rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The Altcoin (day) trading thread

Since there's no main altcoin trading thread, thought it would be a good idea to make one.

Here's my list of altcoins I'm balls deep in atm for short-term trading (1-7 days):
  • BAT: Mercury release coming up soon (https://basicattentiontoken.org/bat-merc...al-update/)
  • MTL: Alpha Wallet
  • FUN: Coin burn
  • SALT and LINK for swing trading (risky but scooped up consistent profits between 5%-20% and few big one's on the exchange launch, drying up now)
Next:
  • XRP
Who else here doing daytrading with altcoins? What's your holdings?

I hear Obsidian is being pumped by 4chan. Would be a good swing trade for a couple hours or a day. Current price is .73 cents. Last night it was 60 cents. This is for swing trading only. Do not hold.

I started my crypto adventure barely more than a week ago and have been reading a ton and watching some of the seemingly relatively credible YouTube videos on the topic.
I'm using Coinigy with Bittrex to try out some initial low volume day trading, and while I was initially very enthusiastic about potentially making 5-10 small profit trades per day (2% on each would be satisfying), so far I would have profited a fair bit more by just buying Bitcoin and letting them sit there.

Instead I've been in and out of Ethereum, NEO, ADX, OmiseGO, Ripple, TenX and a few more. Won on some, lost a little on others, and basically gained zero traction.
Yes, I know we're talking about a very small timescale here - just some amateurish initial impressions.

Right now I'm leaning towards mostly just investing long term in Bitcoin, Ether and likely Ripple. And then do some swing trading between those and perhaps a few others with high market cap.
I think trying to get in on those brief pump and dumps is likely to make a newbie lose his hair (well, that ship has mostly sailed anyway) and money.

Avoid “participating” in pump and dumps of alt coins unless you are part of the team orchestrating it.

ODN is actually legit brahs, I've been shilling it all day so can't be fucked to explain all the details right now. I've also made an extra 1k ODN just trading on the swings but am planning on holding on to this gem for a while.

Actually fuck it I'll summarize:
  • still only 20 million marketcap
  • active, communicative, commited devs who've been in the blockchain sphere for quite some time
  • advised by lead monero dev
  • much more than just a messenger app, it's actually a platform for privacy-oriented dapps that want to utilize their network of nodes to host their dapps
  • Proof of stake with 10% annual returns if more than 10k ODN owned
  • Messenger (just the first dapp built on their platform) enables secure, untraceable transfer of information, files, and money (by transferring ODN from user to user) through the network
Just the messenger alone would easily put this token in the 50-60 million market cap range- in general I'm a big fan of privacy tokens but this really makes things super simple for people to conduct business that they don't want anyone spying on- whether you're buying hookers, paying for drugs or doing anything else like that- makes communication and transferring value in a completely secure way very easy.

Then add on to that the fact that this shit is a proof of stake token with 10% returns, and the potential for their blockchain to host an entire ecosystem of privacy-oriented dapps and then you start to realize that this is far from some random shitcoin.

Also should add- they're apparently announcing a new (big) exchange listing this week, so it would very much be worth your while to pick up some ODN on cryptopia before it properly blows up.

Trust me this is not just some 4chan pump and dump, the more I've read about it the more hyped I am about its potential. I'm already up 50% since buying 2 days ago but I think there's still plenty of gains to be made- would recommend you get in ASAP before it blows up on the big exchanges coming up.

[Image: 1tTfPRC.jpg]

RVF Fearless Coindogger Crew

ODN is legit. I took my money yesterday and am seriously regretting it. It's the best looking coin on the market right now. There was a planned dump by some major coinholders that got canceled because holy shit, why sell when it's going nuclear." Honestly the smartest thing I could do is buy back but my ego won't let me.

BAT is going to die. Don't invest in BAT, unless you want to sell before Mercury. Be RUTHLESS about your stop-losses. Whales are getting smarter about dumping on people now, it's not just "buy the rumor sell the news" it's "buy before the rumor starts and then sell the rumor".
FUN is risky but potentially good. Haven't looked, can't comment. I personally don't like it but that means nothing.
MTL is a smart buy but a major major support line broke. This COULD be a sign of an incoming moon or it could be indicative of the fact that fucking everything on 'trex is dying lately.
XRP is laughable as well from a long term perspective.

Quote: (10-03-2017 12:11 PM)NewDayNewFace Wrote:  

I hear Obsidian is being pumped by 4chan. Would be a good swing trade for a couple hours or a day. Current price is .73 cents. Last night it was 60 cents. This is for swing trading only. Do not hold.

Would not advise this.
ODN is a cryptopia coin and their liquidity is shit and their books are easily wiped out. It will be very easy to get trapped in a bad position, especially as ODN starts to underperform (temporarily) in the next week or two. If you want ODN just buy and hold it. It will go up bigtime when it gets listed on larger exchanges.

Another thing to keep in mind when playing with Cryptopia is that their withdrawl limits are about 3.5k a day.

Quote: (10-03-2017 06:03 PM)SamuelBRoberts Wrote:  

Would not advise this.
ODN is a cryptopia coin and their liquidity is shit and their books are easily wiped out. It will be very easy to get trapped in a bad position, especially as ODN starts to underperform (temporarily) in the next week or two. If you want ODN just buy and hold it. It will go up bigtime when it gets listed on larger exchanges.

