rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Early days of a Start up founder

Hello im new here but been stalking this page for months. I'm the founder of 2 startups which are in VERY VERY early stages. One is an Automotive app (which is JUST a concept no designs yet) and the other is a safety device for kids (which has a Macgyver style prototype made by myself).

After stalking this page i've noticed many guys on here are successful businessmen. How did you guys schedule your days in the early days? Also how hard was the process of getting funding for you all

"You can't be broke and happy. So me, I'm mad rich"-Lil Wayne

"Give her an escape from reality, Give her a personal oasis and she'll always come back for more."

Step number one: don't use the word start-up. You have a concept and a very rough prototype.

Using trendy words to describe a business that doesn't exist yet, has no employees and is nothing more than an idea isn't going to do you any favours.

Step number two: acknowledge that no one can tell you how to schedule your time based on the miniscule amount of information you've provided in the post above.

Step number three: learn some basic skills, such as the ability to create a step-by-step plan that move you in the direction of your goal. If you can't even figure out how to do this, your chances of making forward progress are low.

I'm the King of Beijing!

I agree 100%, after all the research I've been doing start-u[p just seemed like an appropriate word. but i agree

Step 3 is fine. I have the basic skills down (well learning more everyday) and my plan is made. however I'm scared my plan isn't efficient.

pretty much what im asking is after having a rough prototype is it smart to immediately seek out investors, email journalist. seek backers etc.

"Give her an escape from reality, Give her a personal oasis and she'll always come back for more."

Quote: (02-12-2018 12:19 AM)Keepiticy2 Wrote:  

I agree 100%, after all the research I've been doing start-u[p just seemed like an appropriate word. but i agree

Step 3 is fine. I have the basic skills down (well learning more everyday) and my plan is made. however I'm scared my plan isn't efficient.

pretty much what im asking is after having a rough prototype is it smart to immediately seek out investors, email journalist. seek backers etc.

Step 4 is writing complete sentences everywhere you can with some understanding of basic grammar.

Trust me, this is incredibly important.

You just have to go for it with everything you have.

You're going to make mistakes.
You're going to do things inefficiently.

Part of entrepreneurship is taking responsibility for your decisions. If you want someone to make decisions for you and plan out your day, then work for someone because entrepreneurship isn't for you.

Also, if you have any doubt about the business in the early phase, then it will fail in the long term. I can guarantee this. You can, and likely will, go years before you see your idea become anything meaningful, so you must have 100% confidence that the end goal is worth the significant time investment.

A few thoughts:

As an entrepreneur your ability to communicate clearly and engagingly is probably 80% of the battle to getting noticed and gathering interest. Not just 'yeah I'll add you to my social media' but actual engaged paying customers.

Watch Gary V videos. And apply it.

Watch Simon Sinek's "how great leaders inspire action" and think about WHY someone should spend time or money on your idea(s)/product(s).

Buy and DO the workbook 'Is Your Genius at Work?' Seriously I don't care what else you're reading, do this now.

Walk at least 30 min a day - leave your phone OFF. Put yourself in a position to talk with real live humans. Do it on the walk, or at the market, etc.

Engage with people and be curious about them first. Don't tell them about your business idea. They WILL ask if you're honestly curious about them. This gives your a chance to practice your elevator talk in a casual way, so if/when you talk with someone who might be an investor or know one, it'll be fun and easy.

After you've discovered your genius, via the book I mentioned, do the Self-Authoring / Future authoring program by Jordan Peterson. Oh, good info on that forum thread.

Sweat at least every couple days. Not just weights or cardio but some kind of functional / fun activity. Good for networking and continuing to engage with people in a natural setting.

Buy the Wim Hof course. Watch the Joe Rogan podcasts with him.

I would find a meditation practice of some kind that works for you. You'll need it to stay calm and focused through very challenging situations not just in business.

I largely bootstrapped my business and did not want funding other than from willing family members and customers who believed in my visions to support me.

You need to appreciate how critical it is to earn people's trust, and then if someone goes wrong to make it right best you can. Business is a way to learn about your character. Because it's YOU that's on display, not your products. Build your brand, but not as a schtick - because you're honest about where you are in life, what you want to create, and (MOST importantly) WHY anyone should give a shit about your app or your product.

And for fucks sake, use proper English!

Good luck.

English is my second language but you guys are right. Thanks so much for the information

Scheduling is a highly individual thing. Only you'll know how best to structure your time, and how much time each project actually requires.

One thing I'd recommend is not falling into the trap of working on your business simply because it is there. There will always be more you can do, and if you're not careful it can consume you unnecessarily, at the expense of a great many other things. There will be plenty of times where you need to be working 18 hour days - or more - if it takes off. Do not let it be a millstone round your neck on the days where the work doesn't need to be done. Just do what's necessary, and you have the energy for, then go a little easy on yourself. One thing people don't talk about with all this is just how guilty you can feel once you have money tied up in a project, employees, etc etc. You'll have to work very hard if you're to get anywhere, so just don't beat yourself up too much if you have some lighter days thrown in too, and don't be afraid to take off early if there is nothing pressing.

With my first business, I had a 12 week period where I worked over 100 hours a week every week, straight, with no days off, living out of the front seat of my car (and sleeping there at whatever time I could grab an hour or two) just to keep the show on the road. It had to be done to meet our obligations, and it was brutal. The work itself was both physically and mentally demanding, in a stressful environment. I lost a stone. You'll have those sorts of period if your projects take off. The best way you can prepare for them is not to have beaten yourself down too much, or be avoidably in reduced spirits. Know when to push hard, and when to coast a little, and you'll do better work.

As far as funding is concerned, most investors don't want to touch apps, as they are notoriously hard to monetise - particularly if there is no genius software/algorithm behind it all. More generally, most investors want to see that you have an income stream. People want a very large slice for not very much money generally if they are coming in pre-revenue. Your best bet if you can't get it off the ground without funding, and you have no previous track record, is probably to try crowd funding. Investors want to see real skin in the game, which is usually measured by you having put in serious 'sweat equity' for a prolonged period of time. Of course, if you've invented the next generation of battery technology, or something equivalent, then it's a very different story.