rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Pittsburgh Datasheet

Pittsburgh Datasheet

Note:
I want to be clear that I found the Yinzers in Pittsburgh to be a great bunch of people. I'm just not wild about the ones who chose to move to DC.

TL;DR:
Given what I have heard elsewhere and have experienced with their sisters in DC, women in Pittsburgh are surprisingly attractive and have decent attitudes. The potential for setting up good logistics via airbnb is quite good. However it is not as affordable as advertised. While definitely worth visiting for some gaming and the very high quality tourist sites, one should be careful before considering moving there.

Introduction:
I visited Pittsburgh on Veteran's Day weekend (mid November) of 2017.

I had a few motives:
I wanted to get out of town.

I also wanted to see a new city that I had never been to in order to explore it.

But most importantly, as a DC native, I wanted to find out why Pittsburgh has caused me so much heart ache and heart break over the last 16 years.

Many people from Pittsburgh and Cleveland have moved to DC over the last 20 years.

"How many?" you might ask. Enough that there were at least allegations in the local DC papers that the back when the Washington Capitals were mediocre they used to automatically decline website purchases with credit cards having Pittsburgh zip codes because they were sick and tired of playing away games at home due to all the Penguins fans in the stands.

The women who have moved from there and other places in the inner rust belt (Syracuse, Buffalo, Detroit, but especially Cleveland and Pittsburgh) contribute greatly to making gaming and dating in DC a lousy experience with their mediocre looks and their energy sucking attitudes. As well, the many Pittsburgh girls who end up in DC are often 5s who are chubby enough to become 4.25s.

Even the forum's founder, Roosh, has at least indirectly mentioned this (go to 3:28).

While the picture in the video focuses on northern Ohio and Cleveland, it becomes obvious to a DC native that Cleveland and Pittsburgh share many similarities due to so many girls of both moving to DC who have similarly poor characteristics and often mention having close relatives in both cities.

While Roosh complained about girls from NJ as well in the linked video, in my experience while they might be boring, they are at least fun, not quite as fat, and will at least eventually get to physical stuff, if not right away.

In addition to my and other DC mens' bad experiences, former major league baseball player Lenny Dykstra on the Adam Carolla Show told a story about how generally unattractive Pittsburgh women were in his playing days.

I wanted to discover what made Pittsburgh generate so many women low quality women and then send them to DC.

Pittsburgh surprised me.

Then I discovered that the forum did not have a Pittsburgh datasheet. So, I decided to make one. It might not be the best but I hope that it is at least a good start.

So let's get to the part everyone wants to hear about.

Girls:

Looks:
Pittsburgh is much more white than many American cities. As well, the girls are much more attractive than I had been told before visiting. While I did not see any stunners like I did in Nashville, there are definitely a lot of 6 to borderline 8 brunettes and blondes. They were noticeably more attractive than the women I saw in Kansas City.

As well, Asian girls are significantly more attractive than I am used to seeing in American and Canadian cities. If one were to strictly use the boner test (0 = no boner, 1 = boner), I'd say they were somewhere between 15 and 20 percent more attractive than average.

If the sisters are you thing, I have to say that I wasn't impressed and would recommend one look elsewhere to cities like Atlanta or Charleston, SC.

There are Indian Sub continent girls but I did not see any attractive ones.

I have no recollection of seeing any Latinas, Middle Eastern-West Asians, or other races at all.

While Pittsburgh has an obesity problem like everywhere else in the USA, it did not seem out of line with the American average.

Attitudes:
Again, I was surprised by my visit. DC is notorious for being a mecca of white girls from the Cleveland-Akron-Youngstown-Pittsburgh (CAYP) corridor with
absolutely rotten attitudes that contribute greatly to the city's miserable dating environment. I did not get any bad attitudes and even got some mild IOIs. I did a few openers, which didn't go anywhere but at least they were neither unpleasant nor energy sucking like opening CAYP girls in DC.

While their attitudes do not match the ones of girls in Dallas, they were at least OK.

The Competition:
If you're hoping to see 6's with trolls in Pittsburgh, you're going to be disappointed. There are a lot of tall good looking guys in Pittsburgh. That being said, I did frequently see very cute girls with average looking guys of average height. As well, those tall good looking guys tended to be a lot more friendly towards me than I am used to, which hinted to me that the competition is not too bad.

Given that I was expecting Pittsburgh to be Toronto-Lite, a nightmarish land of tall handsome intelligent men forced to develop game 1.0 and mediocre to sometimes breathtakingly ugly women, I was over all pleasantly surprised.

