rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Seeing a Dentist without Insurance

I believe i've found a dental cavity in my mouth. It's been awhile since i've seen a dentist. I brush and floss every day and use hydrogen peroxide everyday with a remineralizng mouthwash once a week.

I only have regular old Obamacrap care. How does one go see a dentist affordably without dental insurance?

There's no such thing as affordable dental anything. Insurance for any pre-existing condition will cancel out any "savings". If you have good credit, but are short on cash, many dentists offer something called CareCredit, which allows you to finance your operation at 0% interest for six or twelve months. You can also apply for a new credit card to finance it. That's probably your best bet. Also, you can ask if they have any financial hardship options for discounting if you can prove you're strapped for cash.

John Michael Kane's Datasheets: Master The Credit Game: Save & Make Money By Being Credit Savvy
Boycott these companies that hate men: King's Wiki Boycott List

Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Dental plans are generally separate from your regular health insurance. I have a plan from work that basically pre-pays two cleanings a year and gives coverage for major dental issues.

When I went without insurance and busted a tooth, I had to get a root canal done. I called the dentist and worked out a price and payment plan. You might actually get a better price if you call ahead, since the dentist doesn't have to deal with waiting for an insurance payment.

If you are really broke, check out if there are local dental schools near. An experienced dentist trains a student with you as the subject. Less scary than it sounds.. People I worked with regularly went this route since it was a fraction of the cost. Back when I had a payroll, I sent one of my laborers to the dental school to get a root canal. He went from being double over in pain to having his tooth fixed and back at work.

It could be prohibitively expensive, just like going to a doctor without insurance. But the other nailed the best two options.

Here's a link that include guides for all US dental clinics. I had it because my insurance lapsed a while ago, never used it myself though:
https://www.dentalplans.com/dental-infor...ental-care

Quote: (08-18-2016 12:05 PM)dicknixon72 Wrote:  
...and nothing quite surprises me anymore. If I looked out my showroom window and saw a fully-nude woman force-fucking an alligator with a strap-on while snorting xanex on the roof of her rental car with her three children locked inside with the windows rolled up, I wouldn't be entirely amazed.

Dental work costs money. Know what costs more?

Trying to get laid with fucked up teeth.

In Ukraine dentists are for a price of a banana. Maybe in Cuba or Mexico you can take care of that on the cheap.

I havent had dental insurance in at least 10 years. A simple check up and cavity filling as long as its not a root canal or anything shouldnt be more then a couple hundred bucks. Find a dentist who has been around for a while who isnt i a shiny expensive building and call and tell them whats going on and ask for a cash price. I'd be surprised if you cant get a simple cavity filled for under $200

Thanks for the tips. I'm not "broke" by any means and can certainly pay for anything with credit. It's just something i'd like to not get sent to the cleaners for and was hoping for advice on ways to navigate this.

I found a dental college nearby that offers free cleanings in exchange for your time. I'm going to ask if they offer other dental services.

Make a trip to latin america. Just don't let the exterior of the buildings fool you. Most of them know what they're doing. Most of them. But you can't beat them prices. it's definitely affordable. [Image: banana.gif]

Dreams are like horses; they run wild on the earth. Catch one and ride it. Throw a leg over and ride it for all its worth.
Psalm 25:7
https://youtu.be/vHVoMCH10Wk

I got a filling done last weekend for $40 in Mexico.

The one they put in there before that was probably like 17 years old.

Dental stuff is old technology, plenty of Mexican dentists do fantastic work for fantastic prices, just go to a place with a lot of clients in a busy part of town.

Depending on what part of the U.S. you live in, it may be worth the drive.

Quote: (11-03-2017 08:35 PM)Spaniard88 Wrote:  

I got a filling done last weekend for $40 in Mexico.

The one they put in there before that was probably like 17 years old.

Dental stuff is old technology, plenty of Mexican dentists do fantastic work for fantastic prices, just go to a place with a lot of clients in a busy part of town.

Depending on what part of the U.S. you live in, it may be worth the drive.

Another potential option to think about is to see if there is a dental school in your area. They generally offer basic dental care and sometimes more at very reasonable rates. I did this years ago when I needed some dental work and the quality of the work done was actually top rate. The work was done by senior dental students that were supervised by their professors. The only thing that I didn't like about it was that the work can take a lot longer than normal to get done.

Glad this thread came up.i need to teeth pulled.will definetly check out those dental schools.

Spending money on your teeth and eyes is always worth it.

Don't be a tightass with these two areas of your health.

A filing shouldn't break the bank.

If you are getting major dental work, than go to Thailand.

google dental tourism. Mexico, Hungary, Thailand among others are known for good deals.

In the U.S., the insurance is a wash but it gets you pre-negotiated rates as part of a group. Ironically, if you pay cash, the list price is more, not less.

There are some bare bones groups you can buy for less than 10 bucks a month that gets you the discounted rates, do that if you are not going to travel. saw them advertised on late nite cable. Not really worth it except in your situation.

I'm getting a rool canal done in Ukraine. They did the "opening" part yesterday and the "sealing" part will be on Monday. So far, so good. No pain at all during the first part of the procedure. Total cost will be about $150, compared to my regular dentist's estimate of about $1,000.

