rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Seth MacFarlane's Orville crashes

Episode one had some hope, fairly funny, and the guy wasn't a complete simp to his ex-wife. However it looks like they were just setting us up for a bigger SJW "women do no wrong" story arc in the future.

In episode 2 they go "Full Retard" SJW. I've actually never seen so many SJW tropes crammed into one episode of anything. They have a GRRLL power/racial minority Starfleet affirmative action hire that clearly hasn't paid her dues but is somehow more badass and capable of command than everyone else. And of course, strong as a hundred men despite her diminutive stature. This was possibly time to coincide with the Marines being forced to commission the first female front line infantry officer.

They crammed in an intersex/gay marriage/adoption theme (this was actually how the Affirmative Action hire got in command, the "guy" above her had to have a baby with his boyfriend).

They had subplots for "meat is murder", ethnocentrism etc. so many things I don't know how they fit them all in one episode.

They capped it off by the back stabbing ex-wife from episode 1 being the secret hero of the man she betrayed.

Was to be expected. After all, McFarlane is a fag.

Quite the antithesis of Family Guy which is so politically incorrect and as a result....hilarious

Quote: (09-21-2017 10:19 PM)Rush87 Wrote:  

This was exceptional, even by Hollywood standards.

Quote: (09-21-2017 10:21 PM)DarkTriad Wrote:  

Quote: (09-21-2017 10:19 PM)Rush87 Wrote:  

This was exceptional, even by Hollywood standards.

The one downside of the Trump era.

Hellywood folk can't help but project their derangement onto their projects.
Whether in defiance or for reassurance.

Case in point. The recent Emmy's.

The thing about Hollywood is that they're only a 10 billion dollar industry. Trump is worth more money. With the persuasive reach of T.V and movies, profit margins are taking a backseat to propaganda [And the big liberal backers can afford it].

Quote: (09-21-2017 10:55 PM)Rush87 Wrote:  

The thing about Hollywood is that they're only a 10 billion dollar industry.

Maybe in la la land Hwood's worth 10bil. [Image: dodgy.gif]

Try over half a trillion.

Quote: (09-21-2017 11:30 PM)monster Wrote:  

I'm talking in terms of their profits. Not their contribution to GDP, which is an irrelevant topic when discussing why they are producing agenda driven propaganda which typically runs at a loss.

I don't know anything about the show but as faggoty as people on here might think it is or how shitty it is might be irrelevant, this thing could be on the air for multiple seasons, win an Emmy and be deemed a successful series.

The world we live in is fucked remember.

Episode three was actually interesting. The Only-male-sex race had a female baby and decided in order for it to fit into their society, they had to have it "reassigned." The protagonists fought against it. Actually brought a strange light to the Transgender debate, with the protagonists actually arguing "Let her grow up and decide" It literally hit on everything from Transgender Reassignment Surgery for children to circumcision.

Quote: (09-22-2017 02:33 AM)trian1 Wrote:  

Episode three was actually interesting. The Only-male-sex race had a female baby and decided in order for it to fit into their society, they had to have it "reassigned." The protagonists fought against it. Actually brought a strange light to the Transgender debate, with the protagonists actually arguing "Let her grow up and decide" It literally hit on everything from Transgender Reassignment Surgery for children to circumcision.

But all framed through the lens of "women are better than men".

Spoiler-ish: "Ha-ha! On this planet that's 100% male, the most famous male writer is actually a female hermit! Clearly you're racist, sexist, and homophobic for some reason"

My thought when they did the scan of the planet was that they'd find out everyone there was born female and they'd all had the sex-change operation, making it a society of women pretending to be men. That would have been challenging to the status quo.

"I'd hate myself if I had that kind of attitude, if I were that weak." - Arnold

Portlandia lampoons hipster culture without actually insulting hipsters. Sounds like this show is trying to lampoon SJW culture without actually insulting them.

Quote: (09-22-2017 07:49 AM)Benoit Wrote:  

Quote: (09-22-2017 02:33 AM)trian1 Wrote:  

But all framed through the lens of "women are better than men".

Spoiler-ish: "Ha-ha! On this planet that's 100% male, the most famous male writer is actually a female hermit! Clearly you're racist, sexist, and homophobic for some reason"

My thought when they did the scan of the planet was that they'd find out everyone there was born female and they'd all had the sex-change operation, making it a society of women pretending to be men. That would have been challenging to the status quo.

Would have been a much better twist :-)

It wouldn't be fair to pigeon-hole Seth as a SJW. The guy is a raging horndog and isn't afraid to present protagonists that way, (see Ted). I think he occupies that middle space where he thinks he can be openly sex crazed and still claim to respect women. Whether women (especially the Chanty Binx types) buy into that is another story.

Am I one of the few people on Earth who doesn't find MacFarlanes nostalgia driven schtick funny or interesting?

