rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

International Job Portals

Have any of you had any experience using international job portals and expat job sites?

If not, have any of you tried to conduct an international career search in the past with either failure or success?

In what ways could the service, site, process, or results be improved or made more efficient?

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I've successfully placed all of my consultees into positions in Asia Pacific and I'm opening 3 spots for international career hacking consultations this month. Let me know if you would like to set up a conference call.

-YMG

You are on fire, man!

The biggest problem, as I see it, is language barriers (limited experience). I know Spanish but navigating Brazilian jobsites is a bitch for me. Guess I need more practice. I can see an opportunity in synergizing here.

A year from now you'll wish you started today

Have used eFinancialcareer, Exec-appointments and edie.net in the past to apply for jobs in energy/cleantech field. Got a couple of interviews but couldnt get beyond that. Also used a couple of recruiters like Harvey Nash, Allen & York, Michael Paige but they were not able to help me.

These things stand out

1) Applying from Asia to EU/Americas is difficult. It isnt not doable but it takes a ton of convincing the recruiters to look at your CV and give you a chance. OTOH, the reverse is easily achievable. Heck, even with Asia, making the transition to another Asian country is difficult because of language barriers.
2) The sites used their own custom search engine. Dont know if that can be improved as it would be great to use Google to optimize site search.
3) One thing I liked about eFinancials and Exec-appointments is that the results were presented cleanly (though it depended on the keywords used) with minimal ads interfering in the results. Edie was very cluttered but then the site is constructed poorly with lots of information. Would have preferred a clean layout as opposed to lots of info on the front page.

YMG- I joined internations.org. It seems to be a good website to meet expats abroad. Members usually list the company they are employed with, so you can work from that. They have monthly meetups in some cities. Might be worth a look.

Not sure this is exactly what you asked for but this site has a lot of info (and jobs):

http://jobs.goabroad.com/

Quote: (09-25-2011 05:53 PM)gig Wrote:  

Not sure this is exactly what you asked for but this site has a lot of info (and jobs):

http://jobs.goabroad.com/

Hi Gig,

This is exactly what I asked for:

Have any of you had any experience using international job portals and expat job sites?

If not, have any of you tried to conduct an international career search in the past with either failure or success?

In what ways could the service, site, process, or results be improved or made more efficient?

i.e. I am aware of the plethora of portals - I've seen goAbroad before - and all the others.

The system and industry of international recruitment is broken.

I met with the CFO of a large Asia-regional hotel chain in Kuala Lumpur last week. He told me something along the lines of "any idiot from a western country who speaks English, has a bachelors, and shows up, would be able to become the marketing/communications manager at one of my hotel branches.....I would even cover his room and board, so his salary would be cash in his pocket."

That kind of shit happens everywhere in Asia and I assume other emerging markets. There is no transparency and a lot of it requires simply showing up and knowing the right people. However, not everyone can take the risk of showing up and it is certainly harder to get the right network.

A lot of the content of my consultations and products relies on some sneaky and highly unorthodox stuff. It really should not have to be that way, though.

I want to destroy the current status quo in the emerging market careers and recruitment system, which I find to be a massive failure. Managers are complaining about their desperation to find foreign talent, foreign talent is complaining about their desperation to find a job, and somehow HR/Recruiters/Headhunters are making money.

There must be a better way.

I want to drive the HR/Recruitment industry in emerging markets out of business - my vendetta is so intense that I would actively enjoy watching their families go hungry on the streets.

Last consultation spot open now! PM me.

Remember, this is for Asia specifically.

This is the last round of free consultations I will ever do, as they are increasingly taking up too much of my time.

What I need from you:

-Up to 3 specific cities in Asia you are interested in
-Up to 3 specific industries you are interested in
-A list of 10 or more specific companies you are interested in
-A bit of a background story would help

http://www.guidepointglobal.com/index.html

Quote: (09-26-2011 01:38 AM)youngmobileglobal Wrote:  

I want to destroy the current status quo in the emerging market careers and recruitment system, which I find to be a massive failure. Managers are complaining about their desperation to find foreign talent, foreign talent is complaining about their desperation to find a job, and somehow HR/Recruiters/Headhunters are making money.

There must be a better way.

I want to drive the HR/Recruitment industry in emerging markets out of business - my vendetta is so intense that I would actively enjoy watching their families go hungry on the streets.

YMG, did you ever manage to make this happen? If so, I would be VERY interested in finding out more.