Where to find the girls:
The neighborhoods where I found the girls were:
  • Market Square - a pedestrian square downtown
  • Oakland - home of the University of Pittsburgh, the Carnegie Institute, and Carnegie-Mellon University
  • Lawrenceville - a residential neighborhood several miles NE of downtown
  • South Side Flats - a night life neighborhood south of downtown across the Monongahela river
  • South Hill Villages Mall - a shopping mall many miles south of the city.
Market Square (Downtown):
There is not that much game wise in Downtown Pittsburgh except for Market Square. It's definitely worth a stop to day game girls at places like the Starbucks. I wouldn't bother with any of the happy hours there or nearby. If I was just visiting, I would make it part of seeing the downtown architecture, Point State Park, and the inclines on Mt. Washington.

Oakland:
This is a few miles east of downtown. It is where the University of Pittsburgh, The Carnegie Institute, and Carnegie-Mellon University are. While CMU is notorious for its women for it being the school for the nerds not quite bright enough to get into MIT (they test self driving robots on the footpaths - no I'm not kidding), Pitt has surprisingly attractive girls. If classes are in session, it is definitely worth stopping by for day game. I didn't do any night game there so I can't definitively say if its worth staying there.

Lawrenceville:
This was described to me as Pittsburgh's answer to DC's U St. While I'm not sure that's how I would describe it, I would definitely check it out. It's a residential neighborhood with a lot of bars and restaurants and reasonable talent.

South Side Flats:
This is the biggest night life area of Pittsburgh. It's south of Downtown across the river. This was definitely the place that I saw the best night talent. I don't know how great it was for opening because it was really cold and I was tired when I was there.

South Hill Villages Mall:
This is a typical American shopping mall that is south of Downtown Pittsburgh. I actually had to buy some stuff on a tight schedule when I went, so I didn't get to do any gaming. However, there was definitely significant talent there. Interestingly, the only people I really spoke to there, were a white couple where the girl was from Western New York but had lived in DC for the last 10 years. I made a point to be polite but to end the conversation first.

I stayed in Bloomfield while I was there, which is between Lawrenceville and Oakland. I do not recommend it for gaming. The talent did not measure up to the other places that I went. I picked it because of its location. Since I wanted to explore, I do not regret my choice but probably would stay in South Side Flats next time.

Boring but important stuff:

Getting there:

Flying:
Pittsburgh has a major airport with significant service from low cost carries such as Southwest and Spirit. However, it has very few international flights. If you are coming from another country, you're probably going to have to change planes after arriving in the USA to get to Pittsburgh.

If you do fly, make sure to take the 28X bus into town and back to the airport. Uber is expensive while the bus is $2.75. Traffic can be very bad on the airport highway, especially once you get close to the city and the tunnels going under Mt. Washington. The bus uses an exclusive Bus Rapid Transit road for the part near the central city. The bus leaves about every 1/2 hour.

Also, when you leave, remember that there is an oddly located second security line. There are signs for it that will get you there. Follow them carefully because it is not in an intuitive location.

Train:
There are a couple of Amtrak trains that go to the city. However, unless you use the Philadelphia train (The Pennsylvanian), I would skip using the other train since it arrives in the middle of the night.

Driving:
Many interstate highways intersect at Pittsburgh, so if you live within 400 miles you should consider driving there. Pittsburgh has surprisingly good roads for Pennsylvania, a state which normally has infamously poor designs and endless road work. However, be warned. Yinzers drive very fast for the USA and Canada east of Chicago, and very aggressively by USA standards overall. Unlike farther out west, which has broad straight roads, Pittsburgh highways wind and are on the narrow side, especially in the central city. It can be a little terrifying if you're not used to it.

Also, make sure if you drive that wherever you stay has parking. I give an explanation for why in the next section.

Getting Around:

Driving:
I do not recommend driving to get around the city. The roads are extremely confusing due to the geography of rivers and mountains. Waze seemed to work, but I'm guessing you would still have problems if you were not familiar with the area.

Parking is also scarce due to the geography making the streets unusually narrow for the USA. Street parking is some of the worst that I have ever seen in a major American or Canadian city. Pittsburgh street parking difficulties match if not exceed those of cities such as NYC, DC, SF and Boston. I joked that there are probably ancient Italian cities with better street parking than Pittsburgh.
While I did not check, I suspect paid parking is very expensive.

Uber:
I did not see a single taxi while I was in Pittsburgh, including at the airport, so you'll have to use ride sharing. Uber is very pricey given the economy of Pittsburgh, somewhat exceeding even DC on a per mile basis. While Uber is testing self driving cars in Pittsburgh, I only saw one while I was there and did not get to use any of them.

