rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Have you ever lost money from an ICO?

Have you ever invested in an ICO and the price went lower than the ICO price? Which coin was it?

Or did you have any close shaves where you passed up on partaking in an ICO and later saw that it dropped below ICO price?

As a newbie in crypto, I think knowing some examples and the likelihood of this happening would be valuable.

Lots of folks got rekt with Bancor...and some with ODN.

Cattle 5000 Rustlings #RustleHouseRecords #5000Posts
Houston (Montrose), Texas

"May get ugly at times. But we get by. Real Niggas never die." - cdr

Follow the Rustler on Twitter | Telegram: CattleRustler

Game is the difference between a broke average looking dude in a 2nd tier city turning bad bitch feminists into maids and fucktoys and a well to do lawyer with 50x the dough taking 3 dates to bang broads in philly.

Quote: (10-05-2017 11:24 PM)Cattle Rustler Wrote:  

ODN ICO price was around 4k sats tho, even after the recent dump it's still at 15-16k.

RVF Fearless Coindogger Crew

Rivetz...

Propy, and im are LAToken when the ICO is over and it hits the exchanges...

"I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story." Nas

LAToken is a sh**show. I also believe its a security. I would avoid.

Only way you could lose money with ODN since ICO is if you lost your account key. It's still up 3x minimum.

Quote: (10-06-2017 04:46 PM)SamuelBRoberts Wrote:  

Only way you could lose money with ODN since ICO is if you lost your account key. It's still up 3x minimum.

It's naive to assume everyone went in at the ICO. Plenty of folks bought at ATH....and were hit with the dip.

Game is the difference between a broke average looking dude in a 2nd tier city turning bad bitch feminists into maids and fucktoys and a well to do lawyer with 50x the dough taking 3 dates to bang broads in philly.

This was the ICO thread so I was speaking in context of losing money on ICOs.

I'm down 16% on COSS right now [Image: sad.gif]...should have known to wait for teh correction but noooo, I didn't want to miss another mooning mission after missing 3 COSS moons after not listening to SamB.

Back to the coal mines.

Me: nope. Thank goodness.

Please stick the topic guys otherwise this thread is pointless and deceiving. This is about coins that you bought at the ICO, not at a later inflated price.

Nope.

If you haven't, you will.

Quote: (10-07-2017 06:50 PM)Cattle Rustler Wrote:  

I'm down 16% on COSS right now [Image: sad.gif]...should have known to wait for teh correction but noooo, I didn't want to miss another mooning mission after missing 3 COSS moons after not listening to SamB.

Back to the coal mines.

Coss is now at 4.5X so the coal mines can wait for now... come tho think of it, it's never been down since the ICO finished

"I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story." Nas

Since making this thread, I've participated in 3 ICOs which I'm holding coins from that are now trading below ICO price (Airswap, Request Network, LAToken). I really hope that they go back up!

Quote: (10-07-2017 08:11 PM)NewDayNewFace Wrote:  

Me: nope. Thank goodness.

Spoke too soon. Enigma and Request messed me up a little.

REQt

If you got into ICOs after September it's likely you lost money. Before that only Bancor and a handful of other disasters actually lost money.

Some are suggesting we are entering the silver age of crypto where not every ICO will net you a profit for entering. I think this is wrong, however. I think 2018 will be a profitable year with wall street coming in full force.

Request Network was my first ICO where I'm currently in the red. But I haven't sold yet...

I got Reqt, although to be fair I only lost one Ether, before putting it back to bitcoin.

The ICOs in October were mostly rather poor and have got hit hard with the Bitcoin forks and resultant bull run. I wouldn't say the ICO market is mature at all and expect another pump by year end. Certainly have to be much more cautious though. There will be plenty more free money opportunities to come.

Any recommendations for a noob who wants to play in the ICO market at all? Threw some money into BTC/ETH last week. Realize the ICO market is a gamble so will just be playing play money into it. Not sure how I go about finding ICO's to invest in and where to do so?

You can check the $ value the ICO raised here and compare to the market cap on CoinMarketCap.

However, the market cap isn't a great way of measuring a value of a coin. The markets are very thin and with a $20,000 dump you could take 20-50% off a coin with an 8 figure cap. I forget the exact amount but I think I chopped about 10% off the Golos market cap with a $6,000 dump.

So if an ICO raised $12M and the current market cap is $12M you are on very shaky ground.

Going through the list here as some rough gains/losses:

Bancor: -$80M
Kin: -$66M
TenX: +$109M
MobileGo: -$27M
MCAP: +$16M
Loopring: no change
Moneta: -$23M
BasicAttention: +$104
Civic: +$66M

I think most have been much higher at some point. There are some ICOs that are now trading at much higher prices like Golos and Stratis, but most of these are pre the Apr 2017 crypto rally. The space is becoming very crowded with a lot of very similar coins. The main thing I would look at the buy on is names and buzz. People aren't buying on fundamentals. On that EOS is my main tip to bubble into the top 10 and expect Monero, NEO and ETC to fall away.

Quote: (11-03-2017 10:40 PM)Turnus Wrote:  

Any recommendations for a noob who wants to play in the ICO market at all? Threw some money into BTC/ETH last week. Realize the ICO market is a gamble so will just be playing play money into it. Not sure how I go about finding ICO's to invest in and where to do so?

See the above link and also this. I would keep it to coins being backed by big names, with big teams and ideally something new. And know the prices of these coins is almost wholly speculation that they will be worth more in the future.

I don't think there are any ICOs right now that are likely to sell for above ICO price at listing.

Rivetz, Req. Broke even with SALT.

The Maximally Pathetic Schema: Xs who labor to convince Ys that “I’m not one of those despicable Zs!,” when in fact it is obvious to the meanest intelligence that the Ys see no difference between Xs and Zs, don’t care anyway, and would love to throw both Xs and Zs into a gulag.

- Adrian Vermeule