rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Financial Accounts - Data Sheet

I haven't gamed women in all the exotic places around the world that a lot of you guys have, so in an effort to contribute something valuable to the forum, I'm submitting this financial data sheet. There is so much that can be discussed when it comes to financial accounts and I'm only scratching the surface. These are my recommendations and I'm throwing them out there very quickly so feel free to agree/disagree/contribute. I'll add more thoughts as they come up, as I'm sure I've left something out.

For interest calculations, I'm using simple interest to make the calculations quick and easy (and slightly inaccurate).

Checking Account
Background: Due to the Durbin Ammendment that was passed in the past year, banks are limited on the debit card swipe fees they can charge businesses. Given that banks rely on that revenue significantly, they have started passing the fees to the consumer (you and me) in the form of ATM usage fees and checking account service fees. So for example, Wells Fargo recently announced they would start piloting (in a few states) an effort to charge a $3 one-time fee every month to use the ATM. The big banks (e.g. Wells Fargo, Bank of America) also typically charged a monthly service fee on the account unless you maintain a certain average daily balance or you have direct deposit.

My recommendation: I currently use a credit union because it works for my situation and they have a good "no fees" policy.
If you're a world traveler, I recommend using the Schwab checking account. You have to open a Schwab One brokerage account but there is no balance requirement on that account, so you'll be fine. The down side with Schwab, and most of my recommendations, is there are very few, if any, brick and mortar locations to go and conduct business in person. I can tell you from experience that I am active with my money - always moving it around - and I never have to go to a bank. It's just not an issue.
The reason I recommend Schwab is because of the ATM reimbursement. You can literally go to any ATM in the world, make a cash withdrawal, and they will reimburse the fees. This is a great way for you int'l travelers to get foreign currency.
I also recommend Ally checking (more on them later) due to very similar fee structure as Schwab (essentially, none), but they recently stopped reimbursing foreign ATM fees.

http://www.schwab.com/public/schwab/bank...g/checking
http://www.ally.com/bank/interest-checking-account/

Savings Account
Background: There is only one reason to keep your money is a low interest account - such as those offered by Wells Fargo, Bank of America, and Chase - and that is because you need to store it with the anticipation of needing very quick (same day) access to it. Even then, understand that you are only getting .05% on the typical Wells Fargo account.

My Recommendation: I recommend using a high yield online account such as American Express Savings, Discover Savings, ING, FNBO.
These banks all pay in the 1% range which is historically terrible, but still better than a paltry .05%. I currently use an Ally Money Market Account as a savings account because the yield is comparable to the online savings account (.99%) and it serves as a good holding account until I transfer money into CDs (more on that later).
I know 1% is not a lot of money, but let's consider the following example:
I have $100k in my savings. At Wells Fargo @ .05% I am making $50 every year on that money. That is not even one night out for most guys here. If I stash that cash in an Ally Money Market account @ .99%, I'm making $990 for the year. That still sucks compared to what we're used to, but that is the difference between a night out or an airline ticket to another country. That said, with $100K, I'm going to show you why you should use an Ally Certificate of Deposit instead of a savings account.
http://www.money-rates.com/savings.htm

Certificate of Deposit (CD)
Background: CD's pay a certain interest rate based on a length of time that you are loaning your money to the bank or organization. If you buy a 1 year CD at 1% then you are essentially giving your money away for one year with the agreement you will receive your principle plus interest when the CD matures (or expires). CDs are safe investments that rarely outperform the stock market, but have become more popular choices given the turbulence and uncertainty in the financial world.

My Recommendation: I use CDs for larger sums of cash that I will not need immediate access to. I never lock up all of my money (I use Ally money market account as a stash account for easy-to-access savings). Typically I would not recommend CDs due to the low interest, but since the market is risky and we're trying to preserve wealth (for the purposes of this post), I recommend the Ally 5-year CDs. These CDs are the best because the interst is much higher than a 1-year CD and there is only a 60-day interest penalty if you break the CD early. So, using our $100k example from above, we know with Ally Money Market we can get $990 every year in interest. With a 5-year Ally CD that pays 2.30%, after six months you have already exceeded the money market account and earned 1.54%; 12 months your interest rate is 1.92%; 18 months you're earning an average of 2.05% and so on. That means your first year you earn $1,920 with a 5-year CD instead of the $990 above. Is it a lot of money? No. But that $1,920 is better than $990 and will buy you a nice little vacation to game women and get pussy. All for what? Nothing. You just let your money sit there and earn for you. I split my money across a half dozen 5-year CDs that way if I need a little emergency cash, I just break one CD and the others keep earning 2.30%.
Note: The Ally 5-year CD has since gone down a few basis points but still above 2%.
http://www.ally.com/bank/high-yield-cd/

ATM/Debit Cards
There are only two reasons you should regularly use a debit card:
1) To withdrawal cash from an ATM
2) If you are too financially irresonsible to use a credit card instead.
Otherwise, you should pay for EVERYTHING with credit or cash.

