rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Bowhunting - Spearfishing- Game Primal Connection

Hello,

I am new to this forum but find it to be a wealth of information. I feel compelled to share this post and hopefully some knowledge I have experienced in my travels.

I practice 2 sports that I feel are intimately connected :
1. Bowhunting
2. Spearfishing (freedive breath-hold only, no scuba)

There is something primal about stalking the forest with a bow in hand attempting to end the life of an animal in order to devour its flesh. The skill, patience, equipment needed for succsess requires a high barrier for entry and as such all my bowhunting buddies are solid dudes and are among my best friends.

This also translates into free-dive spearfishing. Training to hold your breath for a few minutes and stalking fish on the reef or out in the blue and feeling there last struggle as you plunge a "kill knife" into their brain stem fullfills my deepest primal urge of what man is.

Also in connection to this forum a similar feeling is the conquest of a beautiful woman!

Which brings me to my point that perhaps there are others here that would benefit from these sports . I personally have spearfished the pacific coast of colombia after banging colombian hotties in Bogota , Bow-Hunted Roe Deer in Finland among-st blue eyed beauties of the split tail variety...and pumped and dumped worthless American broads in between ELk and Whitetail season in the USSA.

The combo of these sports and game has played a monumental role in my development as a man. My confidence, killer instinct, interest to train physically and master a skill have all increased my value as a man. i feel this is not unique and others may allready have made these connections or have interest in doing so.

IM not exactly sure what I expect to accomplish from sharing this, but I feel compelled to none-the-less. I suppose it is my way of adding to and giving back for what this forum has given to me.

Where did you spear fish on the pacific coast of Colombia? I spent a few days in Bahia Solano/El Valle and went out fishing with a rod and reel, caught a few dorados and tuna.

I've been meaning to give spearfishing a try, I'd be curious to know what equipment you used when first starting out. And how steep was the learning curve, did it take a while before you could start nabbing fish?

Quote: (08-25-2017 10:26 AM)scotian Wrote:  

Where did you spear fish on the pacific coast of Colombia? I spent a few days in Bahia Solano/El Valle and went out fishing with a rod and reel, caught a few dorados and tuna.

You know Enrique in Bahia Solano?

Quote: (08-25-2017 10:49 AM)Chevalier De Seingalt Wrote:  

I've been meaning to give spearfishing a try, I'd be curious to know what equipment you used when first starting out. And how steep was the learning curve, did it take a while before you could start nabbing fish?

I would suggest practicing static breath holds out of water and buy the following gear to get started.

1. Spear Gun
2. Long fins
3. Weight Belt
4. Wet-suit
5. Kill Knife
6. Freediving (Small Displacement) Mask and snorkel
7. diving flashlight
8. Diving flag on long line and float w/ stringer.

Its also advisable to take instructed classes but I did it on my own just swimming out from the beach and gradually working my way up in depth and time. ALWAYS HAVE A BUDY SPOTTING YOU,, blackout is very dangerous. Spearfishing is probably one of the most deadly sports you can practice (part of why I like it so much)

OP is trolling

Quote: (08-25-2017 10:49 AM)Chevalier De Seingalt Wrote:  

ive been thinking about dropping some spearing info here. would anyone else be interested?

OP, can you say what are good resources from where you learned how to extend your breath holding? I hear its a bit complicated than inhale and shut mouth so I ask.

Quote: (08-26-2017 05:38 AM)sterling_archer Wrote:  

OP, can you say what are good resources from where you learned how to extend your breath holding? I hear its a bit complicated than inhale and shut mouth so I ask.

You can practice Apnea tables. Basicly holding your breath in increments over time , 30 seconds and 30seconds off for example. Your body needs to become comfortable with the lack of oxygen and build up of CO2 . You will slowly build up a tolerance and will be able to hold your breath longer and longer. Between dives relax in water and let your arms and legs relax and breath deeply and slowly so as to take in as much oxygen as possible into your system.

When I started it was difficult for me to dive 15 Feet, Now I can hit 60-75 feet depending on conditions. It took me a few years of diving to reach this point.

Quote: (08-25-2017 08:18 PM)MediumRare Wrote:  

OP is trolling

Care to elaborate? In what way is this thread trolling?

Quote: (08-26-2017 05:38 AM)sterling_archer Wrote:  

Also I would add that since I noticed you are in Croatia it would be an ideal place to practice both sports, especially if you could find a place that allows bowhunting on their land.

Quote: (08-25-2017 10:26 AM)scotian Wrote:  

Scotian Bahia Solano and EL valle are great fishing spots. The hostel in EL valle is a great place to stay cheaply and fish and surf.

Enriques hotel in Bahia Solano was even better and included 3 amazing meals for like $40/ USD per day.

The best place to fish is a place called Rocas Del Cabo Marzo , a rock outcroping on the border of panama and COlombia. Its a few hours by panga to get there but worth it!

I speared mostly inshore while I was there so Cubera Snappers were my main target species and I go a big one that weighed like 40 Lbs. I also got an amberjack that was pushing 40 pounds and a rooster fish.

