rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Realistic Foreign Movies

Realistic Foreign Movies

What are some good, realistic movies from other countries? I'm trying to find films that show how it really is in everyday life so I can tease myself some more.

Realistic Foreign Movies

http://www.filmmovement.com/filmcatalog/index.asp?

http://www.filmmovement.com/index.asp?

They have some really good foreign films. Your public library may have copies of their films. I've watched a few of them, but it's been quite a while since the last time. Illegal was pretty decent.

Also, some more that come to mind:

Croatia: Fine Dead Girls

Bosnia and Hercegovina: Grbavica

Belgium: Ben X (It made me wonder just how similar Belgian culture is to American culture)

Russia: The Italian

Hello.

Realistic Foreign Movies

My favorite. Flying silverware? Not so sure..

Realistic Foreign Movies

Tropa de Elite

Realistic Foreign Movies

Spain:
Pagafantas
Celda 211(not everyday life but interesting)
Mar Adentro
Todo sobre mi madre
Volver
Ágora

Mexico:
Y tu mamá también
Amores Perros
Por la Libre
Matando Cabos(Comedy)

Argentina:
El secreto de tus ojos

Brazil:
Tropa de Elite 1
Tropa de Elite 2
Cidade de Deus
Central do Brasil

Realistic Foreign Movies

City of God, my all time favorite film, it's a must watch, every human emotion is felt and reflected.

Best recent film I've seen is, "No one knows about Persian cats", it's about the underground music scene in Tehran, very powerful stuff.

Realistic Foreign Movies

El secreto de tus ojos - Highly recommended.

Realistic Foreign Movies

Hong Kong - Infernal Affairs (movie the Departed was based on).

Realistic Foreign Movies

I just watched Tambien La Lluvia, it's about an uprising by indigenous Bolivians against a corporation controlling and diverting the scarce water supply. It was riveting.

Another movie that was really good was Sin Nombre. It was a story about a girl making her way up by train from central America through Mexico and into the United States. Her and other migrant workers stowed away on top the train. There was a lot of drama along the way to say the least. Even though I'm opposed to illegal immigration, this film does a good job of showing the hardship that drives people here.

Saw a Brazilian film called The Middle of the World about the true story of a poor family that leaves their village headed to Rio in search for more opportunity. They rode 2,000 miles by bicycle and the story is about their adventure along the way and the many troubles they ran into.

Hotel Rwanda, about the genocide in Rwanda of course

The Last King of Scotland staring Forrest Whittaker was pretty good, it was about the shit that was happening under Uganda's dictator Ida Amin. It is something of a historical fiction. The main character was fictitious but the events happening were real.

Realistic Foreign Movies

Check out El Infierno, great Mexican Narco-flick. And from Spain Biutiful, kinda heavy, but good.

Realistic Foreign Movies

Serbia:
-Klopka : life in post-milosevic serbia
-Decko koji obecava : boring plot, but a window on yugoslavia's fledging new wave music scene in the early 80s. Many shots of belgrade. A hipster favorite.
Would skip most stuff by Kusturica as it's more on the surreal side.

Realistic Foreign Movies

The 400 Blows

[Image: MV5BMTI5NjU3NjY4Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTYx...4,317_.jpg]

A movie so far ahead of it's time, it could be considered prophetic. It's about a young boy growing up in Paris with a mother who does not love him, and the consequences.

This film is basically an early prediction of what the welfare state would become in all Western countries, as well as a chilling indictment of the culture that produces such a welfare state.

This film is nothing short of an explanation of how the West dies.

Contributor at Return of Kings.  I got banned from twatter, which is run by little bitches and weaklings. You can follow me on Gab.

Be sure to check out the easiest mining program around, FreedomXMR.

Realistic Foreign Movies

El Salvador- "Salvador". Stars James Woods and Jim Belushi. Based loosely on a true story.

Realistic Foreign Movies

Quote: (09-22-2011 10:42 PM)ea303 Wrote:  

El secreto de tus ojos - Highly recommended.

Seconded. Amazing movie... I made my sister watch it with me a second time.