Public Transport:
Pittsburgh buses are surprisingly good for the United States. The buses have routes that are fairly direct, do not stop multiple times per block, are clean, and generally arrive on time. They have somewhat high fairs at $2.75 a ride, so look into getting a day pass. By using the public transit function on google maps, I found using the bus to work very well during the day.

There is a street car, but it's slow. It's pretty much only useful for getting from downtown to the stadiums north of the Allegheny River and to the South Hill Villages Mall. Only if you have time to kill and are curious about what the Pittsburgh suburbs look like, would you might want to take the streetcar south. If you have a certain mindset, though, it is actually pretty interesting. Most American suburbs depend on an abundance of flat land so the modifications that the Pittsburgh metro area require are very unusual.

Where to stay:
Do not stay in Downtown. While it is not as bad as it used to be according to reports, it is largely a 9 to 5 ghetto, clearing out at night and on weekends. I would try to stay in Lawrenceville or the South Side Flats. Oakland might also be a good idea but only if Pitt is in session. Airbnb makes these places accessible, since these areas generally do not have hotels. However, be aware that the airbnb may be in poorly built housing.

The Weather:
It's said that in Pittsburgh you can experience all 4 seasons in one day. That's not much of an exaggeration. If you are going to game, make sure it's a time of year where you won't mind the temperature straying as much as 20 degrees in either direction from the annualized average. It was supposed to be in the 50s when I was there but was instead in the mid 30s, which even with the correct clothing really hurt my game.

Costs:
Pittsburgh has a reputation for being very cheap. This must be for paying rent or mortgages, because the expenses for being a visitor were surprisingly high.

Uber costs slightly more than DC. An uber from the airport to one of the eastern neighborhoods is over $40. I am not sure if this is due to Pittsburgh's awkward geography or dealing with the taxi commissions or some combination of the two.

Hotels were not outrageously expensive but I saw no deals either like I got in Atlanta. I ended up paying over $120 a night to stay in an airbnb that while very large was essentially a slum.

Gas in the Bloomfield neighborhood of Pittsbugh was $2.89 a gallon on Veteran's Day weekend 2017. In Arlington, VA, across from DC, it was 40 cents less when I looked a week later. This is in the city that literally invented the petroleum industry and has significant oil infrastructure.

Minus chick free dive bars, restaurants serving alcohol are just as expensive as DC.

The only place where I saw savings were hole in the wall restaurants that did not serve alcohol. Their prices were about 30% less than DC.

Do not expect to get any deals beyond mom and pop sandwiches while you are there. Though it was nice to finally be able to go to proper dive bars again, since they have been pretty much eradicated from the DC area.

Food:

Primanti Bros Sandwiches:
Primanti Bros is a Pittsburgh sandwich chain that is noted for putting the fries on the sandwich. I feel bad saying this, but these are really only meant to be enjoyed drunk, for which they are great.

Hours:
A lot of the places that sell traditional Pittsburgh food close at 5PM, so do not plan on having dinner at them. I was sadly not able to have either Polish food or chip chop sandwiches as a result.

Seeing the Sites:
Pittsburgh is physically spectacular. It is a major American city that has been buried and blasted into 3 mountain ranges. If the city had not had the perfect combination of natural resources and navigable waterways at the exact right time of the American Industrial Revolution, no one would have ever built a city there. But they did and the result, a massive metropolis built around 3 rivers, cliffs and crevices, is really something to see.

If you have ever been to Chongqing, China, Pittsburgh is the American version of that city, at least before the 3 gorges dam finished filling.

It is absolutely worth taking the time to go up and down the two inclines on Mt. Washington south of downtown both during the day and at night. You should also take the time to walk around Point State Park.

Because of the wealth that Steel, Oil, Banking, and Ketchup brought to the city by 1900, there are a lot of beautiful buildings. It appears that because of collapse of Steel in the 1970s, the city did not have the money to build new buildings when other cities were having their historical architecture obliterated for brutalist eye sores, so things got preserved. Downtown has a lot of pretty buildings.

Make sure to go to Oakland where Pitt and the Carnegie Institute are. The architecture is spectacular, including the Heinz Chapel, a tiny gem of a gothic church that rivals many in Europe, and the Cathedral of Learning, which is a skyscraper styled like a gothic cathedral. The Carnegie Institute has a Natural History Museum which matches DC's and exceeds New York's, as well as an art museum which has one of the world's best collections, including one of Monet's water lilies.

I would skip CMU, which has surprisingly dull architecture.

Make sure to at least see the inclines, Mt. Washington, downtown, and Oakland including its museums while you're there.