Credit Cards
Background: I pay for everything with a credit card. Every time I swipe my card I want to be earning something from it. You should never swipe your card and pay it off without getting miles or points.

My Recommendation: Keep track of the latest offers through forums (fatwallet.com or personal finance websites).
I use the Chase British Airways card because I picked it up during a recent special where you got 50k miles for opening the account and an additional 50k for spending $2500 in three months. That's 100k miles I picked up in just a few months. I get 1.25 miles for every purchase and pay a $95 annual fee. I paid the fee once and will cancel by next year, but not before I get at least two int'l tickets out of this. All for what? A $95 annual fee and using my card for everything. If I choose to use one of British Airways partners, I can fly domestic U.S. with American Airlines and get at least four tickets (25k miles each) with the miles. If Southwest is your airline of choice, they have a great card with great bonuses. American Express Starwood is probably the most popular because you can use it for hotels around the world (among other things) and you get a bonus 20% miles when you convert your points to miles (20k points gives you 25k miles and thus a domestic U.S. ticket).
Just remember, you should be getting SOMETHING EVERY TIME YOU SWIPE YOUR CARD. Throw away your Wells Fargo or Bank of America credit card.
http://www.nerdwallet.com/

Brokerage Firm
Background: When you're trading, access to quality chart software (i.e. your trading platform) and low transaction fees are absolutely critical. If you're an investor, it's more about access to funds and indexes.

My Recommendation: I have friends who use Trade King (http://www.tradeking.com/) and love it. It's kind of the Southwest Airlines of the brokerage world; that is, low-cost and no-frills trading. I personally use Fidelity because they're service is top-notch and their trading platform is very good. Important to note that right now, for me, cash is king. I haven't made a trade in about a year. Prior to going all cash, I was making about 300-500 trades every year. Fidelity charges about $8 per trade and that trends on the higher side for what active traders pay, but I was ok with the fee structure because their trading platform (Active Trader Pro) is one of the best. I am comfortable with it and I personally believe this helps me trade better (and negates the higher transaction price). I don't look forward to trading for awhile, or at least until we recover from this shitty fiscal environment (probably never). I keep my retirement accounts with Fidelity as well.

I need to get a good points credit card.

If you apply for enough credit card offers and have something of a decent credit score, you can get 10's of thousands dollars worth of airline points for maybe a couple of hundreds of dollars. Many of them also transfer and you can do all sorts of shenanigans. You can then threaten to cancel unless they waive the fee, and they often do.

Good info.

Quote: (09-10-2011 11:34 PM)ersatz Wrote:  

If you apply for enough credit card offers and have something of a decent credit score, you can get 10's of thousands dollars worth of airline points for maybe a couple of hundreds of dollars.

I've been doing this game the last few years. I have two American Airlines cards and I got a total of 150,000 miles just for signing up. 25,000 miles = round trip to Mexico; 30,000 miles = round trip to Colombia or Peru. So I have enough points for about 5 round trips to Latin America I just have to pay the tax of around $50 per round trip.

I have the Delta Airlines Amex Card and received 50,000 miles with them and I just cashed those in for $450 in Amex gift cards.

I have two Starwood Amex cards and I received 60,000 Starwood points which can be redeemed for free hotels. Free rooms start at 3,000 per night. I already redeemed about 10,000 points and saved $350.

I have to offer a different opinion regarding using your credit cards for everything.

Every time you use a credit card for a purchase, the credit card company is taking 3-5% of the total sale which would have gone to the vendor. This might not sound like a lot, but if you are small business, it can really add up. Why should Visa get 3% of your gasoline or supermarket purchase, just because you think that getting all these "miles" is going to put you ahead in the long run? How much is your annual fee for the card? How many things have you really gotten with all these points? Did you ever not pay your balance one month, then get hit with interest? How much was that? How about if you make a big purchase at a small company, ask for a cash discount? More often they would rather do that than give a cut to AMEX.

I have started paying cash for everything. I go to the bank a couple of times a week, and usually I have about $200-300 in my wallet at all times. This way I know exactly how much I am spending, and I'm not hit with a huge bill at month end. I only use the card for hotels and cars when I travel, and for online purchases.

In the 3 years that I have had my Bank of America card I have accumulated enough miles to buy a camera. A $160 camera. I would feel better about going to the store and paying cash for the camera, rather that waiting three years to say I am really getting it for "free" because of all the points i have.