“As long as you are going to be thinking anyway, think big.” - Donald J. Trump

"I don't get all the women I want, I get all the women who want me." - David Lee Roth

Maybe I didn't read into it, but I liked it.

Sort of Star Treky with a more modern approach. First episode was a bit of a dud, the second one got better.

I watched the second episode out of curiousity.

I'm really confused by the Legality of it, and have no idea how it's allowed on the air, since it's an outright theft of someone else's intellectual property, and I don't see it as funny enough to be considered a parody of Star Trek, the way something like this was:

[Image: QuarkCast.jpg]

It's just 'Star Trek' with the names sanded off and replaced.

As a creator, this worries me. It's the sort of thing you expect from the Asian Countries where they don't believe in Intellectual Property.

I remember watching SBS one night in the early 90's, and and Indian movie came on. After my girl and I had been watching it on and off as we lay on the couch, she suddenly sat upright and said "Oh my god, this is just 'Return To Eden'!" (A terrible Australian Miniseries from the early 1980's that all the girls in school watched because it starred a then-current Australian Rock Star).

It also featured songs.

Have a listen, and understand there's only one credited songwriter, Sadhana Sargam.

Oddly, there's no mention of Vangelis and his famous theme to 'Chariots of Fire'.

I feel like 'The Orville' is really pushing at it.

Quote: (09-22-2017 04:56 PM)AnonymousBosch Wrote:  

Damn! That's a vile voice. How do they even sing like that?

Seth has been on a SJW role for years now. He appeared on Larry King calling all Tea Party people a "bunch of racists". Penn (from Penn and Teller) shut him down pretty well.

^ 2:31. Alpha Relationship Goals: quietly-reading a magazine in the garden whilst ignoring both my girlfriend's over the top 'sexy' dancing in the window for the binocular-clutching perverts in the neighborhood, and my psychotic ex stalking me whilst standing right out in the open and staring without blinking.

Quote: (09-21-2017 11:39 PM)Rush87 Wrote:  

I'm talking in terms of their profits. Not their contribution to GDP, which is an irrelevant topic when discussing why they are producing agenda driven propaganda which typically runs at a loss.

You're way off.

First, no one measures an industry's value by profit. It's measured by Revenue.

Second, Hwood is still the epitome of capitalism and much more driven by profits than promoting an agenda, it's just they see that promoting an agenda leads to higher profits at this time.

Third, the entertainment industry has industry profitability (EBITDA) margins of around 12%, which translates to $60 billion on $500billion in revenue. Get outta here with your $10b pennies! [Image: fatbanana.gif]

Quote: (09-23-2017 04:54 PM)monster Wrote:  

You're way off.
Second, Hwood is still the epitome of capitalism and much more driven by profits than promoting an agenda, it's just they see that promoting an agenda leads to higher profits at this time.
Third, the entertainment industry has industry profitability (EBITDA) margins of around 12%, which translates to $60 billion on $500billion in revenue. Get outta here with your $10b pennies! [Image: fatbanana.gif]

It will be interesting to see how Hellywood fairs once the superhero trend joins the 70's Western trend & the 80's action movie trend.

While there is the occasional anomaly (2017's IT), once all those $600mil to $1billion superhero movies fade away, can't see much at this time that will replace those cash cows.

Quote: (09-23-2017 04:54 PM)monster Wrote:  

Quote: (09-21-2017 11:39 PM)Rush87 Wrote:  

You're way off.

I doesn't matter so much if their worldview is so off they think stuff like the Ghostbusters remake would be profitable. The agenda goes hand in hand with the profit motive in an echo chamber/sewer like that. People who even suggest this stuff won't be embraced by the mainstream are blackballed and ostracized, how are these people supposed to understand what profitable is?

The profit model of hollywood is "slate financing." A couple blockbusters will bankroll all the rest. It's adopted this for the last couple decades to account for the unpredictability of what will be popular and what won't.

Quote: (09-22-2017 04:56 PM)AnonymousBosch Wrote:  

As a creator, this worries me. It's the sort of thing you expect from the Asian Countries where they don't believe in Intellectual Property.
I feel like 'The Orville' is really pushing at it.

It's not just that, though, it's the fact that he's bringing in several people from Trek to work behind the scenes and is even promising familiar guest-stars.

There is no real attempt to hide behind plausible deniability when you do things like that. It's as if he's attempting to "fork" Trek off and siphon off a certain segment of Trek fans and production talent in the process.

Being derivative in Hollywood has a long tradition, but this takes it to a new level.

I mean, I like the show, but I feel like I'm watching a Led Zeppelin tribute band. Even the little bloop and bleep sound effects are identical to TNG.

Even Galaxy Quest, had they not done it as a parody, changed things around more.

I hope Avery Bullock from American Dad! will have a role.

[Image: Ab81j3R.jpg]

Likes denote appreciation, not necessarily agreement |Stay Anonymous Online Datasheet| Unmissable video on Free Speech