The Vibe:

While Pittsburgh fared better than many rust belt cities during de-industrialization, it still got hit very hard.

White urban working class and white urban poverty:
Poverty isn't just a minority thing in America. There are plenty of poor whites as well, of whom you'll see a lot in Pittsburgh. Tough jobs that one is used to seeing being performed by minorities in other US and Canadian cities, such as restaurant work, public transport, construction, and road work, are often done by whites in Pittsburgh.

Really rough on the edges:
While there are spectacular buildings and churches in Pittsburgh often built on hill crests, they are often surrounded by neighborhoods where the housing stock is of very low quality. I stayed in an old neighborhood with old houses called Bloomfield. Those houses were poorly built sometime before WW II or possibly even WW I. No amount of renovation could make them very nice.

The street lighting is shockingly poor for an American city, especially once you get off main thoroughfares. I walked through neighborhoods at night in the eastern part of the Peninsula where I had to strain my eyes. When I was Ubering down highways along the rivers at night, I was surprised at how few lights I could see on the other side.

The Collapse of the Airport:
I remember changing planes a few times at the airport in the later 90s and early 2000s. At the time, it was hailed as a shining example of good airport design and for good reason. It was a bustling place that was well built and well managed.

When I flew in this time I was stunned.

I knew that USAir abandoning the airport as a hub had hurt it but I did not realize how badly. When my plane landed before 9 PM, the airport was already a ghost town. Almost all the stores were closed in the terminal. What looked bright and new in 2002 now looked faded and in need of a renovation in 2017.
The arrivals pick up area was utterly deserted at 9PM on a Thursday night. When I flew out on a Sunday afternoon, the airport felt largely empty, with few customers at the stores and many boarding areas deserted or blocked off. Out of the window I saw an entire side of one of the airports piers that had absolutely no planes parked at it. I read later that they had even demolished its once very nice commuter plane terminal.

If you want to understand how Donald Trump flipped PA red and won the election, you would make a wise choice by visiting Pittsburgh and its surroundings.

Civic Pride: Why it's not all bad for Steeltown, USA:
Despite its problems, Pittsburgh has a lot of civic pride, and not just for the Steelers and Penguins. Yinzers love their city's colors of yellow and black and insist that many of their bridges across the 3 rivers be painted that way to the point of spotlessness. This has a big side benefit that Pittsburgh bridges do not have anywhere near the amount of rust I am used to seeing on most American bridges.

As well, they are fighting for their airport. While it may be having hard times, it is clean and everything works. They bothered to create a regular and reasonably direct bus route to and from the airport, which is far from guaranteed in the USA. A few European budget airlines like Condor and Wow now fly there. If you fly out of there, use the alternative security that I mentioned above. I at least was struck by how clever it is.

Pittsburgh still has a lot of fight in her.

Should you go?

Should you go there to game?:
Probably. It definitely should not be your first, second, third, fourth, fifth, or even sixth choice if you are considering the entire United States but if you are within 6 hours driving distance or can score cheap plane tickets then I think that it would be worth trying. Thanks to airbnb and the nature of Pittsburgh's housing stock, it would not have the logistics problems that I have run into in otherwise more promising cities like Dallas.

Should you move there?:
That seems iffy to me. I'd be very wary of wages not matching the cost of living even after one considers housing prices. As well, the quality of much of the housing stock is very poor in the neighborhoods where you would want to live in order to game. The girls, while much better than I expected, do not justify making sacrifices to your career and/or material well being.

Should you go as a tourist?:
Absolutely. The city is a wonder to see. It's filled with breathtaking views, great museums, architecture, and other sites while providing a true slice of Americana. The nightlife, while not earth shattering, was quite solid. However, go when the weather is reliably warm.

Should Roosh go?:
The forum's founder made the problem of DC women known world wide. A very big reason for this is the seemingly endless swarms of frumpy fives from the Cleveland-Akron-Youngstown-Pittsburgh (CAYP) corridor who move to DC.

If Roosh wants to pull a Jason Bourne, he could come back to this part of America to have his V Ultimatum, where he investigates the heart of the rust belt (CAYP) in order to discover a significant part of what created him.

I do think that a very big reason of what makes the DC dating scene so bad is hidden somewhere around the 3 rivers and the shores of Lake Erie. My inability to gain any insight into why during the trip disappointed me greatly in what was otherwise a great weekend getaway. My only thought is maybe CAYP women have to go through 4 years of SJW-Cultural-Marxist nonsense at Penn State, Ohio State, or colleges like Oberlin to become the refuse sent to DC. However, that's just me guessing.