Realistic Foreign Movies

9 Reinas ------- Argentinian

Realistic Foreign Movies

Quote: (09-23-2011 08:17 AM)BalkanCynic Wrote:  

Im a huge fan of Kusturnica. Even if it wont tell alot about EE, his masterpiece docu about Maradona is a must see.

Realistic Foreign Movies

Quote: (09-23-2011 05:19 PM)Snok Wrote:  

Quote: (09-23-2011 08:17 AM)BalkanCynic Wrote:  

Im a huge fan of Kusturnica. Even if it wont tell alot about EE, his masterpiece docu about Maradona is a must see.

They're surreal in some respects but also capture the Yugoslav experience and history exceptionally well. Check out Kusturica's Underground if you're interested in that part of the world.

"A flower can not remain in bloom for years, but a garden can be cultivated to bloom throughout seasons and years." - xsplat

Realistic Foreign Movies

If you want really gritty realism from Denmark check out the Pusher Trilogy. Some of the best gangster films I've seen in any language; they're a very realistic depiction of the Copenhagen underworld.

Check out the trailer:

"A flower can not remain in bloom for years, but a garden can be cultivated to bloom throughout seasons and years." - xsplat

Realistic Foreign Movies

Quote: (09-23-2011 05:51 PM)Caligula Wrote:  

If you want really gritty realism from Denmark check out the Pusher Trilogy. Some of the best gangster films I've seen in any language; they're a very realistic depiction of the Copenhagen underworld.

Check out the trailer:

Agreed.

I have seen all three.

One of the few trilogys I can think of where every movie was dope.

They were all made years apart as well which makes it even more surprising.

Realistic Foreign Movies

Uhh what the fuuuuuck. I signed up for Netflix on my ps3 but it doesn't have any of these movies!!

Realistic Foreign Movies

Italian
Bycicle Thief
Gomorra

Deixa que essa fase é passageira, amanhã será melhor você vai ver a cidade inteira seu samba saber de cor!

Realistic Foreign Movies

Quote: (09-23-2011 08:24 AM)Samseau Wrote:  

This film is basically an early prediction of what the welfare state would become in all Western countries, as well as a chilling indictment of the culture that produces such a welfare state.

You mean the welfare from the taxpayers to the Military-Industrial Complex which Republican President General Eisenhower warned us about, right? The welfare we give them by spending as much on our "defense" as the whole rest of the world combined spends on theirs, right?

Luckily we've avoided that truly pernicious, evil welfare curse of having universal healthcare. Now THAT would be the last straw. The only patriotic thing to do would be to kill all doctors collaborating with the Soschilists allowing health care. Kill 'em. Sometimes a patriot has to stand up and fight, against those miserable, health-care providing Soshulists.

Realistic Foreign Movies

No One Knows About Persian Cats
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_One_Know...rsian_Cats

Download: http://btjunkie.org/torrent/No-one-Knows...41a3453590
Subtitles: http://subscene.com/english/No-One-Knows...88145.aspx

A film about the music scene in Tehran (Iran) and how the oppressive government keeps musicians underground. If you're curious about life in Iran then you'll like it.

The Color Of Paradise
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0191043/

Another Iranian movie. The most touching film I've ever seen. It's.. life.

Movies like this that make it hard for me to watch fake shit that comes out of Hollywood.

Realistic Foreign Movies

From Taiwan: 'Yi Yi: A One and a Two' about a family living in Taipei dealing with everyday problems. I liked this movie a lot.

From Japan: 'Okuribito (departures)' about a cellist taking an Eta job of preparing dead for funerals. To understand this movie better read up on Eta jobs in Japan. It stems from medieval times where Eta caste of people where the ones dealing with dirtiest or "unclean" jobs. It still holds true to a certain extent in their modern society. A very good movie also.

Realistic Foreign Movies

If we're talking about Iranian films, I can't help but recommend Children Of Heaven (same director as Color of Paradise)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118849/

It's a movie about two kids and a pair of shoes. Not gritty or flashy, just touching. I've watched it several times. The whole movie is on Youtube broken up into a 15 min parts.