from doing more... It's probably the worst experience I've ever had. (I missed my family and I felt horrible.)

Quote: (05-13-2018 09:00 PM)yankeetravels Wrote:  

Come on man, use the search function. I just made one for this year about a month ago....

thread-67933.html

Nevertheless, I agree with much of your thoughts based on my observations. I walked solo in NOLA at night a few times so I definitely feel the sentiment about getting jumped if you go down the wrong block. I stayed heavily aware of this when I walked solo at night. Even Bourbon gets sketchy after 4 a.m. to be honest, especially on weekdays. I felt like NOLA was more dangerous during the week walking around at night then the weekend, curious if you would agree with that.

It seems like if you stay in the city center, safety isn't as bad. The area I was at didn't seem that bad compared to other parts of NOLA. Totally agree with your analysis on Frenchman too. Great laid back live music spot. All the hipsters seem contained over there too. As for food, how do you not mention the fried alligator?!

Drugs are a problem for sure here. Pretty much every local I met in a non-working fashion offered me coke, and that's just what they're upfront about. A younger me might've taken them up on it, but I've been down that rabbit hole with people like that to know it can end badly. Personally I agree about keeping certain locals at arms length, plenty of sketchy/poor/desperate people because of the local economy. Hell I hear a lot of local girls end up stripping or becoming prostitutes.

The vibe I got from NOLA is that it's a great party and hook-up city, may be good for living for a few months if you stay in the right area, but I don't think it'd be a city I'd want to stay in permanently or get a LTR girl from.

Totally missed it. I would have posted onto your thread if I had caught it. Moderators are welcome to migrate it over to your datasheet. I just read it now, nice job.

Fried Alligator is not uncommon through much of the deep south, I grew up on Turtle, Alligator, different species of snake and even Iguana tails in the state I was raised.

I don't know the statistics of when robberies happen. NOPD has a crime map https://www.crimemapping.com/map/la/neworleans so much for liberalism. It's pretty telling of the issues there.

If you're a digital nomad or independently wealthy it's a fine/fun city to live in the US. I certainly would not try to (start) a life there. It's the kinda place you'd retire and live out your days maybe in Uptown somewhere. Eat and drink yourself to death on your last days. Be the grandpa all the grandkids want to visit when they get to college. If you also just want to live out your life on night game SNL/ONS's I'd say it's really fucking easy to do in NOLA but I'm getting to the age I don't feel like going out every night.

As far as finding a LTR there.... I'd agree with you. Every top tier local girl or transplant I dated living there were pretty unbearable. I'm no playboy but I'm not bad with women and lived there long enough to play the options. Only super hot girls I fucked there were European backpackers, tourist and fresh college grad career chicks during convention season.

Most of my friends with families and normal professional lives came from other parts of Louisiana and moved there with wives or girlfriends from their home towns. Many were Doctors, Lawyers, Teachers or worked for the Halliburton office there. Also a lot of offshore contractors fed up with living in the rural areas. (They are called company men) it's a common phrase to hear a local girl brag about when talking about her boyfriend or husband. (He's a company man) means he works in upper management in the oil/gas industry.

On thing note worthy is if you have a white collar job or own a company in NOLA you will have some serious status when dating. A lot of girls were refreshed that I did not work in service. My only push back from girls was I was a government contractor and it's a very liberal city. My more right leaning politics did not sit well with people in general, where as anywhere else in Louisiana I was normal.

It's also a pretty cheap place to live, and interesting to say the least. I'd argue it's the most interesting place to live in the US = to Key West. But Key West is very gay and most of the tourist and transplants are 40+ or retirees. Way more young horny tourist girls in NOLA.

Quote: (05-14-2018 06:08 AM)Dragan Wrote:  

NOLA, i restrain myself from commenting on your posts because they are always so incredible. But you've done another great post, so i have to comment...( you're on a roll man).

New orleans is an incredible place, but also really messed up-- but you may get a kick out of this: https://youtu.be/4gN9vMF-AwA?t=6m49s .

edit 2: video starts at 0, but skip to 6:49 if you can for the lols. It's not funny of course, it's horrible in fact. But the teacher (who reminds me of Erin from "The Office") is either having a relationship with one of the students, or thinking that she can be "cool" and save some of the students--because she is going to parties.