While I would love to see Roosh go, I'm not sure it could be easily done. Unlike Toronto, which smacked him in the face within hours of his first arrival, just staying for a few days or even a week I doubt would be enough time to figure it out. He would have to stay for at least a month in either Cleveland or Pittsburgh in my estimation while trying to make connections to the CAYP diaspora in DC and also make contacts at Penn State and Ohio State. Essentially, he'd have to be willing to put in the work and resources necessary to write both "Bang Pittsburgh" or "Maybe(?) Bang Cleveland". I'm not sure that's something he would really desire to do or even find feasible. That being said, if he ever wants to fully understand DC and his origins, a big part of that lies at the source of the Ohio river.

Conclusion:
Pittsburgh girls are no where near as bad as some have described. Physically, they are generally at least OK to reasonably good and their attitudes, while not the greatest, are decent. Their sisters who have moved to the DC area are not a good reflection of them. While there is competition that can't simply be dismissed, I suspect that a decent study and practice of game is enough. Pittsburgh certainly has none of the severity or brutality of Toronto-Occupied-Ontario or Denmark.

At least in the USA, the city is easy to get to and the cost of visiting, while not cheap, is quite bearable. Using airbnb, good logistics for someone visiting should be possible, but be aware of the general low quality of housing. One should be cautious about moving there for the long term due to possible hidden costs that might not be immediately obvious.

If you want to see a really spectacular place with some exceptional and uniquely American sites while gaming as well, Pittsburgh would be a great choice, but go when it is reliably warm.

... And somewhere hidden in the hills and mountains along the 3 rivers lies part of the making of RooshV ...

Pittsburgh Datasheet

GREAT Datasheet. If its baseball season, make sure to check out PNC Park, the most beautiful stadium in all of baseball.

This site captures the city in all its glory-
http://pittsburghskyline.com

If you are looking to relocate, here is a great site-
https://www.nextpittsburgh.com

Pittsburgh Datasheet

I was impressed when I went for a couple weeks for work back in 2015, too. It's a fun, college town. Plus, with all the unis...you're bound to find some decent girls (though in America, as always, attitude is questionable).

Pittsburgh Datasheet

While Pittsburgh fared better than many rust belt cities during de-industrialization, it still got hit very hard.

With the possible exception of Buffalo, there was no city harder hit in the 1980's than Pittsburgh. In fact the Pittsburgh area lost population in the booming 1960's. An over reliance on steel and ancillary business cost Pittsburgh dearly. Pittsburgh also never had an entrepreneurial culture like rust belt giant Chicago, so when it fell it came down hard.

The row house style architecture of neighborhoods like Bloomfield, Lawrenceville, and South Side is similar but not identical to what you see in Philadelphia and Baltimore. It is for the most part over a century old.

Pittsburgh women are very underrated, in fact Pittsburgh is one of the most informally friendly metro areas in the country. A bit suffocating in a provincial way, but you will be hard put to find friendlier people anywhere.

I was born in Pittsburgh, left in early childhood and returned as an adult in the 1980's to experience the economic horrors of that decade. Can't tell that to some on this site who think all of us boomers led a charmed life. Anyway I will not digress further. The OP is for the most part highly accurate and informative.

Pittsburgh Datasheet

Excellent data sheet.

Pittsburgh is very underrated. Shockingly scenic, dirt cheap cost of living (average studio is about $600 and the studios downtown start at about $800, although I’m not aware of the hidden costs you mention), and very friendly, down to earth people.

[Image: 1b4273f6931db054a253d524a131b3d6--aerial...rgh-pa.jpg]

Pittsburgh Datasheet

Quote: (02-12-2018 09:54 AM)Scorpio Rising Wrote:  

With the possible exception of Buffalo, there was no city harder hit in the 1980's than Pittsburgh. In fact the Pittsburgh area lost population in the booming 1960's. An over reliance on steel and ancillary business cost Pittsburgh dearly. Pittsburgh also never had an entrepreneurial culture like rust belt giant Chicago, so when it fell it came down hard.
I was born in Pittsburgh, left in early childhood and returned as an adult in the 1980's to experience the economic horrors of that decade. Can't tell that to some on this site who think all of us boomers led a charmed life. ...

Wow, I didn't know that. I always figured that Detroit got the absolute worst of it. I guess the fact that Pittsburgh's downtown and surrounding neighborhoods didn't become abandoned wastelands made me assume things weren't quite so bad.

Sorry about that mistake.

