rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Woman Engineer Says We Need More Women In STEM, Her Bridge Collapses And Kills People

Woman Engineer Says We Need More Women In STEM, Her Bridge Collapses And Kills People

This article is backtracking and updating to say Leonor Flores never worked on the bridge in question, despite references in the piece about her showing her family "her work".

Multiple people are dead after her company's new bridge connecting Florida International University and Sweetwater collapsed:

[Image: 4159e4d176c8bac8435350fc6678d193]

https://news.fiu.edu/2018/03/community-g...eet/120395

Quote:Quote:

“It’s very important for me as a woman and an engineer to be able to promote that to my daughter, because I think women have a different perspective. We’re able to put in an artistic touch and we’re able to build, too.”

If she had nothing to do with the bridge construction, why the hell is she quoted in the article? Why is she so proud of sharing "her work" with her family?

She's a project executive yabbering on about diversity and the company's bridge collapsed.

Sounds like someone should have been looking at schematics more and not talking about genitalia.

She was excited to share her work with her family, especially Michelle, who is interested in STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) in school.

Michelle said she might want to follow in her parents’ footsteps and go to FIU when the time comes, and that it was fascinating to see her mom’s work in action. “I’m interested in the architecture and the design of the bridge, and the math portion of it,” she said.

Born Down Under, but I enjoy Slovakian Thunder: http://slovakia.travel/en/nove-zamky

Feminism has burned too many bridges.

Just forwarded to a purple-pilled engineer friend of mine. I bet it's gonna fry his circuits.

It gets worse...

"Leonor Flores, the Project Executive in charge of our Educational Division, presented in front of an amazing group of minority subcontractors at an outreach event organized by the Broward County Public Schools. Thank you for inviting us Broward County Public Schools! #WeAreMCM"

https://www.facebook.com/WeAreMCM/posts/...4703520500

Born Down Under, but I enjoy Slovakian Thunder: http://slovakia.travel/en/nove-zamky

LOL, so if "The Future is Female" our cities will soon resemble Mogadishu...

[Image: diversity-is-our-5aabef.jpg]

[Image: jFMbhiz.jpg]

Take care of those titties for me.

similar theme: https://www.thedailybeast.com/silicon-va...harassment

I'm pretty sure the big red smear over the word "Strength" is ATF fluid, but it looks gruesome nonetheless.

The Facebook post says she was in charge of the "Education Division" which means she may not have been directly involved in the bridge design, but may have been previously trying to take some credit for it like women (and some men) do all the time to inflate their image. In fact, if the company promoted to her chief of the "education division" it may be an example of one of the ways that companies laterally promote incompetent people out of a place in which they could do some real damage.

Well, she finished a year ahead of schedule...

You are putting the full blame on this woman's shoulders based on a friendly interview with the woman's 12 year old daughter, who was evidently encouraged by the reporter to say she wants to follow in her mom's footsteps when she grows up, and a marketing post on the general contractor's Facebook page from 2016? You've never been asked by a stranger what your company does, and respond "we/I make _____" even though in reality, you aren't physically doing it yourself?

Even if this project did fall under her personal umbrella of responsibility wayyyy up the ladder, do you know how many other entities are involved in a $14M bridge? Multiple engineers who are subcontracted out, OSHA trained foremen who's job is to make sure safety protocols are followed, city inspectors who can't wait to fine field teams who are cutting corners (if they aren't being greased), regular concrete strength testing, etc. This bitch isn't on site with a hard hat watching her site supervisors' every move.

I'll probably be called a white knight or something, but unreasonably anti-woman gossip posts like this come off salty as hell.

Some of these ideas are dangerous, but in her defense she killed as most 6 people.

Marxism has killed more than 60 million counting.

Build a bridge and get over your preconceived notion of gender roles

Oh......

I hate to be a party pooper, but this type of disaster is hardly ever due to one single person's failure. A project like this goes through multiple layers of review from both the vendor / builder side and the municipal / buyer side. The permits required for this type of project dictate the design and installation pass through pretty rigorous and multiple evaluations by civil and structural engineering on both sides.

That means the catastrophic failure was more likely preceded by a series of cascading failures that led to it.

Look at the diagram of the finished design:

[Image: T2XUIF4WUE2ZVJWB2IZVFOR2UQ.jpg]

Here's a vido of last weeks installation of the bridgeway

Now here's a vido of the collapsed bridge

The project was only partially completed. What's missing? Only the suspension system whose primary purpose is to stabilize the compression (at top) and tension (at bottom) forces of the horizontal bridgeway

The NTSB had been told construction workers were on the bridge at the time of the collapse, said Robert Sumwalt, chairman of the National Transportation Safety Board.

Concrete is very strong as long as it is static / stable but vibrations and dynamic forces (such as during continued construction) can cause it to fail

They will spend weeks (if not months) and $millions on the failure analysis but the likely conclusion will be that the bridge way without the suspension system should have never been left without temporary support while it was finished. In other words this was an installation process lapse not design failure

"Leap, and the net will appear". John Burroughs

"The big question is whether you are going to be able to say a hearty yes to your adventure."
Joseph Campbell

I’ll reserve judgement until the results of the investigation are made public. It’s either an engineering/structural failure (poor design and material usage), or an execution failure (builders and installers fucked up). Regardless, if my time in the industry is an indicator, the blame will get pushed back and forth until people forget about it.

There was still no reason to be stress testing the structure at that time of day... Stress testing is the last thing you do if anything is going to happen it will then. You test at like 2.5 times the safety factor which is normally 5 times actual conditions. Someone was way overconfident to do it at that time.