Teacher, is maybe hanging out with students: "she will save them from their ways." --So to speak.

edit: been to New Orleans a few times, and it's def. messed up. But one of these cities that is fascinating if you can wrap your head around it. That's hard, lol.

edit 3: when I was in band, we played a show in the Superdome, it was one of the most sobering-experiences I've ever had in my life--definitely in the top 5. The Superdome had been re-done post-Katrina, and we were playing a show there. Depending on your viewpoint, this is a place where people had died due to negligence of the American Federal Government/ Louisiana Government/ City Government, etc. I felt really bad being there. Given the body count. I almost vomited before I got there...

edit 4: I know forum members don't really do empathy, but I was at Majdanek Concentration Camp (in Lublin, Poland) on Christmas Day a few years ago, and I was just sobbing for an hour with nothing stopping me from doing more... It's probably the worst experience I've ever had. (I missed my family and I felt horrible.)

Dragan I actually know Julie the teacher at the end of the video (acquaintance only). She lived a few blocks away from me in the first area I lived. Never saw this video, thanks for sharing.

I'll refrain from saying anything very personal about her but I'll just say her interview does not reflect who she really is, but the song Hot For Teacher comes to mind (I'll leave it at that)

Any recs for bars outside of the quarter, like Garden District, Warehouse District, Tulane chicks, etc.?

Quote: (05-14-2018 10:31 AM)Hypno Wrote:  

Any recs for bars outside of the quarter, like Garden District, Warehouse District, Tulane chicks, etc.?

Garden District- remember there is an upper and lower GD closer you get to Uptown or Upper Garden Distict the more spread out it's going to get.

Rendezvous is good some nights mostly college age
Balcony's 20's - 30's
Rock Bottom for sluts

Warehouse -

Lucy's (maybe I picked up a chick there once but only went once)
Rusty Nail (hipsters)
Circle Bar (hipsters)

I kinda stayed out of the warehouse district unless a date worked in that area. There are a lot of startups there so the age group 22 - 30's after 7 - 8 most bars will have mini professional crowds and student interns.

For Students they are all over but you'll find higher concentrations of them in Uptown.

Closer you get to Audubon park the closer you'll be hitting UNO students.

Bars are very hard to gauge in NOLA. A good game tip is sniping girls. A lot of girls run solo in NOLA more than I've seen anywhere in the US. If you stay in pockets where there are a few places within walking distance you can usually find a decent looking lush sitting alone having a few drinks.

Irish Channel can be okay on weekend for students but I would not bet a night on that area.

Quote: (05-13-2018 11:50 AM)nola Wrote:  

AirBnB is good for a few days but usually overpriced for what you can get other ways.

Quote:Quote:

Danger

New Orleans is VERY DANGEROUS CITY FOR RETARDED PEOPLE. I have had several friends murdered there. I have one living friend that was shot and paralyzed for life and another shot in the face and permanently disfigured. While I love all of them.... both dead and alive every single on of them went full retard at the time of their plights.

Don't fuck around New Orleans! just because you see a bunch of weak hipsters or SJW's. They do not venture into the 7th and 9th Wards, Central City and New Orleans East.

I open and concealed carried (legally) at almost all times there. In my first few months living in the 7th Ward I had to draw my weapon twice on thugs.

Most people are very nice (including criminals) and visitors should be fine. But ask a local how to get where you're going before you walk there. Most people get robbed walking between the Quarter and Frenchmen drunk.

Don't go into the grave yards after dark. Many wannabe gang banger's hang out drinking and smoking weed or crack behind the graves and are armed. They will try to fuck with you.

St. Roch which is becoming a popular spot especially now since the street car installation but is still dangerous for visiting drunks after hours. It will take a few more years for the gentrification to set in. St. Roch Market is great during the day.

Thanks for the warnings. Can you tell me what zip codes to avoid?

I am heading to the Libertarian Party convention. I will arrive on Saturday 30 June and leave on Wednesday 4 July. The convention is at the vastly overpriced Hyatt near the Superdome. I am looking for something more reasonable. I'd like it to be within a half hour of the convention.

Thanks.

I am driving from Austin, so I will have a car with me.

I'm heading down there for a bachelors party in the near future, you arn't kidding about AirBNB being expensive as shit. Heck I could get a super nice condo in Chicago a "real city" for about a third of what a mediocre place in New Orleans is going for. Granted were looking for a place that sleeps 10 to 12 so that somehwat limits our options but still was shocked by prices for AirBNB

We have an AirBNB here. Is this a good neighborhood?

403 S Jefferson Davis Parkway New Orleans LA 70119

https://www.google.com/maps/place/403+S+...90.0970065

Quote: (06-06-2018 10:57 PM)puckerman Wrote:  

We have an AirBNB here. Is this a good neighborhood?