Pittsburgh Datasheet

I'm from Cleveland. CAYP is quite possibly the most depressing shit place to live in the country. It's the rusty armpit of America. You'd think in cities such as Akron and Youngstown the people would be ultra down to earth, but in reality, they are arrogant. It is like a weird way for them to overcompensate because they feel like small fish living in depressing, decrepit cities. Not exactly sure the psychology behind it; it could be because the majority of them don't travel a lot, so they believe that the way they behave is "normal" when in reality it is very extra. The ratios in these cities are some of the worst I have ever come across in my entire life and the women are extremely average. Some of the best "nightlife" venues in Youngstown are literally 80 percent men on the average Saturday night, and the guys are brutish as fuck (it is not uncommon to see a couple of bar brawls per night) while the women are also on the brutish side. From what a buddy of mine has told me, Youngstown is a very cliquey city which also doesn't help at all with meeting local women, I would imagine Akron is quite similar. Not to mention the weather in this region during the winter blows and quite literally lasts almost until the end of April. Stay away unless you absolutely need to come or are just curious to see small-town America for a short period of time.

Pittsburgh Datasheet

Quote: (02-12-2018 06:21 PM)beta_plus Wrote:  

I was born in Pittsburgh, left in early childhood and returned as an adult in the 1980's to experience the economic horrors of that decade. Can't tell that to some on this site who think all of us boomers led a charmed life. ...

Wow, I didn't know that. I always figured that Detroit got the absolute worst of it. I guess the fact that Pittsburgh's downtown and surrounding neighborhoods didn't become abandoned wastelands made me assume things weren't quite so bad.

I didn't mean to nitpick, your post was very informative. Downtown Pittsburgh has many architectural gems. As late as the 1970's downtown (dahntahn in Pittsburghese) was a rocking happening place. Then came some major construction and road projects followed up by a horrific recession in the early 80's and the downtown area never quite recovered until recently when gentrification and younger professionals moving in has began to turn the tide. In the early 1980's the Pittsburgh Post Gazette did a series on the decline of the steel industry in the area which peaked in the mid 1950's. I know people love links but IIRC correctly Pittsburgh jobs totals in 1979 were not surpassed until the early 90's. When you watch an NFL game and the Steelers are on the "road" you invariably hear some dumb announcer state about how Steelers fans "travel well." The truth is a five or more decades long diaspora has left ex Pittsburghers living from coast to coast. Most of my cousins who did the best economically left the area for greener pastures. A damn shame because the Pittsburgh area is a great place in many ways.

Pittsburgh Datasheet

Quote: (02-13-2018 02:18 PM)Scorpio Rising Wrote:  

Quote: (02-12-2018 06:21 PM)beta_plus Wrote:  

I didn't mean to nitpick, your post was very informative. Downtown Pittsburgh has many architectural gems. As late as the 1970's downtown (dahntahn in Pittsburghese) was a rocking happening place. Then came some major construction and road projects followed up by a horrific recession in the early 80's and the downtown area never quite recovered until recently when gentrification and younger professionals moving in has began to turn the tide. In the early 1980's the Pittsburgh Post Gazette did a series on the decline of the steel industry in the area which peaked in the mid 1950's. I know people love links but IIRC correctly Pittsburgh jobs totals in 1979 were not surpassed until the early 90's. When you watch an NFL game and the Steelers are on the "road" you invariably hear some dumb announcer state about how Steelers fans "travel well." The truth is a five or more decades long diaspora has left ex Pittsburghers living from coast to coast. Most of my cousins who did the best economically left the area for greener pastures. A damn shame because the Pittsburgh area is a great place in many ways.

Heh. I have had this thought for a long time: If I ever meet Dave Damashek in real life, I will try to convince him to make an NFL Network "Football Life" or ESPN "30 for 30" about the Pittsburgh diaspora's impact on pro sports, local politics, and society in the USA. If you could get the NFL, NHL, and MLB to cooperate you could just have quick establishing play shots followed by long broad lense crowd shots of Pittsburgh fans in various cities.

Pittsburgh Datasheet

Quote: (02-12-2018 12:53 PM)Dagger20 Wrote:  

Excellent data sheet.

Pittsburgh is very underrated. Shockingly scenic, dirt cheap cost of living (average studio is about $600 and the studios downtown start at about $800, although I’m not aware of the hidden costs you mention), and very friendly, down to earth people.

My background is in Economics and Finance with some studying to be an actuary, so I often look at the world as a combination of the percentage of risk and penalty to be paid for losing. One thing about Pittsburgh that struck me is that it seems if you are truly white collar you'll be fine, but if anything happened like a major shift in the job market and you have to switch to blue collar or service work for a bit you'll be in a heap of trouble, unlike other places I've been such as Charlotte or Dallas.