Swing trade!!! It's at 80 cents now. Bought some at 60 cents and just sold. Only put a thousand in but like I said... a good swing trade. Especially in a correction day like today this is solid. As I mentioned before swing trade is for the quick flip in a couple hours or days. Easy gains.

Quote: (10-03-2017 07:24 PM)NewDayNewFace Wrote:  

Would not advise this.

Swing trade!!! It's at 80 cents now. Bought some at 60 cents and just sold. Only put a thousand in but like I said... a good swing trade. Especially in a correction day like today this is solid. As I mentioned before swing trade is for the quick flip in a couple hours or days. Easy gains.

Excellent work, you were right here and I was wrong.

I am putting a lot of money into COSS, because I am a crazy, crazy person.
I recommend you look into COSS, and then you say, "I am a sensible human being who doesn't like seeing their money disappear in a puff of smoke. I'd better not buy COSS."

Quote: (10-03-2017 08:46 PM)SamuelBRoberts Wrote:  

Quote: (10-03-2017 07:24 PM)NewDayNewFace Wrote:  

Would not advise this.

Excellent work, you were right here and I was wrong.

I am putting a lot of money into COSS, because I am a crazy, crazy person.
I recommend you look into COSS, and then you say, "I am a sensible human being who doesn't like seeing their money disappear in a puff of smoke. I'd better not buy COSS."

I feel you dog. Only reason I took the risk was because the person that told me is someone who has made some good cals in the past and I trust him. If it was someone I didn't know I wouldn't trust it all.

So very understandable. It's hit or miss out here.

Not sure what to do. I want to free up capital but someone is dumping the coin I'm most invested in and it is down 10%

Likes denote appreciation, not necessarily agreement |Stay Anonymous Online Datasheet| Unmissable video on Free Speech

What coin?

WTC

I can only hope that 4chan does a dump on ODN so I can get a masternode.

If I invested yesterday, I would have been able to afford one.

Likes denote appreciation, not necessarily agreement |Stay Anonymous Online Datasheet| Unmissable video on Free Speech

I will wait out the dump, and look at ODN later today. There's no reason for the dump in the slack.

SUB is currently top pick on the Binance community vote: https://www.binance.com/vote.html
If it wins (deadline tomorrow) it will get listed on Binance, so will see a good spike hopefully once it wins and gets listed. Can get it on Etherdelta. Also, it's just over ICO price of $0.10.

Thanks for the ODN, picking up some, it's in a small dip atm.

Also LRC, rumours will get re-listed on Binance. In the past that meant the kiss of death of a coin, nowadays seems it has the opposite effect. Need to check a bit more on that one though.

Sold off my BAT.

Quote: (10-04-2017 02:01 AM)Jean Gabin Wrote:  

Thanks for the ODN, picking up some, it's in a small dip atm.
I've sold a tonne of VEN and WTC and dropped it into ODN now.

My fetish for green haired Taiwanese babes may have driven me temporarily insane, but fingers crossed.

Quote:Quote:

Sold off my BAT.

Smart move, most of the potential gains come from the hype.

Thanks to thebassist I literally bagged the bottom of the damn candle on ODN.
+1 rep from me.

BTW, the same amount of money I spent on the ODN ICO to buy 10,000 coins now got me a little under 2,000.

SALT taking a big dive (much harder than other coins today) so picking some up under 1k SAT.
Also picking up some NXC, will get back to +7K SAT in the next days.

Quote: (10-04-2017 07:34 AM)SamuelBRoberts Wrote:  

Thanks to thebassist I literally bagged the bottom of the damn candle on ODN.
+1 rep from me.

BTW, the same amount of money I spent on the ODN ICO to buy 10,000 coins now got me a little under 2,000.

It's at 90 cents now. You guys are Winning!!

Where do you guys trade? I can't see any of those on Coinbase. I'm a newbie.

Some very smart people are shilling me NXC. Sounds like a good buy.

Quote: (10-04-2017 11:00 AM)Pete Wrote:  

Where do you guys trade? I can't see any of those on Coinbase. I'm a newbie.

Trading coins can be done on an exchange. Issue is there's a ton of them (listed by volume https://coinmarketcap.com/exchanges/volume/24-hour/ ), of which some very shady.

My personal recommendation is to stick to Bittrex, Binance and HitBTC.

Quote: (10-03-2017 05:59 PM)SamuelBRoberts Wrote:  

XRP is laughable as well from a long term perspective.

Started to pick up now.

Quote: (10-04-2017 11:01 AM)SamuelBRoberts Wrote:  

Some very smart people are shilling me NXC. Sounds like a good buy.

Heard the same (and bought). Steam/game release.

Quote: (10-04-2017 11:38 AM)Jean Gabin Wrote:  

Started to pick up now.

Oh yeah these things are always mooning and dying for one reason or another.

Quote: (10-04-2017 11:01 AM)SamuelBRoberts Wrote:  

Heard the same (and bought). Steam/game release.

I played with NXC in the pump running up to early access. A word of advice: be absolutely ruthless about profit taking here. I wasn't and turned a big win into a little win, and if I'd screwed up it could've been a loss. Stop losses are the order of the day.