rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

DNA lineage test & ancestor kit total bullshit?

I don't know if any of you have done this, there are several companies that offer this product, like 23andMe, AncestryDNA, and more. My parents both did theirs and some of the results sound like liberal inserts. I have done some of my own genealogy on my family and had some pretty interesting results, but for example say, if your whole family is white and they throw in a 2% black or African, or a 4% Indian (dots not feathers) then there is something really fishy going on, especially if there is no one in your family for the last 100 years of your direct ancestry who is of this blood.

I have a theory that since its mainstream there is a lot of bullshit to it. Anyone else agree, disagree, or have other facts about it? Alot of what I hear from other white families who have done this is that there is a token color ancestor somewhere down the line to create a subterfuge that everyone is multicultural, therefore making it easier to assuage the minds of those culturally resistant to an idea from the elite.

I have yet to do my own, but am deciding on whether or not I want to seeing the results of both of my parents.

If you already have the result of both parents, what would be the value of doing yours?

I meant with a different company, to see if there is anything skewed or different.

A few reasons:

1) There are few cut-and-dry genetic markers for any ethnic group. These are based on statistical genetic resemblance to a subset of the genes that are commonly found in a target population that was selected to identify that group. Those 1-2% "trace matches" are often random statistical noise for this reason, and most of these companies rely on different source databases to define their groups. The ancestry.com whitepaper has a graph on page 11 that shows the overlap for European samples and why it's tricky.

https://www.ancestry.com/dna/resource/wh...hite-Paper

2) 100 years isn't very far. Even if you go back four generations from your parents to get to 100 years from today, that gets you down, theoretically, to 6.25% for each ancestor from that generation.

3) Even that's sketchy. Any mutations aside, it's my understanding that although you received one allele of each chromosome from each parent, and they received one allele of each chromosome from each of their parents, it does not follow that you received 25% of your genetic makeup from each grandparent. In most cases, you're rolling the dice on every single chromosome and an ancestor may be randomly under- or over-represented in your genotype.

3) A source population, like Sicily, often has genetic substrates from other groups. The original settlers were closely related to Persians, then Greeks, then the Romans, and Arabs, Moors, and Normans came through in the medieval period. If your ancestors were from an invading upper class, they might have very different backgrounds from the peasant villagers. Maybe you expect your genes to look "Scottish", but which Scots, where, when, and were they descended from people who would be considered Scots at the time your ancestors decided they were Scottish or today? Descendants of Vikings who ruled in northern Scotland are well-assimilated today and would be influential in most samples of modern Scots, but if your family came to the New World from a Protestant lowland city in the 1700s, there were still large class differences from Catholic highlanders and there's less of a chance they'd have intermarried with them, so you might not see the same pattern in your Scottish family that you'd expect from averaging modern native Scots.

[Image: J2DH8zX.jpg]

Hidey-ho, RVFerinos!

My family knows a lot about our family history, and our 23&Me tests were very accurate for our racial makeup. It's anecdotal, but it still seemed to work for us.

Quote: (09-06-2017 11:57 AM)Laska Wrote:  

My family knows a lot about our family history, and our 23&Me tests were very accurate for our racial makeup. It's anecdotal, but it still seemed to work for us.

Yep, mine was accurate to known genealogy, confirmed a maternal family story, and likely debunked a paternal one. Same for the LTR's.

We both had trace results that may or may not mean anything at all, but there's always been people going back and forth. Come to think of it, half of Europe has been populated with Romani since the 1300s, which might offer a practical explanation for South Asia/India/Pakistan popping up in a white guy's DNA profile unexpectedly.

Hidey-ho, RVFerinos!

Take that money you would have spent on 23andMe and hire a genealogist. Heck, you might find someone who enjoys doing it for free.

Either way, you'd have better luck going that route. I have records dating all the way back to the mid 19th century. Unfortunately, the records stop there because certain world wars and the allies bombing the living sh!t out of anything German.

I could check out grave sites, but my ancestral home town was raped and pillaged by the Soviets. I took a trip there and seeing the before and after pictures made me horribly depressed.

Quote: (09-06-2017 12:49 PM)The Beast1 Wrote:  

I took a trip there and seeing the before and after pictures made me horribly depressed.

I got the same feeling from giving myself the World War II tour of Crete. Some days you're the wrecking ball and some days the wrecking ball is coming after you just because you happen to be standing there.

Hidey-ho, RVFerinos!

Quote: (09-06-2017 12:49 PM)The Beast1 Wrote:  

Take that money you would have spent on 23andMe and hire a genealogist. Heck, you might find someone who enjoys doing it for free.

Either way, you'd have better luck going that route. I have records dating all the way back to the mid 19th century. Unfortunately, the records stop there because certain world wars and the allies bombing the living sh!t out of anything German.