As well, when costs that should be at least somewhat lower than what is sometimes ranked as the most expensive metro area in the lower 48 (DC) are not, such as gas, uber, and nightlife, that makes my spidey sense tingle.

Pittsburgh Datasheet

Yinz dont' forget to brush up on yer Picksburghese n'at before going:

Pittsburgh Datasheet

A hundred years ago, Pittsburgh was the equivalent of what Silicon Valley is today. There were steel mills and other industries. Westinghouse was one of those companies, which pioneered those industries. Westinghouse rivaled General Electric.

On 2 November 1920 (Election Day), the first radio station in the country began broadcasting. That was KDKA, and it still uses the same call letters today.

The fortunes made in Pittsburgh are still alive in many of the organizations that were funded by the likes of Andrew Carnegie and families like the Mellons and Heinzes. They funded art institutes, galleries, and other organizations which still survive.

I saw Macbeth on stage in Pittsburgh. Our high school literature class made a trip there, and the actors included Glenda Jackson and Christopher Plummer.

Pittsburgh was once a very segregated city with many ethnic neighborhoods. The city absorbed many immigrants in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of them came from eastern and southern Europe. From 1870 to 1920, the population increased by a factor of seven. They settled in neighborhoods like:

Polish Hill
Bloomfield (Italian)
Hill District (African American)
Troy Hill (German)
Spring Hill (German)
Garfield (Irish)
Greenfield (Slovak and Hungarian)
Larimer (Italian)
suburb McKees Rocks (Ukranian)
suburb West Homestead (Slovak)
South Side (Slovenian)
Squirrel Hill (Jewish)

Pittsburgh has a character and an attitude that would surprise most who don't know the city. It will definitely surprise you in some pleasant ways.

Pittsburgh definitely saw its population and fortunes decline after World War Two. Some corporations moved out of the city. Others simply saw their fortunes decline.

This certainly shows in the airport. The new terminal opened to much fanfare in the early 1990's, although it has hardly been utilized. USAir de-emphasized its hub there, as they also have long had a hub in Philadelphia.

Finally, I can't mention the city without mentioning the Kennywood amusement park. It's one of the oldest in the country, still featuring roller coasters made of wood. You can visit easily in a single day. They allow you to bring your own food in a picnic basket if you like. It's a throwback to an earlier and simpler time. It's also the thing that displaced Pittsburghers seem to miss the most.

Pittsburgh Datasheet

Quote: (02-22-2018 01:02 AM)puckerman Wrote:  

Pittsburgh was once a very segregated city with many ethnic neighborhoods. The city absorbed many immigrants in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of them came from eastern and southern Europe. From 1870 to 1920, the population increased by a factor of seven. They settled in neighborhoods like:

Polish Hill
Bloomfield (Italian)
Hill District (African American)
Troy Hill (German)
Spring Hill (German)
Garfield (Irish)
Greenfield (Slovak and Hungarian)
Larimer (Italian)
suburb McKees Rocks (Ukranian)
suburb West Homestead (Slovak)
South Side (Slovenian)
Squirrel Hill (Jewish)

Pittsburgh has a character and an attitude that would surprise most who don't know the city. It will definitely surprise you in some pleasant ways.

Pittsburgh definitely saw its population and fortunes decline after World War Two. Some corporations moved out of the city. Others simply saw their fortunes decline.

Pittsburgh Datasheet

Does anyone here live in Pittsburgh or know anyone who does?

I'll be in Pittsburgh for the summer and I'm looking for nightgame wings. I know the city fairly well as I've lived there for short periods of time in previous years. In past years I've stuck to Tinder and done very well, but I want to expand into some of the nightlife.

I'm advanced in several aspects of game (online game, overall understanding of sexual marketplace, dates, closing, etc.) but still finding my stride in nightgame. Would be awesome to find someone who is more experienced at the latter.

Shoot me a PM.

Pittsburgh Datasheet

I’ve been to Pittsburgh recently a lot for work. I can shed some light on bars I think are worth Visiting.

Sienna Mercado - trendy rooftop bar downtown. This is where all the young professional hotties hangout after work for happy hour. Gets packed with hot girls on the weekend as well. This was my favorite place in Pittsburgh.

Tequila cowboys - fun bar on the north side. This is where all the hot young White girls go to booty dance to rap music and take shots. Every city has one of these bars, and this is the Pittsburgh one lol. Also there’s several cool bars next door so you can always bar hop if this isn’t your scene.