Most of these credit cards offer the bulk of their points up front. You can get some serious points for signing up for a card, using it for about $500-3000 in transactions and then cancelling it before you have to pay an annual fee, if there is any. You have to play the points game properly, not like the typical consumer if you want to get a lot out of it. You don't get large amounts of points for just using one card all the time.

In many countries other than the USA, debit card transactions are a flat .25 or some other small fee. And square, the paypal of credit card processing, is a flat 2.75%, and if your a business who isn't a hole in the wall, maybe has a few locations, you can get a rate that's equivalent to 2-1.25% with some bank. Also many businesses make it very painful to use their services if you don't use a credit card, such as car rentals, flights, hotels, etc. There are also costs for businesses for handling cash in general. They have to secure it, they have to count it, they might have to buy a safe for it, they have to worry about counterfeit bills, they have to hope their cashiers don't skim some, since the till usually isn't balanced fairly frequently, they have to go to the bank to deposit it, etc, etc.

http://www.visa-asia.com/ap/au/mediacent...ange.shtml

Quote: (09-11-2011 12:30 PM)jdelisi Wrote:  

I have to offer a different opinion regarding using your credit cards for everything.

Every time you use a credit card for a purchase, the credit card company is taking 3-5% of the total sale which would have gone to the vendor. This might not sound like a lot, but if you are small business, it can really add up. Why should Visa get 3% of your gasoline or supermarket purchase, just because you think that getting all these "miles" is going to put you ahead in the long run? How much is your annual fee for the card? How many things have you really gotten with all these points? Did you ever not pay your balance one month, then get hit with interest? How much was that? How about if you make a big purchase at a small company, ask for a cash discount? More often they would rather do that than give a cut to AMEX.

I have started paying cash for everything. I go to the bank a couple of times a week, and usually I have about $200-300 in my wallet at all times. This way I know exactly how much I am spending, and I'm not hit with a huge bill at month end. I only use the card for hotels and cars when I travel, and for online purchases.

In the 3 years that I have had my Bank of America card I have accumulated enough miles to buy a camera. A $160 camera. I would feel better about going to the store and paying cash for the camera, rather that waiting three years to say I am really getting it for "free" because of all the points i have.

I understand your view on small businesses getting ripped over credit card transaction fees, but having been a small business, I can tell you that they pass those fees on to the consumers. Either way, the consumer pays. But, as a consumer, it's not in my interest to worry about small businesses paying excessive fees from credit card companies.

How many points or miles you accumulate depends on how much you spend. I used to travel for work and spent over $50k per year on my personal card for travel expenses. I raked in the miles flying around and charging everything. If you spend $100/month on your card, then sure, you're not going to reap big rewards. Right now, with no business travel on my calendar this year, I spend on average 1-2k per month. That's why it's critical to find the cards that are giving big signup bonuses when you're in the market for a card.

My personal view on balances is you should not carry them. I charge everything but pay it off before the cycle even closes.

One thing not mentioned is the importance of good credit. People should not fuck up their credit by applying for too many cards in a short period (1-2 years) and carrying large balances. You live and die by your credit profile in the U.S. unless you can pay cash for everything.

I stopped reading when you mentioned 5 year CD's. You will lose money if you "invest" in CD's because of the high inflation rate of the USD

Quote: (09-11-2011 04:08 PM)zoom Wrote:  

I stopped reading when you mentioned 5 year CD's. You will lose money if you "invest" in CD's because of the high inflation rate of the USD

You must have missed the part where I said I went all cash from the stock market with the goal of preserving wealth as much as possible right now. And if you read further you would see the 5-year CDs can be cashed out with very little penalty, freeing your cash up for other investments.

Let me know how you intend to beat inflation. After all, there's a reason why it's called the "silent killer" and can literally cripple a nation. Good luck with beating it.

You need to invest in something that will give you an annual return better than 3-4%. Right now there is a bull market for commodities, have you noticed the recent increases in gold and silver? Gold and Silver will always retain there value because you can always print more money, but there is a finite supply of gold and silver.

Watch the prices skyrocket over the next year- there is no reason to settle for wimpy returns of 1-2%. People can make a lot of money in bad economic times if they do their research.

Quote: (09-10-2011 11:01 PM)Dash Global Wrote:  

I need to get a good points credit card.

Dash, if you can swing it.. get the Chase Sapphire card. Love the rewards and very low/nonexistent fees.

minitip: For you credit card point getters.. Chase has a 'marketplace' set up that includes all of their affiliate links. They often have specials and give more points for purchase made through their gateway. I can get 6 pts per $1 at Adidas online just by hitting their marketplace.

Do you guys still think Schwab is the best for online Checking Account?