rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Google's recent changes to Images is the last straw for me--I quit google

If you go to google images and try to hit "view image" you'll find that the button is no longer there. This is because Google is doing some sort of deal with Getty Images, who owns the copyrights to a lot of big images, and one of the conditions of the deal was to get rid of view images, because it was causing people to avoid paying the royalities for the images found on google search.

When products lose functionality, something is clearly wrong. I've always been annoyed by the fact that tech companies get rid of features and services that we find useful. On another level, i've been dis-satisfied with google for a long time, because of their monopoly on search, excessive lobbying, whining about net neutrality, nsa cooperation, and vested interest in the military industrial-complex.

I've already switched over to duckduckgo search, and if you are looking for a service that keeps view image, maybe Bing would be a good option for you. Also, Google apparently got rid of the search by image feature as well.

Adios google!

Right click > Open Image in New Tab

Getty Images is a trash company who sues naive mom and pop businesses/websites for using their images without copyright. This is bs because 1) Getty Images doesn't use watermark like all other stockphoto companies and 2) they use lawfirms to make crazy demands, when they full well know it won't hold up in court. They will ask for 3-5K USD for using one single image, when in most countries, such a case would not make it to court at all if they removed it. And if it did make it to court then it is more likely to be a few hundred dollars in penalty,

I think this isn't about Getty wanting less copying at all, they probably just want Google to feature them more without paying for it. I was already very annoyed by how many Google Images had turned into stockphotos. I bet Google is allowing some companies to pay them to appear in the image results.

Or just install this Chrome extension:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detai...lccemkghjk

Quote:Quote:

Re-implements the Google Images' "View Image" and "Search by Image" buttons.

ViewImage adds the "Search by Image" and "View Image" buttons back to the google images results page.

"I'd hate myself if I had that kind of attitude, if I were that weak." - Arnold

Fuck Google because of its propaganda, SJW lunacy, tax evasion, spying, etc... if image search is what's making you quit, I daresay you're doing it wrong.

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

I've been using Bing for my searching needs for some time now. Google image search has some sucky code that bottlenecks routinely and slows down my computer for a spell.

Bing never causes those issues.

You can thank Microsoft, because Bing provides the services I need to continue filling RVF with snarky memes.

I'm the King of Beijing!

There is always a way to get the image unless the image binary is resting on the page itself.

I have switched to Duck Duck Go for general searching. Very satisfied. They do not track your searches, at least that's what they claim. I was getting sick and tired of targeted advertising from using Google. I still use Google to compare search results but I do it in anonymous mode.

In addition I don't use Chrome. It is very bloated and memory inefficient. Firefox is the way to go. Eventually I will stop using Gmail and switch to my own private email server hosted on a reliable cloud platform outside the country with a fair and private service level agreement and terms of service.

Just understand that the "cloud" is not a magical infrastructure, it's just somebody else's computer. However, the right provider can give you much better service and reliability for good price. You pay only for what you use. This is why so many businesses have switched to cloud for their computing needs.

In today's world we have to remain connected to live and work but there are ways to mitigate privacy risk.

Quote: (02-18-2018 08:33 AM)ivansirko Wrote:  

There is always a way to get the image unless the image binary is resting on the page itself.

Then you just print-screen and paste it into a paint program.

Quote: (02-18-2018 10:11 AM)questor70 Wrote:  

Quote: (02-18-2018 08:33 AM)ivansirko Wrote:  

Then you just print-screen and paste it into a paint program.

I am unsure about the Getty images but any image that comes from Giphy has a link to the real image inside of the HTML code (you wouldnt need to do a print screen).

The below is orginally from a getty image. Its actually pointing to AWS (Amazon) but the image itself can be viewed by

1. Go to the page.
2. Right Click > Hit inspect
3. The "src" is what you are looking for. You can also probably right click and indicate "show image on new page".

As long as the src has something related to "jpg" or "gif" you should be fine. This one had additional information in it beyond the .jpg i believe it was "?123094" or something like that. Remove that and there you go.

[Image: TrainLead-GettyImages-709136379.jpg]

One other thing, I agree with the OP. Stay away from Google.

Im still trapped in Chrome usage but I've been attempting to migrate everything to Epic browser. Lack of auto fill is a bitch and I'm not 100% on Dashlanes effectiveness.

Quote: (02-18-2018 08:47 AM)monsquid Wrote:  

Eventually I will stop using Gmail and switch to my own private email server hosted on a reliable cloud platform outside the country with a fair and private service level agreement and terms of service.

No need to wait, get yourself a free Proton Mail account.

Any cloud alternatives to gmail's?

I'd rather ditch gmail but for my work (images) it's useful to have them 15 gb of storage.

We move between light and shadow, mutually influencing and being influenced through shades of gray...

Quote: (02-18-2018 07:28 AM)Handsome Creepy Eel Wrote:  

Fuck Google because of its propaganda, SJW lunacy, tax evasion, spying, etc... if image search is what's making you quit, I daresay you're doing it wrong.

I already had halfway given them up was using duckduckgo most the time, was just using google for image search.

Quote: (02-18-2018 12:23 PM)tawm Wrote:  

Im still trapped in Chrome usage but I've been attempting to migrate everything to Epic browser. Lack of auto fill is a bitch and I'm not 100% on Dashlanes effectiveness.

Brave browser - same Chromium engine and interface, no spying.