403 S Jefferson Davis Parkway New Orleans LA 70119

https://www.google.com/maps/place/403+S+...90.0970065

Good as far as nightlife? Or as far as not getting shot? It may have changed since I was there, but there was never too much night life around that hood except some odd locals type bars. When headed to the quarter don't walk or bike, there are some dangerous as hell projects between there and your place. Mid City, like much of New Orleans, can be fine on some blocks and then a couple blocks over you're someplace you don't want to be. Since you don't know which is which, keep your exploring to the well-trodden tourist paths.

I mean good with regard to safety. There are plenty of bars where I live. I don't need to go there to get drunk, and that is not my reason for going there.

Puckerman

I'd feel safe in that area. But as stated before you won't want to walk or ride a bike if you're going towards the French Quarter.

Nearish you (and day time walkable): Make sure to try Parkway Bakery for Po'boys. Bayou Beer Garden - if you walk in the front make sure to walk through to the outside back area! A buddy told me the best time he had in New Orleans was at India House Hostel.

You'll be close to Canal St and will have access to the street cars - $1.25 a ride and all day passes for $3.00 a day I think.

A couple of bars are right there at the intersection of Jeff Davis and Canal but I've never visited.

I got this from someone in the NO Couchsurfing group. It's a nice list:

NOLA FOOD GUIDE

NOLA means New Orleans, Louisiana
Creole: food in New Orleans, a melting pot of cuisines (mild)
Cajun: food developed by hunters, trappers, and fishermen in SW Louisiana (spicy)
Soul: African/American origin, Southern (salty)

Girl Power! Women Chefs of New Orleans

http://gonola.com/food-drink-in-new-orle...ew-orleans

What to Eat in New Orleans

http://nola.eater.com/maps/new-orleans-2...nic-dishes

https://nola.eater.com/maps

http://www.nola.com/dining-guide/

Find The Most Perfect Sandwich In The World In New Orleans (po' boys are baguette sandwiches).

https://www.southernliving.com/travel/lo...ew-orleans

https://www.southernliving.com/souths-be...estaurants

CHEAP EATS

http://gonola.com/2017/07/11/new-orleans...bucks.html

http://gonola.com/2016/07/12/cheap-neigh...leans.html

https://nola.eater.com/maps/new-orleans-...-food-nola

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/ex.../99687716/

http://gonola.com/2016/08/08/gonola-tops...rants.html

http://www.wdsu.com/article/get-your-che...s/12662273

HAPPY HOURS (afternoon discounts)

Oysters: http://www.nola.com/dining/index.ssf/201...leans.html

Note: from 2016. Some have closed. Call ahead before you go.

https://nola.eater.com/maps/best-new-orleans-happy-hour

http://nola.eater.com/maps/best-new-orleans-happy-hours

https://nola.eater.com/maps/best-new-new...appy-hours

FRENCH QUARTER

http://www.frenchquarter.com/must-eats-french-quarter/

https://nola.eater.com/maps/best-restaur...leans-nola

https://nola.eater.com/maps/30-essential...estaurants

Quick bites in the French Quarter:

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/e...88d5e.html

10 best restaurants in the French Quarter: Critic's Picks in New Orleans

http://www.nola.com/dining-guide/index.s...uarte.html

FRENCHMEN STREET & MARIGNY AREA

https://nola.eater.com/maps/best-restaur...leans-nola

LATE NIGHT

https://nola.eater.com/maps/new-orleans-...leans-nola

CAJUN (medium to spicy)

http://gonola.com/2017/06/12/where-to-ea...leans.html

ECLECTIC LIST from travel blogger (cheap/upscale, casual/fancy)

https://foursquare.com/noleftovers_/list...s-hit-list

VEGETARIAN / VEGAN / HEALTHY

https://nola.eater.com/maps/best-vegetar...ew-orleans

http://nola.eater.com/maps/vegetarian-op...ew-orleans

http://www.peta.org/living/food/vegan-new-orleans/

http://www.nola.com/healthy-eating/2017/...t_fre.html

https://nola.eater.com/maps/best-healthy...ew-orleans

GLUTEN FREE

https://nola.eater.com/maps/best-gluten-...ew-orleans

any classier bars/lounges in new orleans?

The fact OP has had more than 1 (he used the word “several”) friend get murdered in a small city is extremely sad and disturbing. Makes me rethink visiting New Orleans.

Even if one is “retarded,” that shouldn’t be a justification for literally getting killed.

Any suggestions on rental apartments in the downtown area? Moving to New Orleans in mid-2019.

I’ll be working near the Mercedes-Benz superdome and Poydras Street. I’m not crazy about the French Quarter, but I am trying to live walking distance from bars and a grocery store.