Costa Rica has some great dentists at a fraction of the price as well

I'll also chime in about getting dental work done abroad.

I've had dental cleanings in Cebu and Kiev and have had crowns done in Bangkok and Kiev.

If it's not an emergency, get it done on your next vacation.

So for those whove made the trip out the country how much did you spend including getting to and from the place you got it done?

I am facing a similar problem. I suspect i might have to have a wisdom tooth removed, Maybe two. How much do you think that would cost in an expensive city??

Also, i will be in colombia in jan, so how much would same procedure cost there cash out of pocket in Bogota if anyone knows. If anyone has a recommendation for a Bogota dentist, please let me know.

Quote: (11-04-2017 11:58 PM)ShotgunUppercuts Wrote:  

So for those whove made the trip out the country how much did you spend including getting to and from the place you got it done?

I don't have insurance either. I was more or less living and backpacking around South America at the time last time I made a dental visit.

60USD for a cleaning I think it was or something like that. Or the time I got eaten alive by bed begs on an Ecuadorian farm I think it was about the same for a dermo visit plus the medicine. Which, hell I can't remember how much that was. Wasn't nothing way expensive.

Airfare/food/living expenses/memories...priceless.

Kind of like what edlefou recommended, that's what I do. Even now I wait to stock up on contact lenses til I get back to South America.If it ain't an emergency or something I thought wasn't seriously medically expedient whether dental or otherwise; I'd just wait til I head back south. I make visits to a dermatologist every time just to get things checked out. It's way cheap.

Ain't no bullshit either. Like for my contacts. I go in, read the chart, get my contacts and leave. No questionnaires, no interrogations, no waivers, no recommendations for follow ups, no hounding you with emails afterwards and bs birthday greetings. I get what I need, and I'm done. So great.

Just Google "English speaking doctors/dermos/dentists/whatever in X city." You'll find what you're looking for.

Dreams are like horses; they run wild on the earth. Catch one and ride it. Throw a leg over and ride it for all its worth.
Psalm 25:7
https://youtu.be/vHVoMCH10Wk

Quote: (11-04-2017 11:58 PM)ShotgunUppercuts Wrote:  

I never make a trip just for dental or medical stuff, but I get stuff done wherever I am at the time.

I love the attitude where doctors' and dentists' websites have price lists and I don't have to wonder what the price is like it's some kind of secret or something.

I can get blood tests, prescriptions, dental work, whatever I want as long as I pay for it. I don't have to get a referral or go to some doctor to tell me what the results are.

To answer your question, some recent dental work:

3400 UAH for a zirconium crown in Kiev
688 UAH for a cleaning in Kiev
800 PHP for a panoramic image in Cebu
800 PHP for a cleaning in Cebu

i had obamacare two years ago and went to the dentist for a cleaning. also for a cavity filling(or something of the like). didnt cost me anything. yeah its not the best insurance but it does cover some basic services. look into which dental offices accept your insurance (some of them do)

Quote: (11-05-2017 01:01 AM)LowerCaseG Wrote:  

I am facing a similar problem. I suspect i might have to have a wisdom tooth removed, Maybe two. How much do you think that would cost in an expensive city??

Also, i will be in colombia in jan, so how much would same procedure cost there cash out of pocket in Bogota if anyone knows. If anyone has a recommendation for a Bogota dentist, please let me know.

I've had three gold crowns installed in Bogota (Suba, close to the Bulevar mall). Price, including the gold, was just a little over $400 per tooth. Between 20-25% of the price for corresponding work here in the U.S. (North Texas) Quality work, based upon subsequent inspection by a U.S. dentist, whose opinion I trust.

Disclaimer -- I'm not a dentist. My understanding, though, is that non-impacted wisdom tooth extraction of lower wisdom teeth is simple--a regular dentist can perform the extraction--while upper wisdom tooth extraction is more difficult and might require an oral surgeon.

Quote: (11-03-2017 06:56 PM)The Beast1 Wrote:  

Thanks for the tips. I'm not "broke" by any means and can certainly pay for anything with credit. It's just something i'd like to not get sent to the cleaners for and was hoping for advice on ways to navigate this.

I found a dental college nearby that offers free cleanings in exchange for your time. I'm going to ask if they offer other dental services.

Here's what you should do. Ask some close friends colleagues etc for the name of a good dentist in your area. Google the dentist, see what kind of online reviews he has. Then when you have one that you want to try, call their office, tell them that you have a tooth that you think may have a cavity and ask them how much it is for an exam and an xray FOR THAT ONE TOOTH ONLY. Should be around $80 maybe less. If they balk at that, trying to upsell you over the phone then try a different office.

Once you go and get a diagnosis (hopefully you just need a filling but you need to have it looked at first), you can negotiate a lower price, tell them you'll pay cash. If you want, PM me and depending on where you live, I may be able to help you with a name along with giving you some other advice. At the very least though you can do the above. Or fly to the Ukraine or Colombia.

Check Groupon as well. I've seen deals for cleaning and x-rays for as low as $50. You might get lucky on the fillings.

David took his men with him and went out and killed two hundred Philistines and brought back their foreskins. They counted out the full number to the king so that David might become the king's son-in-law. Then Saul gave him his daughter Michal in marriage. 1 Samuel 18:27