However, despite the same engine there is no "import bookmarks" functionality, so that can be a real hassle when making the switch.

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

What are some good alt-tech sites/service?

I think the time of alt-tech has arrived.

I use TOR for anything where i want to avoid tracking.

Quote: (02-18-2018 03:06 PM)Dragan Wrote:  

Tor is good, but not ideal for general day-to-day browsing. VPNs are better because they're faster and you can pick a location you want to appear to be from. PIA, Mulvad and AirVPN are good options that take your privacy seriously. Never use a free VPN and never buy a VPN based only on one review site. You want several independent sources to confirm that the VPN doesn't log information about you. What I tend to look for are services run by people with an "activist" mindset, meaning simply that they are pro-privacy based on principle rather than as a selling point.

Other Alt-Tech:

VeraCrypt - For encrypting your hard drive or SSD. If someone steals your laptop, they can take out the hard drive, connect it to their computer via USB and read all your files. Full Disk Encryption will prevent this. NEVER forget your password. ALWAYS read the manual before doing something. ALWAYS back up your files before your start. I didn't include a link because you should do some research before using it anyway. Clicking mindlessly through it could easily lock you out of your computer.

KeePass - An encrypted password database. A file that stores a list of all your passwords. The file is encrypted and is unlocked with a password that you remember. This is now the ONLY password you have to remember because all the others are stored in the file. The big benefit of this is that you can have a unique, strong password for every site or program that you use. One of the biggest threats is using the same password for several online services. We all do this and we all know we shouldn't. KeePass is the solution.

ProtonMail - Secure(ish) e-mail address that most likely doesn't spy on your or require a phone number to sign up. They have a free and a paid version. If you sign up with Tor, you might have to give a phone number because they get a lot of people creating one-off e-mail addresses.

Bloody Vikings (Firefox) / Chrome - Consolidates several free disposable e-mail addresses so your main address doesn't get spammed or shared with the service provider. Just right-click the e-mail field when you sign up, select Bloody Vikings and choose a disposable e-mail provider. A unique address will be filled into the form field and a new tab opens where you can check the inbox.

Mozilla Thunderbird - From the guys behind Firefox. Can replace Outlook or Gmail.

Monero (XMR) - Private and anonymous version of Bitcoin. Bitcoin is not anonymous and all payments are public on the blockchain. This is not the case with Monero. There are other so called "privacy coins," but Monero is the best established one.

HexChat - IRC Client. Alternative to mIRC. If you use IRC on a regular basis, you probably don't need to take tech tips from me.

StartPage - Like DuckDuckGo, it's a search engine that takes its results from Google. Also has a proxy service so you can see the site without actually going to the site in your browser. Never use free proxies, but in this case it doesn't matter because the search engine will always be able to tell which link you clicked on the results page. They also must know what content is on the site you clicked because otherwise they can't serve you the search result. Startpage has been around for many years and I've never heard anything bad about it.

GPG Encryption - A way to encrypt the contents of e-mails or files before sending. It's a fairly complicated topic that requires some research before using. I put it last because it's not really as useful as you would think. The reason for that is that very few people actually use it or know how to use it. End-to-End encryption only works if both participants know how to use it. To use a real world example: I could send you a locked safe with 100,000 dollars, but unless you have a key to it, the safe is useless to you. On the other hand, if we both have a key, we can be reasonably sure that the postman won't steal it because he couldn't open it anyway.

CRUCIAL BROWSER ADDONS:

uBlock - Blocks ads, is very lightweight and can be configured extensively. Read the manual before starting advanced configuration, as it can be tricky to troubleshoot why sites suddenly don't load if you mess something up. Works great out of the box, though, so 99% of people shouldn't need to change anything.

HTTPS Everywhere - If there's an encrypted version of the site available, this add-on will ensure your browser uses it.

Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen.

Quote: (02-18-2018 03:06 PM)Dragan Wrote:  

And keep in mind just using TOR can get you flagged. If you're going to use it, make sure you're getting in from a public access point.

Quote: (02-18-2018 09:08 PM)Running Turtles Wrote:  

uBlock - Blocks ads, is very lightweight and can be configured extensively. Read the manual before starting advanced configuration, as it can be tricky to troubleshoot why sites suddenly don't load if you mess something up. Works great out of the box, though, so 99% of people shouldn't need to change anything.

Fantastic data sheet. Small addition:

make sure the uBlock you use is "uBlock Origin". There is another uBlock floating around which is no longer maintained.

Duckduckgo is not an alternative if you are trying to avoid google or safe guard your privacy. Look into the company itself. The founder does not come from a history of caring about peoples privacy, he sold his old social networking site to another company that wanted the emails and data associated. I dont know how something with such a shitty name and lack of sincerity got so big.

*Cold Shower Crew*
*No Fap Crew*
*150+ IQ Crew*

If you want to get out of the Gulag, all the links in my sig is a good start.

I heard DDG is owned by Yahoo, so use with care.

Just act as if you cheat on your wife, then take steps to hide all your info from her (and her lawyer).

Protect Your Privacy
>>>Get A Burner Laptop Now<<<
Secure Email - https://protonmail.com/
Privacy Tools - https://www.privacytools.io/
Opt out of global data surveillance programs - https://prism-break.org/en/
TAILS OS - https://tails.boum.org/
Tor Project: Anonymity Online - https://www.torproject.org/