I could check out grave sites, but my ancestral home town was raped and pillaged by the Soviets. I took a trip there and seeing the before and after pictures made me horribly depressed.

Second that. Professional genealogists aren't paid much, so they'd be cheap. They also have connections to groups and individuals who have particular sets of records, and are usually efficient and friendly. You'd also be paying someone to do what they love, and what they have skills for.

Some of my immediate family members did theirs and the results came back pretty much as expected, the only exception being an even higher percentage of Eastern European ancestry than we previously thought. I think there also might have been like 1% Irish or something, in spite of the fact that we're unaware of any such ancestry. No weird "token" ancestries though.

Like Jetset said, those 1-2% matches usually have a pretty low measure of confidence since they could easily be statistical noise. I think some of the DNA companies even mention this as well.

Yeah. I'm going to send my DNA to some spook front organization.

"You can count me out." -Hudson, Aliens

Hiring a geanologist sounds fun, gonna do that sometime!

I myself wondered for the longest time if I had a veritable chunk of slavic/balkanic genes because people always took me for some some sort of slav,balkan and/or balkanic gypsy.
Turns out it was my SA indian ancestry that gave me the cheeks and eyes!

We move between light and shadow, mutually influencing and being influenced through shades of gray...

This is relevant to the 'almost all men should eventually marry and have kids' to those who think your 'legacy' will live on when only 2-3 generations forward your ancestors won't have the faintest idea of who the fuck you were.

Come now, at least for me , finding out my genealogy is a fun activity.
Practicality is somewhat questionable unless we can get some deep genetic info in order to maximize nutrition and exercise effectivity but why not?

We move between light and shadow, mutually influencing and being influenced through shades of gray...

Quote: (09-06-2017 03:01 PM)Disco_Volante Wrote:  

This is relevant to the 'almost all men should eventually marry and have kids' to those who think your 'legacy' will live on when only 2-3 generations forward your ancestors won't have the faintest idea of who the fuck you were.

My family's patriarch that came to America wrote a journal of his experiences and copies of it have been passed between family members.

We all know his name.

There are some cool tools on gedmatch.com esp the admixture+oracle that are much better than 23andmes analysis. You can upload your 23andme data to gedmatch and then use the tools for free. Its very good.

Quote: (09-06-2017 12:17 PM)Jetset Wrote:  

Yep, mine was accurate to known genealogy, confirmed a maternal family story, and likely debunked a paternal one. Same for the LTR's.

If your relationship is such that you're having detailed discussions about your DNA ancestory tests, probably best to call her what she is: your girlfriend.

I'm the King of Beijing!

IS there anyway to get my doctor to give me a dna test so I can see where my ancestors came from?

Quote: (09-06-2017 03:26 PM)The Beast1 Wrote:  

My family's patriarch that came to America wrote a journal of his experiences and copies of it have been passed between family members.

We all know his name.

[Image: Christopher-Columbus.png]

I'm the King of Beijing!

Quote: (09-06-2017 11:07 AM)IstillLoveVistaBaby Wrote:  

My parents both did theirs and some of the results sound like liberal inserts.

Trying to give the least to the jews as I can, sending them your DNA, cash and getting bullshit paper does not seem to be worth it for me.

I simply go by looks. If my hair is blonde, my eyes are blue and I am dying in high heat, I assume that I am not an African. It's pretty easy, science just created the need for science.

Something to think about. I been able to go about 100-150 years back and insert about 300 people in the family tree just by talking to my grandfather.

Remembering my friend "I want to change my last name, that shit does not mean anything, why would I carry it and pass it on my children when I don't even know what it means."

I guesss back in the day just nobility recorded their lineage, because they were eventually the only human tribes in society that mattered and to some peasant it was not of any importance.

Quote: (09-06-2017 07:56 PM)PuppetMaster Wrote:  

IS there anyway to get my doctor to give me a dna test so I can see where my ancestors came from?

No, but you can do it on your own. Look up DNA testing kits. You can only approximate your ancestry by DNA testing; for example, if you only have a few percent of something, you may not have it at all.

Quote: (01-18-1970 04:59 AM)Suits Wrote:  

If your relationship is such that you're having detailed discussions about your DNA ancestory tests, probably best to call her what she is: your girlfriend.

Fair enough. Either way, she got me one for my birthday, knowing my interest in history, and it's a fun project for us both.

Hidey-ho, RVFerinos!

Ancestry.com is owned by the Mormons so if you want to give them your DNA don't say I didn't warn you.

Aloha!

Quote: (09-06-2017 10:37 PM)Kona Wrote:  

Ancestry.com is owned by the Mormons so if you want to give them your DNA don't say I didn't warn you.

Aloha!

If they bought it, it's so they can have access to all those records.