Did anyone really think this woman went and personally built this bridge, by herself, with no one else involved? Of course not.

The point is that the people pushing these "women in STEM" narratives and similar ideas willfully promote incompetence to the point that they can't even fulfill their basic responsibilities, like building a small bridge in the [current year] that doesn't fall and kill people.

Quote: (03-16-2018 12:19 PM)porscheguy Wrote:  

I’ll reserve judgement until the results of the investigation are made public. It’s either an engineering/structural failure (poor design and material usage), or an execution failure (builders and installers fucked up). Regardless, if my time in the industry is an indicator, the blame will get pushed back and forth until people forget about it.

With 6 fatalities the only certainty in the final outcome is that some lawyers just hit lottery tickets

"Leap, and the net will appear". John Burroughs

"The big question is whether you are going to be able to say a hearty yes to your adventure."
Joseph Campbell

Quote: (03-16-2018 12:26 PM)PapayaTapper Wrote:  

Quote: (03-16-2018 12:19 PM)porscheguy Wrote:  

With 6 fatalities the only certainty in the final outcome is that some lawyers just hit lottery tickets

[Image: bettercallsaul.gif]

"Stop playing by 1950's rules when everyone else is playing by 1984."
- Leonard D Neubache

Why not just build a simple girder steel walkway? Judging from that picture showing the bridge's ends, it doesn't appear like it was connecting anything important to merit such a massive construction.

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

Quote:[url=https://twitter.com/RealSaavedra/status/974819147631665152][/url]

Quote: (03-16-2018 11:45 AM)Eddie Winslow Wrote:  

You are putting the full blame on this woman's shoulders based on a friendly interview with the woman's 12 year old daughter, who was evidently encouraged by the reporter to say she wants to follow in her mom's footsteps when she grows up, and a marketing post on the general contractor's Facebook page from 2016? You've never been asked by a stranger what your company does, and respond "we/I make _____" even though in reality, you aren't physically doing it yourself?

Even if this project did fall under her personal umbrella of responsibility wayyyy up the ladder, do you know how many other entities are involved in a $14M bridge? Multiple engineers who are subcontracted out, OSHA trained foremen who's job is to make sure safety protocols are followed, city inspectors who can't wait to fine field teams who are cutting corners (if they aren't being greased), regular concrete strength testing, etc. This bitch isn't on site with a hard hat watching her site supervisors' every move.

I'll probably be called a white knight or something, but unreasonably anti-woman gossip posts like this come off salty as hell.

None of us put the "full" blame on her. All we're probably saying (I can't speak for all) is that this company was giving too much thought to minorities/women "issues", even without this bridge collapse.

I don't recall anyone saying that Leonor Flores poured the concrete after mixing it with Plaster of Paris to save costs.

In reality, however, you take one look at MCM's Facebook page and see the mindless minorities/women in STEM pandering they have resorted to and you start to realize that this company was putting resources, not just verbal support, into SJW nonsense.

They're thorough with political correctness, but evidently not with real-life construction. If one person made a mistake it still does not change the fact that multiple people should have been on point to double- and triple-check.

So Leonor Flores is head of the "Educational Division". Why the fuck, other than to promote health and safety (or actual engineering proficiency), would this company need an educational division?

This is going the same way as the "Female Vegan Tries To Climb Mt Everest, Dies" thread: thread-55952.html

Quote: (05-21-2016 11:28 PM)Soma Wrote:  

Quote: (05-21-2016 11:16 PM)Beyond Borders Wrote:  

Why are you guys immediately pointing the finger at veganism?

Are we now supposed to conclude that every person who dies of altitude sickness on Mount Everest was a vegan?

Was the Dutch guy who also died on Saturday also a vegan (I honestly don't know)?

[Image: party-pooper.jpg]

This thread wasn't meant to be that serious.

The same engineers designed a bridge in Virginia that collapsed during construction

NORFOLK, Va. (WTKR) – The pedestrian bridge that collapsed at Florida International University in Miami Thursday was designed by the same engineers that worked on a Virginia bridge that collapsed during construction, according to WTKR.

Figg Bridge Engineers submitted plans for a new, privately-funded South Norfolk Jordan Bridge that were approved on January 27, 2009.

Construction on the South Norfolk Jordan Bridge was put on hold after a truss used to build the bridge shifted, which sent a 10-foot, 90-ton piece of concreted crashing down to the railroad tracks below in June 2012. Four workers were injured in the incident.

The new bridge finally opened to traffic in late October 2012.

The original Jordan Bridge was located at Poindexter Street in South Norfolk and crossed the Southern branch of the Elizabeth River. It opened on August 24, 1928 as a toll bridge and cost $1.25 million.

“Our deepest sympathies are with those affected by this accident,” FIGG Bridge Engineers, the company hired to design the bridge, wrote in a statement to CBS News. “We will fully cooperate with every appropriate authority in reviewing what happened and why. In our 40-year history, nothing like this has ever happened before. Our entire team mourns the loss of life and injuries associated with this devastating tragedy, and our prayers go out to all involved.”

Miami-Dade Mayor Carlos Giminez said that at least one person died and six were hospitalized after the collapse.

CNN reported that the bridge’s span was just installed Saturday, but construction on the bridge was not yet finished.

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard
"I just want to live out my days drinking virgin margaritas and banging virgin señoritas" - Uncle Cr33pin

delete

Seems like a plausible theory to me, from an actual engineer (although not a bridge builder):

"I'd hate myself if I had that kind of attitude, if I were that weak." - Arnold