Mario’s on the south side. Every local recommended this place to me as a cool place to have beers and get some good food. Lots of hot girls frequent this place as it’s the prototypical Pittsburgh bar. South side bars has more or a college vibe to it, but I saw girls of all ages here.

I had fun at city works and the yard in the market square downtown area. Good food and beers and lots of cuties out and about. I was really surprised how many hot white girls are in Pittsburgh. It’s kind of a hidden gem. My coworkers told me it’s because of all the colleges in Pittsburgh that attracts the hot white girls. However girls do get married young here.

Pittsburgh Datasheet

I've been here only two weeks so far but I can already tell this city is INCREDIBLE FOR GAME.

I am 20/31 #/IG closes on daygame approaches, and have pulled twice in three nights out, something I've never done before in San Francisco.

There are hot girls all around the city, meaning you can game everywhere and all the time.

What's crazy to me is that I still haven't even found another guy running "Game" here.

Pittsburgh Datasheet

Quote: (02-13-2018 02:18 PM)Scorpio Rising Wrote:  

When you watch an NFL game and the Steelers are on the "road" you invariably hear some dumb announcer state about how Steelers fans "travel well." The truth is a five or more decades long diaspora has left ex Pittsburghers living from coast to coast. Most of my cousins who did the best economically left the area for greener pastures. A damn shame because the Pittsburgh area is a great place in many ways.

Yes, this is exactly right. Pittsburgh fans are everywhere, and this is why. You can definitely find them in Austin.

Pittsburgh Datasheet

Quote: (06-19-2018 07:26 AM)corsega Wrote:  

I've been here only two weeks so far but I can already tell this city is INCREDIBLE FOR GAME.

What's crazy to me is that I still haven't even found another guy running "Game" here.

My theory is mid-tier cities are great for game. Easier to stand out if you're a transplant/tourist. You have friendlier and more open people, less crowded conditions, but still ample nightlife/street opportunities vs a small town. It's a good combination of factors to have a better game experience. A few cities fit that bill.

Plus, Pittsburgh is full of young people with the colleges and hipster scene there. Good situation for game. Baltimore was similar a few years ago, but now I wouldn't touch it because of the out migration and crime.

Pittsburgh Datasheet

Pittsburgh is fun, I grew up a few hours outside of there. The girls are nice and don't have giant bitch shields. I think this has to do with a few things. Smaller city mindset, men are expected to be men there, etc.

It's a good place to check out, the sports scene is top 5 in the country.

Pittsburgh Datasheet

Quote: (02-13-2018 08:25 PM)beta_plus Wrote:  

Quote: (02-12-2018 12:53 PM)Dagger20 Wrote:  

Excellent data sheet.

My background is in Economics and Finance with some studying to be an actuary, so I often look at the world as a combination of the percentage of risk and penalty to be paid for losing. One thing about Pittsburgh that struck me is that it seems if you are truly white collar you'll be fine, but if anything happened like a major shift in the job market and you have to switch to blue collar or service work for a bit you'll be in a heap of trouble, unlike other places I've been such as Charlotte or Dallas.

As well, when costs that should be at least somewhat lower than what is sometimes ranked as the most expensive metro area in the lower 48 (DC) are not, such as gas, uber, and nightlife, that makes my spidey sense tingle.

Nice aerial shot of Pittsburgh. Something about its shape & layout almost reminds me of a miniature Lower Manhattan / downtown NYC.

Will need to put the Burgh on my shortlist of cities to really spend a weekend in some day. Seems to be a reasonable 4 hour & 20 minute drive from my nest in suburban Detroit.

Pittsburgh Datasheet

Still going strong here in Pittsburgh for the summer. If anyone is coming through, shoot me a PM. Have a couple guys I daygame/nightgame with occasionally.

Pittsburgh Datasheet

I visited Pittsburgh over Labor Day Weekend, 2018.

I have a couple of updates.

Nightlife in Oakland:

Unless you have access to Pitt fraternity or student house parties, the nightlife in Oakland is minimal. There are a few bars serving seniors and grad students. However, if you can get yourself invited to a Pitt student party, the talent is very good.

Special Mention: The Union Grill: while not a good option for meeting women, this is a very good restaurant near Pitt & CMU. I highly recommend the perogies and Pittsburgh Salad.

The North Shore:

I went to a Pitt game at Heinz Field. Afterwards, my friends and I went to Tequila Cowboy. If you know how to handle very loud venues, this would probably be worth going to, especially after a game. There is a strip of corporate style bars running from Heinz Field to PNC Park to the Andy Warhol museum.

Pittsburgh Datasheet

Pittsburgh is an underrated and great city, it seems to be coming back, and their is a lot of female talent, with limited competition.