rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Is there a way to study Operating Systems and Networking outside academia?

I have been working over the years to improve my IT skills.

Back in 2012, I made this post asking "What is the most valuable class to study to make more money".

The response from Urban Nerd was one that I have been thinking about ever since.

Of the classes that he listed, the two that I am missing are:
Operating Systems
Computer Networking

(I don't have Organization of Programming Languages and Software Engineering either but those don't seem quite as necessary)

I know that there are university courses that cover this, but are there alternatives?
For example, would A+ and Net+ certification be a good way to start down this path, followed by things like the CCNA and Linux+?
Are there other certifications that would be better?

As well, if university coursework is the only way to go, does one need prerequisites for these subjects?

There is no set way to learn anything, it's all about your preference.

I'm a big fan of online resources like Udemy and specialized sites for learning. You can learn almost anything with Udemy courses and most have discounts so you can pick up a comprehensive course for like 15 bucks.

Personally I prefer sites that combine reading and video resources, but also that require you to actually practice the things you're doing. For example, you'll learn more by spinning up a virtual server and following tutorials to complete tasks then just reading a book and not applying that knowledge.

Here's an example site that I enjoyed using to learn linux: https://linuxjourney.com/

There are a variety of sites like it in specialized areas that you can seek out depending on what you're looking to learn.

YouTube, google, by the hardware/software/udemy make a lab in your apartment and google

"I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story." Nas

As someone who worked in data storage/networking (for a vendor)...no, there is absolutely no class whatsoever that can take the place of real-world practice, or even prepare you on a basic level.

The CCNA still gave many of my colleagues problems even after they'd been through the 8-week bootcamp and taken multiple CCNA prep classes.

The best way to learn is to go break shit.

Quote: (10-30-2017 07:15 AM)This Is Trouble Wrote:  

As someone who worked in data storage/networking (for a vendor)...no, there is absolutely no class whatsoever that can take the place of real-world practice, or even prepare you on a basic level.

The CCNA still gave many of my colleagues problems even after they'd been through the 8-week bootcamp and taken multiple CCNA prep classes.

That makes sense, but how does one learn to break things in an affordable manner? I don't have the budget to go buy $25,000 worth of routers and servers just to ruin them.

As well, I'm also interested in the programming side. How do I learn how linux actually interacts with the microprocessor or understand what Apache is actually doing underneath the hood?

Its all on the internet my friend.

Also, you just can't beat getting a virtual drive set up in the environment you want to study and having a hands on play and fiddle.

Quote: (10-30-2017 07:54 PM)beta_plus Wrote:  

Quote: (10-30-2017 07:15 AM)This Is Trouble Wrote:  

That makes sense, but how does one learn to break things in an affordable manner? I don't have the budget to go buy $25,000 worth of routers and servers just to ruin them.

As well, I'm also interested in the programming side. How do I learn how linux actually interacts with the microprocessor or understand what Apache is actually doing underneath the hood?

That's the thing, I don't have a solution or I would have mentioned it in the first post ha.

Nor do I really think there is one...[Image: huh.gif] Wish I had a better answer for you.

I do think the route I ended up going though was excellent. I worked at a vendor, got all of their crazy-good training, then got hired away by a customer for way more money.

If you can find a job with a vendor, many times they have a 2/3/6 month bootcamp where you get to break everything to your hearts content.

If you're good at selling the stuff the programmers make you'll make a killing.

The best way to learn is through a project and I can't think of a better project right now than setting up some type of crypto currency mining rig. Learn something and possibly make some cash.

a) when people say break... they don't mean destroy. They mean fucking up. Fixing your own mess is the best learning tool. But it's not like your expensive lab is going to explode if you fuck up or something.

b) You don't need a 25k lab for a CCNA, something like this is more than enough:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cisco-CCENT-CCN...SwAHZUNzDx

You could get by with half that gear to be honest. I know people that have gotten their CCNA doing self study and only using virtual (emulated) labs without any real networking hardware.

But in my opinion you will learn way more if you can "touch the hardware"

CCNP you start needing a real lab like the one in the link, and CCIE starts to be quite tricky on your own. But up to CCNP, totally doable.

The problem will be getting real world experience in the workplace. Certifications are just paper, no employer takes them seriously without real experience to back them up.