Ive been to the area a number of times and I would reccomend to bring a girl from Bogota or Medellin with you as there are basicly no attractive women there on the coast (in my opinion).

Ill POst some pictures of the recent Spearfishing and Bowhunting Kills I have had.

Quote: (08-26-2017 06:36 AM)JohnGalt007 Wrote:  

Ill POst some pictures of the recent Spearfishing and Bowhunting Kills I have had.

Nice elk! So that is your compound bow? I see that you have arrow holder mounted on. Does it bother you when you shoot? What can you tell me about your arrows and bow?

Why do I feel like this guy has a case of manosphere Asperger's syndrome?

"Which brings me to my point that perhaps there are others here that would benefit from these sports . I personally have spearfished the pacific coast of colombia after banging colombian hotties in Bogota , Bow-Hunted Roe Deer in Finland among-st blue eyed beauties of the split tail variety...and pumped and dumped worthless American broads in between ELk and Whitetail season in the USSA."

Campy sentence alert. Are you from India bro?

OP is a troll. Satire.

Quote: (08-26-2017 11:48 AM)Steelex Wrote:  

Why do I feel like this guy has a case of manosphere Asperger's syndrome?

"Which brings me to my point that perhaps there are others here that would benefit from these sports . I personally have spearfished the pacific coast of colombia after banging colombian hotties in Bogota , Bow-Hunted Roe Deer in Finland among-st blue eyed beauties of the split tail variety...and pumped and dumped worthless American broads in between ELk and Whitetail season in the USSA."

Campy sentence alert. Are you from India bro?

Steelex,

Thanks for your input. Im from Texas , But live in Europe.

Are you a bow-hunter or Spear-fishermen or have interest in these sports?

Quote: (08-26-2017 06:55 AM)sterling_archer Wrote:  

Nice elk! So that is your compound bow? I see that you have arrow holder mounted on. Does it bother you when you shoot? What can you tell me about your arrows and bow?

Ive recently changed bows to a HOYT , The bow in the picture is a Mathews. I shoot a 70lb Bow and prefer heavier arrows and fixed blade broad-heads for hunting. I like the Magnus Stinger brand broad heads 150 grain versions 2 blade are my favorite. The Carbon Express Pile Driver arrows are perfect for big game i shoot the 350 Spine .

When I hunt with my recurve I prefer even heavier arrows and heads. I shoot 315 Grain Heads on Heavy duty carbon fiber arrows to get as much penetration as possible from the relatively slower bow.

Studies have been done that show the optimum Arrow Configuration is of 650 Grains in total weight with 19% FOC (Weight forward of center) will penetrate an elk scapula at 20 yards . This applies particularly to Recurve/ Self bows and less to compounds which have more energy .

It is important to tune your Arrows, Arrowheads and Bow so that you get perfect arrow flight. Dont just practice with the practice tips screw on a broad head and go hunting. Practice with broadheads.

This is a picture of a Amber Jack I shot in the Darien Gap area of Colombia and Panama.

Quote: (08-28-2017 09:28 AM)JohnGalt007 Wrote:  

This is a picture of a Amber Jack I shot in the Darien Gap area of Colombia and Panama.

Having trouble uploading pics .

Looking to do my first Elk hunt in Colorado this Fall. Likely November. This will be a rifle hunt I'm all set with bow hunting. AneroidOcean is the resident spear fisherman.

John Galt, if you really change your compound with your made self bow, expect some changes in your hunt. Never hunted with bow, obviously, but I talked a lot with self bow archers and they all really like the change. Apparently you must get closer, arrows need to be selected differently (as you probably know), you cannot hold full draw like with compound because the bow will develop compression marks, etc. etc.

I think you are gonna enjoy it, especially if you do it with made of cool looking wood, such as osage orange. You didn't answer my question on bow datasheet. I asked you about what woods do you have in Idaho.

Quote: (08-28-2017 10:19 AM)sterling_archer Wrote:  

John Galt, if you really change your compound with your made self bow, expect some changes in your hunt. Never hunted with bow, obviously, but I talked a lot with self bow archers and they all really like the change. Apparently you must get closer, arrows need to be selected differently (as you probably know), you cannot hold full draw like with compound because the bow will develop compression marks, etc. etc.

I think you are gonna enjoy it, especially if you do it with made of cool looking wood, such as osage orange. You didn't answer my question on bow datasheet. I asked you about what woods do you have in Idaho.

In Idaho we have Pine , Cedar varieties. I also live in Estonia part of the Year and we have some nice oaks here. I think for my first bow that I make I will use a wood blank.

Dr Ashby did a study on selfbows and Arrow lethality that I think you would really enjoy reading. I will see If I can find it. Putting a lethal combo togethor with a home-made self bow is a bit more difficult than a compound.

Quote: (08-28-2017 10:12 AM)General Stalin Wrote:  

Looking to do my first Elk hunt in Colorado this Fall. Likely November. This will be a rifle hunt I'm all set with bow hunting. AneroidOcean is the resident spear fisherman.

First Elk hunt, thats awesome! Be careful its very addicting.

DO you hunt other species ?